Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man! I feel like a runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Week 8: Marathon Training
    This was a daunting week in the plan, with a run 6 out of the 7 days. It steps back to 4 days for a few weeks then so I knew if I could get myself through this week, I'd be laughing.

Mon 19th Feb
    Plan: 5 easy. Actual: 5.2 easy. Ran home from work, felt really stiff at the start, presumably after the cross country the day before. Stopped off in Rathgar to buy a flipbelt for the marathon, and decided to try lift the legs a little better for the rest of the journey home. Splits were a bit all over the place as a result but it felt good to stretch the legs out. (11.35, 10.25, 11.40, 9.13, 9.00). Also did a yoga class at lunchtime.

Tues 20th Feb
    Plan: 6 steady. Actual: 1 easy, 4 steady, 1 easy. Others in the club were doing this as a session so I thought I'd just join them for it instead of the full 6. Splits: 9.58, 8.40,8.28,8.37,8.24,9.18. Felt great to be honest.

Weds 21st Feb
    Plan: 5 easy. Actual: 5.3 easy. Another run from work. Such a handy way to collect miles. Avg pace 9.53/m

Thurs 22nd Feb
    Plan: 1m w/u, 6 x (1 min, 2 mins off), 1m c/d. Actual: 1m w/u, 6 x (1 min, 2 mins off), 2m c/d. Accidentally added a 2nd mile in cool down but no harm. Paces for the 1 mins were: 6.54, 7.37, 7.00, 7.20, 7.00, 6.38. Bit of a bit mixed bag but a few fell on hillier patches. Avg pace overall was 8.50/m. 
    Pilates at lunch also.

Friday 23rd Feb: A much-treasured rest day. Didn't even walk in to or home from work.

Sat 24th Feb
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: 4 easy. Shortened this as I knew I was gonna add a couple miles on the long run on Sunday, plus I'd an early physio appointment booked. Was a lovely morning for a few miles. Avg pace 9.29/m
    All good at the physio too for the sports massage, just some tightness in the left leg but nothing a few extra stretches and regular foam rolling won't sort out.

Sun 25th Feb
    Plan: 12 steady. Actual: 14 easy to steady. Did this with my brother who is gonna run with me on the day of the marathon. He is faster than me so trying to get him used to my slower pace! This was a lovely run though. Definitely on the easy to steady side, but I felt fine all the way around. My half marathon PB is 2.01 and I got under the 2 hours on this training run while feeling like I was taking it mostly easy, and chatting all the while. Seems promising for Mullingar on Paddy's Day! Avg pace overall was 9.06/m, but the last 4 miles were all in 8.40-8.56 range. 

Total miles: 40.8 
    Fingers crossed the weather won't affect my two evening runs this week!

Week 9: Marathon Training - halfway there!
    What an interesting week for running...
    Mon 26th Feb: No run, just some yoga at lunchtime.

Tues 27th Feb
    Plan: 7 miles fartlek. Actual: 7 miles, including middle 5 at slightly faster than easy pace.. Changed to this as it's what others in the club were doing and I'd rather stick with people on the club nights. Plus I didn't know yet how badly Dublin was going to get the snow, so I figured some steady-ish miles could be good where possible. Avg pace 9.14/m

Weds 28th Feb: Snow day number one. Thankfully no planned runs, but was really worried I would be forced into my first missed runs. 

Thurs 1st March
    Plan: 2m w/u, 4*1mile, 1m c/d. Actual: 5 miles easy. Had gotten a tip-off from a clubmate that UCD wasn't so bad, so I headed over there. Well. One of the most beautiful runs I've ever experienced. The snow on the ground still wasn't too deep and was compact enough to make running on it just lovely. Was delighted to get out for this. Avg pace 9.29/m

Fri 2nd March: No planned runs, did some conditioning work via YouTube. 3rd night on the gin too... forced captivity is bad for the liver. Not to mention the junk food consumption.

Sat 3rd March
    Plan: 5 easy with 6 x100m strides. Actual: 5.4 miles easy. Ugh this was awful. Headed to UCD again but it was far too deep by this point, plus the place was eerily deserted so I worried if something did happen... went around the paths / roads where I could and it was not pleasant. Avg pace 10.54/m

Sun 4th March
    Plan: 16 miles easy. Actual: 16 miles easy! Longest run ever (so far)! I knew if I wanted this done I had to head out early so I could run on the roads as opposed to the paths, and that's what I did. Took it nice and easy and some spots around Dublin were definitely worse than others, but it was so good to get out. Best thing is I never felt like I was struggling on this, even if it felt tough in parts, but I do think I could have added another few miles reasonably comfortably. Nice feeling. Avg pace 10.00/m.

Total miles: 33.4. And still no missed runs (just altered ones)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

What a week to hit your longest run ever! Nice going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done! Great achievement considering the weather. On Marathon day you’ll be thanking yourself for making yourself get out no matter what the weather was like!!!

Week 10: Marathon Training
    Mon 5th March: No running, yoga at lunchtime.

Tues 6th March
    Plan: 5 easy. Actual: Attempted to do the mile repeats I couldn't do in the snow the week before. Felt so tired and legs felt so heavy however, that I stopped after 2. So it was a 2 mile w/u, 2 fast pace miles (7.09, 7.11) and another mile to cool down. Avg pace for the whole run was 9.01/m.

Weds 7th March
    Plan: Rest. Actual: 5.6 easy. Ran home from work. Was playing around with run days as I wanted to do my long run on Saturday as opposed to Sunday this week. Was lovely. Avg pace 10.21/m (didn't bother pause the watch at red lights...)

Thurs 8th March
    Plan: 5 easy. Actual: 5 easy. Avg pace 9.26/m. Felt great for this once I got going, had been feeling very very tired on the way to training. Funny how that happens sometimes. Also did pilates at lunch time.

Fri 9th March: Rest day. And pizza.

Sat 10th March
    Plan: 5 easy (which I had done on Weds instead). Actual: Sunday's long run. Plan was 16 easy for that, but I decided to run to Cabinteely, do parkrun, and run home. I wanted to try out half marathon pace for parkrun, but I went a bit fast, really hard to judge it with the hills. Parkrun miles were 8.18, 7.57 and 7.50. I wanted to aim for 8.10-8.20. Anyway, total run was 17 miles (I was at 16.6 outside my house so obviously I just had to tack on the extra .4!), and average pace overall 9.13/m. I paused for maybe 4/5 mins before parkrun. Felt great in the run overall!

Total miles: 33.7. 

Next week, I am running Mullingar half marathon on St Patrick's Day. Plan is sub 1.50, ideally 1.48 something! My previous PB is 2.01 in September but I'm fairly sure that day I could have been 4 or 5 minutes quicker that day.I had taken a very cautious approach. Hopefully I can attack this one pretty well with all the training since Sept, and sure, I've written it here now to hold myself accountable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Looking at your training paces I'd say you're a certainty to get well sub 1:50. Best of luck, give it socks and enjoy the hurt.

Week 11: Marathon Training
    Mon 12th March
    Plan: Rest. Actual: rest, and yoga at lunchtime.

Tues 13th March
    Plan: 2m jog, 4m steady, 1m jog. Actual: 2m jog, 4m steady, 1.5m jog. Steady miles were 8.40, 8.45, 8.32 and 8.35. Felt pretty good.

Weds 14th March: Rest

Thurs 15th March
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: 6.5 easy. Average pace 9.18/m. Threw in a few strides over the last bit.

Fri 16th March: rest.

Sat 17th March: HALF-MARATHON DAY
    I've been reading some excellent race reports on here recently, so I shall attempt to write a more detailed account than I've previously done...

It was bitterly cold arriving in Mullingar and I was frozen collecting the race number, and that was with all my layers still on. I'd decided on a short-sleeve t-shirt under my singlet, as I'd overheated with a long-sleeved one in Raheny, but I was wondering if that was a sill decision. Thankfully I'd chosen 3/4 pants instead of shorts anyway. 
    Didn't do a huge warm-up although I didn't track my jogging to keep warm, but probably about 1km total and the usual stretches. Anyway, lined up between the 1.45 and 2.00 hour pacers. As mentioned in my previous post, I was hoping for 1.48.xx so keeping between 8.10-8.20 pace. My plan for the first mile was to stay closer to the 8.20 and not get dragged off by people pelting it by.

Miles 1-3 (8.23, 8.08, 8.07)
    Mile 1 went to plan heading up the main street, letting those who wanted to fly off go, and finding my own pace as we went up the slight hill and headed out towards St. Loman's. I couldn't feel my arms within about half a mile so I decided to just accept that and forget about the cold. I can always tell pretty quickly in a race if I'm going to struggle all the way, or if I'm feeling good, and I knew after mile 1 that I was up for this. I was feeling comfortable and strong. Consciously chose to up the pace slightly for mile 2 to even it out at 8.15 or so for the first two miles. Was happy with 25.xx at the 5k point.

Miles 4-6 (8.08, 8.07, 8.04)
    I was planning on a gel at Mile 5 so I'd broken the race into 3 blocks in my head (5 miles, 5 miles and a 3 miler). There was a surprise little hill at mile 4 as we headed out into the bog, but otherwise I don't remember a whole lot about these miles, apart from realising I'd been steadily passing people since the second mile. I took the planned gel at mile 5 without any issues. Also noticed here that the pace on the watch couldn't be trusted in some parts where the GPS must have been dodgy; it was dropping to 9.55 pace and I knew my effort hadn't changed! (Or else everyone around me happened to slow at the same rate :)) Anyway, got to the 10k mark (to the sounds of Maniac 2000) in about 50 minutes. Gave myself a virtual pat on the back when I thought how hard I'd fought for a 50 min 10k last June, and here I was doing it with relative comfort.

Miles 7-9 (8.12, 8.08, 8.13)
    The WIND. The wind hit me hard here I think, especially heading over the flyover, which for some reason I forgot we had to go over, and I also never thought about it being such a hill. There was nice support out here though, people are great. I decided to hit this hill with some extra effort and get past a few people. No idea why, but I generally like to get the hills done with. Once over this, we were onto the canal route and the sun actually made an appearance! I was still feeling pretty good, but was wondering if I should take my second gel sooner than the 10 mile mark, so in the end I took it at 9.5 miles.

Miles 10-12 (8.04, 8.02, 8.07)
    In my ideal scenario, I'd have loved to hit it hard after 10 miles, and to be honest I was feeling great at the end of mile 10. It was the end of mile 11 where the demons entered my brain and said I could afford to slow a bit and still hit the 1.48 target. I hate those thoughts, so I did a body check: breath was fine, legs were fine, maybe just some tiredness but that was to be expected. I was just ticking along the canal and did notice now some people had been conserving energy and were passing me back out. I ignored them and stuck to my pace, more worried now about slowing than speeding up!

Mile 13 and .1 (7.59 and 6.56 pace)
    I look at those paces and don't understand! I was really giving myself a talking to for the last mile, reminding myself how annoyed I will be later on if I slow down now! We came back into the town, and on the last stretch of road before turning into the park for the finish, was my father ready to cheer me on. Its incredible how that support can really lift you! I turned into the park and bombed it down the last straight, I think I might have passed about 10 people on it (possible exaggeration :)), but I definitely didn't hold back! 
    Chip time 1.46.54. To say I am pleased is an understatement!!! Approx 15 mins quicker than my last half :) It was a mainly flat course, but the conditions weren't perfect so I am very pleased! This also means I might now aim for a sub4 marathon... scary!
    Headed to watch the match and enjoy a couple of drinks, and mountains of food...

Sunday 18th March
    Plan: 8 miles easy. Actual: 8 miles easy. Wasn't sure I'd be able to do this when I saw the snow, but thankfully it was pretty much gone in the midlands but afternoon, so I headed out. Took it nice and handy, average pace 9.50/m. I suppose the idea of this run on the club plan is to run on tired legs, and also keep the mileage up for the week.

Total mileage: 35.5 (and a new PB :))

Brilliant race! Well done you! Enjoyed reading the report too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I love race reports and they're even better when they end with a result as good as that one - two minutes quicker than hoped for. Fantastic racing! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant time, race and report. Well done!

• Advertisement

Ah wow that's incredible! Great going, fair play to you. Lovely report too, sounds like you handled it perfectly. You must be over the moon!

