We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

I like the Prequels.

2

Comments

  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    To be completely fair being constantly insistent that your opinion is the only one that matters is also a bit pathetic. We both have previous on that Tony. Mine is usually about canon but yours is about your opinion.

    **** this. Can we not just be cool and talk Star Wars? What we do like rather than complaining??

    Where the hell have I ever said this?

    Just because someone expresses an opinion on a given matter, it doesn't mean that they think it's "only one that matters".

    That's such a remarkable leap in logic.

    As far as "talking Star Wars" in concerned, we were "talking Star Wars". But "talking Star Wars" doesn't mean that everyone is going to be in lockstep opinion wise.


  • #2


    Drumpot wrote: »
    That’s called projecting Tony, let me explain what that is in your case.

    You came to a thread where a person started a thread about movies they liked and you insulted them. Your First post was a picture suggesting they should shoot themself and then share a personal opinion that the movies the OP likes are embarrassments to fans. You say this As if you speak for everybody. Then you accuse me of not being able to accept or respect other peoples opinions which you clearly don’t.

    Oh man up FFS.

    The OP literally said "shoot me". The gif was joke.

    You sound ridiculous.
    I like the Prequels.

    Shoot me.


  • #2


    Tony EH wrote: »
    Oh man up FFS.

    The OP literally said "shoot me". The gif was joke.

    You sound ridiculous.

    You don’t even see how you type.

    “You sound ridiculous” in your opinion

    “Prequels were embarrassment to fans” in your opinion.

    Your posts are littered with opinions stated as matter of fact and your crusade through all Star Wars movies , lambasting them before they are even released is tiresome. The universe won’t please you while Disney own it. You know it , we know it, just move on already.

    Having a different of opinion is fine. But you repeat yourself over and over and over again. And you apply completely different set of rules for the originals and won’t let anybody highlight your double standards so you accuse them of pissing on the Sacred OT.

    You don’t want to discuss this universe you just want to go around telling everybody why they are muck and why everything Disney have done or will do is muck.

    I don’t see the point in discussing anything with you but it’s impossinke to join a Star Wars thread without you joining it to just piss on whatever is being discussed.


  • #2


    You're not "discussing" anything.

    You're whinging like a little girl, because someone doesn't agree with you about a Star Wars film.

    That DOES sound ridiculous.

    Get a grip on yourself.


  • #2


    I’m waiting on the late late with a big smile on my face.

    Hope you’re all having a good night:)


  • #2


    Tony EH wrote: »
    You're not "discussing" anything.

    You're whinging like a little girl, because someone doesn't agree with you about a Star Wars film.

    That DOES sound ridiculous.

    Get a grip on yourself.

    Come on Tony, at least try and learn something ...

    “You’re whinging like a little girl, in my opinion”....

    “That does sound ridiculous , in my opinion”....


  • #2


    Don't you think you've derailed the thread enough?


  • #2


    Tony EH wrote: »
    Don't you think you've derailed the thread enough?

    I think I made my point.


  • #2


    Tony EH wrote: »
    Don't you think you've derailed the thread enough?

    I’ll refer you to the thread title and the point of the thread.
    You have totally derailed it.


  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    I’ll refer you to the thread title and the point of the thread.
    You have totally derailed it.

    How is writing one's opinion on the subject matter derailing the thread?

    And BTW, I wasn't the first one to write a negative post about it either.

    Not only that, YOU actually asked for my opinon on the matter.
    david75 wrote: »
    No redeeming features for you at all Tony?


  • #2


    A post about what you do like (about the prequels in this case) rather than endless endless posts about what you don’t would be a start.
    I don’t get cynicism as a default setting. There’s something good even in the biggest failures creatively. The prequels weren’t failures. They were mangled but they told Anakins story.
    Posting opinion as fact is a different matter. That’s your own thing I’ve no interest in getting into that.
    Shouting at and over people that they’re wrong for liking something coz you don’t like it is really ****ty. And I’ve experienced that off you and boards countless times.
    I wanna talk about the story and what’s going on. X comes in and berates me or whoever for even liking it.
    IF you don’t see that read back over the threads for TLJ or TFA. You’re consistent on this.

    Why even bother if you hate it so much? Why?? Answer that.

    I hate this stuff I just wanna explore it all.


  • #2


    Whatever about the movies, r/prequelmemes is fantastic. That's what I assumed this thread was going to be about


  • #2


    You like prequels the way Anakin doesn't like sand.

    Return of the Sith is tolerable. The first two are beyond awful.


  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    A post about what you do like (about the prequels in this case) rather than endless endless posts about what you don’t would be a start.

    I posted what I liked.

    The problem with the prequels is that it's overwhelmed, unfortunately, by the bad stuff.


  • #2


    Less of the infighting please folks.


  • #2


    It’s veru hard to justify the prequels and I scratch my head when people do.

    Ignoring the preposterous litany of coincidences and conveniences that link to the OT, the films are heavily flawed in a number of aspects.

    Character development is non existent. The exception being, sadly, Anakin but for him it’s accommodated by what’s not shown onscreen. Which equates to awful writing.

    None of the protagonists have any charisma which makes routing for them hard to do. Some are downright boring.

    The acting is weak which I blame on the over reliance of CG and poor writing.

    The films are far too long.

    I hate sand.


  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    Theres loads and loads to love in the prequels.

    I’m just watching ROTJ this morning and had forgotten that the story finishes for Vader exactly how it started.

    Palestine’s potential new apprentice arrives. Has a choice to make and doesn’t want to fight. Vader’s/Windu’s arm is chopped off. The emperor tries to kill Windu/luke and Vader is the difference both times.

    I love when you forget these things and it’s nearly like you’ve just copped it!


  • #2


    faceman wrote: »
    It’s veru hard to justify the prequels and I scratch my head when people do.

    Ignoring the preposterous litany of coincidences and conveniences that link to the OT, the films are heavily flawed in a number of aspects.

    Character development is non existent. The exception being, sadly, Anakin but for him it’s accommodated by what’s not shown onscreen. Which equates to awful writing.

    None of the protagonists have any charisma which makes routing for them hard to do. Some are downright boring.

    The acting is weak which I blame on the over reliance of CG and poor writing.

    The films are far too long.

    I hate sand.

    They are what they are. You can either discard them or try and take what you can from them. Since they are part of canon I don’t see the benefit of hating on them. There are things to like about them.


  • #2


    Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m just watching ROTJ this morning and had forgotten that the story finishes for Vader exactly how it started.

    Palestine’s potential new apprentice arrives. Has a choice to make and doesn’t want to fight. Vader’s/Windu’s arm is chopped off. The emperor tries to kill Windu/luke and Vader is the difference both times.

    I love when you forget these things and it’s nearly like you’ve just copped it!


    Well spotted.

    In ROTJ palpatine is lookibg to replace Vader with Luke. But in the Lucas’ original draft, and in ESB and the final draft of ROTJ, Vader is serious about luke joining him and they overthrow Palpatine and take over.

    Had this happened, you have an interesting situation. Cos Luke isn’t evil or in any way dark at all. And he had broken through and ‘reached’ Anakin at that point but wasn’t aware of it.
    He went to save his father. So if they overthrew Palpatine and took over, you probably would have had a benevolent dictatorship for the galaxy rather than outright despot authoritarianism


  • #2


    Rewatched the prequels there with my gf as she had never seen them, she enjoyed TPM (bar Jar Jar) and ROTS, she hated AotC.
    I'll admit that ROTS and TPM weren't half as bad as I remember (there were nuggets of two decent films in there, the whole story of Anakin joining Palpatine effectively "to save" Padme) but my god AotC really was dull (the Jedi Royal Rumble was fun, but that was it - only reason i liked the Count Dooku character is because I'd watched the Clone Wars series, he is pretty meh in the movie)

    The score was amazing though in all 3


  • #2


    AOTC is pure bad isn’t it? I think it sort of infects people’s memory of the other two cos they’re actually not that bad and ROTS is pretty good. But the middle child making a show of the whole family. It’s really bad.

    Clone wars series is great isn’t it? Tons of amazing stuff in there.


  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    AOTC is pure bad isn’t it? I think it sort of infects people’s memory of the other two cos they’re actually not that bad and ROTS is pretty good. But the middle child making a show of the whole family. It’s really bad.

    Clone wars series is great isn’t it? Tons of amazing stuff in there.

    I was reading that Darth Plaugius was actually alive in TPM. Shame that he wasn’t shown and included in the story. I know Lucas kept Palpatine in the shadows until ROTS but it certainly would of livened up the first prequel.

