Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halawa complaining about Late Late

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just a normal teenager... Playing football with his friends, putting whatever pocket money he didn't buy penny sweets with into the trocaire box, going to the cinema... Stumbling into the middle of a protest and ending up on stage. Normal stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

The part that just really baffled me in terms of consistency was his arrival home, having gained what looked like several stone in weight.

Not being funny - just genuinely unsure how that can be explained, if indeed it was even broached, when one claims they suffered incessant torture, starvation, deprivation, etc.

Rumour has it the prison guards were feeding him deep fried falafel burgers 24/7 just to shut the fat annoying c*nt up. Only torture that took place was the guards listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

People get very passionate about this lad. Can’t say I’ve any strong feelings on him either way. Don’t really care what he gets up to, publicly or otherwise tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yeah, but he wasn't found innocent, was he. So therefore he must be guilty. Cant be having one rule for one foreign court case and a different rule for another.

if he was in any way guilty he wouldn't have been acquitted. it's as simple as that. as much as some wish it to be otherwise, the only thing he is guilty of is being naive.
    Amirani wrote: »
    Shouldn't have decided to talk publically on national television if he wasn't comfortable talking about his experiences. Nobody forced him.

if he didn't talk people would be whining that he didn't. damned when he did and damned if he didn't. he can't win whatever he does.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

the media simply reported the information given. they are guilty of nothing from what i can see.

Professional incompetence maybe? Maybe I'm wrong but I never realised their job was to report the information given to them. I always assumed they went out and got their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

deco nate wrote: »
    Well he said himself that he would rather be back in a cell, fecking let him go I say. He's a muppet that has lied about being starved, tortured, and shot in the hand that was so bad he nearly lost the use of. Yet somehow he was put in a cell with someone, by a miracle somehow cured him with whatever was lying around.

For someone that was starved he came out fat.
    How does that happen?

The actual prison situation changed after the Irish government became involved. He is trying to portray conditions as if it was a Midnight Express Turkish jail; the reality was far from that.

Since Halawa has brought himself back into the spotlight again, there are still a number of lingering issues with his story.

For example, when he and three of his sisters were caught up in a siege at the mosque in Cairo in August 2013, why did they not avail of the opportunity to leave the mosque after it was arranged between Irish and Egyptian diplomats?
    By being arresting, they knew that they would be able to get more attention for their "cause" by using their Irish citizenship after their arrest.

And speaking of the Halawa sisters; are they still suing the Irish State for not allowing their Egyptian husbands into Ireland faster than the normal process? The sisters are also alleging "unlawful discrimination" against them by the Irish State.
    What an odd thing to do; especially with the substantial amount of money and effort already spent by the Irish State on their family.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be sad too if I had to face the wailing sisters daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He wasn't even supposed to be on The Late Late Show. He was going somewhere else and accidentally walked into the RTE studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He obviously missed being in the limelight so decided to drum up this shîte to draw the spotlight on himself again.

He’s up there with Twink on my list of people I wish would just fúck off somewhere else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He wasn't even supposed to be on The Late Late Show. He was going somewhere else and accidentally walked into the RTE studio.
    He was attracted by the stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I suspect young Halawa is keeping his name in the public arena with an eye top a political career.

Sooner or later he'll be approached by a political party who are probably measuring his popularity, or otherwise from his various appearances.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DanMurphy wrote: »
    I suspect young Halawa is keeping his name in the public arena with an eye top a political career.

Sooner or later he'll be approached by a political party who are probably measuring his popularity, or otherwise from his various appearances.
    Which party is aligned closely to Muslim Brotherhood?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

His problem is his story doesn't add up and people wouldn't care as much if they felt they had received the truth.
    Who goes to the cinema and ends up on a stage talking to thousands of people?
    His father is one of the leading Muslim Brotherhood figures in Europe and Ibrahim claimed on radio he knows little about them.
    His problem is he doesn't have a convincing story, and one would have to question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

He was on the receiving end of a cynical line of questioning usually reserved for politicians, not innocent people who've been incarcerated without trial in a dictatorship for several years. To be fair, he answered the questions very well, but that was never going to be enough for all the racists on the internet, many of whom refuse to even recognise the fact that he's an Irish citizen.

Oh no, I said 'racist'. I wonder if Boards' regular racist bores will all pile on now with a tedious chorus of "SJW" "libtard" "virtue signaller" "nothing's ever racist" "what's racist about..."

Just curious, is everyone who doesn't quite believe the lad's story racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

no . just a few posters on boards only. as far as the rest of us are concerned, he was acquited, released, job done.

the media simply reported the information given. they are guilty of nothing from what i can see.

Yeah right !! What information? The information given by the "neutral" sisters or by the Muslim Brotherhood mosque in Clonskeagh. Never a question asked as to motivation. If you were to believe the media ( with their partisan slant on the issue) you would have expected RTE to interrupt live programming to show his plane circling over the airport as he arrived back. We might even have all got a day off work in celebration such was their enthusiasm. Was he expecting an open topped bus parade through Dublin city centre?
    Most people saw through the agenda driven media circus. There is happily still hope in common sense.

Ps. As regards him being innocent. He was found innocent by a judicial system that his few but loud supporters spent their time denigrating as illegitimate. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭corks finest

“There were times after where I would wish I could go back to my prison cell,” said the 22-year-old.

Don't we all
    Wished they'd have kept him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Just curious, is everyone who doesn't quite believe the lad's story racist?

Well founded curiousity tbh.

I'm one of those who did not,for a moment,believe any of the stuff propagated widely across the Irish Media from the day the Family's annual holiday back-home began.

