Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Route 139 Naas to Blanchardstown Launches 12th Mar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

139 also serves Leixlip/Lucan to Blanch badly needed.

Wonder do the take passes??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

n97 mini wrote: »
    Local government and democracy in action I guess. A lot of local people (myself included), and councillors questioned the NTA on the validity of the re-route. One of the councillors announced earlier that the NTA had instructed JJK to go back to the original route from first bus tomorrow.

Ironically it was a different councillor (from Celbridge no less) that seemed instrumental in screaming "won't someone think of the children!" to the NTA in the first place. I'll vote for everyone except him in the next elections.

So,after all that it was just an oul "Wrong Sign" ?

If I was looking for a business to invest in,I reckon Road Sign Makers & Suppliers would be a good place to start...

http://www.roadway.ie/

http://www.pwssigns.com/road-signs-ireland

http://www.rennicks.com/

It's really about spotting the openings... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

John Dough wrote: »
    It's an NTA-sponsored service, so it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

139 also serves Leixlip/Lucan to Blanch badly needed.
    Not Lucan. That already has the 239 to Blanch.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Good to see the displays are up and running now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Well JJ Kavanagh have put a timetable up now, but very interesting development on how they've gone about it:

Remember the original NTA issued Timetable PDF with a route map, TFI branding and fare info here. Now look at the one that JJ Kavanagh have put up on their website here.

They've removed the first page with the route map and TFI branding and even more curiously they've blocked the fare section out even though it still says fares are correct at time of going to print.

Not very transparent with customers or integrated is it?

devnull wrote: »
    Well JJ Kavanagh have put a timetable up now, but very interesting development on how they've gone about it:

Remember the original NTA issued Timetable PDF with a route map, TFI branding and fare info here. Now look at the one that JJ Kavanagh have put up on their website here.

They've removed the first page with the route map and TFI branding and even more curiously they've blocked the fare section out even though it still says fares are correct at time of going to print.

Not very transparent with customers or integrated is it?

Is there,I wonder,an element of tension between the NTA and,in this case,the JJK group ?

The manner in which the 139 was rather suddenly rolled out,and the very obvious lack of any preparation,planning and most obviously,NO Customer Focused action at all,might indicate that the JJK group suddenly realised that they had a deadline approaching to get the wheels rolling before becoming liable for penalties ?

As you say,the lack of transparancy and definitive information in this single case,does not at all instill any confidence in the NTA's basic ability to manage situations like this ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Is there,I wonder,an element of tension between the NTA and,in this case,the JJK group ?

The manner in which the 139 was rather suddenly rolled out,and the very obvious lack of any preparation,planning and most obviously,NO Customer Focused action at all,might indicate that the JJK group suddenly realised that they had a deadline approaching to get the wheels rolling before becoming liable for penalties ?

We will have to see but I'm less than impressed so far with the way this service has been launched.

If the NTA do have some ways to enforce better standards of information they should so so without delay and if not they should learn lessons from this to make sure these issues don't happen again and put things in place to make it so.

We will have to see but I'm less than impressed so far with the way this service has been launched.

Same here. I really do wonder what the good folk employed by the NTA actually do every day. As regards the 139, they had one job, and they really fscked it up.
    If the NTA do have some ways to enforce better standards of information they should so so without delay and if not they should learn lessons from this to make sure these issues don't happen again and put things in place to make it so.

There are still massive information gaps. The buses now seem to be adhering to the timetable, but there are still no signs at existing bus stops to indicate the 139 services them. And RTPI integration seems to be too much of an ask.

Same here. I really do wonder what the good folk employed by the NTA actually do every day. As regards the 139, they had one job, and they really fscked it up.

There are still massive information gaps. The buses now seem to be adhering to the timetable, but there are still no signs at existing bus stops to indicate the 139 services them. And RTPI integration seems to be too much of an ask.

It's now a valid question to pose as to who,or what agency is tasked with monitoring and regulating the Regulator ?

As we are now discovering with the LUAS/College Green issue,the NTA itself now seems to be behaving in some form of weird "well meaning amateur" mode,which to some is ok,but to anybody with a bit of recognition of what a NATIONAL TRANSPORT AUTHORITY should be aspiring to,the events of the past week raise SERIOUS questions as to Professional Competence at the very highest levels in this "Authority".

However,as posters on here represent just ordinary folks,it's highly unlikely that our misgivings & fears will result in any REAL probing of these failures....it'll most likely take some additional external stimulus before the edifice starts to become repairable. :o

• Advertisement

There was a 139 heading outbound at blanchardstown shopping centre earlier.

There were only 5 or 6 passengers but the bus was there for 4 or 5 minutes as it took ages for the driver to get tickets issued for leap cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

thomasj wrote: »
    There was a 139 heading outbound at blanchardstown shopping centre earlier.

