Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster v Ospreys (Ravenhill) 3:05pm BBC2NI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Has to be worth a lot of season tickets!

For the Ospreys at least Swansea have been relegated from the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

I heard a wee rumour that Carberrys future depended on the result of this...

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thank goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Scythica wrote: »

McPhillips is better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

He's not wanted! 
    Did Shanahan just hold someone up... seeing everything today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It was a story by Peter O'Reilly in today's Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Delighted for Ulster, a bit of good news in a period where the club has just completely imploded internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well it would be a hard sell without European rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

prawnsambo wrote: »
    If it needs sold it shouldn't be a starter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Must be a huge relief to be still in the top competition.

Congrats Ulster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

is John Cooney a former Leinster player?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

launish116 wrote: »
    Why should that be the case?

You may not like to hear it, but Ulster are a hard sell right now.

launish116 wrote: »

Aye, were bad but if Leinsters third choice ten thinks he’s above it he can stay where he is.

Stick with mcphillips and sign someone to sit on the bench, preferably someone older with experience.

Delighted, hugely important for Ulster and a platform now for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster Rugby, you will be the death of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Well done Ulster. I really feared for you today. Considering how different the team will look for their next competitive game, that is some result. Ospreys had a lot of big game players out there and despite a ropey start you dominated game and thoroughly deserved to win. John Cooney outstanding, surely will be on the plane to Oz now. His goal kicking is getting better all the time. Big result for Irish rugby, Ireland needed Ulster in the Champions Cup next season. I’m sure all at Ulster are glad this season is finally over. Hopefully Luke is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ulster young lads really fought today, play like that in next season and will be hard to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Stheno wrote: »

Yes, had a few appearances for Leinster but was stuck behind Reddan/Boss and then overtaken by McGrath, went on loan to Connacht for a year and then signed a contract with them, then went to Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Great result there. Hopefully Marshall's injury isn't serious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

From an Ulster POV I don't see the point in signing Carbery for a season qgen we should be developing McPhillips.

O'Toole was terrific today. Ridiculous that he is only 19.

That was probably Treadwell's best performance of the season.

Great cameo from Cave.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Aye, were bad but if Leinsters third choice ten thinks he’s above it he can stay where he is.

Stick with mcphillips and sign someone to sit on the bench, preferably someone older with experience.
    Leinster's "third choice" ten is currently benching behind Sexton in big European games. Bigger games than Ulster can currently dream of. So if Ulster can't beat that, yes it's a hard sell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Stheno wrote: »

Former Connacht player aswell

Leinster's "third choice" ten is currently benching behind Sexton in big European games. Bigger games than Ulster can currently dream of. So if Ulster can't beat that, yes it's a hard sell.
    Yea, he's benching, and Leinster continue to pick Byrne when Sexton doesn't play.

I can understand someone like Jordi Murphy thinking he might be too good for Ulster, but Joey Carbery with his bit-part role at Leinster? Yea, get a grip.

If he needs convincing he can stay where he is and enjoy playing full back and sitting on the bench. He's not worth wasting time on.

But not as big as Ireland RWC games, which Joe and Nucifora seem to be doubting he can be picked for, if he isn't the starting ten somewhere. Is an improved chance to concrete his position as back-up international ten a hard sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

We have no idea what Carbery thinks. No quotes.

At worst Ulster need another 10 in the building.

Absolutely true, Thomond. And I would happily take him. But the move is about Ireland, not Ulster.

But not as big as Ireland RWC games, which Joe and Nucifora seem to be doubting he can be picked for, if he isn't the starting ten somewhere. Is an improved chance to concrete his position as back-up international ten a hard sell?
    Well that's the speculation alright. Not sure it's in any way defiinite, yet. Still, that was a good performance today. Job done on that score anyway.

Yea, he's benching, and Leinster continue to pick Byrne when Sexton doesn't play.

I can understand someone like Jordi Murphy thinking he might be too good for Ulster, but Joey Carbery with his bit-part role at Leinster? Yea, get a grip.

If he needs convincing he can stay where he is and enjoy playing full back and sitting on the bench. He's not worth wasting time on.
    Maybe you should address those remarks to Joey. For a chap with a 'bit-part' role, he's collected a serious collection of gongs at a very young age. You think Ulster is an easy sell right now? To anyone?

Maybe you should address those remarks to Joey. For a chap with a 'bit-part' role, he's collected a serious collection of gongs at a very young age. You think Ulster is an easy sell right now? To anyone?
    And?

He got a gong last week without spending a second on the field for example. I'm not really sure what the relevance is with regards to his medal count.

Is he a better player than McPhillips? Who knows really. Not really sure why he'd expect Ulster to be "sold" to him, he's a young, inexperienced 10 with everything still to prove. Does he think he's Johnny Sexton or something?

• Advertisement

And?
    And I'm sure he's got a taste for it. If he's ambitious that is. Not sure that squares with moving to Ulster right now. Do you somehow think it's an easy sell? For any player with ambitions?

Advertisement