Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor tax arrears

• 30-05-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭

As some of you know I have recently put my long term lancia project on the road. I went online last night to tax her and I've just discovered that although I declared it off the road when those regulations came into effect i failed to renew that claim annually and the tax office also failed to send email or postal notice that the car was due tax, the car is also still on the regular tax system so the arrears are now over €2000. How can I if at all possible can I ammend this without resorting to "selling the car" and having another two names on the log book?
    I'm going to the tax office tomorrow to explain my displeasure in person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Im in the same boat. I hope it works out for you, i was just gunna bite the bullet and sell it to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Im hoping to find a compassionate and understanding teller tomorrow but I'm afraid it'll be a case of computer says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Im hoping to find a compassionate and understanding teller tomorrow but I'm afraid it'll be a case of computer says no.

You won't get anywhere with them.

You can transfer the ownership to a family member and back into your name to cancel out the arrears...lots of people doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

As some of you know I have recently put my long term lancia project on the road. I went online last night to tax her and I've just discovered that although I declared it off the road when those regulations came into effect i failed to renew that claim annually and the tax office also failed to send email or postal notice that the car was due tax, the car is also still on the regular tax system so the arrears are now over €2000. How can I if at all possible can I ammend this without resorting to "selling the car" and having another two names on the log book?
    I'm going to the tax office tomorrow to explain my displeasure in person.

You won`t get anywhere in the Motor Tax office, you have mentioned the solution yourself in the last sentence of your post. Why put yourself through the aggravation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Been there! Done that! Even went to ombudsman and letter to Minister. Computer still said no. Sold it to the wife. Sent change of ownership to Shannon. Wife found a fault and cancelled the sale, just after the new Reg cert arrived. Sent change of ownership to Shannon. Taxed car as new owner. Job OxO.

Seriously fcuked up laws and regulations require fcuked up responses..

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Been there! Done that! Even went to ombudsman and letter to Minister. Computer still said no. Sold it to the wife. Sent change of ownership to Shannon. Wife found a fault and cancelled the sale, just after the new Reg cert arrived. Sent change of ownership to Shannon. Taxed car as new owner. Job OxO.

Seriously fcuked up laws and regulations require fcuked up responses..

I have an old brown log book wnd I'm only the third owner, just dont want to almost double the cars owner history just to get past a loophole.
    One things for sure and certain I wont be sending no book to shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

It looks like you have two choices:
    Pay the €2000 or
    Transfer ownership

You can bring the log book to your local motor tax office to transfer ownership - no need to post it to Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have an old brown log book wnd I'm only the third owner, just dont want to almost double the cars owner history just to get past a loophole.
    One things for sure and certain I wont be sending no book to shannon.

Local mto will have a supply of old log books. You can ask for your old one back .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's not a loophole, it's the situation you're in because, for whatever reason, you didn't keep up the SORD.
    Silvera is quite correct, only two solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

It's your own fault for not declaring it off road, the same thing happened to me so you either pay the 2k or transfer of ownership

• Advertisement

EPAndlee wrote: »
    It's your own fault for not declaring it off road, the same thing happened to me so you either pay the 2k or transfer of ownership

That may be but the fact is I did declare it off the road but failed to renew, why no email and post reminders that I get for my work van and other two cars? Seems like a money racket to me.
    Believe it or not I'm fully aware that it's my own fault for not reading up on the small print but if you read the question you would have known that.

For those interested, the kind woman in the tax office was able to change the tax rate to vintage and back date that which reduced the back tax to € 224.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Don't tell me you still handed over €224...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

For those interested, the kind woman in the tax office was able to change the tax rate to vintage and back date that which reduced the back tax to € 224.

that's brilliant news, you must be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

I was in exactly the same boat as you , It was also a lancia project that lasted 6 years.
    Declared it off the road but wasnt aware it had to be done every 12 months . stupid rule really . Why it isnt indefinate i dont know .
    I was hit with 5 years tax back tax as well so as other posters have said i sold it to my mate and bought it back . wasnt really concerned with the amount of owners on the log book sure with this system it will eventually be common to have 20 owners on a car.

Caliden wrote: »
    Don't tell me you still handed over €224...

Erm, like fook. I sold it to my daughter who has called it my will anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Nice result. When I first read your answer I guessed that you did pay the money (224) rather than adding another name to the book...such was your original intent not to do so?! Anyway, well done :)

Silvera wrote: »
    Nice result. When I first read your answer I guessed that you did pay the money (224) rather than adding another name to the book...such was your original intent not to do so?! Anyway, well done :)

I was going to pay it but the teller talked me out of it. Just have to suck up the extra names on the book.
    I genuinely think that is a money making scam by our dear government, they are well able to send an email to remind you when you're tax is due so why cant they send one for this?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

I was going to pay it but the teller talked me out of it. Just have to suck up the extra names on the book.
    I genuinely think that is a money making scam by our dear government, they are well able to send an email to remind you when you're tax is due so why cant they send one for this?

Do you mean the teller said it's ridiculous to pay this, just sell it to a family member?! Hilarious, if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How is it a scam if there’s a clear and legal way to avoid it?

• Advertisement

schmittel wrote: »
    Do you mean the teller said it's ridiculous to pay this, just sell it to a family member?! Hilarious, if so.

Exactly. She told me to go out and fill out the change of ownership form and come back. She stopped short of allowing me to immediately allowing me to return it into my name.

endacl wrote: »
    How is it a scam if there’s a clear and legal way to avoid it?

Its clearly a way to liquidate money from people.
    Its in no way legal to do what I did today. A couple of months ago here in wexford a guy was taken to court for fraud for transferring a car into his brothers name and back to avoid back tax, addmitidly he had done it on 2 or 3 occasions but the fact remains it isnt legal.

Its clearly a way to liquidate money from people.
    Its in no way legal to do what I did today. A couple of months ago here in wexford a guy was taken to court for fraud for transferring a car into his brothers name and back to avoid back tax, addmitidly he had done it on 2 or 3 occasions but the fact remains it isnt legal.

it is totally legal, they even have notices up in some places. You're not avoiding any tax if the car genuinely was off the road.

Isambard wrote: »
    it is totally legal, they even have notices up in some places. You're not avoiding any tax if the car genuinely was off the road.

I assumed he ment by transferring ownership. Why do you think they dont bother to issue reminders?

transferring ownership is entirely legal. Avoiding tax due on a car that was on the road is not, but no tax is due on a car genuinely off the road, but not declared SORD, until it goes back on the road and arrears disappear on new ownership. It's a daft system but that's how it's set up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I assumed he ment by transferring ownership. Why do you think they dont bother to issue reminders?
    It's not a case of bothering or not. To send reminders, that is a feature that would have to built into the system. They may or may not have looked at doing that at the time but decided a courtesy communication which would have cost X amount to develop and maintain was unnecessary expenditure. Or else they decided that it left them open to claims of "I never got the email" which people might try where they forgot and got charged tax. Does they even collect emails? At worst, they said - why should we be sending people reminders to complete some voluntary action.

At least it seems they aren't anal about collecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

If you are talking about the Wexford Tax Office then I met that kind lady when I was doing a first time registration. Gave me Vin/Vet three months early !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Only in Ireland would the 3 months on / 3 months off system (with the Garda stamp) be replaced with another very easy way to evade motor tax :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Exactly. She told me to go out and fill out the change of ownership form and come back. She stopped short of allowing me to immediately allowing me to return it into my name.

Fair play to that lady.

I have no issue with people using the above method of clearing the car tax on a vehicle in your situation.

What I do have an issue with is people driving it without tax and clearing the tax before getting a disc for 3 months once every 2 years.

Advertisement