Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    The Huy Fong one has a distinctive green cap but I've noticed the rooster logo copied a lot.
    I read the green cap is trademarked, other caps look very like it but not green. They also try and copy the jaggedy looking circle around some words.
    Sriracha as dip
    Sriracha mixed with mayo makes a good weaker sauce. Someone posted before saying their father mistook it for ketchup and slathered a burger in it. Toilet paper in the freezer that night...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    I read the green cap is trademarked, other caps look very like it but not green. They also try and copy the jaggedy looking circle around some words.

The rooster , the logo and green-cap are tradeamrked. But I think that only applies in the states. He couldn't (or didn't) trademark the name.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

rubadub wrote: »
    Sriracha mixed with mayo makes a good weaker sauce. Someone posted before saying their father mistook it for ketchup and slathered a burger in it. Toilet paper in the freezer that night...

Mustn't have been that bad, he puts it on cheese sambos now, just not as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Cholula would always be my choice. It is especially good on eggs.

k2-_7dc00b82-02b0-48ac-a914-f6ad27f43234.v1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Zombie thread resurrection!
    Why not. Hot sauce deserves attention.

And I picked up some Nok sauce today:

https://www.facebook.com/Nok-Sauce-1988161798126458/

Irish made, and uses Ballyhoura apple cider vinegar.
    This is super tasty! Quite sweet and gingery, not at all like your super sharp American hot sauce.
    The brand I got was the 'fire hot', and it does have a nice burn, but not blow your head off or anything.

They sell in farmers' markets, I picked up mine in Mr Bells in Cork.

Recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Does anyone make their own? I've made it a few times and home made definitely beats store bought. Tesco had Komodo dragon chillis a while back, I made a batch with them, some bang off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

https://www.chilliworld.com/mr-naga-hot-pepper-pickle

This is just the business . Extra hot but tastes just amazing

Does anyone make their own? I've made it a few times and home made definitely beats store bought. Tesco had Komodo dragon chillis a while back, I made a batch with them, some bang off it.

I tried making one from Thai chillies, but it was not nice at all, too much vinegar I think.

Must look out for the komodos, I make chili powder by blending Tesco's dried bird's eye chilies, very strong burn!

ArtyC wrote: »
    https://www.chilliworld.com/mr-naga-hot-pepper-pickle

This is just the business . Extra hot but tastes just amazing

Yup, I had that or something similar, from a Chinese shop, very tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yeah I make my own, I usually do a big batch which lasts me a good while, Habanero and Mango sauce, with some secret spices....
    I give some away to friends that like heat and it seems to be popular enough with them.
    Last batch I used my own apples as well as Mango, the fruit gives a lovely sweetness to counterbalance the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I tried making one from Thai chillies, but it was not nice at all, too much vinegar I think.

Must look out for the komodos, I make chili powder by blending Tesco's dried bird's eye chilies, very strong burn!

The komodos are hardly ever in stock, if you see them buy as much as you can. What vinegar are you using? I use distilled, doesn't overpower the other ingredients.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yeah I make my own, I usually do a big batch which lasts me a good while, Habanero and Mango sauce, with some secret spices....
    I give some away to friends that like heat and it seems to be popular enough with them.
    Last batch I used my own apples as well as Mango, the fruit gives a lovely sweetness to counterbalance the heat.

I've used fresh squeezed apple juice too, also pineapple. It does help balance it out, before the komodos kick in and melt your lips, teeth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Frank's Red Hot Sauce is still my favourite.

I've never tried making my own hot sauce, I must give it a go.

CJhaughey wrote: »

I've started to make my own the last couple of months as I found that it was hard to get the balance right in a lot of sauces.
    The tasty ones weren't spicy enough,
    and the spicy ones were too vinegary etc.
    Picado is a mexican shop up on South Richmond Street in Dublin 2 (opposite the Bernard Shaw pub). They do great tasting dried mexican chillies which are perfect for making your own sauces. There aren't any super hot ones, so you can add your own morugas or reapers as you see fit, but the ones they sell are great for adding flavour and depth to a sauce.

They also do cookery classes for real mexican food, it's great way to get an insight into the vast array of what they actually eat instead of the usual burritos-folded-in-a-different-way type stuff that i thought was mexican cuisine.

I'd really recommend for anyone to drop in and have a chat with Lily if you're passing by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Here is what I have at the moment...

W2p6nBw.jpg?1

Can't say I have an overall favourite as it depends on what I'm doing with it.
    Wings - definitely Franks.
    Steak - Cholulua or Louisiana
    Chicken - Sriracha

Proving that there is such a thing as too hot - Sudden Death

No messing around there MF!

I think one of my favourite HOT chilli sauces is East End Very Hot Chilli Sauce:

chilli.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I picked up come Cholula at English Market this morning which is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

i was a big franks fan until i sampled these..

http://www.rebelchilli.com/

the whiskey hot sauce is superb ..

the red chilli is my go to ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

opti76 wrote: »
    i was a big franks fan until i sampled these..

http://www.rebelchilli.com/

the whiskey hot sauce is superb ..

the red chilli is my go to ..

Ah yes, the Rebel Chilli. Had two bottles that I got at Blooms a couple of years back and they didn't last long. The lads were saying that they were going to stock it in SuperValu, and I've seen it in a bunch of places. Didn't they also do a dry rub as well which was incredibly good.

Just never lasts long :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lidl's 'Feel the Burn' (I think it's called) hot sauce is my go-to hot sauce for adding heat to a dish. It isn't highly flavoured so doesn't take away from the flavours already in the dish.

Frank's is a must for wings.

My all-time favourite is Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas. I ran out quite a while ago & really need to get off my ass & get more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Not strictly speaking a sauce, more a paste, and as Yoda might say "the sauce is strong in this one", Mr Naga, curry paste...a first cousin of the scotch bonnet Chilli, this will blow the bloody doors off...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lidl's 'Feel the Burn' (I think it's called) hot sauce is my go-to hot sauce for adding heat to a dish. It isn't highly flavoured so doesn't take away from the flavours already in the dish.

Bring the Pain?

The first time I used it I absolutely LACED my eggs with it, going "It's from Lidl, how hot can it be?"

Answer: extremely.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I like Cholula, Tapatio and Texas Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

One of my current sauces
    https://www.cottagedelight.co.uk/seriously-hot-caribbean-sauce.html
    Supervalue stock it. 64% scotch bonnet & habanero chillies.
    It says it can be used as a dip, but I find it can overpower everything else if you use too much.
    I must restock with some of the suggestions here. A trip to the English market is in order during lunch I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Bring the Pain?

The first time I used it I absolutely LACED my eggs with it, going "It's from Lidl, how hot can it be?"

Answer: extremely.
    That's the one. You can't go wrong for 99c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just got a bottle of this Habanero delivered this morning. Tasty but very hot.

https://yellowbirdsauce.com/

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/why-i-love-yellowbird-hot-sauce-condiment-article

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Not sure if these can be found back home ( I live in London) but if you can get your hands on these sauces then please do, they are divine!

The Scotch Bonnet sauce is a creeper, nice sweet flavour and then the heat kicks in!! The Smokey Ketchup is tasty too but not really a hot sauce so to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

frag420 wrote: »
    Not sure if these can be found back home ( I live in London) but if you can get your hands on these sauces then please do, they are divine!

The Scotch Bonnet sauce is a creeper, nice sweet flavour and then the heat kicks in!! The Smokey Ketchup is tasty too but not really a hot sauce so to speak!

Sorry, are you talking about the Yellowbird Sauces in the post above you or are you missing a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Sorry, are you talking about the Yellowbird Sauces in the post above you or are you missing a link?

My bad, forgot to include the link!

Here you go!

https://dalstonchillies.com/our-sauces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

If you want real hot, this is what you need
    https://www.hot-headz.com/Hell-Unleashed-The-Hottest-Sauce-In-The-World

Nope, I haven't tried it yet.

Advertisement