Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hey, Piperman, have I asked you about running the Valencia marathon already? November 19th. Grand city, pancake flat, well organised, good support............

(Should probably check back a page or two but too lazy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

jeez P - he's only just rejoined Boards - this sort of pestering will make him go away again :)

BTW Nice run A - impressive endurance already.

Have to get him early while he's still fresh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

pconn062 wrote: »
    That's a great run off a few weeks training A, the ability is still there. You might consider sticking the 5th of November in your diary for the senior XC, need all the help we can get. You can only run better than you did last year! :)

Yeah, I'll be there I'm sure. Might even give the inters a go this weekend. Going to start a bit of speed work in the next few days. Catch you soon

Itziger wrote: »
    Hey, Piperman, have I asked you about running the Valencia marathon already? November 19th. Grand city, pancake flat, well organised, good support............

(Should probably check back a page or two but too lazy)

Financially, it wouldn't be a goer at the moment. Monaghan was the sole marathon for the year, I'll check out Valencia for next year, looking at Manchester possibly for the spring.

Wednesday 4th October: 4.1 miles in 32:10 (7:50)

I took a couple of days off after the marathon, and ran off some of the stiffness in the hamstrings. Felt much better after this.

Friday 6th: 5x400m session of sorts

I was feeling pretty good by Friday morning, and decided to start focusing on getting a bit of speed back.
    Simple enough session around my usual 4 mile loop. 1/2 mile warmup, then 1/4 mile fast, 1/4 mile recovery. I was aiming for a modest 90 seconds per interval, ended up doing them in 87, 87, 82, 87, 83.

I was pretty tired after that. Back in the day, I would've been doing double the reps and double the distance, but got to start somewhere.

8th October: Louth Inter X-Country: 8k in 33:10 (6:42)

Decided a couple of days ago I'd give this a go, knowing full well that I'd be way off the pace. Anyway, rocked up to the start of a race on time, which amused a couple of the lads no end. We'd a nice little group, but today was an extra special day, as my daughter was making her club debut.

Men's race got off at 11:30. I took up a position near the back, and off we went. Pconn062 gave me some dogs abuse after half a mile, reminding me that this was only one fifth of a marathon, and that I'd no business hanging around at the back of the field. I responded by running far too fast for a while, clocking the first mile in 6:12. After the second mile (6:42), I figured I was close to flootered, and was slowing down. I was in no group of any description, but pconn062 was giving me good encouragement, so I kept working away. Mile 3 was slow, (6:54), and when 2 out of a group of 3 lads passed me out, and the third buck drew up alongside me, I made that my target. Managed to increase the pace slightly on the 4th lap, and kept it going on the 5th to finish firmly in the midfield. I enjoyed my return to racing. I'll have much better days than this, but I'm happy enough with where I am, considering how unfit I was in August.

My daughter lined up for her first proper competitive race in the U9, looking pretty nervous and timid.. She went out like a bullet, and settled into the race very well. She kept pace with the leading group the whole way and finished in a fantastic 6th place. Running a year out of her age group and having only started with the club 4-5 weeks ago, it was amazing. The future is very bright.

Dogs abuse is a bit strong, you make me sound like a tyrant. :pac:

A successful day in the TPP household, well done.

Monday 9th October: 4.1 miles in 30:50 (7:32)

Not much issues after the cross country on Sunday, just nice easy running.

Tuesday 10th October: 4.1 miles in 30:00 (7:21)

I suppose this could be labelled a tempo run! 1 mile easyish, then 2 miles about 6:50, and a cool down.

A lot of issues in the last week meant no running, seems like a lifetime since last Friday. Getting normal life back into gear this past couple of days, so back on the road.

Wednesday 17th October: 7.5 miles in 57:25 (7:39)

Still quite windy and fairly cold yesterday morning, but felt great to be out and about. Legs were on the sore side after too many long nights with little or no sleep over the weekend. I'll chance something a bit faster tomorrow morning, and maybe a 'long run ' at the weekend.

Can't decide whether or not to run DCM

• Advertisement

Thursday 19th October: 7x400m

Half mile warmup, then aiming for 85 seconds per 1/4 mile. First couple very easy on the downhill, then working a bit harder for the middle couple before having to completely empty the tank for the last two. I'm not sure how accurate the elevation grade on the watch is, but on the steepest section, it was showing a 22% gradient. Nasty.
    Splits as follows: 85, 85, 86, 84, 89, 98, 89.

