Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The voting register

Options
  • 25-05-2018 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

My brother and one of my cousins went to vote today. They found out when at the polling station they were not on the register. They've voted in previous general elections and referendums. Anyone else removed from the register? How and why did this happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If they were on it before that’s very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This is why you check the Register prior to each vote for each vote. Who knows why you might be removed, but only takes a minute to heck to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

db869b156149cffd44a979374660f20a_thinkception-thinking-face-emoji-know-your-meme-emoji-thinking-clipart_680-680.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Why didn't they check????

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The council occasionally send folk door to door to check the register against property occupants. If they had moved since they last voted it's possible they could have been removed .

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    The council occasionally send folk door to door to check the register against property occupants. If they had moved since they last voted it's possible they could have been removed .

Very ocassionally as well, if there are 2 or more booths at your local polling centre, you could be at a different booth for the next vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

evil_seed wrote: »
    My brother and one of my cousins went to vote today. They found out when at the polling station they were not on the register. They've voted in previous general elections and referendums. Anyone else removed from the register? How and why did this happen?
    A ) are you actually living at home?
    And if not
    B ) did your mother / father have a visit from the local person in charge of making sure the register is correct and tell them you and the brothers were actually living somewhere else ?

I was on the register at home, and my
    Mother told the guy the first time he visited that I was away temporarily so I stayed on the register.
    The next time she realised I was not coming back, so told him I was gone and I was taken off the register.

A lad up the road from my parents is away from home now for 23 years, and his folks make sure he stays on the register . Is all about the parents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there any logistical reason registration couldn't be done on the day if needed? A table in the corner of each polling station with someone doing the paperwork and a gard.

People would probably be more likely to register and vote if it was an option rather than having to go to effort outside of a vote runup.

I was added to the register 20 years ago at my front door by a neighbour canvassing for sf. Otherwise I may well have been lazy right up till 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Patww79 wrote: »
    2 won't make a difference anyway so I'd tell them not to sweat it.

I was removed when I left the country about 15 years ago but they mustn't do that any more when all this shower were allowed to swan back in to vote, so I'm not sure how they'd be removed nowadays.

A fella called to my parents door once when I was visiting and asked who was living there.

I had been on the register but told him I was no longer living there so he crossed my name off.

I re-registered for the SSM referendum at a different address after I’d moved back to Ireland, but for yer man I’d probably still be registered at my parents.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

People get removed from the register by different political parties if they are known to be away/dead and the family are known to be of a certain political persuasion. It's a game of cat and mouse for all the local candidates. They are not required to tell you either.

You have no idea on how much political parties study the registers using local reps/councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

People get removed from the register by different political parties if they are known to be away and the family are known to be of a certain political persuasion.

You have no idea on how much political parties study the registers using local reps.

Any actual proof of this?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I asked them to remove me when I moved counties a few years ago.

Muppets must have thought i was joking, so they added me to it. So I ended up being on it twice back in parents.

My father used to get 3 cards.
    First Name - Surname,
    First Name-Middle Name-Surname
    Middle Name- First Name - Surname

I think he is down to just 2 now.

The whole register is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I thought the rumours that both sides were getting people removed from the register were proven false as it couldn't be done by a 3rd party, so how can some lad at your parents door get someone removed then?

Not sure to be honest, I was living away and had been for a few years and so was happy to remove myself.

I can’t even remember if he had ID, thinking back it may have been very naive/stupid of me. He could’ve been anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So third parties can get someone removed from the register? Complete joke shop then.

No. He's having fantasies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Any actual proof of this?

A local Cllr told me it happens all the time. A lot of them actually work in or closely with the County/City Council. Her did not give me written proof and I did not ask for it.

Always check the register.

I will be at the count tomorrow and will ask again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

They would normally have received a polling card wouldnt they?

The fact that they hadnt should have set alarm bells off

• Advertisement

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I asked them to remove me when I moved counties a few years ago.

Muppets must have thought i was joking, so they added me to it. So I ended up being on it twice back in parents.

My father used to get 3 cards.
    First Name - Surname,
    First Name-Middle Name-Surname
    Middle Name- First Name - Surname

I think he is down to just 2 now.

The whole register is a joke.

I had three at one point as well.

One with first and last name, second with first, middle, and last. Both at parents.

Third at my own address.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

evil_seed wrote: »

Did they recieve their voting cards? If not - why not check with the voting register prior to today?

Why turn up to vote with no voting card - that makes no sense ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

gozunda wrote: »
    Did they recieve their voting cards? If not - why not check with the voting register prior to today?

Why turn up to vote with no voting card - that makes no sense ...

You don't need a voting card to vote so long as you are on the register of electors, you just need photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I'm registered in my current town. And I'm registered at my Home-Address twice with both my Common-usage name and my Birth-name. So I have 3 Polling Cards. I can't even find myself on checktheregister.ie. :rolleyes: But I do get occasional correspondence from the County Council about Supplementary Registers etc. Towns and Villages not being spelt correctly and missing letters on Google Maps and Phone GPS is for another day! :rolleyes:

It says on the Polling Card ya don't need it, but when I went in, the peeps on the 1st Counter took it off me and then told me to bring it over to the peeps at the Second Counter and they kept it. Have a feeling I wouldn't have been able to vote without it. Also the Voting Booths are very very questionable in my place! They're not closed-in at all and very public, very easy to see a person's card!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have they mentioned anything about doing it by eircode. That would sort all the misspelling of roads, towns etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Any ordinarily resident #hometovoters were eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I had two votes in the 2007 election. One in Wicklow and one in Laois. Ended up using the Laois one because I couldn't justify a three-hour round trip for the sake of a bit of electoral fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I had two votes in the 2007 election. One in Wicklow and one in Laois. Ended up using the Laois one because I couldn't justify a three-hour round trip for the sake of a bit of electoral fraud.

:D

My dad has worked at polling stations down the years and his tales of catching voting fraudsters make me feel exhausted. Crossing the country to commit it, some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You don't need a voting card to vote so long as you are on the register of electors, you just need photo ID.

The point was had the poster not recieved a voting card - then they should have contacted their local A. No card issued generally means not on the register of electors and therefore no vote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The "some lad" was obviously the 2nd party. The council.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement