Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critically panned films that are loved by many

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Space Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Starship Troopers.

Terrible movie. Its so terrible its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Starship Troopers.

If you mixed up your words and you meant to say “terribly great movie” then I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Starship Troopers.

It's a satire, and a decent one, the sequels, which didn't realise they were a satire, were awful. It's a solid 3/5 movie. I don't think the actors got the satire, and you'd wonder of Verhoeven knew what he was making either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Blown Away... Thoroughly enjoyable even with the bad Irish accents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's a Wonderful Life was mostly panned by the critics and it was even suggested that it was nothing but communist propaganda by some (given how it negatively portrayed bankers and promoted community run credit unions).

Vertigo was similarly slated. I think Hitchcock refused to even allow clips to be shown for years. Always does well in greatest ever movie polls now though.

American Psycho I almost didn't go to see as I had read that it was basically a film based on a book about how shallow men in society had become, particularly rich business men and it was being directed by this feminist. Turns out this was a deliberate move as the author of the book had been accused of being a misogynist and so they felt it would help it at the box office. Certainly more loved now than at the time of release for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Battleship. It is horrific but great fun and hilarious. I still use the quote "Not Today" when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Battleship. It is horrific but great fun and hilarious. I still use the quote "Not Today" when I can.

The hero tries a tactic (Art of War) that is only confirmed afterwards that he completely doesn't understand the tactic that could of led to them all being killed . .

It only has one reference to the game battleship where there is a spaceship hopping around the water in the most unconventional manner. So awful, its brilliant . .

That is fun popcorn, brainless crack at its finest . . Wouldn't recommend it to anybody, but I enjoy it with the kids who love it . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

astrofool wrote: »
    It's a satire, and a decent one, the sequels, which didn't realise they were a satire, were awful. It's a solid 3/5 movie. I don't think the actors got the satire, and you'd wonder of Verhoeven knew what he was making either :)

Actually the third one is very much like the original movie and a proper sequel.

Unfortunately the special effects are beyond abysmal, which sort of ruins the potential, despite being made in 2008 it looks like it's from early 90s TV.

It's a decent 'b-movie' though in the spirit of the original and plenty of satirical elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Superman: The Movie got poor reviews for being ponderous and overblown, but is generally well regarded by audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Mamma Mia!' even the makers knew it was a bit of fluff, but boy did it put bums on seats and DVDs in machines and so will the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any time someone uses Rottentomatoes to say a film is good or bad and I just feel like being argumentative, I point out how The Last Boy Scout is only at 44% when it should be at least double that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Alien 3. Specifically the assembly cut.

Fans tend to look favorably upon the assembly cut versus the theatrical version which is, in fairness, a mess.

Where would a person get a copy of the assembly cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,624 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Heavens Gate got panned but I quite liked it.

Someone once told me that Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory got panned when it came out but I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I can watch Forest Gump, but for years I DESPISED it. It's not great, tho.
    I know Casper got bashed on release, didn't do well either-but I still like the movie.

The Big Lebowski was despised on release, and was considered a massive disappointment after the Cohen's Fargo. Fight Club was hated by Roger Ebert as well (And Rosie O'Donnell hated the movie-then spoiled the 'twist' on her chat show...:mad:). I love those movies, btw. (Ditto Hook)
    Hocus Pocus-I love that movie-it got bashed upon release too. Has grown in popularity since then.

I don't know if its loved now-but Krull is a movie I like (yeah, won't defend this one). I can see a ton of good ideas done not very well. Labyrinth (with David Bowie and Jennifer Connoly) did badly on release, but has a massive following now. Never got that major dvd/ Blu ray release it kind of deserves. I don't know if it was a flop, or a disappointment-but Prince of Egypt is a really great interpretation of the Moses story-notably the animation and acting. Kind of a forgotten film. I like nearly all the Don Bluth films, including the weaker ones. Oh, and Ferngully. :)
    McGaggs wrote: »

I believe the 4 film box set (Alien-Aliens: Resurrection).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Casper got bashed? I really enjoyed that movie. The fact I had a crush on Christina might've helped.