Saturday 21st October: 7.5 miles in 55 (7:19)

Very enjoyable run this, a real run of two halves. Down the hills to Sandpit, with the wind at my back, first 3 miles in under 21 minutes. Very hard work on the way back, strong winds making the hills even tougher. I was aiming to keep each mile under 7:50. Nice run.

I think I've more or less decided to run DCM next weekend. Monaghan was always a bit early to run hard, so it took very little out of me. I've not done any long run since then, but fitness is continually improving I feel, so why not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

You have no real long runs done ? And you wnat to run DCM??! Madness I would say. Am in the same boat and wont do it...too much fear of blowing up and having to can it at 15/16
    The thing is though as you have a decent background and are well experienced, so you would get around it fine I reckon given reasonable pacing, what would that be? Would you have a sub three in you ?

youngrun wrote: »
    You have no real long runs done ? And you wnat to run DCM??! Madness I would say. Am in the same boat and wont do it...too much fear of blowing up and having to can it at 15/16
    The thing is though as you have a decent background and are well experienced, so you would get around it fine I reckon given reasonable pacing, what would that be? Would you have a sub three in you ?

He's not THAT good! I was going to ask him what he's aiming for in DCM. He did a recent marathon so he's ok for distance.

3.20?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Itziger wrote: »
    He's not THAT good! I was going to ask him what he's aiming for in DCM. He did a recent marathon so he's ok for distance.

3.20?

Oh ok I didnt read it back the log . Definitely close to 3 hours if theres a marathon done recently ! :D

If I get to the start line, I'll probably aim for about 3:20. Distance no issue. I ran 3:27 a few weeks ago, and Dublin course should be faster.

Monday 23rd October; 4 miles in 31:20 (7:50)
    It was more or less dark Monday morning until after 7:30, clocks going back will be a blessing. Used a little head torch a kid in school gave me.

Thursday 26th: 4 miles in 29:20 (7:19)

Myself and the young fella had a half an hour to kill in Dunleer on Thursday, so did a few miles on the track. I'd say he did about 3 miles, not bad for a 6 year old, who is definitely more fast than slow twitch.

Busy few days at school, but feeling pretty good and looking forward to tomorrow. I'm enjoying approaching races with more modest expectations than a couple of years back, running for pure enjoyment. That said, I'm already looking ahead to future races and embarking on attacks on faster times. Tomorrow, anything in the 3:20-3:30 range will do just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

All the best Tomorrow man! Have a good one!

3:16:08. Better than I expected. Put the hammer down after 15 miles and ended with a 3 minute negative split. Unintentional sandbagging. Really enjoyed the day.

Dublin Marathon Race Report

I might as well write a few thoughts when it's fresh.
    I only really got the motivation to start properly running again in August, on the back of a few fantastic days at the World Championships in London. The first running week, I was averaging 8:25-30 per mile and feeling it, even at that pace. I knew I wanted to do a marathon by the year end, and checked availability for races. Dublin was booked out, and other options were expensive trips abroad or Clonakilty. Monaghan at the start of October seemed to be early, but the fitness came back reasonably quickly, so I managed it alright. So, that was the end of that. 2018 spring marathon booked, and looking at cross country for the winter. Until last Sunday, a message from a friend that a number was there for me if I wanted. The decision was made by Tuesday, and off I went for my 5th DCM, and first since 2011.

I've a wonderful habit of turning up just in time for races, I occasionally late, and today was no different. Driving through Drogheda at 8, I knew I was cutting it tight. Anyway, parked the car somewhere near Holles St, and walked/jogged off, finding my way into Wave 1 at 8:52. Plenty of time.

The first couple of miles were very slow, couldn't get any clear road, and it took until North Circular until I caught 3:30 group and cleared them. Despite the breeze on Chesterfield Avenue, I was moving freely and enjoying the bit of clear road in front. I chatted to a few lads from Blayney Rockets for a while, and generally enjoyed moving from group to group, getting a bit of protection from the breeze at the same time. Took a quick pitstop before heading back into the park at Mile 8, and kept the effort easy.

Dublin has never been a marathon I love, mostly because the few hills and conditions have transpired against me a few times. The first of these 'tough sections ' was approaching, the steep drag up to Rialto. I took it very handy there and thought how this was quite the novelty for me, feeling good in the Dublin marathon. I kept effort easy as I prepared for a hurricane of a head wind in Crumlin. However, that didn't happen either. Wonders will never cease! Halfway in 1:39:xx. Right on target for a pop at 3:20, and feeling fresh.

