Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster v Ospreys (Ravenhill) 3:05pm BBC2NI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A one year Carbery deal doesn't suit Ulster or Leinster. Ideally, Ulster would have gotten someone more experienced in a 1-2 year deal or Carbery on a 2-3 year deal.

Having said that, the idea that Ulster can go into next season with one senior outhalf (has McPhillips re-signed yet?) with a handful of starts and two lads with a grand total of zero professional games between them is ludicrous. If McPhillips gets injured, you're up **** creek with two broken arms, a leak and no paddle. Ulster needs someone. If nobody is available and the only solution is Carbery going north and competing with McPhillips then I wouldn't be averse to the idea.

Anyway, delighted for Ulster to the win today. Particularly with the number of missing players. It was a nervous couple of weeks there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »
    And?

He got a gong last week without spending a second on the field for example. I'm not really sure what the relevance is with regards to his medal count.

Is he a better player than McPhillips? Who knows really. Not really sure why he'd expect Ulster to be "sold" to him, he's a young, inexperienced 10 with everything still to prove. Does he think he's Johnny Sexton or something?

If Ulster is a hard sell for fans it's even harder for players then surely?. RWC next year too. Maybe we don't know stuff behind the scenes and this is IRFU trying to provide a player, even for one season to solve a short term part of a much bigger longer term problem which also broadens the national team options.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Peregrine wrote: »
    A one year Carbery deal doesn't suit Ulster or Leinster. Ideally, Ulster would have gotten someone more experienced in a 1-2 year deal or Carbery on a 2-3 year deal.

Having said that, the idea that Ulster can go into next season with one senior outhalf (has McPhillips re-signed yet?) with a handful of starts and two lads with a grand total of zero professional games between them is ludicrous. If McPhillips gets injured, you're up **** creek with two broken arms, a leak and no paddle. Ulster needs someone. If nobody is available and the only solution is Carbery going north and competing with McPhillips then I wouldn't be averse to the idea.

Anyway, delighted for Ulster to the win today. Particularly with the number of missing players. It was a nervous couple of weeks there now.
    Is it a solution?

Carbery has probably played 10 less than McPhillips.

I'd rather sign Ross Byrne than Joey Carbery, but then I think Ross Byrne would be a more difficult signing to make seeing as he actually plays 10 regularly for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's probably worth pointing out that Ulster finished the season unbeaten in their last 5 games...

Edinburgh (a)
    Ospreys (h)
    Glasgow (h)
    Munster (a)
    Ospreys (h)

Not bad considering everything that has been going on.

Is it a solution?

I'd rather sign Ross Byrne than Joey Carbery, but then I think Ross Byrne would be a more difficult signing to make seeing as he actually plays 10 regularly for Leinster.

Yes, it's a solution.

Maybe he has (if he has, it's not by more than a few mins). But Carbery is still another out-half. One who isn't just fresh out of school. It's a solution to the problem of only having one player who has played professional rugby at outside half. I don't see how you could dispute that. Curtis and Lowry may turn out to be excellent but it's madness to not have another senior outhalf and hope for the best.

It's not the best solution. It's probably one of very few solutions available though. The timing of the situation means there are very few good players available abroad and very few seem to be interested anyway. If the only solutions available are moving Carbery or signing another unproven outhalf from abroad then signing Carbery is probably better for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is it a solution?

I think you’re right.

I think Carbery to Munster and Keatley to Ulster is the best use of resources for Irish rugby.

Yes, it's a solution.

Maybe he has (if he has, it's not by more than a few mins). But Carbery is still another out-half. One who isn't just fresh out of school. It's a solution to the problem of only having one player who has played professional rugby at outside half. I don't see how you could dispute that. Curtis and Lowry may turn out to be excellent but it's madness to not have another senior outhalf and hope for the best.

It's not the best solution. It's probably one of very few solutions available though. The timing of the situation means there are very few good players available abroad and very few seem to be interested anyway. If the only solutions available are moving Carbery or signing another unproven outhalf from abroad then signing Carbery is probably better for Ireland.
    It's not only not the best solution, it's actually a bad solution for Ulster.

Great for Leinster and Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's not great for Leinster. If it were, you wouldn't hear a peep from the coaches about it. And we've heard Fogarty and Lancaster saying they hope both of them stay.

