Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Terror - AMC - US Pace (***Spoilers***)

• 16-01-2018 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the Novel by Dan Simmons.
    It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to force the Northwest Passage

Starring Jared Harris, Tobias Menzies & Ciaran Hinds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Good cast and if they get half the weird **** in the book into this it'll be interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cold and spooky.

Read the book a few years ago. Heard they were adapting it for TV a long while ago too, I didn't think it was going to get made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Dont see I thread on this but came across this trailer. It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to force the Northwest Passage with horror elements. Looks decent and has a good cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The book was great (although it wobbled towards the end), I hope they can bring the same sense of claustrophobia and danger from the elements to the small screen.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    The book was great (although it wobbled towards the end), I hope they can bring the same sense of claustrophobia and danger from the elements to the small screen.

Im going to give the book a read, looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Really enjoyed the book apart from a few parts. Had no idea they were making this. Something to look forward to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mod - Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Terror Featurette Meet the Characters

Starting over the next few evenings I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Starts tonight I believe.

I find it funny that Ciaran Hinds, an Irishman is playing a British part, and Jared Harris a british actor is playing an Irishman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Have this on my Watchlist but just realised I watched a documentary on Captain Sir John Franklin a few months ago. Looking forward to it even more now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

First episode is out there. Found it very good. Lot of atmosphere and a good sense of dread.

Those explorers back then musta been crazy.

Second episode airs tonight.

Heckler wrote: »
    First episode is out there. Found it very good. Lot of atmosphere and a good sense of dread.

Was looking for it earlier and could not find it. ill look at both episodes tomorrow night. looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Heckler wrote: »

Will this be released one episode per week after the first two? I enjoyed the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I really like Jared Harris. Fine actor.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Will this be released one episode per week after the first two? I enjoyed the book.

Yes, ten episodes final one showing on 22nd May.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Maaa!

Is this available on TV in Ireland? Its an AMC show which seems to only be on BT UK.

That was a really good opening two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

MayoForSam wrote: »

AMC are putting all ten episodes up on some US-only streaming service they have, or so I've heard, so if they do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bit of a slow burner but I'd rather that than the show being crazy from the start.

Good acting and the show looks very good to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Burgo wrote: »
    Starts tonight I believe.

I find it funny that Ciaran Hinds, an Irishman is playing a British part, and Jared Harris a british actor is playing an Irishman!

I think we’ll give him a pass considering who his father is.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

well watched first 2eps last night very impresses,great acting and sets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

spatchco wrote: »
    well watched first 2eps last night very impresses,great acting and sets

Same here. It was fantastic. I love shows/movies with these kind of themes.

It was very atmospheric. Class. Can't wait for the next few.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Maaa!

Maaa! wrote: »
    Is this available on TV in Ireland? Its an AMC show which seems to only be on BT UK.

anybody any ideas on this?:(

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

That was a really good opening two episodes.

+1

The subtle way the show presents the horror that is coming for the explorers was expertly done.

JasonS246 wrote: »
    +1

The subtle way the show presents the horror that is coming for the explorers was expertly done.

The diving scene was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Same here. It was fantastic. I love shows/movies with these kind of themes.

It was very atmospheric. Class. Can't wait for the next few.

+1. Great claustrophobic feel to it. Can't wait for next episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭seanin4711

super 1st episode!
    building tension from the start.
    super atmospheric
    ridley scott and a slew of fine actors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Right up my street so far. Liking everything about it.

The two captains are great. Harris and Hinds nailing it and I feel that either one could have played either captain. Also liking the surgeon character too.

The atmosphere is spooky and the slow burn is appreciated.

Period talk is good as well, "seat of ease" etc.

Never read the book, so I have no idea where this is going.

Wow didn't expect that in episode 3.

The last 15 minutes of episode of 5 WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The last 15 minutes of episode of 5 WOW

The other episodes aired/available?

Episodes 4 & 5 are available on the AMC service they air on TV tonight in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Any special subscription required to watch them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

Starting ep3 there gonna eat the monkey aren't they.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

never realised that the author Dan simmons was a predominantly horror author as I had read his Hyperion Cantos series of books which were pure Sci-Fi, well apart from the scary Shrike character

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

just watched ep 5 super as usual ,acting excellent as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Three episodes in: think it's an excellent production so far.

The scene where the two Captains faced off over whether or not to send a rescue party was the moment I realised that I was watching a genuinely quality show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Reading up on the real Franklin expidition makes for its own chilling fare, if you pardon the pun. They found some bodies of crewmen in the 80's, remarkably preserved in the perma frost.

WARNING: These links contains images you may find disturbing.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/johntorrington

https://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/FRANKLIN-EXPEDITION-MUMMIES-Mummies-Bodies-Talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Ok so im one of those people. I've read and thoroughly enjoyed the book by Dan Simmons. First 2 episodes in and it's so disappointing with how far removed from the book it is (Lady Silence for the book readers?). Even the basics are way off. Winter that far north is endless night and summer is daylight months on end obviously...you think they'd have at least got that right to make it feel authentic.

Skerries wrote: »
    never realised that the author Dan simmons was a predominantly horror author as I had read his Hyperion Cantos series of books which were pure Sci-Fi, well apart from the scary Shrike character

He does a similar fictional take on another historical event surrounding the Mallory expedition of Everest in the 1930's called The Abominable. Don't need to be a genius to guess the protagonist in Simmons version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wailin wrote: »
    Ok so im one of those people. I've read and thoroughly enjoyed the book by Dan Simmons. First 2 episodes in and it's so disappointing with how far removed from the book it is (Lady Silence for the book readers?). Even the basics are way off. Winter that far north is endless night and summer is daylight months on end obviously...you think they'd have at least got that right to make it feel authentic.

It’s not that far north. Great William island will get some sunlight even in darkest winter.

It’s not that far north. Great William island will get some sunlight even in darkest winter.

Wrong. It's in the Arctic circle and is far enough North that the sea freezes. No sunlight in winter months at all and sun does not set in summer that far north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And let's not forget that there would have been no television cameras there to record everything in the 1840's.

Wow didn't expect that in episode 3.

Just finished ep 3 myself. Such a great feeling of dread and foreboding in this programme. Maybe its the bleak landscape or the constant howling wind in the backround. Great stuff so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I love the setting, have a fascination with that era of polar exploration anyway so it definitely speaksappeals to me, and the character interactions, especially Captain Crozier, and the feeling of tension created. However I am feeling somewhat underwhelmed by the monster itself. Might give the book a lash at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Episodes 6 to 8 available now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Glebee wrote: »
    Just finished ep 3 myself. Such a great feeling of dread and foreboding in this programme. Maybe its the bleak landscape or the constant howling wind in the backround. Great stuff so far..

It's amazing. I'm afraid for every single person I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Testament1 wrote: »
    Episodes 6 to 8 available now!
    where? for the love a jaysis

• Advertisement
Advertisement