Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

I've went throught the whole process declaring everything (probably unnecessarily tbh) but it worked out ok for me.  Personally speaking, you're better declaring something they can write-off rather than not declaring it and they find out as it can look deceptive and dishonest. 

I  would declare it and put a note to explain that the fractures were not due to any conditions per se, but rather as a result of an accident which has not affected anything since you've healed.  I think they're more concerned about ongoing issues or hidden issues.  We've all had accidents of some form or another.  It's nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

The form your GP fills out will have summary of all major injuries and all minor/major procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭KnightRider21

Thanks guys, ill note them down just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goodburger1

I noted everything on my medical. Failed it though and appealed and passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sherlock17

On my MHQ I have put down that I had a short spell of anxiety 2 years ago. I’m worried this will rule me out of the campaign. Has anyone else any experience with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

my Dr filled mine out in front of me and I questioned the bit about fractures etc and he looked at me as if I was stupid and said has it left u disabled or dysfunctional,he said it uses that terminology so that people don't list a lot of unnecessary info because all they care about is has it left any lasting implications, just answer the question lol that's what my Dr said anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Thierryonwii

Guys in regards to the sickness absence over the past three years, does this only mean sickness that I’ve needed treatment for or a doctors sick line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cuckoo123

Bob, did you get any evidence from doctor, i.e. medical notes etc?

I just have a couple of minor things that didn't turn into anything but was referred to physio etc. But my GP has just signed the form and not provided any further evidence.

Just trying to figure out if I should go back to get my notes or whether my GP signing to say I'm fit and well will be enough.

cuckoo123 wrote: »

I just have a couple of minor things that didn't turn into anything but was referred to physio etc. But my GP has just signed the form and not provided any further evidence.

Just trying to figure out if I should go back to get my notes or whether my GP signing to say I'm fit and well will be enough.

My Dr was pretty blunt and said answer the question directly because they don't want to or have any need for all details,if they did they would have asked for everything,the fact that they are specific in the questions means you give a specific answer,also told me to Wyse up and stop overthinking things,because there is nothing wrong with me lol I have had minor things aswell but no operations etc and nothing with any affect,have since spoken to serving police and they are telling me the same thing,don't overconplicate a direct question

cuckoo123 wrote: »

My Dr was pretty blunt and said answer the question directly because they don't want to or have any need for all details,if they did they would have asked for everything,the fact that they are specific in the questions means you give a specific answer,also told me to Wyse up and stop overthinking things,because there is nothing wrong with me lol I have had minor things aswell but no operations etc and nothing with any affect,have since spoken to serving police and they are telling me the same thing,don't overconplicate a direct question

• Advertisement

at the end of the day your Dr has all your records in front of him and he has no reason to tell nothing but the truth and he has stamped it so who are we to question a medical professional ,although i did ask questions etc through paranoya like yourself, because there is nothing you start to think there should be lol

so really wanted to avoid tablets before the medical but the cold has just arrived badly so couple of cold and flu had to be taken ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

Hi guys/ladies

I am a bit concerned about the medical requirments for eyesight, the website says

Bilateral visual acuity, using corrective lenses if necessary of at least 6.6 (6/7.5 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other eye)
    Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly

I know I can't meet the unaided standerds so I am wondering could contact lenses ne an acceptable alternative? The prison service had stricter slandereds but they would accept contact lenses instead pretty much, any body any better enlightened than me on this issue?

Thanks

hey guys so what did use all wear to the medical.?as far as non prescribed drugs like paracetamol etc do we need to take a list ?

Hi Sparky - I'm not sure on the eyesight thing but I'm sure someone will weigh in to help.

Bob - I wore a mankini as it was easy to remove.  And shoes, obviously :P

haha ur a funny boy lol joggers etc I'm assuming will be fine

on another note is the medical centre easily located?when I type it into maps there seems to be a lot of options round same area?

Yes - stop overthinking things and relax lol!

It's easily located - you'll be directed where to park and are essentially hand-guided to where you need to go.  I have a funny feeling you'll have no difficulties peeing on demand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Is Asthma a barrier to getting in?

It would probably depend on the severity.  I'd imagine if it can be easily controlled, you'd be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Anotherhopeful

Hey guys ive my medical shortly.... im under investigation for possible IBD but have been asymptomatic for a year abd the condition hasnt been confirmed im still under going tests is there a chance it could rule me out even though its not yet confirmed?

Also do you see a DR on the day or just a nurse?

Very few things are going to deny you entry.

Police have to consider reasonable adjustments unlike the Armed Forces.

You just may end up getting reduced ill health benefits reference pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrlovalova22

Morning folks,

Unfortunately I am currently off sick at the moment with work, due to circumstances out of my control.

Does anyone know if that is a big factor in the medical/ is it asked about?

Cheers!

If it's mental health it my may have an impact. The police have a duty of care to you and and the public.

The PSNI operate in a divided society, high pressure and the threat of terrorist attempts to murder police officers on a reasonably regular basis compared to other GB forces is going to take a toll.

You will be expected to carry a firearm, and if you have a moderate to severe mental health limitations then that is an obvious risk.

I have had low mood before and I have been assured that that will be grand. As I have never been medicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

Morning folks,

Unfortunately I am currently off sick at the moment with work, due to circumstances out of my control.

Does anyone know if that is a big factor in the medical/ is it asked about?

Cheers!
    If I remember correctly, the medical form asks how many days you have been off sick in your current job and asks why. I would think that they would only investigate if it is a significant number of days and they would want backup from your GP. If it is a few days with flu or something, then you would be grand. That's just my opinion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Anotherhopeful

Hi guys/ladies

I am a bit concerned about the medical requirments for eyesight, the website says

Bilateral visual acuity, using corrective lenses if necessary of at least 6.6 (6/7.5 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other eye)
    Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly

I know I can't meet the unaided standerds so I am wondering could contact lenses ne an acceptable alternative? The prison service had stricter slandereds but they would accept contact lenses instead pretty much, any body any better enlightened than me on this issue?

Thanks

Part of the medical is doing an eyesight test unaided incase your glasses are hit off or something gets thrown at your face can you continue with no lenses. It has to be completely unaided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Am I right in thinking that if you pass the PCA you get an envelope with medical forms that your GP needs to sign?
    Do you also get a date for your medical with the form or does that come by email after?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

NiK9 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that if you pass the PCA you get an envelope with medical forms that your GP needs to sign?
    Do you also get a date for your medical with the form or does that come by email after?

Yep, just as you're leaving. Everyone get's PASS/FAIL envelopes and they're told not to open them until they leave the site. However, if your envelope has a 'spine' inside, and it's thicker, you're going to the next stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

So what exactly happens at the medical. Obviously height, weight,eyesight and hearing are tested aswell at talking through past injuries and drugs test.

But what else do you have to do? Basic movement tests such as lunges or squating? Moving body parts in certain ways to see range of movement? Anything out of the ordinary?

• Advertisement

I don't think they do the grope and cough lol

Advertisement