For another mile or so, I kept it easy, there was still the enormity of Clonskeagh and Fosters Avenue to come after all. Decided about 15 when I saw the 3:20 balloons ahead to lay into the race a bit, so off I went. Caught 3:20 group in Dartry Rd, and motored on. My cousins gave me a shout in Milltown, I was ready for Clonskeagh mountain.

The mountainous terrain seemed to not bother me as much this year, and I was now getting into the buzz of chasing down people. Worked pretty well all along these miles until past UCD, running my fastest pace of the race. Breeze into my face and a lack of anyone moving at speed meant I dropped back slightly on the last 2 miles. I instead turned my attention to the crowd and went all cheerleader for the last mile, lapping it up, loving every step. I crossed the line in laughter in 3:16:08.

That's about halfway between my fastest and slowest marathons, However, it represents the most enjoyable and fun race I've ever had in the DCM. I'm looking forward to running over the winter, maybe even making some inroads on getting the times back down below 3. And, shock horror, it turns out that the Dublin marathon is actually a brilliant event, on a very fair course. I'm proud of myself, and proud to have been a part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I might as well write a few thoughts when it's fresh.
    I only really got the motivation to start properly running again in August, on the back of a few fantastic days at the World Championships in London. The first running week, I was averaging 8:25-30 per mile and feeling it, even at that pace. I knew I wanted to do a marathon by the year end, and checked availability for races. Dublin was booked out, and other options were expensive trips abroad or Clonakilty. Monaghan at the start of October seemed to be early, but the fitness came back reasonably quickly, so I managed it alright. So, that was the end of that. 2018 spring marathon booked, and looking at cross country for the winter. Until last Sunday, a message from a friend that a number was there for me if I wanted. The decision was made by Tuesday, and off I went for my 5th DCM, and first since 2011.

I've a wonderful habit of turning up just in time for races, I occasionally late, and today was no different. Driving through Drogheda at 8, I knew I was cutting it tight. Anyway, parked the car somewhere near Holles St, and walked/jogged off, finding my way into Wave 1 at 8:52. Plenty of time.

The first couple of miles were very slow, couldn't get any clear road, and it took until North Circular until I caught 3:30 group and cleared them. Despite the breeze on Chesterfield Avenue, I was moving freely and enjoying the bit of clear road in front. I chatted to a few lads from Blayney Rockets for a while, and generally enjoyed moving from group to group, getting a bit of protection from the breeze at the same time. Took a quick pitstop before heading back into the park at Mile 8, and kept the effort easy.

Dublin has never been a marathon I love, mostly because the few hills and conditions have transpired against me a few times. The first of these 'tough sections ' was approaching, the steep drag up to Rialto. I took it very handy there and thought how this was quite the novelty for me, feeling good in the Dublin marathon. I kept effort easy as I prepared for a hurricane of a head wind in Crumlin. However, that didn't happen either. Wonders will never cease! Halfway in 1:39:xx. Right on target for a pop at 3:20, and feeling fresh.

For another mile or so, I kept it easy, there was still the enormity of Clonskeagh and Fosters Avenue to come after all. Decided about 15 when I saw the 3:20 balloons ahead to lay into the race a bit, so off I went. Caught 3:20 group in Dartry Rd, and motored on. My cousins gave me a shout in Milltown, I was ready for Clonskeagh mountain.

The mountainous terrain seemed to not bother me as much this year, and I was now getting into the buzz of chasing down people. Worked pretty well all along these miles until past UCD, running my fastest pace of the race. Breeze into my face and a lack of anyone moving at speed meant I dropped back slightly on the last 2 miles. I instead turned my attention to the crowd and went all cheerleader for the last mile, lapping it up, loving every step. I crossed the line in laughter in 3:16:08.

That's about halfway between my fastest and slowest marathons, However, it represents the most enjoyable and fun race I've ever had in the DCM. I'm looking forward to running over the winter, maybe even making some inroads on getting the times back down below 3. And, shock horror, it turns out that the Dublin marathon is actually a brilliant event, on a very fair course. I'm proud of myself, and proud to have been a part of it.
    Great you enjoyed it man,ur coming back into form,I think u paced me,to my first sub 3 a few years ago in Limerick,good to see your back logging again.

Well done A, great run and great to see the fitness coming back so quick. See you next weekend for the big one.

• Advertisement

Super running after just 3 months back. Sub 3 for sure next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

You're an animal:pac:. Savage progress back already man, well done.

Monday 30th October: 1.4 miles in 10:47 (7:43)

I'd a couple of pints in the local Sunday night, jogged down the hill to pick up the car on Monday morning. Legs fairly sore.

Wednesday 1st November: 4.3 miles 31:50 including 12x200m

Training for the kids at the track in Drogheda. So, in my infinite wisdom, jumped into a session with the lads. To be fair, I think this was just a gentle one for them with eyes on the senior cross country on Sunday. I was thinking I'd manage about 5 of these, pace was about 40 seconds, fairly tired at the end, but great to be back on track with the group.

Louth Senior Cross Country race report

I'm never particularly fresh for the county cross country races, coming off a marathon probably not perfect preparation, but it is what it is. Last year, I was embarrassingly slow at our senior race, getting lapped by lads I'd have been fighting for position for in the past. The intermediate race a few weeks back, I felt similarly out of position, well behind people I should have been up with. So today, I was determined to run smart, hard and get back amongst the midfield.

Bitterly cold standing around at the start, but I enormously enjoyed the juvenile races. These events are becoming much more enjoyable from a family viewpoint with the kids being involved now.

Anyway, got organised for the 10k senior race. Course not challenging and the ground was pretty good, but I was determined to not go out too hard, knowing that I simply am not where I was a couple of years back. Settled quickly into a group with 3 of my teammates and a couple of other runners. I felt fairly comfortable that this was the right group for me for the distance. I took a turn at the front on the windy back stretch, but didn't go too mad. First mile in 6:19. I then let a couple of people in the group pass me out and tucked in behind them on the windy section of the second lap. Second mile 6:19.

Around this point, any runners not from our club were falling out of our little group, so just the four of us left. Stayed like that for a while, 6:24 and 6:30. One of the lads in our group moved away from us at the front, and managed to bridge a gap, with another of our runners dropping back behind me. We were effectively split then, with my friend and clubmate about 10m ahead of me. Mile 5 was 6:38, but I was feeling relatively ok.

On the last mile, I knew I'd kept a bit in reserve and felt ready and able to empty the tank. Halfway around the lap, I passed my friend, and thought about chasing down a couple of runners in front as well. As i eased up and past them, I realised I must have been lapping them. Still, mile 6 in 6:23, still a bit to go. Nobody to chase down and I didn't think anyone from behind. Running hard (for me) for the finish line, some fast finishing guy from another club came out of nowhere and powered past me. I don't have that in my repertoire, but I was very happy with my time of 40:08 and position, whatever it was. Our club took the county title back for the first time in a while. Great day out, and very pleased to start mixing it up a bit more in races. Lots to be done, but I'm heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I instead turned my attention to the crowd and went all cheerleader for the last mile, lapping it up, loving every step. I crossed the line in laughter in 3:16:08.

And you probably passed me in my solace in the process. B'stard.

:D

And you probably passed me in my solace in the process. B'stard.

:D

You might have punched me with my showboating and enthusiasm. Im surprised someone didn't

Mon 6 November: 4 miles in 30 (7:31 avg)
    Steady run, bitter cold morning.

Tuesday 7 November: 4.1 miles in 29:30 (7:14)

2 miles in the middle at 6:47 and 6:50. I'm going to do a few miles each week at this pace, get the body comfortable with that again. This felt fine, so I'll look to increase this over the next few weeks.

Tuesday 9th November: 7 miles in 51:37 (7:22)
    I was down in Dunleer with an hour on my hands. Headed out towards Philipstown and Dromin in falling darkness. This brought back memories of training with Team Carrie back in 2010 and 2011. Enjoyable run.

Monday 13th November: 5.8 miles in 42:55 (7:24)

I'd a few things on over the weekend and a bit of a head cold so took it easy for a few days. Back out nice and early Monday with a run at steady pace.

Tuesday 14th 5.8 miles in 42:xx including 5x400m in 85ish pace and 1xmile at 6:17

A bit of a makeshift session, weather was mild, not too cold. I was aiming for 85 for the 1/4 miles, did rep2 too fast in 80, but on the money for the rest. The mile at 6:17 was enjoyable, I'm generally more comfortable running at that sort of pace, I'd hope that would be tempo pace in the next couple of months.

Enjoyed a sleepin until 7:30 this morning, no running. I'd hope to fit in a long run sometime over the weekend.

Thursday 16th November: 5.8 miles in 41:50 (7:13)

Nice morning for running, cold, but dry. Looking to do a few miles at PMP every week so after a nice easy first mile, did 3 faster miles, 6:49, 6:48 and 6:41. Worked hard on the hills on the way back.

Sunday 19th: 16 miles in 1:55 (7:13)

Cold Sunday morning, perfect for a long run. Heading off into Drogheda, I'd not decided what way I'd do this run, but by the time I was down on the quays, 6 miles in, I was feeling great, so decided this would be the first long run with PMP miles. I'd set on doing 4, out through Baltray and onto Termonfeckin. Went by nicely. More or less decided on just running home easy, but realised I was still moving along nicely, so tagged on a 5th PMP mile. Delighted that this went so well. Splits for the faster miles: 6:51, 6:48, 6:48, 6:38, 6:47.

It might be difficult to get a long run next weekend and the following, I'll be making my Masters debut. Happy with where I am, progress week on week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck with the Masters debut kid.

I can say that as I'm about 9 years older :) I've only run Dubin & Leinster Masters :)

• Advertisement

Woops, fell off the boards wagon there for a couple of weeks!

Tuesday 21 November: 5.9 miles in 41 (7:01)
    3 miles at PMP

THurs 23 Nov: 4 miles at 7:11 avg pace
    2 miles PMP

Tuesday 28 Nov: 5.85 miles in 40:50 (7:00)
    Mrs was gone for a few days, so no running. Nice to get back out. 3 fastish miles, one at 6:15.

Thursday 29: 5.5 miles at 7:22 pace
    I think this was on back roads around Dunleer when the oldest was at gymnastics. Nothing interesting, apart from nearly getting mowed down by a careless driver. High viz and head torch you'd think would be sufficient!!

Sunday 3rd December: LOUTH MASTERS cross country 5k in 20:56 (6:31)

Wet, muddy, cowdung, flooded field. Real cross country for my first race as an old man. Enjoyed every bit of it. Ground was very heavy, but I held my own reasonably well. Mile splits were 6:15, 6:37, 6:49, 1:15 (5:55). I struggle to get my head around how this can be the optimal pacing for any type of race, but I made about 5-8 places and lost none, so a case of slowing down better than those around me. I forgot my placing, 5th place in 35-40 age group I think, but not bothered. This was just a bit of craic.

Monday 4th December: 4.1 miles in 30:45 (7:31)

Nothing interesting about this, running around in the dark early in the morning. Nice start to the day.. Our roads are pretty deadly when it's freezing, so I've eased back on early morning running. Hopefully temperatures stay above 0 most days, by far the best time for running, weather permitting.

I'm making a bit of a habit of this falling off the wagon.. Anyway, I'll update

Wednesday 6th December: 5.9 miles in 42:15 (7:09)
    Quick dart around the block. 3 miles at PMP.

Wednesday 14th December: 7 miles in 48:57 (6:59)

The wife was away for the best part of a week, so no opportunity to go running. Nice to get back out, on the track in Dunleer for this. Started slowly, but picked up nicely with the last 3 miles in 6:44, 6:22 and 6:16.

Sunday 17th December : 10 miles in 68:15 (6:49)

One of my favourite routes up home in Monaghan. A lovely loop out towards the mountains on the border at Knockatallon, with an opportunity for fast running on the way back to Scotstown. Good hard running the whole way, last few miles at 6:25-35 pace.

Sat 23rd December am: 3.25 miles in 26:55 (8:18)
    Run along the promenade in Puerto del Carmen with the wife. Beautiful weather, nice sea breeze.
    Pm: 5.35 miles in 37 (6:55)
    Returned rental car to the airport in Arrecife, and ran hard back to Peurto. Hard to find the way around the runway and military base at airport, but good after that.

Sun 24 December: 5k in 25:41 (8:17) and 1 mile in 10:31.
    5k with Mrs TPP and 1 mile with the young buck.

Monday 25th December; 6 miles in 41:04 (6:50)
    Handicap run with my brother in law, we ran the first 2.5 together, then he turned and I went on, turning back at 3.0. Picked it up well, running 7:00, 6:07, 6:31 and 6:54, but couldn't quite make up the mile handicap. Good fun, before firing up the barbecue and tearing into a few beers.
    Pm: 5k in 25:10 (8:07)
    Lovely evening time run along the beach. Fantastic way to spend Christmas Day.

