Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Rockshore" - What a terrible name for a beer?

• 13-04-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

"Rockshore" - What a terrible name for a beer? Sounds like a name of beer used for a fictitious business school case study on a new beer brand. Equally, it sounds like a name of a beer from the Simpsons. At worst, it sounds like the name devised by a focus group.

If the name is artificial sounding, I'm also going to assume the product is artificial as well...

Surely they could have thought up a more organic or artisanal sounding name?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What's your suggestion for it so?
    I think it's an alright name, I'm not the target market and am unlikely to drink it unless given a free one.
    It does tie in with the ad, west coast, atlantic etc - I mean they're basically targeting it at Budweiser drinkers, so something watery is appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Well names, like the "Dungarvan Brewing Company" sounds natural, authentic and real.

"Rockshore" just sounds fake, inauthentic and way too corporate for a so-called "craft beer".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jetsonx wrote: »
    Well names, like the "Dungarvan Brewing Company" sounds natural, authentic and real.

"Rockshore" just sounds fake, inauthentic and way too corporate for a so-called "craft beer".

Seems like that could be said about any brand name that isn't a rare place name or person name?

Dungarvan sounds real... but what about a recently made up name like Glendale?

What about Ballast Point? Anchor? Rockshore *could* be a place... a fairly generic place but that seems apt for what is in reality a generic beer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I tased it a couple of weeks ago. Tasted good irrc.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Yes, but it isn't a craft beer. It is a generic lager made by Diageo. It genuinely is fake, inauthentic and corporate.

It could be the most authentically marketed product by Diageo for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did some market research surveys on this. Told them the name and branding were awful. It stayed the same as the survey.

Know a few people who have moved from Coors to it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I had a can last night. It was very cold and tasted fresh and crisp. Just a nice lager. Nothing spesh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a taste and it's even blander than Coors Light. In fairness, always wondered why Diageo didn't make their own light beer instead of letting Coors and their contract brewed, Budweiser, take all that market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

who was calling it a craft beer? The marketing I saw, and the name made it appear to me like that they wanted to distance themselves from craft beers, and to assure mainstream beer drinkers that this was another very lightly flavoured beer, rather than one of those "risky craft beers" that mainstream drinkers usually fear.

The morketing is pushing it more from the angle of 'light tasting' rather than any kind of craft beer coat tails...
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/rockshore-irish-lager-launch-beer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The morketing is pushing it more from the angle of 'light tasting' rather than any kind of craft beer coat tails...
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/rockshore-irish-lager-launch-beer/

Morketing ?

s8n wrote: »
    Morketing ?

Oops... must have been listening to ross ocarroll kelly today... on the dart...

The most ridiculous bit of the marketing is that they tell you its meant to be a taste of the West coast... there are actually beers made close to the West coast, this is mate in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Guinness brew this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tried it last week. Very bland and watery and at €6.40 a pop can't see it taking off. Not Temple Bar either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Collie D wrote: »
    Tried it last week. Very bland and watery and at €6.40 a pop can't see it taking off. Not Temple Bar either.

Jaysus it's not worth that. On my palate it's a teensy notch ahead of Carlsberg and Heineken . I don't like either

Yeah if they want to displace Coors and Budweiser in the 'light' beer section they'll need to get a more competitive on price... Rockshore seems to be more expensive in supermarkets also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It sounds like the name of
    (i) an oil exploration company, or
    (ii)an exclusive housing development in north county Dublin

El Tarangu wrote: »

Put me down on the interested list for (ii), but sounds like it might be hard to get flood insurance...

so where was this? and what was the price of say a hophouse 13, or heineken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

rubadub wrote: »
    so where was this? and what was the price of say a hophouse 13, or heineken?

TP Smyth's on Jervis Street, Dublin. Had a Clonmel after it for €6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

irish_goat wrote: »
    Had a taste and it's even blander than Coors Light. In fairness, always wondered why Diageo didn't make their own light beer instead of letting Coors and their contract brewed, Budweiser, take all that market share.

Harp, Steiger, Saatzenbrau, Hophouse 13. All Diageo fare of that ilk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I've seen some strange names in my shop, Dublin Blonde & afaik Nice Pair, :rolleyes:what are the thoughts on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Is it meant to be a competitor to Heineneks H41 which they're trying to sell as a "Wild Lager"? (Absololute nonsense of course).

Not sure which came first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I've seen some strange names in my shop, Dublin Blonde & afaik Nice Pair, :rolleyes:what are the thoughts on that?

Well at least they have a more organic feel (no pun intended) to them than the reassuringly corporate sounding "Rockshore". I mean there is no way a focus group would approve of "Dublin Blonde" and "Nice Pair".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

L1011 wrote: »
    The most ridiculous bit of the marketing is that they tell you its meant to be a taste of the West coast... there are actually beers made close to the West coast, this is mate in Dublin!

The TV ad actually reminded me of West Coast Cooler for some reason!

Lots of happy and hip people. Even the ladies had beards IIRC.

Probably better than lots of unhappy unhip people of course.

Noveight wrote: »
    Is it meant to be a competitor to Heineneks H41 which they're trying to sell as a "Wild Lager"? (Absololute nonsense of course).

Not sure which came first.

No, its targeted against Coors Light; Heineken have also launched a product in that market (Heineken Light) as it looks like Molson are going it alone on it in Ireland. Used to be brewed in Cork but has moved to the Coors facilities in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

Any similarities to the taste of the now discontinued Clonmel lager that was made by Bulmers? I absolutely loved that lager although everyone here didn't lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hibernia93 wrote: »
    Any similarities to the taste of the now discontinued Clonmel lager that was made by Bulmers? I absolutely loved that lager although everyone here didn't lol.

Well then 5 lamp dublin lager could float your boat....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

El Tarangu wrote: »

It sounds like a type of crab.

Who doesn’t love Rockshore Crab? Like seriously. It’s nicer than Lobster.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hibernia93 wrote: »

Clonmel is still very much alive. Although it hasn't been quite the success south of the border as it has in Norn Iron.

Quackster wrote: »
    Clonmel is still very much alive. Although it hasn't been quite the success south of the border as it has in Norn Iron.

Joining Harp and Tennants in the "my god, how do they drink that?!?" stakes in ensuring there'll never be a united Ireland :pac:

C&C also put effort in to pushing Caledonia Smooth here and yet I never saw it on sale anywhere. Not even sure what it was meant to taste like as the old idea of a smooth ale is quite nasty really.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

Quackster wrote: »

Really? The few pubs I seen it in stopped doing anyone in the big smoke concur :D. Loved it beat Heineken IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Terrible name for a terrible beer.

• Advertisement

C&C also put effort in to pushing Caledonia Smooth here and yet I never saw it on sale anywhere. Not even sure what it was meant to taste like as the old idea of a smooth ale is quite nasty really.

Had it in the Yacht, Clontarf once on draught, think it was 'nitro'?

Never again... was between a Smithwicks and a Kilkenny in terms of body, less bitter but with an artificial lingering aftertaste.
    It didn't feel like it was only 3.X% the next morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its a really generic name/concept but they seem to be doing a lot of media work pushing it. At a more expensive price pint than other macro beers in pubs, and 32eur for 24 cans in off licenses, I can't see it taking off however.

New generic macro beers really need to enter the market at a lower price point to get the Budweiser/Coors Light etc crowd to take a punt on them. They're not going to get many people changing over for taste reasons in that segment, so price is their best differentiator option until they build a bit of a following at least.

One clever thing about the name is that they did not add "light" to it. So the poor auld macho men can still drink it without fear of slagging.

Just like pepsi max and the other drinks became "zero" etc to appeal to men who did not want to be buying "wimmins diet drinks".

The price showing on tesco is not the price I saw in my tesco. It was cheaper in tesco. I saw it fo 6 bottles for 7 euro in another shop.

The pricing is an odd one - is the brewers or the pubs that basically ensure Guinness or a Heineken Ireland stout is cheapest at all times?

The stuff which is vastly cheaper in offsales is the same price on tap as other lagers

It'd make the compulsory price list at the door look better too as the cheapest option is the one listed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Strange re the pricing structure. Where I am in the West it's being sold at the same price as Guinness and Smithwicks €4.50 whereas the mainstream lagers are €5.10.
    It is only 4% after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

If it's a "cheap" beer like Tuborg or Foster's they have in pubs it might take off.Least that way it'll sell and have some sort of a flow on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The pricing is an odd one - is the brewers or the pubs that basically ensure Guinness or a Heineken Ireland stout is cheapest at all times?
    The brewers, based on customer sentiment. You can bet the pubs aren't taking a hit on anything.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The brewers, based on customer sentiment. You can bet the pubs aren't taking a hit on anything.

More meant the pub may be selling the 'cheaper' stuff for more then the brewer originally wanted. 10c difference across the range of lager is normal

Normal in the UK to have a cheap macro lager for half nothing on the taps (in a free house of course)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Normal in the UK to have a cheap macro lager for half nothing on the taps
    With Guinness as a more expensive speciality beer. Consumer sentiment again: the market has just evolved that way; it has nothing to do with the cost of production or margins being twiddled. It's what people expect beer to cost, which is the main factor determining the price of every beer everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Makes me think of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuSgZIpgmTA
    0.37 to be specific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Tried rockshore this evening. I have to say it very nice. Bit expensive so I'll probably buy whilst on specials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

The name invokes the taste of seawater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Rockshore will not succeed. Guinness have toned down their connection.
    A lot of beer drinkers want to support the smallbrewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Another Harp relaunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Another Harp relaunch.

Harp changed their recipe about 11 years ago and is grand since then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement