Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conspiracy about the flat earth conspiracy - Thread bans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I've no idea why they would fake it.

But do you not find it weird that the continents are different sizes in the 2 images ?

The point you are missing.
    These sites that claim you cannot trust nasa photos expect you to trust the photos they provide.

They also completely miss represent information.

I have went down a few rabit holes with this stuff, when you look at many of the images NASA has printed they clearly state the images are composites.

Composite meaning the images are not one image but many images taken and different times to give a better image resolution.

NASA do not hide this, but flat earthers hide the fact that NASA clearly state this on the images.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

King Mob wrote: »

the reason so many people are being convinced of this stuff.

Idiots believe anything you tell them. Then they tell their idiot friends. In the end you end up with George Bush invading the moon cz 'of oil'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

househero wrote: »
    Idiots believe anything you tell them. Then they tell their idiot friends. In the end you end up with George Bush invading the moon cz 'of oil'.

I'd say it's a little more complicated than that. If Flat Earthers are the kind who believe anything you tell them then they would have accepted the conventional view that the world is round even more readily than everyone else. After all, it's this conventional view that's pushed by most, if not all, forms of publicly funded education in the Western world, if not worldwide, as well as in almost every movie, book and TV show, so that's plenty of scope to condition the easily lead, outside of all the actual evidence for the more curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is it possible that the "government" invented the flat earth theory to both discredit conspiracy theorists (make them look like absolute loonies who shouldn't be listened to)
    Would be a redundant and unnecessary move. It's not as as if they'd look like non-absolute loonies if there wasn't a flat earth 'theory'.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

So its a flat earth
    with ice walls around the edges to keep the water in with snipers on top of them
    To stop people from finding out that its flat

Meanwhile the solar system satelites are all round ie sun moon and planets
    Its just the earth thats flat

and Austrilia doesnt exist
    Its just full of actors in South America pretending to be Aussies

Yup

Sounds legit to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wonder if the Flat Earth people and the Hollow Earth people are sworn enemies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So how does day time/night time work and seasons work for these attention seekers people?
    Does the sun just go behind a cuboid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

briany wrote: »
    I wonder if the Flat Earth people and the Hollow Earth people are sworn enemies?

When they look at the Moon shape in the night sky do they see a flat Earth instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Even David Icke doesn’t talk bout flat earth and he’s king of conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Obrienc

Can you even have a conspiracy theory about a conspiracy theory?? :P
    I would say yes...

I listen to Richard Dolan on kgra.... He's a level headed investigator into UFOs and his opinion is that the group disclosing the tic tac UFO was like this... An attempt to steer people's attention in certain directions... That was obviously NSA led.

If it distracts then it works.

Getting investigators to investigate nonsense and to argue amongst themselves is one of the greatest ways to control the conversation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Dr. Bre wrote: »

In one of Ickes videos he said it didn't matter what shape the earth is because its a hologram.

The whole flat earth "debate" could be put to bed if Antarctica was fully opened up to the public.

Antarctica is almost like area 51 in terms of secrecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

The whole flat earth "debate" could be put to bed if Antarctica was fully opened up to the public.

But it's not though.
    https://oceanwide-expeditions.com/antarctica/cruises?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi4ne4uTg2gIVQnZgCh0qyQJwEAAYASAAEgJKgvD_BwE

Barring that, why can't they just pony up for their own expedition?

Why would this convince Flat Earthers when every single other piece of logic and evidence hasn't convinced them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Out of curiosity, what's the Flat-Earth explanation for the live feed from the ISS that we can see on youtube?

I mean, there's a camera stuck to a craft that was shot up in the air and is now orbiting the earth and this camera is broadcasting live. As a civilisation, we can literally get off the earth and look at the damned thing. Is it all faked or something?

You can buy a boat in Argentina and just go there. You might be told to féck off when you get to port but you'll at least see that there is actually something there.

That still wouldn't be enough to put the flat earth thing to bed, however. The hoaxers behind it would just say that the landmass is an illusion and the marks would lap it up.

King Mob wrote: »
    But it's not though.
    https://oceanwide-expeditions.com/antarctica/cruises?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi4ne4uTg2gIVQnZgCh0qyQJwEAAYASAAEgJKgvD_BwE

Barring that, why can't they just pony up for their own expedition?

Why would this convince Flat Earthers when every single other piece of logic and evidence hasn't convinced them?

Most of the Antarctic has restricted access due to the Antarctic Treaty.

They make it very hard for ordinary civilians to fully expore the continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But you can go there and see there's no giant wall of ice. There's nothing stopping people from exploring, but this requires investment, skill and courage.

There's thousands of reports from thousands of people who have gone there who are not affiliated with the governments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fch483sIoMA&list=PLcUY9vudNKBNwwi2jq-9q1BCZ9RigQRdG

Also. The world isn't flat, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Yeah but what does Jim Corr think of it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

With commercial space tourism about 5 years away, this conspiracy theory will sort itself out very soon.