It is perhaps noteworthy,that the media profile of his strident Sister's has also declined,possibly due to a certain lack of credibility as the "Plain People" were finally able to see and hear from Ibrahim himself.

The Hawala's Irish media time has come and gone,with perhaps a niche still available on the Leftish leaning University circuit.

However,and perhaps not entirely coincidentally,RTE's Ray d'Arcy Show appears to have stumbled across a topic and personality which could develop the broader issues surrounding the Hawallas into,at the very least,a new Thread.

Interesting & worthwhile debating issues,raised by Kevin Sharkey,a gent with,argueably far more intimate knowledge of abuse & torture right here in Ireland,than the Hawala's ever experienced on their Egyptian holiday ?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ireland-is-being-repopulated-and-it-doesnt-seem-to-matter-to-the-powers-that-be-who-is-coming-kevin-sharkey-calls-for-open-dialogue-on-immigration-36763433.html

This might result in a right old ding-dong,if Sharkey gets a nomination and the current incumbent decides to run again ???

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well founded curiousity tbh.

I'm one of those who did not,for a moment,believe any of the stuff propagated widely across the Irish Media from the day the Family's annual holiday back-home began.

It is perhaps noteworthy,that the media profile of his strident Sister's has also declined,possibly due to a certain lack of credibility as the "Plain People" were finally able to see and hear from Ibrahim himself.

The Hawala's Irish media time has come and gone,with perhaps a niche still available on the Leftish leaning University circuit.

However,and perhaps not entirely coincidentally,RTE's Ray d'Arcy Show appears to have stumbled across a topic and personality which could develop the broader issues surrounding the Hawallas into,at the very least,a new Thread.

Interesting & worthwhile debating issues,raised by Kevin Sharkey,a gent with,argueably far more intimate knowledge of abuse & torture right here in Ireland,than the Hawala's ever experienced on their Egyptian holiday ?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ireland-is-being-repopulated-and-it-doesnt-seem-to-matter-to-the-powers-that-be-who-is-coming-kevin-sharkey-calls-for-open-dialogue-on-immigration-36763433.html

This might result in a right old ding-dong,if Sharkey gets a nomination and the current incumbent decides to run again ???

It would be very interesting. Would shine a bright light on Michael D's hypocricy. Who would the media support? It would present a dilemma for them. A member of a minority group or their once and future King? I think I know which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

beertons wrote: »
    He'd be better off saying nothing. Keep the head down and work away. Nobody like attention seekers.

I would think all this media interaction is down to his sisters pushing it onto him, given that it was the college subject for one of them.
    I would imagine this is all leading up to a book launch, which one of the sisters said she was writing, which they hope in turn has some lead up to a movie or tv drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

...that was never going to be enough for all the racists on the internet, many of whom refuse to even recognise the fact that he's an Irish citizen.

An Irish "citizen" isn't the same as someone born and bred in Ireland.
    Just because someone has a piece of paper saying that can stay here doesn't mean real Irish people automatically have some affinity or kinship with them. It's not like he grew up in Ballyfermot and accidentally crossed the road in the middle of a protest and was caught up in it.

Playing with the definition of Irish doesn't mean that challenging that definition is racist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Just because someone has a piece of paper saying that can stay here doesn't mean real Irish people automatically have some affinity or kinship with them. It's not like he grew up in Ballyfermot and accidentally crossed the road in the middle of a protest and was caught up in it.

Playing with the definition of Irish doesn't mean that challenging that definition is racist.

But wasn't he born and bred in Ireland? Family moved to Ireland before he was born iirc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

DanMurphy wrote: »

Nobody in their right minds would touch him..... Sinn Féin maybe ?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

rgodard80a wrote: »

You keep thinking on that basis. Ye wouldn't want any of them getting comfortable and integrating, would ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Nobody in their right minds would touch him..... Sinn F maybe ?
    :D

Solidarity/PBP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

But wasn't he born and bred in Ireland? Family moved to Ireland before he was born iirc..

Careful there with them fact dealies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Away with you, with your factual "born here" nonsense. Every knows that you are not really Irish unless you turn tomato red after twenty minutes in the sun, listen to traditional Irish music, go to Mass twice a year, even if pretend to be an atheist on boards and watch GAA sports. Fact is Ibrahim is as Irish as anyone else in the country but some people want to try and erase that because he doesn't fit their vision of what an Irish person should be. He was born in the Coombe hospital in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭emeraldwinter

Are they still suing the government for various reasons. Also did they ever retract calling the Irish government that did everything they could to get him out racist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

The Late Late Show was all going fine, him talking about his shot finger and showing to the camera how he couldn't bend it any more.. only to be seen bending it moments later.

While it's one thing to maybe doubt his stories, you cannot doubt physical evidence.

He made a big deal out of how he could not bend his finger. He then bent his finger. What else was he not telling the truth about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Are they still suing the government for various reasons. Also did they ever retract calling the Irish government that did everything they could to get him out racist ?

The sister's are still suing the state, Yea the same state that bent over backwards to get him out.

All because the state has doubts about their arranged marriages and won't let their "husband's"
    In quick enough.

They really are a lovely family...never happy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭emeraldwinter

Berserker wrote: »
    Away with you, with your factual "born here" nonsense. Every knows that you are not really Irish unless you turn tomato red after twenty minutes in the sun, listen to traditional Irish music, go to Mass twice a year, even if pretend to be an atheist on boards and watch GAA sports. Fact is Ibrahim is as Irish as anyone else in the country but some people want to try and erase that because he doesn't fit their vision of what an Irish person should be. He was born in the Coombe hospital in Dublin.

Open to correction but did they not arrive after the laws on citizenship had changed. E.G being born here to none Irish parents.

Advertisement