Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Europe International Championships

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

It must be also noted that the result of Belgium against Spain stands.

They felt that the appearance of bias was not enough to overturn the result. Belgium cited that the Six Nations uses referees from countries also participating in the competition and although World Rugby say that Rugby Europe should have changed the referee after Spain requested them to, that is not enough to change the result as they feel much more is needed to set aside the decisions of the referee after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

VillaMad wrote: »
    It must be also noted that the result of Belgium against Spain stands.

They felt that the appearance of bias was not enough to overturn the result. Belgium cited that the Six Nations uses referees from countries also participating in the competition and although World Rugby say that Rugby Europe should have changed the referee after Spain requested them to, that is not enough to change the result as they feel much more is needed to set aside the decisions of the referee after the event.

I thought at the time there was reports of multiple dubious decisions, but maybe they were exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Eod100 wrote: »
    I thought at the time there was reports of multiple dubious decisions, but maybe they were exaggerated.

The match performance of the referee was stated as poor on his report, so there probably was a number of dubious decisions, but unless it's proven to be match fixing, the result stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

VillaMad wrote: »
    The match performance of the referee was stated as poor on his report, so there probably was a number of dubious decisions, but unless it's proven to be match fixing, the result stands.

That makes sense, although I didn't think there was a question of match fixing, more decisions made would have impacted result of the match. But guess usually even if that happens, there's no real comeback as such, unless as you say it was proven that these decisions were deliberate say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think the eligibility thing has allowed WR a bit of an escape route from a difficult situation here. Still feel a bit sorry for Spain as 1) they were clearly screwed over by the ref in the Belgium game and 2) the Under 20 rule involving France v Wales games only must be the stupidest in Rugby Union, and that seems to be the only eligibility rule they have fallen foul of, whereas Belgium's selection offences were much more clear cut. However, technically the decision to punish all three teams is correct.

I wonder if either Romania or Spain had qualified with no controversy would anyone at WR have picked up on the eligibility issues before the RWC? I suspect they'd never have found out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

All decisions are subject to appeal...and wouldn't be surprised if CAS are eventually involved

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When is the Germany - Portugal play off due to take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

When is the Germany - Portugal play off due to take place?

From the World Rugby website: -

Rescheduling is necessary to maximise time following the conclusion of independent disputes committee review of matters relating to the 2017-18 Rugby Europe Championship, a competition run by Rugby Europe that doubles as Rugby World Cup 2019 qualification.

Subject to any appeal of the disputes committee's decision, the winner of the European play-off between Germany and Portugal, provisionally scheduled for 9 June will play Samoa home and away in the play-off to determine the final Pool A place. The first leg will be played in Apia on 30 June with the return leg in Europe on 14 July.

The winner on aggregate will qualify for Japan 2019 as the play-off winner, joining Ireland, Scotland, Japan and Russia in Pool A. The loser will progress to the Repechage competition in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

All decisions are subject to appeal...and wouldn't be surprised if CAS are eventually involved

Romania already saying they are appealing

https://twitter.com/RugbyRomania/status/996436286474014723

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The Romanians are saying they followed all world rugby guidelines/protocol/whatever you want to call it when determining player eligibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

In other news Sepp Blatter is to take over the running of European rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

swiwi_ wrote: »
    In other news Sepp Blatter is to take over the running of European rugby.

Great news that will be a massive cash injection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

As 6 Nations champions - I find it sad how badly run rugby is below the 6 leading Eurpean nations - the rugby authorities should be doing ther best to grow the game and run it properly so we can have more than the 5 usual suspects vying for Eurpean glory - i always find it strange how rugby just appeals to such a small number of nations - rugby would suit Poland, Germany, Sweden and other countries if the authorities organised it properly - but this WC fiasco just highlights how amateur rugby is organised below the 6 nations, at a time when Ireland is at the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

thebaz wrote: »
    As 6 Nations champions - I find it sad how badly run rugby is below the 6 leading Eurpean nations - the rugby authorities should be doing ther best to grow the game and run it properly so we can have more than the 5 usual suspects vying for Eurpean glory - i always find it strange how rugby just appeals to such a small number of nations - rugby would suit Poland, Germany, Sweden and other countries if the authorities organised it properly - but this WC fiasco just highlights how amateur rugby is organised below the 6 nations, at a time when Ireland is at the summit.
    Rugby is virtually completely amateur in these countries. It will be a very long time before we have much more than the usual suspects in Europe. Especially with the 6 Nations being a closed shop
    Rugby is simply dominated by expats in these countries and its hard to get it played enough in schools and then clubs
    I dont see what Ireland at summit has to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Was reading A Game for Hooligans by Huw Richards the other day, Romania first applied for (then 5 nations) membership back in 1966!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fecks Samoa too even though they did nothing wrong. They'll lose some of their best players with the matches being moved out of the scheduled window and for when some players likely had plans

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No wonder Georgia are trying to get out of this comp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

titan18 wrote: »
    Fecks Samoa too even though they did nothing wrong. They'll lose some of their best players with the matches being moved out of the scheduled window and for when some players likely had plans

If Samoa cant beat Portugal or this incarnation of Germany they have bigger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If Samoa cant beat Portugal or this incarnation of Germany they have bigger issues.

That is true but that's assuming that any appeal doesn't work, and there aren't further delays. I'd be pretty surprised if this was all that happened on this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Bazzo wrote: »
    The Romanians are saying they followed all world rugby guidelines/protocol/whatever you want to call it when determining player eligibility

So in the full report it's revealed that they were using Wikipedia and ESPN to determine player eligibility. However, world rugby apparently doesn't keep any sort of database so I've no idea if that's actually considered adequate (crazy if it is).

• Advertisement

Wiki says he played 7s so they'd have needed to know the rule anyway. Wiki is not going to say "played 7s but if you are another countrys admin staff looking to check his availability, he's not"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wiki says he played 7s so they'd have needed to know the rule anyway. Wiki is not going to say "played 7s but if you are another countrys admin staff looking to check his availability, he's not"

Did Wiki say that back when they checked though?

Did Wiki say that back when they checked though?

Not sure , but is the EDIT in for not available for wiki?

Did the Romanians know the rule in the first place regardless?

Advertisement