I also liked both My Girl movies, though I think only the first one was liked by most non critic people

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Casper got bashed? I really enjoyed that movie. The fact I had a crush on Christina might've helped.

I also liked both My Girl movies, though I think only the first one was liked by most non critic people

Generally 'ok' to 'meh' to 'not good'-according to critics. Yeah, I think everyone had a crush on Christina Ricci at some point. ;)

Yeah, it seemed like every movie with Austin O'Brien (My Girl 2, Last Action Hero) got bashed-just because he was in em.
    Including My Girl 2. So bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

McGaggs wrote: »

It's included, as far as I know, in any of the DVD or Blu Ray sets out there.

It is on my 2003 anthology set anyways.

It's known as the directors cut on those sets as opposed to the theatrical version.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Freddie got fingered, even Tom Green had a look at the reviews recently and was blown away by the absolute hatred AND the absolute love for it, went to see him in vicar Street last year and he was having a laugh with the amount of quotes the crowd knew off by heart compared to seeeerious movies.... I remember I met a mate on the street back in the day and he dragged me back to his place to watch it and we p1ssed ourselves and I grabbed it and brought it home and was making tea and could hear by sister screaming laughing in the sitting room... One person I showed it too didn't speak to me for years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Freddie got fingered, even Tom Green had a look at the reviews recently and was blown away by the absolute hatred AND the absolute love for it, went to see him in vicar Street last year and he was having a laugh with the amount of quotes the crowd knew off by heart compared to seeeerious movies.... I remember I met a mate on the street back in the day and he dragged me back to his place to watch it and we p1ssed ourselves and I grabbed it and brought it home and was making tea and could hear by sister screaming laughing in the sitting room... One person I showed it too didn't speak to me for years :)

I thought the shower scene was hilarious. The father throws him through the glass. And that was one of the calmer scenes.

MacGruber was fairly panned and it has a bit of a cult following.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I must dig mcgruber out again that was funny alright

I didn't get McGruber, or Freddy Got Fingered...but I enjoyed Super Troopers and Joe Dirt...

Stupid movies, but entertainingly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I've watched The Ninth gate more than once. Seems to have a 'mixed bag' reputation.

Cheesy as hell in parts, but I love it, strangely. I can't really explain why. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Wasn't The Deer Hunter slated when originally released by nearly everyone but Ebert?

Don't understand all the hatred for Forest Gump.

One poster said he "DESPISED" it. Why?!?

• Advertisement

Don't understand all the hatred for Forest Gump.

One poster said he "DESPISED" it. Why?!?

'Used to' despise it-used to.

Well, for me, it comes down to the great movies that came out that year-Shawshank Redemption (which flopped on original release, I even own the DVD), Bullets over Broadway, Ed Wood, Quiz Show, Legends of the Fall and Pulp Fiction. I've seen those movies more often than I've seen Forest Gump.
    Gump is just a bit of fluff, but the more you watch it, the more you realise it's very much a 'white America' movie. Like, the famous people he meets are white, it doesn't cover anything such as Black civil rights-not even Malcolm X or Martin Luther King, and the main 'love story' is actually really awful.
    Like, she treats him like crap-if the roles were reversed, she'd be the douchebag boyfriend.

The music I like. The effects are really well done-except for the dead celebs (if you watch the lips, they do not sync up-the John Lennon bit is really bad). There's some amazing shots that were done with early CGI and so on that aged really well. Cinematography is really good too.
    I grew to hate the film less, and now I can sit there and watch it.
    I know a lot of people who love it. I can see why, and I don't hate em for it.

(Totally OT, but apparently Scarface was hammered on initial release-Roger Ebert championed that movie).

Advertisement