Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EirSport secure the broadcast rights to the Guinness PRO14

• 03-05-2018 11:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭

EirSport are delighted to secure the broadcast rights to the Guinness PRO14 for the next three years from the 2018/19 season.

The partnership means that for the first time in the Republic of Ireland, rugby supporters can watch all 152 games a season.

Fans can look forward to seeing over 30 hours of Guinness PRO14 related programming every week including up to six live games with pre and post-match analysis. A weekly highlights show to review and preview each round of games will also form part of the eir sport schedule.

This consolidates eir sport’s position as the home of the rugby in Ireland. The eir sport pack will be the only place to watch all of the European Champions Cup from next season, the U-20 World Championships, and will be the home of the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan. Ireland internationals, such as last summer’s tour of Japan and the historic win against the All Blacks in Chicago, could also only be watched on eir sport.

eir sport has entered into a sub-licencing agreement with TG4, allowing the Irish language broadcaster access to a select number of games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

How can we only get 6 lives games, but still manage to see all 152 games? There are 7 per season?

Is the extra game gonna be the FTA one, or the TG4 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

errlloyd wrote: »
    How can we only get 6 lives games, but still manage to see all 152 games? There are 7 per season?

I assuming that this line means that.

eir sport has entered into a sub-licencing agreement with TG4, allowing the Irish language broadcaster access to a select number of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I think it will be the FTAone to be shown on Freesports which is described on Pro 14website asa 'showcase' fixture.
    BTW from this summer Freesports will be HD on satellite.

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is a good deal for Irish viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I think it will be the FTA one to be shown on Freesports which is described on Pro 14 website as a 'showcase' fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Reunite the old Setanta dream team!

image.jpg

matt-williams-rugby-coach-ab842411-111d-4a11-b5b6-bede4f188fb-resize-750.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

awec wrote: »

It's a pain if you're on Virgin, I think it is actually impossible to get eirsport at a reasonable price.

But if you're on Eir, this is a real win. To be fair, it'll probably get both me and the old man to change broadband.

I think it will be the FTAone to be shown on Freesports which is described on Pro 14website asa 'showcase' fixture.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Freesports is on the Sky EPG in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Only if you're on eir, which is pure sh1te as a TV platform

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    Only if you're on eir, which is pure sh1te as a TV platform
    You can get it on Sky too. 27.50 a month though which is pricier than I thought it was.

Forgot about the Virgin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'll just stick with my Android box.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Kevski

Disappointing that there’s no streaming option for non-eir customers as I would have happily paid the equivalent of the £10 per month it’s being offered for by Premier Sports in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Can you just get the 2 Eir Sport channels or do you have to get the stupid Eir Sport package with BT Sport and ESPN

Can't get Eir broadband where I am in connemara so bit of a balls..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think I'll have to take a trip over to the UK each time they're streaming no Premier Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If you're a rugby fan eir makes perfect sense, virgin not offering it looks stupid now, no rugby from an Irish pov on sky sports, and eir have champions league soccer with the rugby World Cup..

27 on sky is cheaper than sky sports too...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The weekly highlights show is a good thing. The 4 minute YouTube videos the Pro 14 currently offer is in no way good enough. Something like the highlights show BT does for the AP would be welcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Reunite the old Setanta dream team!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I can't get eir broadband so my only option is Eir on Sky @ €27.50 a month? But if I lived in the UK I could watch all the games on Premier Sport for £10 a month? Well, that's kinda sh1t!

Zzippy wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I can't get eir broadband so my only option is Eir on Sky @ €27.50 a month? But if I lived in the UK I could watch all the games on Premier Sport for £10 a month? Well, that's kinda sh1t!

Premier sports don't have a lot else though really..

Eir excuse that they have champions league, champions cup, UFC, premier league, etc..

Premier sports, really rugby and gaa is all they have.. with the obscure American ones.

Confirmed that it's 1 game a week on TG4 on the Q&A page.

eir have sub-licensed 21 games over the course of the regular 2018/19 season to TG4, the Free-To-Air National Irish language broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

So TG4 get 21 games but will not be allowed show Leinster v Munster or the reverse fixture. Not clear if they they get any play offs either because that 21 games coincidentally or otherwise matches the number of weeks in the regular season.

Zzippy wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Eir overall is better value.

Premier Sports is complete garbage other than Pro14, unless you're an ice hockey or nascar fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Eir overall is better value.

Premier Sports is complete garbage other than Pro14, unless you're an ice hockey or nascar fan.

It’s better value if you like soccer.

Which to be fair I think most people do.

It’s better value if you like soccer.

Which to be fair I think most people do.
    I would think the number of people who buy sports channels purely for rugby union is a fairly insignificant number in the grand scheme of things.

icdg wrote: »
    So TG4 get 21 games but will not be allowed show Leinster v Munster or the reverse fixture. Not clear if they they get any play offs either because that 21 games coincidentally or otherwise matches the number of weeks in the regular season.

TG4, the home of Connacht Rugby?

All games shown on eir sport 1 & 2 according to the FAQs.. scheduling of matches is Gonna be interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You can get it on Sky too. 27.50 a month though which is pricier than I thought it was.

Pfffffff! Nope, not paying that much. Wasn't the UK deal only £10 a month? I'd be willing to pay that.
    bennyl10 wrote: »
    27 on sky is cheaper than sky sports too...

But €27.50 is more than you'd pay for Sky Sports, 3 times more if you already have Sky Movies with them.
    Eir excuse that they have champions league, champions cup, UFC, premier league, etc..

None of which are watched in my house. Literally the only sport watched on TV in our house is rugby, with the occasional GAA game on terrestrial.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Pfffffff! Nope, not paying that much. Wasn't the UK deal only £10 a month? I'd be willing to pay that, but €27.50 is more than you'd pay for Sky Sports, 3 times more if you already have Sky Movies with them.

SKy sports is 40 a month?..

And you can't even compare premier sports with eir at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

What's the best option for someone currently on Sky who wants to watch both league and european games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

SKy sports is 40 a month?..

And you can't even compare premier sports with eir at all!

If you're a new customer, but as an existing customer you'll always get half priced 6/9 month deals which will cover a season.

But your point highlights that nobody is going to pay that much purely for rugby. Had they an on demand service just for rugby as part of the broadcasting deal then that would be ideal for I'm sure a whole load of people.

Advertisement