Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Rockshore" - What a terrible name for a beer?

• 13-04-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

"Rockshore" - What a terrible name for a beer? Sounds like a name of beer used for a fictitious business school case study on a new beer brand. Equally, it sounds like a name of a beer from the Simpsons. At worst, it sounds like the name devised by a focus group.

If the name is artificial sounding, I'm also going to assume the product is artificial as well...

Surely they could have thought up a more organic or artisanal sounding name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What's your suggestion for it so?
    I think it's an alright name, I'm not the target market and am unlikely to drink it unless given a free one.
    It does tie in with the ad, west coast, atlantic etc - I mean they're basically targeting it at Budweiser drinkers, so something watery is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Well names, like the "Dungarvan Brewing Company" sounds natural, authentic and real.

"Rockshore" just sounds fake, inauthentic and way too corporate for a so-called "craft beer".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jetsonx wrote: »
    Well names, like the "Dungarvan Brewing Company" sounds natural, authentic and real.

"Rockshore" just sounds fake, inauthentic and way too corporate for a so-called "craft beer".

Seems like that could be said about any brand name that isn't a rare place name or person name?

Dungarvan sounds real... but what about a recently made up name like Glendale?

What about Ballast Point? Anchor? Rockshore *could* be a place... a fairly generic place but that seems apt for what is in reality a generic beer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I tased it a couple of weeks ago. Tasted good irrc.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Yes, but it isn't a craft beer. It is a generic lager made by Diageo. It genuinely is fake, inauthentic and corporate.

It could be the most authentically marketed product by Diageo for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did some market research surveys on this. Told them the name and branding were awful. It stayed the same as the survey.

Know a few people who have moved from Coors to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I had a can last night. It was very cold and tasted fresh and crisp. Just a nice lager. Nothing spesh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a taste and it's even blander than Coors Light. In fairness, always wondered why Diageo didn't make their own light beer instead of letting Coors and their contract brewed, Budweiser, take all that market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

who was calling it a craft beer? The marketing I saw, and the name made it appear to me like that they wanted to distance themselves from craft beers, and to assure mainstream beer drinkers that this was another very lightly flavoured beer, rather than one of those "risky craft beers" that mainstream drinkers usually fear.

The morketing is pushing it more from the angle of 'light tasting' rather than any kind of craft beer coat tails...
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/rockshore-irish-lager-launch-beer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The morketing is pushing it more from the angle of 'light tasting' rather than any kind of craft beer coat tails...
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/rockshore-irish-lager-launch-beer/

Morketing ?

s8n wrote: »
    Morketing ?

Oops... must have been listening to ross ocarroll kelly today... on the dart...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The most ridiculous bit of the marketing is that they tell you its meant to be a taste of the West coast... there are actually beers made close to the West coast, this is mate in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Guinness brew this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tried it last week. Very bland and watery and at €6.40 a pop can't see it taking off. Not Temple Bar either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Collie D wrote: »
    Tried it last week. Very bland and watery and at €6.40 a pop can't see it taking off. Not Temple Bar either.

Jaysus it's not worth that. On my palate it's a teensy notch ahead of Carlsberg and Heineken . I don't like either

Yeah if they want to displace Coors and Budweiser in the 'light' beer section they'll need to get a more competitive on price... Rockshore seems to be more expensive in supermarkets also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It sounds like the name of
    (i) an oil exploration company, or
    (ii)an exclusive housing development in north county Dublin

El Tarangu wrote: »
    It sounds like the name of
    (i) an oil exploration company, or
    (ii)an exclusive housing development in north county Dublin

Put me down on the interested list for (ii), but sounds like it might be hard to get flood insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

so where was this? and what was the price of say a hophouse 13, or heineken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

rubadub wrote: »
    so where was this? and what was the price of say a hophouse 13, or heineken?

TP Smyth's on Jervis Street, Dublin. Had a Clonmel after it for €6

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

irish_goat wrote: »
    Had a taste and it's even blander than Coors Light. In fairness, always wondered why Diageo didn't make their own light beer instead of letting Coors and their contract brewed, Budweiser, take all that market share.

Harp, Steiger, Saatzenbrau, Hophouse 13. All Diageo fare of that ilk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I've seen some strange names in my shop, Dublin Blonde & afaik Nice Pair, :rolleyes:what are the thoughts on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Is it meant to be a competitor to Heineneks H41 which they're trying to sell as a "Wild Lager"? (Absololute nonsense of course).

Not sure which came first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I've seen some strange names in my shop, Dublin Blonde & afaik Nice Pair, :rolleyes:what are the thoughts on that?

Well at least they have a more organic feel (no pun intended) to them than the reassuringly corporate sounding "Rockshore". I mean there is no way a focus group would approve of "Dublin Blonde" and "Nice Pair".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

L1011 wrote: »
    The most ridiculous bit of the marketing is that they tell you its meant to be a taste of the West coast... there are actually beers made close to the West coast, this is mate in Dublin!

The TV ad actually reminded me of West Coast Cooler for some reason!

Lots of happy and hip people. Even the ladies had beards IIRC.

Probably better than lots of unhappy unhip people of course.

Noveight wrote: »
    Is it meant to be a competitor to Heineneks H41 which they're trying to sell as a "Wild Lager"? (Absololute nonsense of course).

Not sure which came first.

No, its targeted against Coors Light; Heineken have also launched a product in that market (Heineken Light) as it looks like Molson are going it alone on it in Ireland. Used to be brewed in Cork but has moved to the Coors facilities in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

Any similarities to the taste of the now discontinued Clonmel lager that was made by Bulmers? I absolutely loved that lager although everyone here didn't lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hibernia93 wrote: »
    Any similarities to the taste of the now discontinued Clonmel lager that was made by Bulmers? I absolutely loved that lager although everyone here didn't lol.

Well then 5 lamp dublin lager could float your boat....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement