Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The voting register

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

People get removed from the register by different political parties if they are known to be away/dead and the family are known to be of a certain political persuasion. It's a game of cat and mouse for all the local candidates. They are not required to tell you either.

You have no idea on how much political parties study the registers using local reps/councillors.

What? Proof please?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I got removed too, haven't moved,voted in last election,no contact,by time I realized i wasn't getting my card it was too late to get one

evil_seed wrote: »
    My brother and one of my cousins went to vote today. They found out when at the polling station they were not on the register. They've voted in previous general elections and referendums. Anyone else removed from the register? How and why did this happen?

Any chance they were in a different polling station due to a boundary change or something like that? Seems a bit odd that it happened to both brother AND cousin. I presume they didn't get polling cards? Did they realise they had not received polling cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I got "deleted" from the register too,, Fingal Co Co.. just found out the other day.. I have voted many times using my parents address,, a man called around to my folks house and asked who lives here kind of thing.. that was that,,

Sure I should have checked the register soooner,, but I would have thought the council should at least acknowledge when they delete you from the voting register.. (they don't)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I was speaking with a person (middle aged male) on Friday evening who had voted twice. No polling card with him. He just checked the register, rocked up with a bill from one previous address (had moved within last year) and a driving licence. Produced licence in oldest booth and quoted number from electoral register and just number from electoral register in second place!!! No bothers......
    Did same in last general election. Two different, but adjoining, constituencies outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Muzzymor

What is the actual legality of non resident citizens coming over to vote in Irish elections? Mainly referring to mainland UK people of Irish descent holding dual citizenship who have never lived in Ireland but seem to have registered using a relatives address etc. Not saying this happened in big numbers just asking about the legality etc.

My guess is nobody cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Muzzymor wrote: »
    What is the actual legality of non resident citizens coming over to vote in Irish elections? Mainly referring to mainland UK people of Irish descent holding dual citizenship who have never lived in Ireland but seem to have registered using a relatives address etc. Not saying this happened in big numbers just asking about the legality etc.

It's Ireland ffs!!! We talk and hurrrummmph, pay lip service and ultimately do nothing! Particularly if it would make sense or make local authority public servants have to actually work at something of importance......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

We need to do some sort of exercise to tidy up the register - maybe match PPS numbers with addresses and then if you're not there you can apply to be added through checktheregister.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Allinall

Finger print recognition.

Cut out all the messing.

If you don’t like it, you lose your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Muzzymor wrote: »

It's illegal.
    And you're right, nobody cares - the reason being that the issue of this bs of hometovoters only has arisen in two referendums and the side that were motivated to do so we're on the same side as the big political parties.

You can bet your backside that if hometovote had cost FG seats in the last election, the sorry excuse for an electoral register would be fixed.

It wouldn't even be that hard, just require voters to produce PPS for residency and eligibility verification at the polling station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

People get removed from the register by different political parties if they are known to be away/dead and the family are known to be of a certain political persuasion. It's a game of cat and mouse for all the local candidates. They are not required to tell you either.

You have no idea on how much political parties study the registers using local reps/councillors.
    What? Proof please?

Yes, it happens. In rural areas, how a family traditionally votes is often known. But, no, I won’t be able to provide proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yes, it happens. In rural areas, how a family traditionally votes is often known. But, no, I won’t be able to provide proof.

Correct. Fianna Fail are the best at this in rural circles. They will know the FF, FG, and Lab families in a every rural constituency's electoral area and make sure the register is fully "up-to-date" for the non-FF families which is why people randomly drop off the council register. I thought this was well known.

Advertisement