Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    mf240 wrote: »
    Fair enough dawg. This is the pic I posted for anyone wondering.

a9c5bf4f743786610eab480dc7100066--horse-trailers-cattle-trailers.jpg

God what do some lads be thinking
    Yeah especially when he had a caravan that would do the job grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold dropped two to 33.5c/l

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

Any word on Aurivo, Arrabawn, Tipp, LacPatrick??
    Journal saying Carbury is -2 but I presume the individual Co ops won’t pass it in in full?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Fixture wrote: »
    Any word on Aurivo, Arrabawn, Tipp, LacPatrick??
    Journal saying Carbury is -2 but I presume the individual Co ops won’t pass it in in full?

I'd love to be able to make an assumption like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

How many 100acre tillage/beef/sheep farmers are making a * full time* living from farming? Very few. The sting is that dairy farming doesn’t lend itself to part time farming.

Absolutely.

Where dairy is concerned we've been a bit blinded because we've used mixed farm / tillage comparative crop accounting to assess an enterprise which really has more in common with poultry or pigs.

I think it's changing slowly ... Actually I think that's one of the big plus points of green fields.. but nervous time for those expanding into an environment where there is a big fixed cost hump in between them and the hoped for economies of scale.

The saving grace could yet be long leases. There is a certain flexibility in that approach because ultimately both parties to a lease have a shared interest in a profitable enterprise. I'd rather pay up for a lease than a loan in this environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

kowtow wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Where dairy is concerned we've been a bit blinded because we've used mixed farm / tillage comparative crop accounting to assess an enterprise which really has more in common with poultry or pigs.

I think it's changing slowly ... Actually I think that's one of the big plus points of green fields.. but nervous time for those expanding into an environment where there is a big fixed cost hump in between them and the hoped for economies of scale.

The saving grace could yet be long leases. There is a certain flexibility in that approach because ultimately both parties to a lease have a shared interest in a profitable enterprise. I'd rather pay up for a lease than a loan in this environment.

Yes the long term lease is a big step up from the conacre system of old, but for someone to invest in buildings on leased land the term would want to be a min of 25yrs. with a first option on renewal.

Greenfield is a ballsy experiment and fair dues to them for being up front on details. I’d love to know the figures on it. I’d reckon that the margin, if any, is fair tight...15yr lease with the landlord keeping the sfp and a good throw per acre? All I ever heard on it was that they banked x euros.
    I’m doing my own version of expansion here. Easily done with low land prices and generational leases (why do you think I’m here), and a little courage. I expand at every opportunity in all sectors but mostly tillage. I’ve a Farm coming on shortly that was a profitable dairy and tillage Farm producing 1.5mln litres. Land price is just under €1k/acre and the sfp is mine. There’s no way I’d bother if it was on Greenfield terms.
    Imo Greenfield can never work in reality but it’s a brilliant way to expose the cost and hardship (or lack of) of expansion on leased land. It would be nice if someone posted the figures on it.
    I’d love to get a day there to compare my expansion system with it.
    There’s two types of farmers...those that expand and those that don’t. I’m firmly in the expansionist camp because,imho, if you’re not going forward you’re going backwards. Then there’s the other camp that believe, to paraphrase Einn32, ‘people that inherited their farm with subsidies and will find it hard to mess that up’.
    It would be interesting if the Greenfield figures were posted for discussion. Not the day to day running of the farm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Yes the long term lease is a big step up from the conacre system of old, but for someone to invest in buildings on leased land the term would want to be a min of 25yrs. with a first option on renewal.

Greenfield is a ballsy experiment and fair dues to them for being up front on details. I’d love to know the figures on it. I’d reckon that the margin, if any, is fair tight...15yr lease with the landlord keeping the sfp and a good throw per acre? All I ever heard on it was that they banked x euros.
    I’m doing my own version of expansion here. Easily done with low land prices and generational leases (why do you think I’m here), and a little courage. I expand at every opportunity in all sectors but mostly tillage. I’ve a Farm coming on shortly that was a profitable dairy and tillage Farm producing 1.5mln litres. Land price is just under €1k/acre and the sfp is mine. There’s no way I’d bother if it was on Greenfield terms.
    Imo Greenfield can never work in reality but it’s a brilliant way to expose the cost and hardship (or lack of) of expansion on leased land. It would be nice if someone posted the figures on it.
    There’s two types of farmers...those that expand and those that don’t. I’m firmly in the expansionist camp because,imho, if you’re not going forward you’re going backwards. Then there’s the other camp that believe, to paraphrase Einn32, ‘people that inherited their farm with subsidies and will find it hard to mess that up’.
    It would be interesting if the Greenfield figures were posted for discussion. Not the day to day running of the farm!!!

