Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Run out of carb drops and it's bottling day!

• 23-03-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I'm new to this game, just about to bottle my second batch and I've realised I only have enough carbonation drops for half the brew!

So, should I:

A) Bottle the half and wait for the carb drops to arrive? (should be with me on Monday/Tuesday)

B) Leave the full brew in the bucket until the drops arrive and bottle then?

C) Bottle today and use normal sugar for the second half?

Advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just use sugar. That's all carbonation drops are. It's a good opportunity to experiment with doses if you mark what's in each bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Thanks, how much sugar are we talking per 500ml?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

1/2 - 3/4 tsp. will do the job. if the style requires high carbonation (like a Belgian or Weiss) the higher side of that scale would work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

That's great thanks, off to the shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Would ye just drop a teaspoon of sugar into each bottle and then bottle as normal? All the guides I found online talked about making a sugar solution in a container of water, which would have involved an extra round of sanitising, rinsing etc and then having to measure proper amounts etc. Carb drops seemed a simple alternative to this but if you can just drop a teaspoon of ordinary white or brown sugar directly into each bottle, that's easier still...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Would ye just drop a teaspoon of sugar into each bottle and then bottle as normal? All the guides I found online talked about making a sugar solution in a container of water, which would have involved an extra round of sanitising, rinsing etc and then having to measure proper amounts etc. Carb drops seemed a simple alternative to this but if you can just drop a teaspoon of ordinary white or brown sugar directly into each bottle, that's easier still...
    That's why I use carb drops. Can't be arsed with the extra work making the sugar solution and making sure it's through mixed in with oxadizing the beer would be a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Just use a small spoon. If you can use a clean piece of paper to act as a funnel. Otherwise it can be hard stopping the sugar spilling around the top of the bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

I used to use a spoon in each bottle but it's never very consistent. Each bottle will be carbonated slightly differently.

Now I just scald a small pan out with boiling water and disolve the correct ampont of sugar in a small amount of water, (200ml) I add this to th ebeer when I transfer it to my bottling barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Batch priming is far more consistent and requires very little effort. The better carbonation results far out weigh the extra work as long as you have an extra bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Lads, if you haven't started batch priming then start now, best method by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ferg44

I've been using the 3/4 tea spoon of sugar / bottle for 3 years, no problems.. can be bubbly if you use too much , but I hate a flat beer..
    for Cider I always add a v full spoon full to keep it carbonated ..
    I did the batch priming a few times , I keep meaning to do it again but Im just in the habit now of using the sugar ..
    use extra for cider though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I use DME to batch prime.

Advertisement