Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical weapon used on civilians in Syria + Airstrikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

5 days on and Syria and Russia are still preventing the OPCW from visiting the sites in Douma.

I think that rather undermines the case of anyone saying they should have waited for test results.

_100925888_de27.jpg
    CBS News found a yellow gas canister on the roof of a building allegedly targeted in Douma

There's a video of Russian troops and others just ambling about outside one of the gassed buildings in douma and entering it. Not the slightest sign of tension displayed by anyone so clearly there weren't armed hostiles in the vicinity at the time.

Whole thing is a charade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cnocbui wrote: »
    There's a video of Russian troops and others just ambling about outside one of the gassed buildings in douma and entering it. Not the slightest sign of tension displayed by anyone so clearly there weren't armed hostiles in the vicinity at the time.

Whole thing is a charade.

You don't know what (if anything) happened before and after recording that piece.

There may have been contact before, and sorted or the sh*t may have hit the fan right after filming.

War can be terribly boring much of the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

I don't think the video evidence that was shown is proof of anything. Nobody is coughing or showing symptoms. Some children are crying, as you would expect after being hosed down but their eyes look fine. The adults don't appear to have any problems. I've watched videos from both sides and it's obvious bodies are being moved and manipulated for photos.
    I believe in Robert Fisks story. His story is also backed up by another reporter there from the US called Robert Phearson. They have found a city beneath the city, tunnels big enough to drive trucks through, built by jihadi prisoners, rooms full of arsenal and a chemical lab.
    Robert Fisk was interviewed by Pat Kenny yesterday morning and when asked about the smell of chlorine from the backpack in a refugee camp that was on sky news. He said in the middle east people wash their clothes with chlorine so that wouldn't be unusual.

I too am skeptical of the white helmets. As far as I can tell they only operate in rebel held areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another one .

Seems this thread first stop for the newly registered lately

• Advertisement

I don't think the video evidence that was shown is proof of anything. Nobody is coughing or showing symptoms. Some children are crying, as you would expect after being hosed down but their eyes look fine. The adults don't appear to have any problems. I've watched videos from both sides and it's obvious bodies are being moved and manipulated for photos.
    I believe in Robert Fisks story. His story is also backed up by another reporter there from the US called Robert Phearson. They have found a city beneath the city, tunnels big enough to drive trucks through, built by jihadi prisoners, rooms full of arsenal and a chemical lab.
    Robert Fisk was interviewed by Pat Kenny yesterday morning and when asked about the smell of chlorine from the backpack in a refugee camp that was on sky news. He said in the middle east people wash their clothes with chlorine so that wouldn't be unusual.

I too am skeptical of the white helmets. As far as I can tell they only operate in rebel held areas.

Have you looked at the videos showing the corpses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I have absolutely no idea why some people question the impartiality of the White Helmets who have "no affiliation with any political or military actor".
    The White Helmets receives charitable funding from the United States, the United Kingdom, and other western governments. Initially the United Kingdom Foreign and Commonwealth Office was the largest single source of funding through Mayday Rescue Foundation. As of 2016, SCD state they are also partly funded through Chemonics, a U.S. based private international development company. Funders now include the Canadian government Peace and Stabilization Operations Program, the Danish government, the German government, the Japan International Cooperation Agency, the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs. the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the United Kingdom Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF). USAID have contributed at least $23 million from 2013 to March 2016. The British government had provided £15 million of funding between 2012 and November 2015,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Helmets_(Syrian_Civil_War)#Partnerships_and_funding

You don't know what (if anything) happened before and after recording that piece.

There may have been contact before, and sorted or the sh*t may have hit the fan right after filming.

War can be terribly boring much of the time too.

I guess those stories of Syrian and Russian forces having secured Douma were lies then. Funny how 5,000 Syrian troops haven't managed to rout the stragglers and can't protect even two buildings.

I have absolutely no idea why some people question the impartiality of the White Helmets who have "no affiliation with any political or military actor".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Helmets_(Syrian_Civil_War)#Partnerships_and_funding

So governments fund them as they render humanitarian aid where no one else can. What is your point, if you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Gatling wrote: »
    It seems somebody is trying their hardest to block the OPCW investigation into chemical weapons attacks

The head of a chemical weapons watchdog has said a UN security team has been shot at in Douma which has delayed the arrival of inspectors to the scene of a suspected poison gas attack.

UN security officers entered the Syrian town to assess the situation ahead of the planned visit by inspectors from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), sources said.