Could you propose a better solution so? One that doesn't involve kidnapping a more experienced outhalf and forcing them to play for Ulster. Or do you think it's fine to go into next season with just one player who has pro experience at 10 (fewer than ten starts)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

bilston wrote: »
    It's probably worth pointing out that Ulster finished the season unbeaten in their last 5 games...

Edinburgh (a)
    Ospreys (h)
    Glasgow (h)
    Munster (a)
    Ospreys (h)

Not bad considering everything that has been going on.

You’d wonder if that was Gibbes influence coming through, or just the players getting their heads out of their ass a bit. At least it’s something positive to build on. Hopefully something can be sorted out about McFarland and he gets to move this summer.

• Advertisement

Could you propose a better solution so? One that doesn't involve kidnapping a more experienced outhalf and forcing them to play for Ulster. Or do you think it's fine to go into next season with just one player who has pro experience at 10 (fewer than ten starts)?
    Personally I'd rather stick with what we have than this proposed Carbery for one season bollocks. Just cannot get behind that at all, it's such a half-arsed attempt a solution that does nothing but kick the can down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Personally I'd rather stick with what we have than this proposed Carbery for one season bollocks. Just cannot get behind that at all, it's such a half-arsed attempt a solution that does nothing but kick the can down the road.

Well you've been signing rubbish at 10 for years. About time Ulster were told what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Seriously? From a Munster fan?

Well you've been signing rubbish at 10 for years. About time Ulster were told what to do.
    Lol.

Why do you think we've signed rubbish at 10?

And are people just wiping Paddy Jackson from their memory or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Surely they'd be the best judges. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

. Not really sure why he'd expect Ulster to be "sold" to him, he's a young, inexperienced 10 with everything still to prove. Does he think he's Johnny Sexton or something?

Maybe because he benefits from an excellent, stable coaching set-up, or a strong, positive organisational culture, maybe because he has a settled life in Dublin... there are lots of reasons why it might be difficult to leave Leinster.

And any club that wants to attract a player would try sell that player their vision and the opportunities they foresee for that player.

At the same time, he hasn't said anything about this recently, so why the vitriol?

Brett Herron? Sam Windsor?

Fair point. And I forgot, JJ Hanrahan was nominated for Player of the Year at the U20 RWC. Big future ahead of him.

• Advertisement

Do you not think that starting a season with just one senior outhalf is madness? That's if McPhillips signs!

A potential outcome is Curtis and Lowry coming through. With Carbery gone for international windows and able to FB (where Ulster are becoming light), there will be plenty of bench spots up for grabs at minimum for academy outhalfs even if both McPhillips and Carbery are fit for the whole season.

I wouldn't call that kicking the can down the road.

You could not have Carbery, hope that McPhillips doesn't get injured, have an academy lad on the bench every week and start them every now and again but that's beyond risky. Ulster's season could be over before it starts and we'll back here in a playoff thread this time next year. I don't want that.

Brett Herron? Sam Windsor?

As back-ups to Olding, who was back-up to Paddy Jackson, both of whom who we produced.

You guys brought in Keatley and Bleyendaal, and then brought Hanrahan back.

As back-ups to Olding, who was back-up to Paddy Jackson, both of whom who we produced.

You guys brought in Keatley and Bleyendaal, and then brought Hanrahan back.

Aye. Fair.

In any case Ulster need a competent option at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Only saw a bit of the second half but Chris Henry had more involvements than I had seen from him in a good while. Did he have a good game?
    I know his gas has completely gone but he Looked fired up.

Agreed. I genuinely would have liked someone in their twilight years who could pass on a bit of knowledge, but who wouldn't be playing many Pro14 games. But not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

There’s no doubt someone is needed, don’t think anyone’s disputing that!
    If it’s Carbery then McPhillips has shown enough that it deserves to be a competition at 10 with no guarantees for Carbery.
    When the summer international squads are announced we might see some SH faces come available if they don’t make their sides and are viewed as unlikely to make the World Cup (Lealiifano if reports are correct for instance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

A competent, Irish qualified option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great result! Delighted Ulster have got some good news after a horrible couple of months.

• Advertisement

Advertisement