Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critically panned films that are loved by many

Options

Comments

'Used to' despise it-used to.

Gump is just a bit of fluff, but the more you watch it, the more you realise it's very much a 'white America' movie. Like, the famous people he meets are white, it doesn't cover anything such as Black civil rights-not even Malcolm X or Martin Luther King, and the main 'love story' is actually really awful.
    Like, she treats him like crap-if the roles were reversed, she'd be the douchebag boyfriend.

I think you missed the point a bit. Its not a "White America" movie. Its American history with a fictional slant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Freddie got fingered, even Tom Green had a look at the reviews recently and was blown away by the absolute hatred AND the absolute love for it, went to see him in vicar Street last year and he was having a laugh with the amount of quotes the crowd knew off by heart compared to seeeerious movies.... I remember I met a mate on the street back in the day and he dragged me back to his place to watch it and we p1ssed ourselves and I grabbed it and brought it home and was making tea and could hear by sister screaming laughing in the sitting room... One person I showed it too didn't speak to me for years :)

I'll fly the flag for 'Freddie Got Fingered'.

A mental film that has me astounded and laughing at the same time. Can't believe that people gave Tom Green money to make a film and then he went and made that. Either genius or madness.

Daddy would you like some sausage? Daddy would you like some sausages?

WTF :eek: :confused: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

....... wrote: »
    To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everythung Julie Newmar.

Less than 40% on rotten tomatoes, over 70% audience score.

People just loved seeing Patruck Swayze, Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo in drag.

Personally Swayzes performance did it for me. So genteel.

My friend loved that film when we were about 13. I thought it was alright but she watched it loads of times and then she said something to me about it and it turned out she genuinely didn't realise John Leguizamos character was in drag. :confused: I was like "that's what the whole film is about!" :)

Lorelli! wrote: »
    My friend loved that film when we were about 13. I thought it was alright but she watched it loads of times and then she said something to me about it and it turned out she genuinely didn't realise John Leguizamos character was in drag. :confused: I was like "that's what the whole film is about!" :)

Huh?

That's like not realising 'Jaws' was about a shark. :D

Tony EH wrote: »
    Huh?

That's like not realising 'Jaws' was about a shark. :D

I know! That's exactly what it's like :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tony EH wrote: »
    Freddie got fingered, even Tom Green had a look at the reviews recently and was blown away by the absolute hatred AND the absolute love for it, went to see him in vicar Street last year and he was having a laugh with the amount of quotes the crowd knew off by heart compared to seeeerious movies.... I remember I met a mate on the street back in the day and he dragged me back to his place to watch it and we p1ssed ourselves and I grabbed it and brought it home and was making tea and could hear by sister screaming laughing in the sitting room... One person I showed it too didn't speak to me for years :)

I'll fly the flag for 'Freddie Got Fingered'.

A mental film that has me astounded and laughing at the same time. Can't believe that people gave Tom Green money to make a film and then he went and made that. Either genius or madness.

Daddy would you like some sausage? Daddy would you like some sausages?

WTF :eek: :confused: :pac:
    My daughter was saying that as a 3 year old :)

My daughter was saying that as a 3 year old :)

So long as she's not still saying it at 33, you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Con Air, so terrible - so brilliant. For John Malkovich and Steve Buscemi's part alone.

edit: honourable mention to Colm Meaney's awful American accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

So bad it's amazing.

Flash Gordon is the same.[/quote]
    Flash is deadly :)

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Heavens Gate got panned but I quite liked it.

I never saw Heavens Gate but I've heard its very good. It seriously bombed though. Isnt it something like 5 and half hours long? If so I'd say that had a lot to do with it. It'd be hard to sit in the cinema for that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think you missed the point a bit. Its not a "White America" movie. Its American history with a fictional slant.

That would be fine-but the director, Robert Zemeckis, has done it before-ignore the African American aspect of American Life. Notably Back to the Future. It's why it doesn't work for me.
    It's been pointed out quite often that it's a 'whitewashed' version of American history-so it not just me.

Tbf, John Leguizamo had played many roles in drag-he's a really observant performer, vastly underrated. I can understand how your friend missed that.His story of behind the scenes shootings (such as working with Steven Seagal) are really insightful and incredulous. (Spoilers-Seagal was a jerk).

Didn't that film get panned because it paled in comparison to Priscilla, queen of the Desert? It even did the 'put a ton of actors into the movie to hide the faults'. 'All Star cast' is my most feared phrase when it comes to movies.

