Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Chances are if you're out on the bike and in need of a pump then it's not the only thing you're going to need.

Be cheaper just to buy a few track pumps and puncture kits etc and hand them out to local businesses to me made available upon request.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Chances are if you're out on the bike and in need of a pump then it's not the only thing you're going to need.

Be cheaper just to buy a few track pumps and puncture kits etc and hand them out to local businesses to me made available upon request.

Maybe give them to bike shops?

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Maybe give them to bike shops?

I'll get my coat.

If only LAs were even half of that mindset:
    https://metro.co.uk/2017/07/31/council-that-fined-girl-5-for-lemonade-stand-is-now-targeting-shop-for-free-bike-pump-6818702/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A few local bike shops have put them up in Wicklow with nothing more than an ad board (300euro), a track pump (50euro) and a chain (50euro).

Get a local coffee shop to sponsor it on their doorstep and the project if pretty much free.

Mail local clubs to advertise and offer cheap coffee and cake for a start off before 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Maybe I don't know much about public spending, but how tf do you need 3.5k for a pump to be installed and secured? This is on the south coco site.

looked at getting this locally but haven't done much about it!

Priced this up about 1200 quid for the workstation and pump so can see with fitting etc was 3.5k

https://turvec.com/product/public-bike-pump/cycle-repair-stand-pump/

https://youtu.be/d-3AfTJ2H_M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In Heatons/sports world in charlestown. They sell muddy fox branded cycling gear here. Not exactly top notch quality, but I just got two short sleeved tops for 26 quid. Should do me fine for the commute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

obviously whoever designs their cycling gear is not that au fait with some design aspects of cycling. laces on cycling shoes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

obviously whoever designs their cycling gear is not that au fait with some design aspects of cycling. laces on cycling shoes?

Look do cycling shoes with laces. Part of their touring/city range.

Muddy fox tops are fine, their bibs are pointless. Their upgraded version, mfx, are not much better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Common enough on some MTB shoes and cycling shoes with recessed cleats which look like ordinary casual shoes/runners.

(One pair of my Shimano commuting shoes has laces).

Somebody should have a word with Giro:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/giro-techlace-prolight-road-shoe-2018/rp-prod164092

• Advertisement

Speaking of cycling shoes, I saw this on a FAQ section of a cycling shoe retailer recently:
    Q. How long should cycling shoes last?
    A. Cycling shoes should last hundreds of miles.

WTF?

So I should manage to get a weekend out of a pair!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Eamonnator wrote: »
    About their prices? I know cycling can be expensive, but €380 for shoes... :eek:

About their prices? I know cycling can be expensive, but €380 for shoes... :eek:
    How about $1,000!

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20033315/first-look-mavics-1-000-cycling-shoe/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I have a pair ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I need new shoes myself but the choice of colours! I can't choose.

A friend got her first bike since childhood last week, she went for a Scott Speedster 50, well she drove to Dublin to meet me todayband join for a section of my spin. 56cm bike, she's about 5'5'' 175mm cranks, saddle slammed down to the lowest and handlebars tilted way too far down. Some feck in the bike shop just gave her what was on the shelf, didn't even bother with a basic fitting and about 40psi in each tyre. The bike is way too big for her, she rode off a few times this week so doubtful he'll take it back. And then she tells me he charged 950 (bike to work) for the bike, a pump, helmet and bid on. No lights, no lock or anything else. Completely ripped off imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Ryath

Completely ripped off bike is only €710 and I'd imagine the pump and helmet are tat that probably aren't even worth €50 and then giving her a bike that's at least two sizes two big.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I need new shoes myself but the choice of colours! I can't choose.

A friend got her first bike since childhood last week, she went for a Scott Speedster 50, well she drove to Dublin to meet me todayband join for a section of my spin. 56cm bike, she's about 5'5'' 175mm cranks, saddle slammed down to the lowest and handlebars tilted way too far down. Some feck in the bike shop just gave her what was on the shelf, didn't even bother with a basic fitting and about 40psi in each tyre. The bike is way too big for her, she rode off a few times this week so doubtful he'll take it back. And then she tells me he charged 950 (bike to work) for the bike, a pump, helmet and bid on. No lights, no lock or anything else. Completely ripped off imo

That's shockingly bad. I would 100% go back into the shop, if she can bring an experienced cyclist with her to help her case all the better. Go straight to the manager. And get some money back.

I was disgusted when I saw it. It's a small local shop in a regional town so I doubt she'll get any satisfaction. It's quite obvious the ****e was just clearing what he had in stock.

But yes, I'll be suggesting a return

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

RobFowl wrote: »
    I have a pair ;)
    No dial for you to break at least :p

was given out to by a garda tonight for breaking a red light while driving.
    in my defence; a) i did not break a red light and b) it was the garda's fault anyway.

• Advertisement

was given out to by a garda tonight for breaking a red light while driving.
    in my defence; a) i did not break a red light and b) it was the garda's fault anyway.

That's what you get for driving on a day like today... :pac:

Was riding with my wee one on the back this morning heading to town and was passed by a couple has Rás riders out for a spin ahead of the race tomorrow and was stopped with them at the lights and wished them luck. Herself was still talking about the high 5's she received going to bed, not sure of the team but one of the UK ones. Made her day :)

That's what you get for driving on a day like today... :pac:
    was at a family get together in castleknock - not a good day to drive to castleknock with all the ed sheeran fuss, so the place is lousy with road closures. arrived at the top of auburn avenue, and by the time i got the attention of one of the gardai at the top to ask if the road was open (she was too busy chatting with another garda to pay me immediate attention), the lights on the junction had turned red. so i got a smarmy comment about having driver through a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44186998

Sometimes it's good to take a moment to remind ourselves how lucky we are in Ireland, with our lack of natural hazards.
    US wildlife officers in Washington state have shot dead a cougar that killed a cyclist and mauled another.

The two cyclists were in North Bend, about 30 miles (50km) from Seattle, when the attack occurred. The injured man used his mobile phone to seek help.

The rider who died was dragged away by the cougar to its den, said King County sheriff spokesman Sergeant Ryan Abbot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Raced this am (didn't actually win but won the pic of the day comp ;) )

33097332_10216036665578869_3830656197153783808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeHSb6M5NFoxC5dLRVYOW7BImUbV-URxZt3vJhmC8wWc2OiIDsB3IBzji5qJreUbZSRnFwMDQhsVYB1ua9WEpFdcK8kVDy3tmnBclH91gFlRHQ&oh=616e9b861d1dc82a690d94d6e6440036&oe=5B80D7E1

Raced this am (didn't actually win but won the pic of the day comp ;) ....
    And another Boardsie regular here on the left of the pic! :)

^^^^
    what race was this and what was the route?

Our group was passed by an IVCA race this morning around Kentstown.
    Was this your race

please don't let me see photos of you. i have cartoon cariacatures of you all in my head which would be destroyed by reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Raced this am (didn't actually win but won the pic of the day comp ;) )

Jaysus. They’re some socks.

Advertisement