The OPCW inspectors are visiting Douma to investigate an alleged chemical attack on April 7 that it is claimed resulted in scores of civilians being gassed to death.

OPCW director-general Ahmet Üzümcü told a meeting at The Hague that the UN deployment came under gunfire on Tuesday

Well I don't know about you Gatling. But considering the **** storm that was Iraq ( universally agreed).

You think the inspectors would have been the first port of call, and damning evidence.before bombing all the evidence into oblivion.

It is the equivalent of the cops torching the crime scene. Don't think for one second there are not constant eyes in Syria so any excuse of moving the supposed weapons are out of the question.

If you're suggesting that Syria and Russia are Trying to hamper the investigation. It be easier to just say no investigation happening full stop.

America landed it's biggest tank operation into Europe long before this. It has been pushing for war and I don't know how people after Iraq and lybia still don't get the picture.

I don't condone any of the **** Assad has done. But if you don't get by now that some countries demand blood to run them. And changing that only opens the bloody flood gates you have not being paying attention to how bad these countries turn after the " heroe$$$$$" step in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Annd9

Lol. Sure you aren't. Interesting your first post on boards.ie sounds like Russian propaganda.

Who said it was my first post on boards ? NEW account does not mean first post . God forbid I have an interest in what could be one of the biggest international incidents in my lifetime to date .
    Where should I have posted first may I ask ?

@ Cnocbui , Being a newbie again I can not post links so you should have a look at the US State dept press briefing on the 27/4/2016 . Mark Toner is the one who mentions links to extremist groups ...
    Their cinematographer was also refused entry so you can see why people might be sceptical ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

gandalf wrote: »
    As horrible as White Phosphorus is it is not at the same level as Sarin or Chlorine gas and it does have a dual purpose and is legitimate for one of those. Then again it has been used by the Syrians and Russia in Syria and Russians have used it extensively in urban warfare. Apparently 1 in 5 shells used in the battle of Grozny by the Russians were White Phosphorus.

I do agree with you on the Saudis they do deserve attention as well but to my knowledge they haven't used prohibited Chemical Weapons.

White phosphorpous is technically not prohibited , but it's use in urban warfare has not always been used legally, and not just by Russia and Syria.. At least you agree about Saudi Arabia, unlike some other hypocrites here who give them a pass because they are a US ally.

To clarify, it is only an urban/rural distinction when the munition is dropped from aircraft. In all other cases, the normal rules on warfare apply. As a general rule (if there are exceptions, I can’t come up with any, though there may be some obscure ones), if it is legal to lob high explosives somewhere, it is equally legal to lob WP. It’s use has been somewhat reduced the last couple of decades due partially to the political issues associated with its use (I.e., for some reason people think getting burned with fire is abhorrent, but getting chopped up by projectiles is acceptable) and the fact that for a lot of purposes, other systems have been fielded which are more effective. In a fight as vicious as Grozny, the use of WP makes a fair bit of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

anybody who still believes the white helmets are impartial do-gooders is a fool

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well I don't know about you Gatling. But considering the **** storm that was Iraq ( universally agreed).

You think the inspectors would have been the first port of call, and damning evidence.before bombing all the evidence into oblivion.

It is the equivalent of the cops torching the crime scene. Don't think for one second there are not constant eyes in Syria so any excuse of moving the supposed weapons are out of the question.

If you're suggesting that Syria and Russia are Trying to hamper the investigation. It be easier to just say no investigation happening full stop.

America landed it's biggest tank operation into Europe long before this. It has been pushing for war and I don't know how people after Iraq and lybia still don't get the picture.

I don't condone any of the **** Assad has done. But if you don't get by now that some countries demand blood to run them. And changing that only opens the bloody flood gates you have not being paying attention to how bad these countries turn after the " heroe$$$$$" step in.

The missile strikes were nowhere near the site of the Chemical attack

Annd9 wrote: »
    Who said it was my first post on boards ? NEW account does not mean first post . God forbid I have an interest in what could be one of the biggest international incidents in my lifetime to date .

@ Cnocbui , Being a newbie again I can not post links so you should have a look at the US State dept press briefing on the 27/4/2016 . Mark Toner is the one who mentions links to extremist groups ...
    Their cinematographer was also refused entry so you can see why people might be sceptical ?

