Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route 139 Naas to Blanchardstown Launches 12th Mar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

The routing of this service doesn't seem to have been given much thought at all whoever routed it via Parson street in Maynooth has obviously never driven it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Section b indicates content requires approval. A lack of content doesn't mean something was not submit.

Of course it could be a hold up at the NTA end, but considering they had all of the timetable leaflets and maps done up well in advance it suggests they may well have done at least part of their bit and JJK have showed no effort or made no effort whatsoever as far as I can see publicly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

L1011 wrote: »
    Weight limit on Cope Bridge and the bus being rather heavier is on the front page of the Champion this week
    I contacted Kildare Co Co about it and got this response yesterday...
    Your case number xxxxx dated 20/03/2018 has been examined by the Roads Design Team in the Road Transport and Safety Department and the outcome is:
    This matter is under examination by National Transport Authority (NTA).
    Passing the buck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Weight limit on Cope Bridge and the bus being rather heavier is on the front page of the Champion this week

I suspect the weight limit sign is to stop articulated lorries from using the backroads. The usual motivation for non-locals to use that route is to bypass the M50 toll.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I suspect the weight limit sign is to stop articulated lorries from using the backroads. The usual motivation for non-locals to use that route is to bypass the M50 toll.
    Nonetheless, the bridge has a 3.5tonne weight limit put in place by the council but they are happy to let something with a GVW of 19tonnes cross it. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Is it a railway bridge or canal bridge? Steel or stone?

Is it a railway bridge or canal bridge? Steel or stone?
    Both rail and canal.
    Made from stone.
    This is an old pic...
    8623817.jpg

kbannon wrote: »

Surly this is an issue for Irish Rail then? I know they have big safety margins but putting a bus over a 3.5t limit is a bit much..

Nonetheless, the bridge has a 3.5tonne weight limit put in place by the council but they are happy to let something with a GVW of 19tonnes cross it. :confused:

The other two similar bridges crossing the same railway/canal combo, Pikes Bridge (opposite Carton House) and Broombridge don't have weight restrictions. I don't think there's a problem with the bridge, just the signs. Last thing I want to see is the bus re-routed as if it is I won't be able to use it if it is, but I also don't want to see a stream of HGVs going over it either.

If my theory is correct it would just be better to remove the signs from the bridge and at the same time introduce a HGV ban on the road going by Confey GAA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Post on the Kildare forum claims its been re-routed via Lucan Village. Which will make the service considerably slower as the dual Liffey crossing was not needed before.

• Advertisement

Post on the Kildare forum claims its been re-routed via Lucan Village. Which will make the service considerably slower as the dual Liffey crossing was not needed before.

:(

Exactly what I wasn't looking for. If true the Confey part of Leixlip has just lost a bus service, and the only bus service that runs after 9pm on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

This is a NTA baby, not a good start is it, amateur effort would be the kindest way to describe it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

GM228 wrote: »
    Article 15.7 of the contract for the 139 route states:-

Are you quoting from a generally available document,or a rolled-up parchment you found nailed to a tree along the route ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Are you quoting from a generally available document,or a rolled-up parchment you found nailed to a tree along the route ? :)

The contract was supplied with the Route 139 tender documents on eTenders.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=116337&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Surly this is an issue for Irish Rail then? I know they have big safety margins but putting a bus over a 3.5t limit is a bit much..

Looks like it's an issue fairly & squarely for the Kavanagh Group....the contract has a specific provision relating to this aspect...
    Tenderers are responsible for carrying out an assessment of the Route to determine the suitability of their proposed vehicles to provide the Services.

Full marks to GM228 for the heads-up on the contract...It is a treasure trove of useful/less information,for sure :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Looks like it's an issue fairly & squarely for the Kavanagh Group....the contract has a specific provision relating to this aspect...
    GM228 mentioned that the NTA were supplying the busses and if they decided the route...???
    The tender specifically stated buses would be supplied by the NTA, GA never had this option.

Was this mistake both JJK's and the NTA's?

GM228 mentioned that the NTA were supplying the busses and if they decided the route...???

No,that was for the other Go-Ahead contract.

