Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Watching Tour Of Aragon highlights on demand on ES player and how Declan Quigley managed to commentate and not mention the rider with the arse out of his bibs after an earlier crash and almost full crack on show is beyond me :D

Around 24km to go for those looking for a near full moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

P_1 wrote: »
    Bilbao tomorrow!

Have a nice glass of vino!

My partner and wee one are going to fashion a sign to hold up for when the Rás passes the house next week, what do you think the lads would like to see??? My suggestion of "only 8 days to go, you're nearly there" was shot down :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That fb page is actually hilarious. Well my 12year old boy sense of humour finds it hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was out with friends over the weekend - one is a teacher in a secondary girl's school in dublin. was talking about the students cycling to school, and i think she said she was aware of one girl in her school who cycled.
    apart from the usual reasons i've heard about school students cycling - skirts, weight of bags etc., my friend was saying there's also the phenomenon of boys taking photos of them and putting them on a social media page called 'mots on bikes' (or something similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

the phenomenon of boys taking photos of them and putting them on a social media page called 'mots on bikes' (or something similar).

Doesn't one of those Dutch cycling websites and/or Twitter accounts do the very same, albeit of adults?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, Mikael Colville-Andersen seemed to really start that phenomenon. I think it was "Cycle Chic", as opposed to "Copenhagenize", which is more his cycling advocacy activities. He didn't just photograph women, and it's ostensibly to show people riding stylishly in normal clothing. From what I recall, he really did photograph mostly attractive young women.

Bike Snob was pretty funny about it:
    Also, I can't help feeling as though Colville-Andersen's talk of "demystification" is at odds with the content of his site and Flickr account, which consists largely of surreptitious photographs of attractive women on bicycles, many of whom are either shot from behind or in various stages of thigh exposure. If anything, cycling in Copenhagen seems to be about some elusive state of feminine beauty and insouciant style which the rest of us can only aspire to either possess or fondle, or at least photograph from behind a lamppost or a shrub. Really, Copenhagen Cycle Chic exudes fetishism, though perhaps that's just a cultural difference. In Copenhagen secretly taking pictures of women in short skirts is "demystification," but here it's just stalking.
    https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.ie/2009/12/weird-world-of-bike-advocacy-mourning.html

The Goatstown Rd is down to one lane near Our Lady’s Grove School as Gardaí deal with an overturned vehicle; however, delays are easing now both ways.
    https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

The aftermath of this looked very alarming. Bizarre thing to have happened on a relatively quiet, relatively low-speed road too (I mean, relatively quiet outside rush hour, traffic not moving quickly during rush hour).

EDIT: Occupants seem to be ok.
    https://twitter.com/NChildersMEP/status/995939067136217088/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The aftermath of this looked very alarming. Bizarre thing to have happened on a relatively quiet, relatively low-speed road too.

I know we both pass this area quite a bit, I would never have described this area as quiet for road traffic at rush hour. Also the low speed thing is a myth. Out of rush hour, cars routinely tip north of 70kmph and occasionally in rush hour you see the suicide run by certain UCD students, overtaking long stretches trying to make it to the right turn filter lanes before they meet opposing traffic.

I think this would be the third overturned car I have heard of / seen in the past 5 years, interestingly, all nearly outside of our ladies grove

CramCycle wrote: »
    I know we both pass this area quite a bit, I would never have described this area as quiet for road traffic at rush hour

Yeah, I edited that bit before, or just as you posted!

Last I'll say about it:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/traffic-overturned-4011272-May2018/?utm_source=twitter_short
    Based on a comment there, the car overturned during the hours of sluggish traffic flow, after or maybe about 0730. I passed it about 0835.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Can anyone tell me what is the sally gap and Roundwood-Bray road like on a weekday evening traffic wise.
    Normally do that route weekend mornings. Would it be busier than Sundays?

Heavy traffic coming upto Manor Kilbride (the embankment) but not terrible, roads are dead after that all the way upto the gap. I presume down to Roundwood is no busier, Bray / Roundwood roads will be busier but nothing to hectic and no worse than a typical sunny Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

^^ Cornering looks interesting on those!

"Makes every straight feel like a corner and every corner feel like a cheese grater made from tarmac".

Anyone have a link to the Dunlavin circuit in Wicklow. I think they done the national champs there a few years ago but I can't find a route anywhere.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I see that apart from increasing prices since the Wiggle take over, Chain Reaction has now increased the threshold for free delivery up to €19. :mad:

Any recommendations for a bike bag (tubes tools etc?) Been using a bottle on the down tube over the winter and up to now for that stuff but with a couple of sportives in coming months I'll be needing water not tools in the second bottle :D

Also I've now got a Fly 6 occupying the seat post so worried about fit there.

Oh while I'm at it is there some magic device that allows you to mount both a bottle cage and mini pump on the down tube?

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a bike bag (tubes tools etc?) Been using a bottle on the down tube over the winter and up to now for that stuff but with a couple of sportives in coming months I'll be needing water not tools in the second bottle :D

Also I've now got a Fly 6 occupying the seat post so worried about fit there.

I was able to fit the fly6 just below the seat post clamp. This allows a saddlebag. However if I need to put on mudguards I’m screwed as There are no mounting holes and I’ve to use one that fits on the seatpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Oh while I'm at it is there some magic device that allows you to mount both a bottle cage and mini pump on the down tube?

This will attach to the downtube via the bottle cage mounts ( I know nothing of the pump, I am only using this one to show the type of bracket that attaches to the bike)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-pioneer-mini-pump-black-one-size/

How about a pump that doubles as a CO2 inflater and also holds 2 x CO2 cartridges on the down tube? I have one of these: https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/bontrager-air-rush-road-mini-pump-co2-inflator-00103188

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How about a pump that doubles as a CO2 inflater and also holds 2 x CO2 cartridges on the down tube? I have one of these: https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/bontrager-air-rush-road-mini-pump-co2-inflator-00103188

I have this. Works well except for that one time I failed to properly screw in one of the CO2 cartridges and it went flying down the road.

The pump is good on its own without the cartridges.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I have this. Works well except for that one time I failed to properly screw in one of the CO2 cartridges and it went flying down the road.

The pump is good on it's own without the cartridges.

Thankfully I haven’t needed to use mine yet.

Weepsie wrote: »

The pump is good on its own without the cartridges.

I fired off a Co2 cannister in my back garden last weekend. Not as impressive as I was hoping for. It got stuck between my shed and the wall. Sometimes it's hard for people to believe I'm 34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

CCC rider feigns injury in Tour of Norway yesterday to get a short rest after crash inside final 3km
    https://twitter.com/Andreas_Hans1/status/996851637472976902

I 10k into my cycle and my quads are on fire. Currently having a coffee.. I'll do the other 40k in a minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Maybe I don't know much about public spending, but how tf do you need 3.5k for a pump to be installed and secured? This is on the south coco site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Maybe I don't know much about public spending, but how tf do you need 3.5k for a pump to be installed and secured? This is on the south coco site.

7165747.jpg

How?!!! I suppose they'd have to make a whole solid piece of street furniture, maybe close the road to build and install it - they have to be missing a 0?!

Advertisement