There were only 5 or 6 passengers but the bus was there for 4 or 5 minutes as it took ages for the driver to get tickets issued for leap cards.

Wait so the driver has to issue actual paper tickets for Leap passengers. Sort ofdemoralises the point of Leap as a paperless system.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Wait so the driver has to issue actual paper tickets for Leap passengers. Sort ofdemoralises the point of Leap as a paperless system.

No he doesn't. He only issues tickets for cash customers. And unlike Dublin Bus they take notes, which imho is a bad thing. Yesterday a woman paid for a 5.50 ticket with a 20 note.

The timetable is apparently about to be revised as it has far too much padding at the moment. 30 minutes from Leixlip to Maynooth is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

No he doesn't. He only issues tickets for cash customers. And unlike Dublin Bus they take notes, which imho is a bad thing. Yesterday a woman paid for a 5.50 ticket with a 20 note.

The timetable is apparently about to be revised as it has far too much padding at the moment. 30 minutes from Leixlip to Maynooth is insane.

By being a more long distance operator having more expensive fares it is a good idea to take notes but where that won't delay the bus extra. I have travelled on similar longer distance buses on the continent which do take notes and they employ a conductor as well as a driver perhaps this would be good idea for this type of setup.

Stephen15 wrote:

Sorry my bad. It took ages for the driver to get the system to take leap cards.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    By being a more long distance operator having more expensive fares it is a good idea to take notes but where that won't delay the bus extra.

Not sure I'd agree. Naas (via Sallins), Maynooth, Leixlip, Blanchardstown are all within the Irish Rail short hop zone.

As some fares are over €5, maybe accept €5 notes, but I think it should still be exact fare only.

Not sure I'd agree. Naas (via Sallins), Maynooth, Leixlip, Blanchardstown are all within the Irish Rail short hop zone.

As some fares are over €5, maybe accept €5 notes, but I think it should still be exact fare only.
    I recall some talk last year about the introduction of a €5 Coin,which might stifle the rush to retain paper.

With the NTA firmly committed to eliminating Public Bus Service cash transactions in the GDA within two-years,anything to keep cash at vaulting pole length is well worth it !!....particularly on a :eek: BRAND-NEW 2018 SERVICE :eek:

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I recall some talk last year about the introduction of a €5 Coin,which might stifle the rush to retain paper.

With the NTA firmly committed to eliminating Public Bus Service cash transactions in the GDA within two-years,anything to keep cash at vaulting pole length is well worth it !!....particularly on a :eek: BRAND-NEW 2018 SERVICE :eek:

On a side note I waited for the feeder bus from Naas to Sallins train station twice on Saturday gone. Neither showed up. Ended up getting a Bus reann bus to Dublin at 18.56 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

From the NTA today:-
    wrote:
    5. Information on Route 139 service
    Leaflets were distributed by the NTA to households in the catchment area of Route 139 in advance of commencement of services in March. The Transport for Ireland website contains timetable information in relation to the new service. The operator (JJ Kavanagh) has also provided timetable information on its website for Route 139 under “Town and City services”

Funny that the timetables only made it onto their site after I e-mailed the NTA about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I wonder if the leaflets will arrive now too :) for what its worth I live in Maynooth and didn't receive one(I do have a no junk mail sign though).

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    From the NTA today:-

Funny that the timetables only made it onto their site after I e-mailed the NTA about it!

There's also a link to it on the menu on the TFI site now.

tnegun wrote: »
    I wonder if the leaflets will arrive now too :) for what its worth I live in Maynooth and didn't receive one(I do have a no junk mail sign though).

Same here in Leixlip. A lot of people first heard about it when the local paper said it was being withdrawn due to the weight limit on Cope Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Was all word of mouth or a few of the community facebook pages that spread it around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The Route 139 contract award notice was recently published in the Official Journal of the EU (OJ).

http://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:234076-2018:TEXT:EN:HTML&src=0

Nearly €750,000 (ex vat) for JJ to run the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

On a side note I waited for the feeder bus from Naas to Sallins train station twice on Saturday gone. Neither showed up. Ended up getting a Bus reann bus to Dublin at 18.56 instead.

Is the timetable a bit fictional then?

I see that the buses that operate the 139 route are in the tfi livery now .

Branding includes the route map.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I find 139 very close to timetable. Drivers regularly pause at stops to stay on schedule

thomasj wrote: »
    I see that the buses that operate the 139 route are in the tfi livery now .

Branding includes the route map.

Any photos?

Sorry was on a bus at the time so didn't have the best angle.

But should be down that way layer so will take one later.

• Advertisement

Don't worry if you don't have chance - I was just curious if someone posted one elsewhere as to what it looked like.

Did anyone notice that JJ Kavanagh have the old timetable on their website still and not the revised one?

JJK haven't exactly covered themselves in glory have they in the way they've handled their first tendered route?

Advertisement