No point even giving it the time of day. Just wait 5 years or so and go from there.

With commercial space tourism about 5 years away, this conspiracy theory will sort itself out very soon.

No point even giving it the time of day. Just wait 5 years or so and go from there.

I actually think that this is one of the more interesting hoaxes out there.

With something like the 911 attacks or the moon landing stuff, you can kind of see how someone could fall for them - the claims made appear to be scientific on their faces even if what underpins them isn't. There's at least an attempt at rationality.

What makes the flat earth stuff so fascinating, forgetting for a moment that it's up there with the drop-bears, Finland's non-existence and Bielfield's non-existence in terms of internet hoaxes, is the volume of evidence and the ease with which a layman can check whether or not the earth is flat or spherical.

We have multiple pictures of the earth from space. We have real time video from satellites. We had Elon Musk's car broadcasting the orbit a few months ago. Even if we exclude the photo and video evidence, the curvature of the earth can be observed with simple experimentation and trigonometry as has already been covered here. Even amateurs can tie a camera to a balloon and send it up.

The flat earth people have zero evidence that would suggest that a flat earth. Sure, they have alternative explanations for phenomena that require a spherical earth and can make stuff up about Antarctica not existing but there's no experiment that they can point to and no phenomenon that can only be explained by a flat earth. They have absolutely nothing other than an inability do discern reality from their computers. That takes a special kind of gullibility which unfortunately seems to be on the rise.

• Advertisement

I was watching the news* the other day and they were talking about Trump et al, and were going on about conspiracy theories that supporters believe exist to discredit him.

The psychologist on the show was saying that basically the people think they're so important that if someone tries to offer a counter-point, they believe its an attempt to deceive as they are perfect and always right. There's a narcissistic element to it as well.

I'd say the Flat Earth ****e is a mix between people being gullible and highly suggestible, and people being so full of themselves and thinking they're so great that jealous people are out to deceive them.

*(I think it was on BBC breakfast news a few days ago. I'd post a video if i knew where to find it because I didn't explain it well at all.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

No, you'd have flown clockwise around the disc, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Emme wrote:
    If the earth was flat cats would have pushed everything off it by now.

Best response EVER!!

:D

There is an ironic stupidity to what you are saying.

Restricting access to Antarctica would only be feasible if it was a body of land on a sphere in order to enforce the restriction logistically, if it was indeed a wall around the circumference of the planet it would be accessible literally from the 4 corners of the flat earth, the further-est thing from the wall would be he wall on the opposite side.
    How long would this wall be?
    Based on the known size of countries this would would need to be at least 100,000+Km in length.... Explain how it would be feasible to stop people going to the edge?

Flat earthers simply ignore anything that destroys their argument, as soon as you would debunk one thing they will jump to another.
    If they could go to Antarctica they would come up with another reason..... Fanatics are hard to convince.

They were talking about "flat earth" on This Morning a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

What shape do they think the Moon is? How likely is it the shape of the Moon would not be the same as the Earth?

I have listened to all three of these guys before.

It is hard to know if they are genuinely this stupid or if this is some kind of scam. I think scam!
    Flat earth debates get a lot of hits on youtube, all three of them have managed to get on mainstream tv and make themselves look like idiots...
    But maybe they are not idiots, maybe they have managed to monetize a stupid theory....

The middle guy was once asked if the earth is flat how is it that if you travel due west eventually you return to where you left off.
    Now some flat earthers will say that due to the magnetization of the North pole that you end up traveling in a circle, but that dude called it a cosmic blip, like pac-man you just magically appear at the other end. But then he wants to throw ambiguity to what gravity is!

They are not interested in science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I always thought there was nobody who really believed in the flat earth theory, just people on the internet arguing AGAINST it because it makes them feel clever and vaguely scientifically informed.

Then I moved to Denton Texas. My first day there I drove past a car absolutely COVERED in slogans and flags and stuff saying that "earth is flat" and that we should "RESEARCH IT" and to look up some guy called Dubray on youtube.

Turns out there are two such cars around our little university town like this, both owned by the same guy, whose house is also covered in similar slogans. I thought it must be an elaborate joke but apparently he's for real. Here's an article about him in the college newspaper:

https://www.ntdaily.com/a-local-conspiracy-realist/

My wife drove by his house once and he was out in the front garden waving a gigantic Texas flag on the bonnet of his car, topless.

It's amazing. I've never talked to him, but by all accounts he's quite personable, and REALLY eager to talk about his theory.

Anyway on topic with the general tendency that flat earthers all seem to have specific little versions of the theory and quirks in their theory, this guy's really interesting one is that he says that after the "wall" of Antarctica, the land goes on, infinitely, in every direction.

Oh, I highly recommend reading the comments, by the way.

Advertisement