The NTA decide the route,you as the operator,then see if yer oul bussez will fit along it...sure'n what could be simpler ?.....Ya ;)

This one was always an operator supplied gig...as is the other (Bernard) Kavanagh route,the 817.

Thanks.
    Obviously then nobody from JJK's drove the route beforehand and spotted the weight limit signs. I presume no bus will legally* make it over the bridge however so the new route (or should that be new new route?) will probably be the permanent route.

* I say legally because I've seen many mini-busses and coaches bring teams to Confey GAA club and my daughter claims to have been on busses including double deckers that crossed the bridge on school trips.

No,that was for the other Go-Ahead contract.

The NTA decide the route,you as the operator,then see if yer oul bussez will fit along it...sure'n what could be simpler ?.....Ya ;)

This one was always an operator supplied gig...as is the other (Bernard) Kavanagh route,the 817.

I would blame both the NTA and JJ, but mainly the NTA as they set the route and bus requirements. The bus they required was for a minimum of 35 people, it would be impossible to supply such a bus subject to the 3.5t limit.

I would blame both the NTA and JJ, but mainly the NTA as they set the route and bus requirements and the bus the required was for a minimum 35 people, it would be impossible to supply such a bus subject to the 3.5t limit.

Now Now !!

This is Ireland,and we'll have none of this "Blame" stuff....;)

If we can manage to square away the College Green....erm...."situation" then a teeney weeney 3.5 Tonne Bridge limit issue,on a pre-planned 12 Tonne Bus Route is nothing much....eh ?

There may well be an explaination in the offing....but an FoI request may be required to view it.

Par for our course,really :)

• Advertisement

From tomorrow the 139 is back on its original route.

n97 mini wrote: »
    From tomorrow the 139 is back on its original route.

WHAAAT...?.....How ?....Who...?.....Surely not possible :confused:......a new bridge erected in..two weeks ?....Incredible :eek: ! ....were the Army Engineeering Corps involved ?

I take back everything negative I have ever said about the N.T.A. :D

WHAAAT...?.....How ?....Who...?.....Surely not possible :confused:......a new bridge erected in..two weeks ?....Incredible :eek: ! ....were the Army Engineeering Corps involved ?

I would guess the weight limit has simply been removed rather than any structural adjustments.

The limit was probably a mere traffic management measure rather than for structural reasons.

So does that mean trucks travelling over Cope bridge and down Captains Hill to avoid the M50?

So does that mean trucks travelling over Cope bridge and down Captains Hill to avoid the M50?

Oh Oh...complications ?

Hmmm,the truck issue might just require a tweak of a bye-law or somesuch....not a problem....surely ?.........yea ?.....:cool:

That old bridge does not look like it could take a daily battering from 40 tonne plus trucks all day. But who knows.. Let find out.

That old bridge does not look like it could take a daily battering from 40 tonne plus trucks all day. But who knows.. Let find out.
    If the bridge gets damaged then in all likleihood they will build a new one - possibly one that suits the road layout Kildare and Fingal were wanting joining the N4 and N3?

The weight limit (as previously stated) is purely for traffic management purposes, i.e. to stop HGVs taking short cuts. It was the wrong tool for the job.

The exemption is for buses only. Though like the bus stops themselves I doubt there'll be any changes in signage whatsoever to indicate this. At least that'd be consistent!

The same tool was used in Castletown to achieve the same end, and there isn't even a bridge on the route!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3651504,-6.5060986,3a,75y,141.62h,79.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV4SLf9dIN0IDvGF_Ulg60Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The bridge is pretty much the same as every other bridge along the Royal Canal/Sligo rail line, the most infamous one being Broombridge. No weight issues.

• Advertisement

Local government and democracy in action I guess. A lot of local people (myself included), and councillors questioned the NTA on the validity of the re-route. One of the councillors announced earlier that the NTA had instructed JJK to go back to the original route from first bus tomorrow.

Ironically it was a different councillor (from Celbridge no less) that seemed instrumental in screaming "won't someone think of the children!" to the NTA in the first place. I'll vote for everyone except him in the next elections.

Advertisement