Actually, Toner made no such reference, he was speaking in generalities to cover the department's embarrassment:
    On April 27, 2016, State Department spokesman Mark Toner praised the group in a daily press briefing, claiming it has saved 40,000 lives. Asked why, if the group is so wonderful, ten days earlier their leader Ra'ed Al Saleh had his visa revoked and was sent back to Turkey when he tried to enter the US to receive a humanitarian award, Toner refused to make comments on specific visas but pointed out that if individuals have ties to extremist groups, this doesn't destroy the quality of work of other groups they might belong to. He mentioned that the "White Helmets" have received $US 23 million through USAID.

I suppose I could see how someone who cherry picks their news might have suspicions if they weren't aware of just how many people are commonly refused entry to the US. There are 60 grounds for refusal of entry into the US. Cat Stevens was refused entry to the US. Should the British government suspect him of links to terrorism? Should anyone else?

I guess those stories of Syrian and Russian forces having secured Douma were lies then. Funny how 5,000 Syrian troops haven't managed to rout the stragglers and can't protect even two buildings.

I don't find that either funny, or strange tbh.

From what I'm reading there's a vast tunnel system (both above and below ground) in Douma. It wouldn't surprise me that there are lone wolf snipers operating there.

As for Russian's seemingly relaxed in that environment, troops can be left with a false sense of security and switch off. A video or photo snaps a very brief moment in time, I wouldn't read a whole lot into what I see posted ~ 'believe half or what you see, and none of what you hear'.

I don't find that either funny, or strange tbh.

From what I'm reading there's a vast tunnel system (both above and below ground) in Douma. It wouldn't surprise me that there are lone wolf snipers operating there.

As for Russian's seemingly relaxed in that environment, troops can be left with a false sense of security and switch off. A video or photo snaps a very brief moment in time, I wouldn't read a whole lot into what I see posted ~ 'believe half or what you see, and none of what you hear'.

Robert Fisk braving death in one of the lone wolf sniper riddled tunnels beneath Douma

fisk6.jpg?itok=75nDoVZ3

You crack me up, really.

Here's one of the buildings that the OPCW team had to be protected from: Warning, the video contains Russian troops ambling about, civillians milling about, bicycles and other equally disturbing material - not for the faint of heart!

You crack me up, really.

Oh sorry, not sorry.

Well I don't have day and night to sit here chatting, life to be getting along with and all that ~ you know, that place where you walk away from boards.ie. Where there's no games console to play COD, and mammy isn't bringing you tea and bickies.

And I obviously can't compete with your combat experience which enables you to school us all here, COD PTSD is real bro?.

'Wars hell, and combats a killer' :p

G'day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fisk is no more than a Liberal looney lefty looney Liberal

One thing I'll say in his favor, and this is coming from someone who is largely pro Israel, pro USA.. If something you're doing is pissing off the Israeli's & the United States then you're probably doing something right!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One thing I'll say in his favor, and this is coming from someone who is largely pro Israel, pro USA.. If something you're doing is pissing off the Israeli's & the United States then you're probably doing something right!.

So fisk a western can walk around freely but yet the OPCW investigation team cannot seems odd no ?
    Nobody seems to taking potshots at the Russian military forces walking around wearing little body armour or plate carrier's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

So governments fund them as they render humanitarian aid where no one else can. What is your point, if you have one?
    And why do you think they only go places "where no one else can"?

This "looney" actually lives in the middle east and is fluent in Arabic unlike some shill "journalists" sitting in London or Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Annd9

Actually, Toner made no such reference, he was speaking in generalities to cover the department's embarrassment:

I suppose I could see how someone who cherry picks their news might have suspicions if they weren't aware of just how many people are commonly refused entry to the US. There are 60 grounds for refusal of entry into the US. Cat Stevens was refused entry to the US. Should the British government suspect him of links to terrorism? Should anyone else?

Toner is clearly referring to that individual .
    Journo : How can you separate the leader of the group from the group ?
    Toner : I'm not commenting on his specific case , however, any individual thought to have links to extremist groups or deemed a security risk shall be dealt with accordingly.

Nobody ever asked a question about links to Extremists so why the need to say that ? His main message was not to blame the whole group for one individuals actions, again ,why the need to say that ?
    What must he have done for it to reflect so badly on the group?

And like most sane people , yes I do cherry pick my news so I can hear different viewpoints and come to a logical and realistic conclusion on whatever subject that may be .

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

Yes. I've looked at every video I could find. In my opinion proves nothing. Every video has the same group of people in one location. A couple of adult women and about 12 children. Some bodies are moved in different videos. Babies appear to be added. There is no foaming at all in most of them and one picture has what looks like shaving foam coming out of a victims eye and mouth.
    I find it incredible to believe this could be the proof of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And why do you think they only go places "where no one else can"?

This "looney" actually lives in the middle east and is fluent in Arabic unlike some shill "journalists" sitting in London or Washington.
    I was joking

Yes. I've looked at every video I could find. In my opinion proves nothing. Every video has the same group of people in one location. A couple of adult women and about 12 children. Some bodies are moved in different videos. Babies appear to be added. There is no foaming at all in most of them and one picture has what looks like shaving foam coming out of a victims eye and mouth.
    I find it incredible to believe this could be the proof of anything.

Medical specialists familiar with chemical warfare looked at those same videos and concluded they appeared genuine and consistent with what they would expect from chemical weapons use, you put your opinion ahead of theirs then because you know better?

Oh sorry, not sorry.

Well I don't have day and night to sit here chatting, life to be getting along with and all that ~ you know, that place where you walk away from boards.ie. Where there's no games console to play COD, and mammy isn't bringing you tea and bickies.

And I obviously can't compete with your combat experience which enables you to school us all here, COD PTSD is real bro?.

'Wars hell, and combats a killer' :p

G'day.

Funnily enough, I am the one who used to provide milk and bikkies to the COD player.

All this militaristic lingo you like throw about for effect, I can't tell you how much it impresses me. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Annd9 wrote: »

And what was your previous username out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Medical specialists familiar with chemical warfare looked at those same videos and concluded they appeared genuine and consistent with what they would expect from chemical weapons use, you put your opinion ahead of theirs then because you know better?

How about taking in the views of a doctor that was actually on the ground in Douma:

Fisk goes on to identify the doctor by name – Dr. Assim Rahaibani – which is notable given the fact that all early reporting from Douma typically relied on “unnamed doctors” and anonymous opposition sources for early claims of a chlorine gas attack (lately morphed into an unverified “mixed” chlorine-and-sarin attack).

The doctor’s testimony is consistent with that of the well-known Syrian opposition group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), which initially reported based on its own pro-rebel sourcing that heavy government bombardment of Douma city resulted in the collapse of homes and underground shelters, causing civilians in hiding to suffocate.

According to SOHR, which has long been a key go-to source for mainstream media over the course of the war, “70 of them [women and children] have suffered suffocation as a result of the demolition of home basements over them due to the heavy and intense shelling.

Fisk details the Syrian doctor’s testimony, who is adamant in his emphasis that civilians were suffocating en masse, and were not gassed:

It was a short walk to Dr Rahaibani. From the door of his subterranean clinic–“Point 200”, it is called, in the weird geology of this partly-underground city–is a corridor leading downhill where he showed me his lowly hospital and the few beds where a small girl was crying as nurses treated a cut above her eye.

“I was with my family in the basement of my home three hundred metres from here on the night but all the doctors know what happened. There was a lot of shelling [by government forces] and aircraft were always over Douma at night–but on this night, there was wind and huge dust clouds began to come into the basements and cellars where people lived. People began to arrive here suffering from hypoxia, oxygen loss. Then someone at the door, a “White Helmet”, shouted “Gas!”, and a panic began. People started throwing water over each other. Yes, the video was filmed here, it is genuine, but what you see are people suffering from hypoxia–not gas poisoning.”

• Advertisement

Comedy gold. You couldn't make this up!
    April 12, 2018 / 5:45 PM / 7 days ago
    Syria says will holds West responsible for any obstruction to OPCW mission

AMMAN (Reuters) - Syria said on Thursday it would hold the West responsible for any delay in the arrival of a mission from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) to investigate a suspected chemical attack.

A source in the foreign ministry was quoted as saying in a news flash on state television that Western parties were seeking to obstruct the mission’s task and “meddle in its work”.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-opcw/syria-says-will-holds-west-responsible-for-any-obstruction-to-opcw-mission-idUSKBN1HJ2TM

And a week on and the OPCW still haven't gone on site due to Syrian/Russian obstruction.

This is reminiscent of Russia pre-warning of the Syrian governments chemical attack in Douma by claiming a false-flag avent was about to occur.

Bit of a pattern forming here: pre-announce to the world your bad deeds - pre-blaming the opposition as being the real culprits, and expect the world to be collectively thick and unable to see through your ruse.

Advertisement