Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

In 1892 an entry appears in the births at Irish Genealogy for a daughter Paulina born to Patrick Dowdall and Consolata Aquilina [from Malta] but this entry doesn't appear in the Family Search indexes.
    450171.png

The following year a similar entry entry appears in the births at Irish Genealogy but it's crossed out and Cancelled a Vaccination appears in the right hand column.
    450167.png

I haven't found an amended record and I'm not aware of another child that this second record could refer to.
    Perhaps the second record is nothing more than a clerical error but what about the reference to a cancelled vaccination?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

The birth entry is cancelled as it was an error. Entry should have gone into a Register of Vaccinations?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Could I get an opinion on the male sponsor for Martin Mahony, top right on this page please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Could I get an opinion on the male sponsor for Martin Mahony, top right on this page please?

Jas. Hanrahan?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

mmm unsure of the first name? Jay?? Hanrahan, Honora McMahon

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's the first name I'm unsure of.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

It's Jas [for James]; look at how he writes the s in Thos Hanrahan further down the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Me too, James Hanahan and Honora McMahon. Honora is a lovely name you never hear anymore. Young people wouldn't be happy with it now though.

Great: that is what I suspected.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

zdqKn6s.png

Any ideas about her address and if the occupation is meant to be "house keeper"?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

oceanclub wrote: »
    zdqKn6s.png

Any ideas about her address and if the occupation is meant to be "house keeper"?

P.

Workhouse, Dublin Union. (by 1930North and South Dublin Unions had been amalgamated)

House keeper is correct.

Sorry,that was placeof death, 3 1/2 Hammond Lane was home address.

tabbey wrote: »
    Workhouse, Dublin Union. (by 1930North and South Dublin Unions had been amalgamated)

House keeper is correct.

Sorry when I say address I mean the value in the second column - "3 1/2 ???? Lane"?

Sorry when I say address I mean the value in the second column - "3 1/2 ???? Lane"?

Hammond Lane.

Christina had bronchitis, not surprising, living in Hammond Lane, with the foundry on one sideand the match factory on the other, the air was far from healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Hi

Could anyone help me with this please from James' St Church, Dublin. Im trying to decypher the latin in the Denuntiationes column and in the last column. We know that that Thomas was born in England perhaps Church of England so he may have converted to RC to marry Margaret and perhaps thats where the dispensation came from.

Thomas%20and%20Margaret%20marriage.jpg?dl=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Something about Limerick in Latin? A dispensation from the bishop there?

In English at the end it says what looks like:
    Certificate given to woman by (Rev?) John Mulqueen, administrator of St. Michael's Limerick

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could they have been first cousins, perhaps?

New Home wrote: »
    Could they have been first cousins, perhaps?

No.

Column a, clearly states nullum (no) impediments.

The dispensation must be something else.

Another mystery is why dispensation was granted by Dr McCabe in 1872 , he did not become Archbishop until 1877.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I thought the dispensation automatically removed any impediments.

Hu1UH9b.png

Wedding in Ferns - can anyone make out the witnesses and what look like addresses?

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=ire%2fprs%2fmicrofilm04254-08%2f0016&parentid=ire%2fprs%2fmar%2f0918596%2f2

P.

• Advertisement

Witnesses - Mathew and Betty Canning?

Genealogy Forum Mod

tabbey wrote: »
    No.

Column a, clearly states nullum (no) impediments.

The dispensation must be something else.

Another mystery is why dispensation was granted by Dr McCabe in 1872 , he did not become Archbishop until 1877.

Griffinx - is there a better quality image of dispensation column? It may just say that the dispensation was received from the Administrator of Limerick. It might be a dispensation from banns.

1879 for McCabe. I don't think the entry says he was Archbishop. He could have held title of Doctor of Divinity prior to becoming Archbishop.

Hu1UH9b.png

Wedding in Ferns - can anyone make out the witnesses and what look like addresses?

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=ire%2fprs%2fmicrofilm04254-08%2f0016&parentid=ire%2fprs%2fmar%2f0918596%2f2

P.

Matthew Fanning and Betty Conway?

Vetch wrote: »
    Griffinx - is there a better quality image of dispensation column?

Here's a link to the record - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633565#page/28/mode/1up

And a close up of the relevant bit...
    450638.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Here's a link to the record - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633565#page/28/mode/1up

And a close up of the relevant bit...
    450638.png

The Latin for 'authority' is 'auctoritatis'. Looks to me to be a form of that word so Dispensation from Limerick authorities and Dr McCabe VG (Vicar General) Dublin or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Vetch wrote: »
    The Latin for 'authority' is 'auctoritatis'. Looks to me to be a form of that word so Dispensation from Limerick authorities and Dr McCabe VG (Vicar General) Dublin or something to that effect.

Agreed. Most of it is done above – my take is that is the (necessary) dispensation for the bride to marry outside her ‘home’ parish. It’s the dispensation from the Limerick authorities signed by McCabe who is the VG – Vicar General. That means he is the deputy of the Bishop in a diocese –and has the same canon law powers as the bishop.

Looking for help on the address here, ideally from someone who perhaps knows the area. Glorhea, Gloshen?
    It's one of the 'missing' certs so can't point to a copy online, sorry.
    It's in the Donaghmore/Rathdowney area of Laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Agreed. Most of it is done above – my take is that is the (necessary) dispensation for the bride to marry outside her ‘home’ parish. It’s the dispensation from the Limerick authorities signed by McCabe who is the VG – Vicar General. That means he is the deputy of the Bishop in a diocese –and has the same canon law powers as the bishop.

McCabe was the VG in Dublin. There appears to be two dispensations here, one by the Limerick authorities and one by McCabe. In the enlarged bit of the entry that Hermy posted there is a little ampersand in the middle of the text.

• Advertisement

Vqhj0Ky.png

From 9 Sep 1889: https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633503#page/45/mode/1up

Anyone know that the Latin bit is? Is it a first marriage (to a Thomas Chandler) while the English part refers to a second marriage to a James Larkin?

P

Advertisement