Tuesday 26th: 2.5 miles in 21:45 (8:43)
    Took in a fair few hills down around the old town with the wife.

Wednesday 27th: 6 miles in 43:55 (7:19)
    Another run out to the airport to pick up a rental car, strong wind into my face slowed me down, and legs were a bit shot from pedal boating in the morning. However, a good last run on Lanzarote. Fantastic holiday, temperatures in the low 20s every day. Slightly depressing weather to come home to.

Hope to get out for a run tomorrow to see out the year.

Monday 1st January: 8 miles in 1:01 (7:39)

We were down west for the week, this was a lovely run in forest trails near the Galway Wind farm. The surface through the wind farm is a bit stoney, but the trails across the other side are fantastic, lovely views. It got very slippery underfoot on one of the steepest sections, deep into the forest, and I got slightly concerned about my welfare should I have slipped and broken a leg. Must be onset of middle age coming on.

Friday 5th January: 4.3 miles in 29:10 (6:47)

Nice loop around Quin, skirting the Dromoland castle estate and Quin village. Pushed the pace on a bit.

Sunday 7th Jan: 13.3 miles in 1:36 (7:17)

First longer run in a good while, I'd intended on a having a longer run done in late December, but anyway, all the traveling and bad weather wasn't helpful.

Fairly cold and breezy when I went out yesterday afternoon. Headed downhill towards Sandpit, before swinging left towards Walshestown and then rejoining my normal 10 mile route. Picked up the pace heading over the Gallstown Rd and onto Tinure, with 5 miles at PMP. Wrecked for the last two miles, with the cold really getting into me. Took me a good half hour to warm up afterwards. Nice to get out and get a longish run done before going back to school.

Wednesday 10 Jan: 4.1 miles in 28:10 (6:52)
    Quickish run around the block.

Thursday 11 Jan: 4.05 miles in 26:15 (6:30)
    I was up in Monaghan that evening, this run was at the track in Scotstown. Very cold, about-2 and with a heavy fog. Ran at a good clip, 6:40, 6:31, 6:18, 6:27.

Fri 12: 4 miles at 7:40 pace

Early morning run in the dark on icy roads.

Not much running for a while after that, Mrs TPP was away for a few days and weather very poor.

Thursday 18 Jan: 7 miles in 46:14 (6:36)

On the track in Dunleer, temperatures around zero, but no ice, wind or fog. I kept cranking up the pace as I went along on this run, enjoyed it.
    7:16, 6:46, 6:34, 6:26, 6:27, 6:23, 6:21

I could be doing with more training in general and certainly a few long runs. However, between the weather, keeping healthy, couple of the kids out of sorts, it's been a poor couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll get going this week.

Sun 21 Jan: 19ish miles in 2:2x (7:3x pace)

Watch battery died with 11 miles run and I think there was about another 8. Decent long run. We were down in Blackrock, beside Dundalk, the two older kids were running races. Young fella won his 100m U7 race and our oldest girl came 2nd in the U9 500m race. Football field was like a swamp, great running from the two of them.

Changed socks and runners and hit the road, running up the old N1 as far as Dunleer. Took a detour up to Dromin, and home via Rathesker. Speed was good on the main road, but the wind got challenging in the hillier sections around Dromin and Tinure. Good to get that long run under my belt

Send a message if you ever want company on a long run, the lads usually do a long run every Sunday morning. P. Fitz did 17 yesterday at 7.1X pace, would suit you.

Tuesday 23rd Jan: 4.1 miles in 29:10 (4.1)

Evening time run after dark. I have been running wearing my glasses and a head torch when it's dark lately. Honestly, can't for the life of me figure out what I was doing years ago running blind in the dark..

Thursday 25 Jan: 9 miles in 58:50 (6:30)

Good run around the track in Dunleer. Windy and cold but very enjoyable. I'd an hour for it, so moved fastish from the get go, picking it up for the last couple of miles.
    7:04, 6:32, 6:28, 6:32, 6:31, 6:23, 6:27, 6:23, 6:16.
    Happy with that effort. Pace is coming back, and whilst I was working a bit on the last two miles, I could keep it going. By far my best tempo session in at least a couple of years. Now, I'll have to get a long run in with focus on PMP.

Sat 27 Jan: 4.1 miles in 30:25 (7:25)

Easy paced run around the block just to get out.

Sun 28 Jan: 19 miles in about 2:20 (7:2x avg pace I'd say) with 10 miles PMP

Watch battery gave up after 16.5 miles, hence the estimated pace.

Windy afternoon for running, and with my eye on running a good chunk at PMP, chose the route accordingly, knowing the last 5 miles up the hill from Termonfeckin would be rough.

Did the first four miles as easily as I could, feeling my way into a new pair of runners, Mizuno Catalyst. Feel like a very similar shoe to the Elixir, maybe slightly stiffer, and a little less grip, but felt good.

After four miles, I dropped the pace down to PMP, hoping to do about 8 miles. Cross winds in the exposed areas, but wind at my back mostly. Out the Boyne Estuary, I expected to have strong winds pushing me along, but instead, it was still and calm, even a little muggy surprisingly. Moved along pretty well. Past Baltray, I had 8 miles done at PMP, decided I'd push on, do another couple. Heading out of the village, the full force of the wind came straight at me, but I was intent on keeping the hammer down. Pleased to get 10 miles done at sub3 pace.
    Absolutely struggle running uphill into the wind for the last 5 miles, watch battery died at 16.5 with avg pace at 7:10.
    PMP section: 6:50, 6:53, 6:52, 6:49, 6:46, 6:47, 6:49, 6:46, 6:49 6:48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

HI TPP, good to see you getting back again, I'm trying to do the same myself & have Chicago to look forward to. We were both going for similiar goals back in 2013. any tips on Chicago, where to eat, the marathon itself, you might PM me.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 30th Jan: 5.5 miles in 37:20 (6:47)
    I went to the kids training at the track this week instead of Mrs TPP, took the opportunity to get a bit done. I'd no plan so just ran along with a friend for a couple of miles at the pace he wanted, then upped it a touch.
    7:11, 6:53, 6:34, 6:52, 6:24, 6:45(pace)

Thursday 1st Feb: Yasso 800 session at 2:58 goal time

Felt slightly heavy legged but I'd been planning to do this session for a couple of weeks now. The young buck came along with me, so the company was good when he was doing his sprints.

After 3-4 of these, I was seriously doubtful if I'd manage the 10, but I managed to struggle on through the last few. Good confidence builder. I thought I'd the watch set for 1:45 between the reps, but discovered it was 1:30, which was just about ok.
    Splits for the 800s
    2:59, 2:58, 2:57, 2:56, 2:58, 2:57, 2:56, 2:57, 2:58, 2:57

Saturday 3rd Feb: 10 miles in 72 (7:12)

After a couple of weekends of long hard runs and this weeks yasso session, I’d a medium length run today as a step back week. Wind was bitterly cold, and I considered cutting this one short when it started raining on top of it, but glad I did the 10 miles instead of 7. Legs felt fairly heavy, especially when running uphill into the wind, but pace decent.

In other news, my garmin 405 might finally need to be put out to stud. It’s died on a few runs lately, and might only stay alive for about 2.5 hours off a full charge, that won’t do. To be fair, I’ve had it 7 years, it’s logged 9,000 odd miles and gotten two stays of execution. Amazon.co.uk are doing the 230 for £165 which seems good. Can’t justify the big bucks for the 630, don’t think I’d use half of the functionality. 230 seems to be well received.

Monday 5th Feb: 4.1 miles in 29:40 (7:14)
    Cold, windy and icy road conditions aren’t making for much running in the early mornings, but this one was ok, few icy spots, but not overly dangerous.

Thursday 8th Feb: 10.13 miles in 1:07 (6:37)
    At the track, had it all to myself this week, nice conditions. Ran 6:27 average pace for 9 miles, then did a bit of a cool down.

Sat 10th Feb: 17 miles in 2:05 (7:25)

Legs were very stiff and heavy heading out this morning, wasn’t really sure if I was up for this length of a run, but I’d a couple of messages to run in Collon and Dunleer, so got on with it. Weather was completely dry, which I wasn’t expecting, so ended up fairly enjoying this run, and pace felt comfortable.

Tuesday 13th Feb: 4.1 miles in 28:58 (7:04)
    Very cold and windy weather for running, a few iffy spots of ice/snow on higher ground. Legs felt pretty achy after this run.

Thursday 15th Feb: 4 miles in 29:23 (7:21)

Left shin just plain sore for a couple of days, I’m not sure what it is. There’s a lot of variables; new runners, cold weather, running about 1km most days on the school yard with my class wearing shoes, but there’s quite a bit of discomfort down my shin. Hopefully not shin splints or anything that’ll mean a break from training, I’ll have to monitor it over the next few days. I might skip on any more running for the rest of the week and hope for a quick recovery.

Thursday 22nd February:4.1 miles in 31 minutes

Tester to see if the pain was gone, I was fine for about a mile, but pain was fairly acute after a while. Not happy, proper break required.

Wednesday 7 March: 4.1 miles in 30:10 (7:22)

Out yesterday, no pain, very happy.

Thursday 8 March 4.5 miles in 33:15 (7:23)

Fitness slipped back a fair bit, but pain in shin gone. I’ll go easy for a while. Any chance of sub3 in Manchester gone, but that’s fine.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 13th March am: 2 miles in 14:30
    I’d a cold over the weekend that I didn’t want to turn worse, so no running. Only a short run out yesterday morning, but body felt good.
    Pm: 6.5 miles in 43:40 (6:43)
    Down at the track with the two older kids, easy warm-up mile, 2-4 in 6:3x range, 5 at 6:25 and cool down half mile at the end. Moving freely on the leg now, good to be back.
    Losing 4 weeks just as I was stepping up the training was pretty frustrating, but part and parcel of running. Sub3 a distant dream, but that’ll come again.

15 March: 6.2 miles in 45:30 (7:20)
    19 March: 3.1 miles in 23:40 (7:37)
    29 March: 6.2 miles in 47:10 (7:37) pushing buggy with 2 youngest
    31 March: 10 miles in 72:25 (7:15) HR172
    4 April: 4.1 miles in 30:10 (7:21) HR159
    6 April: 4 miles in 30 (7:30) HR158

So, that was my build up to the Manchester marathon, shin splints, snowed in, ice, chest infection amongst the issues. Anyhow, arrived in Manchester hopeful of running a time in and around 3:20.

Manchester marathon: 26.2 in 3:16:52 (7:28) Avg HR172

I stayed in Cheshire Thursday and Friday with family, but we got a hotel a few tram stops from Trafford on Saturday. Rocked up to the start line about 8:15, took a few pics and got ready. Loose plan was to stay with 3:30 pace group for first couple of miles and then move on if I was feeling it. I set my virtual pacer for a 3:20 , so there was plenty of flexibility.

First couple of miles flew by, and I decided there was no issues and the pace group was too packed, so I moved on.
    7:25, 7:22, 7:14, 7:22, 7:30

Weather was pretty cool, and on mile 6, I stopped for a quick pit stop, didn’t rush back to where I was, but generally, kept it steady and reserved energy. Nothing memorable about the course and nothing to report, just going nicely. Took on gels and water.
    7:47, 7:27, 7:22, 7:29, 7:25

Between 11 and 15, I was feeling alright, another pit stop and then, decided to up the pace. There was a good atmosphere around halfway in Acrington I think. Spent a little while running with a Bohermeen runner. Felt strong and was moving comfortably.
    7:34, 7:34, 7:14, 7:18, 7:27

Between 16 and 20 was probably when I was at my best, was motoring nicely. Spent a while thinking about what could have been if training had gone to plan, but just enjoyed it.
    7:30, 7:10, 7:07, 7:11, 7:11

Through 20, I started feeling it a bit, maybe I’d over cooked the previous half hour, but pace was still reasonably fine. By 25 miles, I was just hanging on a bit. Having passed out about 400-500 people, I started losing a few places, but the end was in sight.
    7:06, 7:27, 7:32, 7:43, 7:54

Crossing through 26 miles, the crowd finally thickened up a bit, atmosphere was a bit dead, so I did a bit of cheerleading, showboating and something resembling running fast for the last 385 yards. Mrs TPP gave me a big shout out and I crossed very happy to dip under 3:17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Seems like you enjoyed it A, I done it a few years back (when it was short!) and really enjoyed the course. The bit out in the countryside about 22m was the only downer.

Any plans to rock a sub 3 this year?

Seems like you enjoyed it A, I done it a few years back (when it was short!) and really enjoyed the course. The bit out in the countryside about 22m was the only downer.

Any plans to rock a sub 3 this year?

Yeah, I’d hope to knock out a sub3 later in the year. I was gearing up nicely in January, so I don’t think I’m over the hill just yet. I really enjoyed DCM last year, and haven’t gone under 3 in Dublin, so considering options.

I thought the race was fine, no issues with organization or anything, but nothing memorable about the course. I wouldn’t be rushing back to do it again, but little to find fault with all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement