If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Motor tax arrears



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭ Layla Panicky Wildebeest

    The sooner they bring in continuous taxation the better

  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭garyskeepers

    SO has anyone done this recently.

    Is it or ISN'T it legal to avoid paying tax by transferring ownership IF you car was on the road and you just forgot to pay the last tax

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭w124man

    The details in the log book are not necessarily the owners details but knowingly changing details to avoid paying tax in itself is a very grey area. Just because people do it doesn't make it legal. However, I'm told by someone in the motor insurance business that insuring yourself in someone elses car is an even greyer area. Be careful

  • Registered Users Posts: 12,763 ✭✭✭✭elperello

    It's a stupid system.

    It should be one transaction to declare it off road and one to resume taxing.

    A tip if you are the forgetful type - don't give them an email address and they will send a letter.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭Buffman

    Ancient thread I know but ye, it's a terrible system with the 12 month max declaration, as you say, should be able declare off road indefinitely and then just tax when required.

    I get a few of those letters every year, I know one farmer who between all his vehicles gets about 20 of those letters a year. Some waste of taxpayers money, they're wasting money in order to not collect motor tax.

    FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

    If you or anyone you know is 66 or over, claim the 'Household Benefits Package' if you're entitled to. Free TV licence and €35 a month for energy.