If going the greenfields route myself I'd like to see the herd register which in my view is as important as the figures. It d give a great insight of herd turnover. Would be very informative. Is that made available surely since it's a research farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

France is probably just further down the line in farming than Ireland,
    I was telling a young part time farmer in the last few days that the way things were looking that he'd have the choice of several farms around here in ten years, also talking to a friend that told me he had offered his farm to a few of his relatives with no success and he himself had inherited a lot of land over the years.
    Maybe ten years from now land here will 1k/acre too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

http://www.greenfielddairy.ie/financial/

Financials here up to 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Where is the one cent adverse weather top up coming from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

whelan2 wrote:

Good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »

the 3c price cut

cute maneuver imo, has the base down for further slaughter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

GI

I'm none too happy with this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Aurivo cut by 1.5 cent but 1.5 cent early calving bonus, price 35.5 cent/litre. Happy with our lads considering the cuts in other Coop's

yewtree wrote: »
    Aurivo cut by 1.5 cent but 1.5 cent early calving bonus, price 35.5 cent/litre. Happy with our lads considering the cuts in other Coop's

Fair play

yewtree wrote: »

Bonus added before or after solids adjustment?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Mooooo wrote: »
    Bonus added before or after solids adjustment?

Before solids adjustment, bonus for February and March

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Glanbia must be 2.5c/l behind the average of everyone else for Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Timmaay wrote: »
    Glanbia must be 2.5c/l behind the average of everyone else for Feb?

They have a 4.25 cent bonus for Feb and last two weeks in Jan. It's for manufacturing supplies and you need to be over 3% in Feb and under 15% in June. Which brings them up a bit for a lot of lads. Plus they will give you free cheese at the ploughing, not to be sneezed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

mf240 wrote: »
    They have a 4.25 cent bonus for Feb and last two weeks in Jan. It's for manufacturing supplies and you need to be over 3% in Feb and under 15% in June. Which brings them up a bit for a lot of lads. Plus they will give you free cheese at the ploughing, not to be sneezed at.

33 Glanbia
    34 DG Kerry lakeland
    35/36 west Cork

• Advertisement

33 Glanbia
    34 DG Kerry lakeland
    35/36 west Cork

33.5 dg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hearing of a 3 cent drop to 34.05 for Arrabawn bit 2 cent early calving bonus for February

33 Glanbia
    34 DG Kerry lakeland
    35/36 west Cork

Are glanbia not on 32?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Plus one cent, for the bad weather, Whelan.

Water John wrote: »
    Plus one cent, for the bad weather, Whelan.

32 base price. Drop of 3 cents from 35 last month

32 base price. Drop of 3 cents from 35 last month

Exactly the base price is 32 and to say anything else is a smokescreen. When I see the lesser drops in comparison to glanbia I am seriously fed up. Why are we almost continuously the lowest price in the country?? How do we compare on board wages and bonuses to the other co ops? Are we the lowest there too...???

I certainly won't be the one coming to Glanbia's defence.
    Neither Talbot with her Execs or Corbally and his Board give two sh***s about the suppliers. Nor do they care, how it is perceived.

Arrabawn down 1 to 36.1 Makes a joke of glanbia!

Something around a 10% differential. Serious money.
    A tidy store bullock, one buyer offers you €800, another says he'll give €880.
    That's a hard one to decide.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Something around a 10% differential. Serious money.
    A tidy store bullock, one buyer offers you €800, another says he'll give €880.
    That's a hard one to decide.

It's 2700 on my milk cheque. What can we do as glanbia suppliers?

Advertisement