Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial - all 4 found not guilty Mod Note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Plenty of backs being slapped by sheepskin coat wearing rugger boys later on. Tally ho after that. What else can you say after all this?

Not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Talk to anyone previously accused of rape who was found not guilty and ask them if it ever leaves them? Now look on here and at twitter and see all the people on there who still believe these lads are guilty regardless of the verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Isshelying wrote: »
    While rape is a horrible thing, a rape victim is just that, a victim. They get any amount of sympathy, support and anonymity. There is a chance that their attacjer will be very harshly punished.

A man falsely accused of rape is an outcast. He is despised, he has no support. He can lose everything from his family to his career. They arent safe in prison or the outside world. Even if they are acquitted, the accusation will follow them everywhere. If you google their name it will be the first result. There will be no justice for them, even if convicted a woman just faces a suspended sentence and is unlikely to lose their job or be shunned in their community.

It is worse, a lot worse and women will never understand it because they will never be in that situation.

You're also very very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Data emerging from Twitter seems to be

#repealthe8th = #IBelieveher

Given that the two issues are independent of each other. Whats causing the positive correlation in people having these unified views?

In addition to this. If prior to the case I was able to tell you that people who subscribe to a particular hashtag, would post-trial all subsequently realign with a new hashtag with the same people.

Does that reveal:

A) A predisposed alignment position that these "Independent-minded" people were always going to subscribe to regardless of the outcome of the case.

b) Just coincidental

Just before the judge sent the jury off to make their decision you could see he was trying to get the message across that you need to be a blank canvass of thought here when making your decision. Almost if the judge could, he would have memory flashed each jury member prior to the case with one of those Men in Black memory wipers.

Rent-a-mob, trigger-warnings-are-good, Twitter outrage brigade. Generally, daddy issues, bullying and non-straight sexuality are links between the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidebaro

Mr.H wrote:
    So counselling can stop people from calling you a rapist??

nonsense

Since this is the only part of my post you replied to, I take it you backtracked on the rest?

Counselling cannot stop other people from affecting you, no. So why should it be any easier for a rape victim? Trying to pursue a relationship, attempting to trust someone again, logging on to an internet forum and seeing some of the comments on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Mr.H wrote: »
    Im very very not!!

You are though. Goodbye.

I'm not sure. Rugby, since its amateur days, has had a nudge nudge wink wink attitude to boisterous male behaviour. Whether it's trashing hotel rooms, throwing beds out of hotel windows or, er, enjoying the company of young women while on tour there has always been a "boys will be boys" mentality backed up by the mantra that "what goes on tour, stays on tour".

There's many a grandee in the upper echelons of the IRFU (no names, no pack drill) who would be open to charges of utter hypocrisy if they pronounced that young men boasting about "pumping a bird" after a night out was inimical to the traditional values of rugby.

They would probably take a dim view if it was found to be non consensual or forced but if they felt she was up for it......well, nothing they haven't all done, or tried to do, in their youth.

And that, whatever your feelings may be, is the legal situation. They didn't commit rape or sexual assault. End of story.

getting a role as a leading female actor used to mean sleeping with the director.

Thankfully, this is the 21st century and attitudes are starting to change.

Plenty of backs being slapped by sheepskin coat wearing rugger boys later on. Tally ho after that. What else can you say after all this?

What a stupid stereotype comment by someone with an obvious pathetic chip on their shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 30,424 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This was the result I was expecting from what I heard in the news.
    If I was on the jury I'd also have went not guilty from what I heard.
    I know house parties after clubs/etc can get very messy and people can do wild things that they wouldn't normally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

ED E wrote: »
    #IBelieveHer is blasting away at the minute.

#idontbeliveher also trending now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

ED E wrote: »
    #IBelieveHer is blasting away at the minute.

the latest Twitter outage, in a couple of hours they will be on to the next outrage

I really feckin hate social media

She probably felt ashamed of herself because of our society's attitude to sex being "Dirty"

I feel sorry for her and other girls and guys who feel the same way because of puritan di*kheads telling people how to be, now you have sityeations like this.

As Christy said, Ride On.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have a huge issue with this. If you are found not guilty of a crime, you should be able to proclaim you are innocent.

This is a huge double standard.

"Not guilty" means exactly that you are "innocent".
    However it doesn't mean that you didn't do what you were accused of.

Likewise being accused doesn't mean you did it.

Being found "guilty" is supposed to be the only time we can draw the conclusion that you committed the crime you were accused of, hence why you are innocent until "proven" guilty.

However even this isnt alway reliable, especially when a jury of "your peers" is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

erica74 wrote: »
    That you are, and it's impossible to understand why.

Then you obviously have not read my posts and are just arguing for no real reason.

Ill give you a quick recap

I said
    "I hope she GENUINELY THOUGHT she was raped"

I went on to say something like "because being accused of rape is the worst thing that can happen to anyone"

(that second sentence might not be word for word but I am sure if you checked the post it would read that way.)

I am just saying I hope she thought she was a victim because if she didnt it means she is a liar and IMO if that is the case she deserves to be tarnished all over every newspaper in the world the way the lads where and she should be called a liar. She also deserves a lot of jail time. But of course that is if she didnt think she was raped.

So there you go. That is why there is a comparison. Because someone decided to take issue with me saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Correct verdict.

