Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So with Glanbia, the fixed contract on their side is 3 years but 5 years on the farmers side.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,203 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I dont know was thinking about it during milking and it raises more questions in my head :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

whelan2 wrote: »
    I dont know was thinking about it during milking and it raises more questions in my head :confused:

would this stop you handing in your notice to leave

would this stop you handing in your notice to leave

On re reading the forms, priority is given to those who were in phase nine. I wasn't in it. Also after the 3cent drop last month and the uncertainty in my head over what would happen IF I wanted to hand in my notice, I'm out. I want to keep my options open. Maybe I'm totally wrong but that's my view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

heard the 20c payment glanbia lads were to get for dumped milk will be paid in meal vouchers

might see if they would they accept payment in the form of a cow next time im settling my trading account

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

heard the 20c payment glanbia lads were to get for dumped milk will be paid in meal vouchers

might see if they would they accept payment in the form of a cow next time im settling my trading account

Almost like food stamps in America.maybe we're all too cynical of dear glanbia😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Why are people getting payed for milk that wasn't collected?

I must ask larry about this regarding the cattle i dont send to him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Why are people getting payed for milk that wasn't collected?

I must ask larry about this regarding the cattle i dont send to him

I'd cut across you strongly on that one Darragh..

The supplier is contracted to supply their milk to the coop, and the coop is contracted to collect that milk.

.(You have the choice to supply Larry, your product can wait till next week, and Larry is not contracted to collect your beast)

I would go as far as to suggest that any farmer who lost milk due to the coop being unable to collect, should have been paid in full for that loss....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

alps wrote: »
    I'd cut across you strongly on that one Darragh..

The supplier is contracted to supply their milk to the coop, and the coop is contracted to collect that milk.

.(You have the choice to supply Larry, your product can wait till next week, and Larry is not contracted to collect your beast)

I would go as far as to suggest that any farmer who lost milk due to the coop being unable to collect, should have been paid in full for that loss....

Going on that train of thought, the dairy farmer that had to dump milk should be paid by the county council as it is their duty to keep roads in a fit state and clear of obstruction. The coop was willing to collect, but unable due to a a third party.

Anyway, it makes no difference

Going on that train of thought, the dairy farmer that had to dump milk should be paid by the county council as it is their duty to keep roads in a fit state and clear of obstruction. The coop was willing to collect, but unable due to a a third party.

Anyway, it makes no difference
    Drivers weren't covered to drive in a red weather alert, so makes no difference what condition the roads were in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

Drivers weren't covered to drive in a red weather alert, so makes no difference what condition the roads were in

Not true according to a friend who works in insurance business

Fixture wrote: »
    Not true according to a friend who works in insurance business

Haulage company oh works for definitely weren't covered

The contract for milk is ex yard. Same as any product. If the purchaser fails to collect as per contract, why is it the sellers problem.
    AFAIK, most processors are insured against this type of loss. The 20c is from the insurer IWT. I do not understand, on what basis, they could unilaterally convert that into feed discount or feed vouchers.

Haulage company oh works for definitely weren't covered

We were collected after the red alert start time, but the roads were perfectly clear.

A local haulier for a neighbouring coop wanted to keep on collecting and to try and clear as many tanks as possible, but the coop closed down milk intake early in the day, and without so.e place to deliver the milk the haulier had to stop collections quiet early.

A farmer should not be at a loss over work related decisions such as above, and I'm not sure that anyone has been abandoned with such a loss in any case.

The whole responsibility around Red Alerts is very vague, well probably more than vague, possibly unknown, and I suspect that employers took the position that if an employee suffered en route or at work during a red alert, there would be a very high risk of a civil claim...

Yes, we are only getting used to Red Alerts and the implications. My accountant had to go to work in the hurricane last year, when most places had told non urgent staff to stay at home. It was lunacy. He was sent home at lunch time. Stupid, wouldn't be the word.
    Similar happened with appointments in some hospitals. The senior management wouldn't come in, on the Sunday, to meet and make the decision to cancel, out patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

For any Kerry suppliers that weren't at the meetings this week, Kerry will soon be offering 4 chances during the year to fix prices for shorter terms like 3-6 months. There will only be 24 hours to opt in to fix the price for a portion of your milk and it will be carried out using the MilkedIn app so get yourself on the app if you think you will be interested in it. It's due to go live later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭cute geoge

For any Kerry suppliers that weren't at the meetings this week, Kerry will soon be offering 4 chances during the year to fix prices for shorter terms like 3-6 months. There will only be 24 hours to opt in to fix the price for a portion of your milk and it will be carried out using the MilkedIn app so get yourself on the app if you think you will be interested in it. It's due to go live later in the year.

Any other interesting topics trashed out at meeting??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I know a man with 1m litres and every cent drop he is losing 10k off his profit but you never hear him say every time it increases a cent he is gaining 10k.

cute geoge wrote: »
    Any other interesting topics trashed out at meeting??
    :D

Yeah:pac:

One of the speakers on the finance committee or somesuch gave a good breakdown on the discussions with Revenue, all 3 strands of them. The date for Arbitration is either April or September depending on the wishes of the new Arbitrator and 96% of eligible suppliers are now engaged in the arbitration process.

There's lots more detail but you should probably talk to your local rep for the details on that as it's not something the Co-op want shareholders to be talking about in public. As yet, anyway. It's worth having a chat with him, though, a fair few things happening there atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

alps wrote:
    Does that mean that if you apply for the fixed scheme and the milk price never goes that low, that you can get out if the fixed price scheme by giving notice?

Alps you are a man after my own heart.

• Advertisement

I'm struggling to see the sense in this one Buford..

Who was promoting it's merits? What were the pluses and minuses?

In our coop we get to fix for a month, and get 12 opportunities in the year😂😂😂

alps wrote:

And it's more fun because they don't tell you the price until six weeks after you fix?

alps wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see the sense in this one Buford..

Who was promoting it's merits? What were the pluses and minuses?

That was all the info we got on it at the meeting, alps. Farmers seem reluctant to fix for long periods so, along with the normal 3 year fixed price option, we will be given the option of participating in the milk futures for short term fixes.

In the years before abolishing quotas, the milk price fluctuated by 8c a liter but, since quotas going, they are fluctuating by 20c so they are promoting this as a method to reduce the fluctuations some bit.

No idea about it other than that, I'm afraid.

kowtow wrote: »
    And it's more fun because they don't tell you the price until six weeks after you fix?

There's no option to opt out though

That was all the info we got on it at the meeting, alps. Farmers seem reluctant to fix for long periods so, along with the normal 3 year fixed price option, we will be given the option of participating in the milk futures for short term fixes.

Be very interesting to see the short term fix prices they offer. Worth keeping a record of them, have to take care that transaction costs don't outweigh any benefit over the long term.

Are they saying all these short term fixes will be hedged in a futures market? What would the reference product be I wonder?

GDT down 0.6%

Event Results

Global Dairy Trade Event 209 concluded with the GDT Price Index down 0.6%

Key Results
    AMF index down 7.0%, average price US$5,806/MT
    Butter index up 4.1%, average price US$5,494/MT
    BMP index up 1.0%, average price US$1,988/MT
    Ched index up 2.2%, average price US$3,679/MT
    LAC index up 1.1%, average price US$549/MT
    RenCas index up 12.1%, average price US$5,668/MT
    SMP index down 1.8%, average price US$1,849/MT
    WMP index up 1.6%, average price US$3,278/MT
    Full results have been published on www.globaldairytrade.info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Jim woulfe is at it again. Wouldn't you think he'd keep his trap shut until we see an end to the fodder famine.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/further-milk-price-decreases-on-the-horizon-woulfe/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 agrifan_1090

just had to laugh when I was scrolling through agriland. I see an article on The Eu needing to reduce milk output and scroll down another bit and there's some lad doubling his cow numbers and all is rosey in the garden. some sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

An
    just had to laugh when I was scrolling through agriland. I see an article on The Eu needing to reduce milk output and scroll down another bit and there's some lad doubling his cow numbers and all is rosey in the garden. some sh1te.

And given the current circumstances with weather and fodder shortages,if the weather takes off as sure as nite follows day farmers will have memories like a sieve and lessons will not be learned.temporary blip till next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Advertisement