Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

DPolo wrote: »
    Strange, why they don't have the rears on as standard makes no sense considering when Audi brought them out on the B8 they made a big deal of them being a safety thing

The B9 has Pre City Sense which I think is a decent safety feature compared to the likes of DRL's. It really does have the ability to prevent collisions with other other cars or pedestrians if for whatever reason the driver isn't paying attention or doesn't react. Acts like an extra layer of protection. I know its far from an Audi only thing loads of manufactures have although not all have it on the base spec models.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,418 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you saying rear lights are unnecessary because your car will see the other car if you don’t? :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you saying rear lights are unnecessary because your car will see the other car if you don’t? :)

Ah no the tail lights are important but DRL's as a concept were to have the front lights on all the time to improve how visible the car is to others in reality how much of a difference have they made not a massive amount especially when you consider most are only set up with front lights as said tail lights are off.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Ah no the tail lights are important but DRL's as a concept were to have the front lights on all the time to improve how visible the car is to others in reality how much of a difference have they made not a massive amount especially when you consider most are only set up with front lights as said tail lights are off.

You have to factor human nature in though, there are those that don’t realize that their rear lights don’t come on. back in the day if you had no front lights on people would flash their lights at you, now they won’t get that warning. Also even 15 years ago, most cars would have no dash illumination with the lights off, now the speedo etc lights up all the time.
    It’s easy to just say people should just remember, but it doesn’t really work in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Having lights that are already in every car set to on by default is less expensive than installing a radar system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭blackbox

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Having lights that are already in every car set to on by default is less expensive than installing a radar system.

And it's easy to prevent people from driving with their parking lights on. Back in the 70s I had a Fiat Uno and the only way to switch on the parking lights was to remove the key (while pressing a little button).

Augeo wrote: »
    Back lights should be on with Drls imo on all cars.
    Depends on the car, Mazda's from 09 onwards , and a lot of BMW's use their front and rear lights for DRL's, its in their trip computer settings for turning them on and off

My opinion is that back lights should be on with DRLs on all cars, by DRLs I meant the fronts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

Augeo wrote: »
    My opinion is that back lights should be on with DRLs on all cars, by DRLs I meant the fronts :)

Bit of an add-on to that, the 09 Mazda6 I had you couldn't turn off the dipped beam headlights, they were permanently on as DRL's, same as the Volvo's used to do, dunno how the tiny DRL bulbs on something like a newer golf or passat pass as safety equipment :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Bit of an add-on to that, the 09 Mazda6 I had you couldn't turn off the dipped beam headlights, they were permanently on as DRL's, same as the Volvo's used to do, dunno how the tiny DRL bulbs on something like a newer golf or passat pass as safety equipment :confused:

You could add a relay i believe to stop the Mazda's constant dipped beam.

But I'm not sure where you're getting at the the VW comment, DRL's are not to help you see, just to let others see you.

morritty wrote: »
    You could add a relay i believe to stop the Mazda's constant dipped beam.

But I'm not sure where you're getting at the the VW comment, DRL's are not to help you see, just to let others see you.

As in they're not particularly noticable, on the Passat's or something like a Merc E-class they're hidden in the front fog lights, not much brighter than a parking light, a permanent dipped beam would be cheaper and easier for manufacturers?

IIRC for the Mazda you could swap the relay for the one from a model with auto headlights to turn them off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

As in they're not particularly noticable, on the Passat's or something like a Merc E-class they're hidden in the front fog lights, not much brighter than a parking light, a permanent dipped beam would be cheaper and easier for manufacturers?

IIRC for the Mazda you could swap the relay for the one from a model with auto headlights to turn them off?

I've the same set up in my Superb, to be honest its bright enough for what it needs to be. Same bayonet type bulb as a reverse light.

Correct, Auto light relay fixed it, an expensive fix though. Never really bothered me with my old 6.

blackbox wrote: »
    And it's easy to prevent people from driving with their parking lights on. Back in the 70s I had a Fiat Uno and the only way to switch on the parking lights was to remove the key (while pressing a little button).
    Mk2 Punto did this, not sure if the Grande Punto does too. Very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My dad's 89 sunny had DRLs fitted not standard but were fitted by 1st owner.

He use to be flashed all the time as back in the 90's people never used their lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

...in hindsight, putting an engine into the boot of the car was a bad idea.

Anyway, it's one thing to buy an engine that 'ran when parked' and quite another to buy one that's still hot from the last time it ran. And can be turned over by hand.

vintagevrs wrote: »

I wasn’t saying that the radar is a better alternative to DRLs wasn’t really comparing them. Just meant that as safety features go they have come on a lot in the last few years.

Dartz wrote: »
    ...in hindsight, putting an engine into the boot of the car was a bad idea.

Anyway, it's one thing to buy an engine that 'ran when parked' and quite another to buy one that's still hot from the last time it ran. And can be turned over by hand.

You bought a scrap engine and it's in the boot of your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

****ing furious!!! Steped out outisde to see stuff from my glove box scattered across my car. Passenger door closed, drivers open and alarm did not even go off when I opened the car. Nothing is taken. Thats second time this year!!!

Nothing damaged, no forced entry. Nothing taken as I dont keep anything in the car anymore. Wtf?! Looks like no other car touched, again!

We sow a group of young fellas skulking around near my car last evening, but didn't see them do anything.

At this point I dont even know wtf to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

****ing scumbags how are they opening the car?

Might sound stupid, does the car have keyless entry?

Might sound stupid, does the car have keyless entry?

Nope. Normal key. Only central locking and alarm. Both factory.

I am so pissed. I cant put security cameras outside as its a bungalow type house. They will just nick that too. Maybe some camera through the window would do, but motion sensors dont work then.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    A lot of the newer ones work off the video feed for motion detection so will work fine through a window.

Any recommendations? Something decent, but not costing as much as second car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I am so pissed. I cant put security cameras outside as its a bungalow type house. They will just nick that too. Maybe some camera through the window would do, but motion sensors dont work then.

Maybe a dash cam pointed inside the car? Lots of taxis have these

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Maybe a dash cam pointed inside the car? Lots of taxis have these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have one of these pointing out the windows of the house:

https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_693217.html

Good quality camera, although nightvision doesn't work when pointing through a window, as the IR light just reflects back. I would look into getting an outdoor camera though, even on a bungalow you can mount it high up the wall and it will be screwed in place. A cheap option would be:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Weatherproof-Surveillance-Detection/dp/B0776V3CG5/ref=sr_1_20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You can reduce the harsh look of that by polishing it but there seems to be paint removed so it won't polish out completely.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I've a Xiaomi Yi looking out the upstairs window and it's very good for motion detection (you set the detection area). Not too expensive either and €20 a year uploads all the clips to their cloud (a week at a time before overwriting).

Edit - this one. I got it from Amazon but I don't see them on it now. There's a 1080p version too.

Is it reputable website? Can I order from there?

I have to say, I am lost with all those cameras. Amazon has a few, but I dont even know what to look for.
    All I need is to put it down near the window and record stuff. Preferably with motion sensor. IRones wont work as mentioned here.

That logitech looks perfect, but its 400$++ and I am not sure if its available in europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I got a bit of good news today, waiting almost 5 months for an outcome but finally received a settlement for damage caused to the car due to hitting a pothole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement