Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I like the Prequels.

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

AOTC is pure bad isn’t it? I think it sort of infects people’s memory of the other two cos they’re actually not that bad and ROTS is pretty good. But the middle child making a show of the whole family. It’s really bad.

Clone wars series is great isn’t it? Tons of amazing stuff in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

david75 wrote: »
    AOTC is pure bad isn’t it? I think it sort of infects people’s memory of the other two cos they’re actually not that bad and ROTS is pretty good. But the middle child making a show of the whole family. It’s really bad.

Clone wars series is great isn’t it? Tons of amazing stuff in there.

I was reading that Darth Plaugius was actually alive in TPM. Shame that he wasn’t shown and included in the story. I know Lucas kept Palpatine in the shadows until ROTS but it certainly would of livened up the first prequel.

Could of had it just before Darth Maul goes hunting for Amidala. A disturbance in the force when they meet Anakin, Palps uses it as to kick off his power move.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I was reading that Darth Plaugius was actually alive in TPM. Shame that he wasn’t shown and included in the story. I know Lucas kept Palpatine in the shadows until ROTS but it certainly would of livened up the first prequel.

Could of had it just before Darth Maul goes hunting for Amidala. A disturbance in the force when they meet Anakin, Palps uses it as to kick off his power move.

Are you reading the Plageuis book? It’s very wordy but really good. I *think* Palps has just killed him as TPM starts, it’s been a while. It’s not a canon book anymore which is a shame but there’s no reason they won’t bring him back in somehow. It’s as much a back story about Palpatine growing up and gettin into politics as it is about Plageuis and his recruiting a young Palpatine as his apprentice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Are you reading the Plageuis book? It’s very wordy but really good. I *think* Palps has just killed him as TPM starts, it’s been a while. It’s not a canon book anymore which is a shame but there’s no reason they won’t bring him back in somehow. It’s as much a back story about Palpatine growing up and gettin into politics as it is about Plageuis and his recruiting a young Palpatine as his apprentice
    Palpatine kills him after Plagueis gets drunk celebrating Palpatine being made High Chancellor, so right at the end of TPM.

Quite a lot off Star Wars is about subsequently covering the arse of whoever made up some ****e. Plagueis is one of the best examples of that with some of the most silly ****e. Best as in it does a good job and not the best example of silly ****e.
    Midichlorians and Anakin's virgin birth.

Gbear wrote: »
    Palpatine kills him after Plagueis gets drunk celebrating Palpatine being made High Chancellor, so right at the end of TPM.

Quite a lot off Star Wars is about subsequently covering the arse of whoever made up some ****e. Plagueis is one of the best examples of that with some of the most silly ****e. Best as in it does a good job and not the best example of silly ****e.
    Midichlorians and Anakin's virgin birth.

Your spoiler-Does it cover that? Was it them two what done it? I can’t recall

Your spoiler-Does it cover that? Was it them two what done it? I can’t recall
    I think the upshot is that Plagueis is a finance guy with the Muun Banking clan but mostly sits in the shadows, while he grooms Palpatine to become politically active and eventually they get him into the Senate and then on to the High Chancellor's seat.

I can't recall the details, but funding and contacts are surely part of what Plagueis provides.

The whole force baby thing was about Plagueis manipulating the midichlorians to create life, but it happened somewhere and he was never able to track it down. I can't recall was it revealed to either of them in the book that it's Anakin. I think he also killed some guy using the force and then brought him back to life. He didn't choke him or whatever. He just made him dead.

Right thanks! I do remember it sort of suggesting that
    they had actually created Anakin but as you said couldn’t track down where the birth was

It’s a *little* into the wacky bad extreme that the old EU books were famous for but at least far more interesting than any of the rest of it.

Right thanks! I do remember it sort of suggesting that
    they had actually created Anakin but as you said couldn’t track down where the birth was

It’s a *little* into the wacky bad extreme that the old EU books were famous for but at least far more interesting than any of the rest of it.

I think the problem was establishing that Anakin was space jesus and that there were midichlorians in the first place. After that it was just trying to shovel ****e into a prettier pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m not reading them, but I have a load of them by the bedisie on my to do list. Started down a Star Wars rabbit hole on YouTube and ended up watching stuff about Palpatines past.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m not reading them, but I have a load of them by the bedisie on my to do list. Started down a Star Wars rabbit hole on YouTube and ended up watching stuff about Palpatines past.

Gonna sound hypocritical from me but for your own enjoyment just avoid YouTube when it comes to Star Wars. It’s weirdos in their bedrooms making money off creating utter bull****. It’s totally misleading and toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Gbear wrote: »

The whole force baby thing was about Plagueis manipulating the midichlorians to create life, but it happened somewhere and he was never able to track it down. I can't recall was it revealed to either of them in the book that it's Anakin. I think he also killed some guy using the force and then brought him back to life. He didn't choke him or whatever. He just made him dead.

Mind blown... I never copped that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Not to rain on the parade but that book was among those jettisoned from canon. But that said Plageuis is a hugely popular character so you may see him brought back in at some point in some form.

Not to rain on the parade but that book was among those jettisoned from canon. But that said Plageuis is a hugely popular character so you may see him brought back in at some point in some form.

Like the Darth Bane trilogy I think it's one of those that's in limbo.

I think you can near enough take it as canon. It's unlikely that they'll be significantly retconned. At worst, they'll be left alone as stories.

It's not like the post Endor stories that had to all be destroyed for the new canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spndlewick

The prequels aren't BAD films, not Tommy Wiseau bad, really they just suffered from George Lucas having an immunity form editors, when the originals were made, Lucas was bouncing ideas of the likes of Spielberg, Coppola, Lawrence Kasdan among others (as I'm sure they did with him) - and remember, the scripts for Empire and Jedi (where the films have a great deal more depth) were penned by other writers, not Lucas. this sort of collaboration tended to let good ideas accumulate and pare away weaker ones.

The prequels were a great example of why you shouldn't surround yourself with yes men - however, there is still the cores of three solid films in there. The other problem was a TOTAL lack of chemistry between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman. Personally, I think Joel Edgerton, who payed young uncle owen might have been a very solid Anakin Skywalker,

• Advertisement
Advertisement