'Put the Bu-Neh down'... It's so tragically good-even that song by Trisha Yearwood is dreadful

Another good/ bad movie is Lake Placid-Brendan Gleeson's 'Americ-no Irish, no Americ-back to Irish' accent is so bad it has to be heard to be believed. No wonder he never does accents. Bridget Fonda is terribly miscast-between this and Monkeybone (bizarre yet cannot look away kinda film), I think this was when she decided to quit acting.
    Betty White is brilliant in it tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Dude, Where's My Car? That was slaughtered by critics and of course a load of teenagers/early twenty somethings rave on about it on YT today and at the time of its release. The Chinese food drive through scene is very weird. 'Andthennnnn? Andthennnn?' The whole film is surreal and not terribly funny.

It's true-and strangely absent from that documentary The Celluloid Closet. I know To Wong foo... wasn't released at the time however. But Priscilla was.

It's strange to think how Hollywood would be almost afraid to make those kinds of films-like The Boys in the Band was an honest analysis of being gay in a post-Stonewall world. Then Cruising (also directed by William Friedkin, he of Boys in the Band and the Exorcist) was the exact opposite-a thriller with a dangerously negative portrayal of homosexuals. (What people didn't discuss at the time was the film was inspired by real events-a serial killer, Paul Bateson, who preyed on gay men. He'd have a one night stand with em, then kill em).
    It's an interesting time capsule-AIDS reports would appear a year later.

Sadly, many gay people reported gay-bashings, including the writer of Philadelphia. The people who bashed him and his partner cited Cruising as an excuse.

The last ten seconds-Betty deserved the Oscar for that line alone.

Dude, Where's My Car? That was slaughtered by critics and of course a load of teenagers/early twenty somethings rave on about it on YT today and at the time of its release. The Chinese food drive through scene is very weird. 'Andthennnnn? Andthennnn?' The whole film is surreal and not terribly funny.

I think it was trying to be some kind of Bill and Ted.

Bill and Ted was excellent. Dude Wheres My Car, bogus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I won't have people describing Con Air as bad, or "so bad it's good". It's over the top, ludicrous, overblown and frequently insane, but they were well aware of what they were doing when they made it, and it's a masterpiece of it's type.

See also The Rock and Face/Off and any other film where they successfully harnessed Nic Cage's unique talents (again, he's not the terrible actor many claim - he's a great actor who merrily walks the fine line between genius and rubbish. He'll also do pretty much any movie for the paycheque. Every film he's been in, no matter how bad, has been improved by his presence in it).

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

loyatemu wrote: »
    I won't have people describing Con Air as bad, or "so bad it's good". It's over the top, ludicrous, overblown and frequently insane, but they were well aware of what they were doing when they made it, and it's a masterpiece of it's type.

See also The Rock and Face/Off and any other film where they successfully harnessed Nic Cage's unique talents (again, he's not the terrible actor many claim - he's a great actor who merrily walks the fine line between genius and rubbish. He'll also do pretty much any movie for the paycheque. Every film he's been in, no matter how bad, has been improved by his presence in it).

Gonna throw Gone in 60 seconds in there too, I have the Nic Cage boxset, I am not ashamed.

I think it was trying to be some kind of Bill and Ted.

Bill and Ted was excellent. Dude Wheres My Car, bogus :)

Yes, something like Bill and Ted for millennials. Maybe Wayne's World as well.

Harold and Kumar was a bit better as far as these kinds of films go. Although Harold was the young, under pressure professional type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Noodle Scratcher

Under Siege. Stephen Segal. Yer wan jumping out of the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Didn't realise Grease was panned by the critics, but they knew it would be a hit.
    40th anniversary.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/apr/20/panned-on-release-hopelessly-devoted-to-grease-40-years-later

Water John wrote: »
    Didn't realise Grease was panned by the critics, but they knew it would be a hit.
    40th anniversary.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/apr/20/panned-on-release-hopelessly-devoted-to-grease-40-years-later

And Big Trouble in Little China too! That was one of the best films ever made :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since seeing the thread about the new movie, I have to say Masters of the Universe. 17% on RT and I don't think I know anyone who dislikes it. And I don't know if I want to know anyone who does. :) Starring Monica from Friends and Paris from Star Trek Voyager.
    I remember watching "Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films" and that was the first time I heard about the negativity around the film. True it wasn't exactly loyal to the source material.

And how can the Short Circuit movies also have low ratings?!

loyatemu wrote: »

Cage is amazing! Has anybody ever spliced together every occupation he's ever played in a movie?

Anyone fond of Death Becomes her? It's a movie that's sort of too 'black comedy' for it's own good, I think. If it was made now, it would have done much better.

Dude, where's my Car is one of those movies that wanted to be a stoner movie, but they never do drugs-cos it's like a PG or 12's movie... (this from someone who's never done drugs). I remember that's what critics bashed it for, among other things (Ashton Kutcher, for example). And you can't really call it a Millennial movie, Millennial wasn't a thing then.

As for Big Trouble-that was actually well reviewed, it was just movie studio didn't know how to market it, and it had a terrible ad campaign, and flopped.

Con Air is just fascinatingly 'what the hell?' and-well, barring Buscemi and Malkovich. It's Nic Cage doing a bad Forest Gump impersonation. The Rock is entertaining, Face/Off... I can't stand Travolta in that. I find, outside of Grease, I can't stand Travolta in much. Cage is really good in Kick Ass (The one comic book movie he's good in-Ghost Rider is just Cage being Cage.)
    Captain Corelli's Mandolin is a really great example of an entire film miscast. (Christian Bale, in his 20s, and Nic Cage are meant to be the same age-one can do the accent, one sounds like a Marx brother).

Wasn't Taken a huge hit? Spawned sequels.

I used to like Short Circuit-then saw the sequel, and also the 'Indian' actor in it is a white actor...made up to look Indian. (It's not as bad as the time Angelina Jolie did the same). Yeesh.

Masters of the Universe is really interesting. Frank Langhella is great in it-but the mask needed to be finished-especially as it had no painting on it it all-so it doesn't look finished. I've seen many a review bashing it. The co-screenwriter of a History of Violence worked on it, and he has some interesting insights. The movie 'kind of' got a sequel (when Skeletor says 'he'll return' after the credits...he didn't, but they did have a script for MotU 2. It got rewritten and made as Cyborg starring Jean Claude Van Damme).

Dude, where's my Car is one of those movies that wanted to be a stoner movie, but they never do drugs-cos it's like a PG or 12's movie... (this from someone who's never done drugs). I remember that's what critics bashed it for, among other things (Ashton Kutcher, for example). And you can't really call it a Millennial movie, Millennial wasn't a thing then.

Dude, Where's My Car: It was released in 2001. It could not be any other thing other than a millennial movie. It might not have been marketed as such but clearly that's exactly the kind of people they were aiming for.

It's rated by common sense media 15+, BBFC is under maintenance at the moment, it's generally 15+ let's say, over all. It was not PG or 12's in Ireland that's for sure.

Did that film want to be a stoner film? Not really. It made some references to cannabis use.

Smoking dope is not that big of a deal IMO. Not all drugs are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"Ghost Rider" (2007). The critics tore it to shreds but it still did well enough for the appalling sequel to get made. Personally I believe it's worth watching if only for the scene where Blaze and Slade ride across the desert to the sound of Spiderbait's version of "Ghost Riders In The Sky".

• Advertisement

"Ghost Rider" (2007). The critics tore it to shreds but it still did well enough for the appalling sequel to get made. Personally I believe it's worth watching if only for the scene where Blaze and Slade ride across the desert to the sound of Spiderbait's version of "Ghost Riders In The Sky".

Well, there is the scene in the sequel where he pees fire. The design is really cool too, sequel I mean-burnt skeleton, leather bubbling and melting. Sweet.
    Just a shame the rest of it is...I so wished they had
    Dude, Where's My Car: It was released in 2001. It could not be any other thing other than a millennial movie. It might not have been marketed as such but clearly that's exactly the kind of people they were aiming for.

It's rated by common sense media 15+, BBFC is under maintenance at the moment, it's generally 15+ let's say, over all. It was not PG or 12's in Ireland that's for sure.

Did that film want to be a stoner film? Not really. It made some references to cannabis use.

Smoking dope is not that big of a deal IMO. Not all drugs are the same.

It may have been released as 12 or 15, I know Ireland was often very lax with film ratings at the time. (Michael Collins was rated 12, for example- also, I hate that movie. Michael Collins I mean). But then ratings might be reclassiified upon vhs/ dvd release. If it didn't show drug use, but implied it, it would get a lower rating in cinemas. Video and dvd might get a higher rating.

The plot literally says 'two potheads', so it was meant to be a stoner comedy, just the filmmakers chickened out and didn't show it, I think they feared an 18s rating or so and then would miss their audience. Originally released in 2000, then hit our shores in 2001. It's bizarre comparing it to other 15's movies which had a lot more in em.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242423/

I'm friends with stoners, so yeah I'm not bothered by it-I just have never done it.

Advertisement