The burden of proof in a criminal case is that the prosecution must prove the case beyond all reasonable doubt.
    This case involved copious amounts of doubt - everyone involved was profoundly intoxicated at the time of the incident, the complainant testimony was questionable is it was full of inconsistencies and contradictions.

This was the correct verdict in my opinion. However, that does not change the fact that what those guys did was morally wrong. It was discgraceful behaviour of those guys.
    And I would also say that the behaviour of the woman was also disgraceful and irresponsible - a grown woman getting so leglessly intoxicated that she didn't know what rooms she was (re)entering and couldn't quite remember who she was with or what she did.
    The whole lot of them behaved like absolute idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Was dreading it as one thing I despise about these awful affairs is the certainty of reaction. My social feed is split between friends baying that it's a miscarriage of justice; the others, that justice was done.

I'd hate to be on a jury that has to make a judgement on something like this.

Isshelying wrote: »
    And you'd be 100% in the wrong and probably end up assaulting a man who engaged in consensual sex with your daughter. Just because you arent impressed with how your daughter behaved its no excuse to target innocent men.

Its this attitude that the woman is always the victim that is ridiculous. She chose to engage in what some people would describe as depraved sex and then felt embarassed about it. Her problem, not the four men who were hauled through the courts.

no, it is this attitude that women deserve no respect that gives young men the green light to behave in this manner.

just looking at this forum really makes me fear for the future. We seem to have a generation of young men that feel they are under threat, be it being asked to stand for a pregnant woman on a Dart, do the same job as a woman and earn the same money, or not be able to pull a train on a woman when they feel like it.

it scares me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

kingtiger wrote: »
    the latest Twitter outage, in a couple of hours they will be on to the next outrage

I really feckin hate social media

I was going to say "doesn't that include AH?", but that's more a case of anti-social media... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

For those commenting “not guilty isn’t the same as innocent”, does this mean that if someone is accused of something they can automatically never be innocent of it? Even if there is no evidence against them? Because after all “not guilty isn’t the same as innocent”

If you’re accused of murdering someone and found not guilty it equates that you are innocent of the crime, why not in the case of rape?

One thing I despise about these awful affairs is the certainty of reaction. My social feed is split between friends baying that's it's a miscarriage of justice; the others, that justice was done.

I'd hate to be on a jury that has to make a judgement on something like this.

Indeed its time to turn off all social media for the next few days till both sides get the outrage out of their system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

I can say that's the most childish comment I've read on Boards in a while
    It reeks of reverse snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

DrPhilG wrote: »
    At the risk of being crude, what exactly were the other 2 guys accused of?

I know one was accused of perverting the course of justice or something, so did he lie to the cops or try to cover for the 2 lads in some way?

And the other accused? Indecent exposure or something? Was he watching and "helping himself" or what?

I'm not just looking for gory detail by the way, I've been debating this with a work colleague. She is swayed more by the 2 lesser offences. We all know that the 2 lads spit roasted the girl and she is claiming it was rape, they say consensual. But my colleague reckons that if someone was lying to the cops, there must have been something to hide.

he allegedly entered the room with his trousers down member in hand.. looking to get involved. At this point the girl managed to get up and leave the room and subsequently the house.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Have you ever been raped?

Have you ever been accused of rape?

Unless you can answer yes to both you have no idea.

Can you answer yes to both??

Im pretty sure not many can

I can say though that you can be helped through one and not the other. Thats fact not opinion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

For those commenting “not guilty isn’t the same as innocent”, does this mean that if someone is accused of something they can automatically never be innocent of it? Even if there is no evidence against them? Because after all “not guilty isn’t the same as innocent”

If you’re accused of murdering someone and found not guilty it equates that you are innocent of the crime, why not in the case of rape?

In Ireland, being found Not Guilty just means you got away with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭francois

Whatever one's feelings about the verdict, their private whatsapp messages, as produced in court, were disrespectful and showed them to have a very low opinion of women.

Sidebaro wrote: »
    Since this is the only part of my post you replied to, I take it you backtracked on the rest?

Counselling cannot stop other people from affecting you, no. So why should it be any easier for a rape victim? Trying to pursue a relationship, attempting to trust someone again, logging on to an internet forum and seeing some of the comments on here?

Try that as an accused

Aegir wrote: »
    no, it is this attitude that women deserve no respect that gives young men the green light to behave in this manner.

just looking at this forum really makes me fear for the future. We seem to have a generation of young men that feel they are under threat, be it being asked to stand for a pregnant woman on a Dart, do the same job as a woman and earn the same money, or not be able to pull a train on a woman when they feel like it.

it scares me

Well if I were to "extrapolate" everything on a scale like you do then I'd be scared of most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Laneyh wrote: »
    he allegedly entered the room with his trousers down member in hand.. looking to get involved. At this point the girl managed to get up and leave the room and subsequently the house.

Figured that.

What about the 4th guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Thank you, I was getting worried that someone wouldn't be able to somehow find a way to shoehorn in the referendum but you did it!!!

Whats your take on the alignment? Was it an inevitability that this alignment was going to occur even before the case had started. If so, would it be fair to say that these people who claim to have read the facts and made an independent and cognitive decision on the particulars of the case..Are in fact merely, going on the same cognitive bias journey which means they are redundant in terms of their ability to independently interpret the facts of the case?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Katgurl wrote: »
    I am pretty sure she meant the courtroom experience not the sex.

Oh, well at least I don't need to backtrack on my comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement