Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Terror - AMC - US Pace (***Spoilers***)

• 16-01-2018 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the Novel by Dan Simmons.
    It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to force the Northwest Passage

Starring Jared Harris, Tobias Menzies & Ciaran Hinds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Good cast and if they get half the weird **** in the book into this it'll be interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cold and spooky.

Read the book a few years ago. Heard they were adapting it for TV a long while ago too, I didn't think it was going to get made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Dont see I thread on this but came across this trailer. It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to force the Northwest Passage with horror elements. Looks decent and has a good cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The book was great (although it wobbled towards the end), I hope they can bring the same sense of claustrophobia and danger from the elements to the small screen.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    The book was great (although it wobbled towards the end), I hope they can bring the same sense of claustrophobia and danger from the elements to the small screen.

Im going to give the book a read, looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Really enjoyed the book apart from a few parts. Had no idea they were making this. Something to look forward to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mod - Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Terror Featurette Meet the Characters

Starting over the next few evenings I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Starts tonight I believe.

I find it funny that Ciaran Hinds, an Irishman is playing a British part, and Jared Harris a british actor is playing an Irishman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Have this on my Watchlist but just realised I watched a documentary on Captain Sir John Franklin a few months ago. Looking forward to it even more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

First episode is out there. Found it very good. Lot of atmosphere and a good sense of dread.

Those explorers back then musta been crazy.

Second episode airs tonight.

Heckler wrote: »
    First episode is out there. Found it very good. Lot of atmosphere and a good sense of dread.

Was looking for it earlier and could not find it. ill look at both episodes tomorrow night. looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Heckler wrote: »

Will this be released one episode per week after the first two? I enjoyed the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I really like Jared Harris. Fine actor.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Will this be released one episode per week after the first two? I enjoyed the book.

Yes, ten episodes final one showing on 22nd May.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Maaa!

Is this available on TV in Ireland? Its an AMC show which seems to only be on BT UK.

That was a really good opening two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

MayoForSam wrote: »

AMC are putting all ten episodes up on some US-only streaming service they have, or so I've heard, so if they do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bit of a slow burner but I'd rather that than the show being crazy from the start.

Good acting and the show looks very good to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Burgo wrote: »
    Starts tonight I believe.

I find it funny that Ciaran Hinds, an Irishman is playing a British part, and Jared Harris a british actor is playing an Irishman!

I think we’ll give him a pass considering who his father is.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

well watched first 2eps last night very impresses,great acting and sets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

spatchco wrote: »
    well watched first 2eps last night very impresses,great acting and sets

Same here. It was fantastic. I love shows/movies with these kind of themes.

It was very atmospheric. Class. Can't wait for the next few.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Maaa!

Maaa! wrote: »
    Is this available on TV in Ireland? Its an AMC show which seems to only be on BT UK.

anybody any ideas on this?:(

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

That was a really good opening two episodes.

+1

The subtle way the show presents the horror that is coming for the explorers was expertly done.

JasonS246 wrote: »
    +1

The subtle way the show presents the horror that is coming for the explorers was expertly done.

The diving scene was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Same here. It was fantastic. I love shows/movies with these kind of themes.

It was very atmospheric. Class. Can't wait for the next few.

+1. Great claustrophobic feel to it. Can't wait for next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

super 1st episode!
    building tension from the start.
    super atmospheric
    ridley scott and a slew of fine actors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Right up my street so far. Liking everything about it.

The two captains are great. Harris and Hinds nailing it and I feel that either one could have played either captain. Also liking the surgeon character too.

The atmosphere is spooky and the slow burn is appreciated.

Period talk is good as well, "seat of ease" etc.

Never read the book, so I have no idea where this is going.

Advertisement