    Could of had it just before Darth Maul goes hunting for Amidala. A disturbance in the force when they meet Anakin, Palps uses it as to kick off his power move.


  • #2


    Drumpot wrote: »
    I was reading that Darth Plaugius was actually alive in TPM. Shame that he wasn’t shown and included in the story. I know Lucas kept Palpatine in the shadows until ROTS but it certainly would of livened up the first prequel.

    Could of had it just before Darth Maul goes hunting for Amidala. A disturbance in the force when they meet Anakin, Palps uses it as to kick off his power move.

    Are you reading the Plageuis book? It’s very wordy but really good. I *think* Palps has just killed him as TPM starts, it’s been a while. It’s not a canon book anymore which is a shame but there’s no reason they won’t bring him back in somehow. It’s as much a back story about Palpatine growing up and gettin into politics as it is about Plageuis and his recruiting a young Palpatine as his apprentice


  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    Are you reading the Plageuis book? It’s very wordy but really good. I *think* Palps has just killed him as TPM starts, it’s been a while. It’s not a canon book anymore which is a shame but there’s no reason they won’t bring him back in somehow. It’s as much a back story about Palpatine growing up and gettin into politics as it is about Plageuis and his recruiting a young Palpatine as his apprentice
    Palpatine kills him after Plagueis gets drunk celebrating Palpatine being made High Chancellor, so right at the end of TPM.

    Quite a lot off Star Wars is about subsequently covering the arse of whoever made up some ****e. Plagueis is one of the best examples of that with some of the most silly ****e. Best as in it does a good job and not the best example of silly ****e.
    Midichlorians and Anakin's virgin birth.


  • #2


    Gbear wrote: »
    Palpatine kills him after Plagueis gets drunk celebrating Palpatine being made High Chancellor, so right at the end of TPM.

    Quite a lot off Star Wars is about subsequently covering the arse of whoever made up some ****e. Plagueis is one of the best examples of that with some of the most silly ****e. Best as in it does a good job and not the best example of silly ****e.
    Midichlorians and Anakin's virgin birth.


    Your spoiler-Does it cover that? Was it them two what done it? I can’t recall


  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    Your spoiler-Does it cover that? Was it them two what done it? I can’t recall
    I think the upshot is that Plagueis is a finance guy with the Muun Banking clan but mostly sits in the shadows, while he grooms Palpatine to become politically active and eventually they get him into the Senate and then on to the High Chancellor's seat.

    I can't recall the details, but funding and contacts are surely part of what Plagueis provides.

    The whole force baby thing was about Plagueis manipulating the midichlorians to create life, but it happened somewhere and he was never able to track it down. I can't recall was it revealed to either of them in the book that it's Anakin. I think he also killed some guy using the force and then brought him back to life. He didn't choke him or whatever. He just made him dead.


  • #2


    Right thanks! I do remember it sort of suggesting that
    they had actually created Anakin but as you said couldn’t track down where the birth was

    It’s a *little* into the wacky bad extreme that the old EU books were famous for but at least far more interesting than any of the rest of it.


  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    Right thanks! I do remember it sort of suggesting that
    they had actually created Anakin but as you said couldn’t track down where the birth was

    It’s a *little* into the wacky bad extreme that the old EU books were famous for but at least far more interesting than any of the rest of it.

    I think the problem was establishing that Anakin was space jesus and that there were midichlorians in the first place. After that it was just trying to shovel ****e into a prettier pile.


  • #2


    david75 wrote: »
    Are you reading the Plageuis book? It’s very wordy but really good. I *think* Palps has just killed him as TPM starts, it’s been a while. It’s not a canon book anymore which is a shame but there’s no reason they won’t bring him back in somehow. It’s as much a back story about Palpatine growing up and gettin into politics as it is about Plageuis and his recruiting a young Palpatine as his apprentice

    I’m not reading them, but I have a load of them by the bedisie on my to do list. Started down a Star Wars rabbit hole on YouTube and ended up watching stuff about Palpatines past.


  • #2


    Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m not reading them, but I have a load of them by the bedisie on my to do list. Started down a Star Wars rabbit hole on YouTube and ended up watching stuff about Palpatines past.

    Gonna sound hypocritical from me but for your own enjoyment just avoid YouTube when it comes to Star Wars. It’s weirdos in their bedrooms making money off creating utter bull****. It’s totally misleading and toxic.


Society & Culture