Week 12: Marathon Training
    Mon 19th March
    Plan: Rest. Actual: 5 easy. This was Wednesday's run done early as I knew I wouldn't be able to get out for one then. Felt fine, and ended up being a progression run accidentally. Average pace 9.27/m. 

Tues 20th March
    Plan: 7 miles fartlek. Actual: 6 easyish. Legs felt tired so I just ran and let the club drag me around really! Average pace 9.11/m so a bit harder than easy but still ok.

Weds 21st March
    Plan: 5 easy. Actual: Nothing, as it was done on Monday. Yoga at lunchtime and it was exactly what my legs needed.

Thurs 22nd March
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: Saturday's speed session. More switching to cater for my weekend plans. 2 mile warm up, then 3 x 500s (paces were 6.54, 6.46, 6.46) with 70 seconds recovery, then 3 x 200s (paces 6.18, 6.32, 6.27) with 60 seconds recovery. And a mile to cool down. Was delighted with this to be honest. I am sure the people who live around the green where I did it think I'm mad, but so be it.
    Had also done Pilates at lunchtime, great class.

Friday 23rd March: Rest.

Sat 24th March
    Plan: Speedwork (done already). Actual: Sunday's long run. Plan had 14 miles steady, but I didn't feel up to that so said I'd do easy. Ran to Tymon park for parkrun there (only got lost once...) and ended up running it a little more steady than easy (26 something), and then home again. 15 miles total (average 9.13/m). Nice to be out in shorts again, that sun was hot! Felt pretty good for this, and immediately afterwards... but then by night my knee felt wrong somehow. 

Sunday 25th March
    Plan: Long run (already done). Actual: 4 miles recovery (9.55/m). So my knee still felt funny all day (was helping out at Craughwell 10 event) and I just couldn't put my finger out. Had done a lot of driving at the weekend so wasn't sure if that hadn't helped? Went for the recovery run and noticed that if I went a bit faster the ache near the knee felt less... which can't be good... went to Dr Google, and it seems the hamstring might be most likely, or the hips, so I did a good few extra pilates-type exercises last night and this morning. Have booked a physio tonight too, as I am so worried about this. 6 weeks to the marathon, this CAN'T be happening :( 

Total miles: 36.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Week 12: Marathon Training

Sunday 25th March
    Plan: Long run (already done). Actual: 4 miles recovery (9.55/m). So my knee still felt funny all day (was helping out at Craughwell 10 event) and I just couldn't put my finger out. Had done a lot of driving at the weekend so wasn't sure if that hadn't helped? Went for the recovery run and noticed that if I went a bit faster the ache near the knee felt less... which can't be good... went to Dr Google, and it seems the hamstring might be most likely, or the hips, so I did a good few extra pilates-type exercises last night and this morning. Have booked a physio tonight too, as I am so worried about this. 6 weeks to the marathon, this CAN'T be happening :( 

Total miles: 36.4

Hope the physio helped. I've my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Try not to worry. One session might fix it. My knee went before Xmas. Suddenly couldn’t run more than 5km. It took one session and it was my hip and IT Band and was back running normally again.

Will hope for the best for you.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Try not to worry. One session might fix it. My knee went before Xmas. Suddenly couldn’t run more than 5km. It took one session and it was my hip and IT Band and was back running normally again.

Will hope for the best for you.
    Thanks, turns out I am an idiot who never foam rolls her quads.. or stretches them properly.. ever.
    Physio session was good and I'm ok to keep running, but will head back to the physio next week to continue getting them loosened out. Mad what even one session can do!

Thanks, turns out I am an idiot who never foam rolls her quads.. or stretches them properly.. ever.
    Physio session was good and I'm ok to keep running, but will head back to the physio next week to continue getting them loosened out. Mad what even one session can do!

Well that’s great news. I’m a disaster too for that side of things! I promise I’ll do it and just never remember.

Week 14: Marathon Training
    Finding it crazy that I'm into the last 5 weeks of training for Limerick. 
    Mon 26 March
    Planned rest, and went to the physio after work as mentioned. He fairly lay into my right quad, I actually cursed at him and then he recommended a return visit as he apparently "hadn't gone that hard". Could have fooled me! He also showed me a good quad stretch which I've been trying to do every day a number of times a day, as well as plenty of foam rolling.

Tues 21st March
    Plan: 7 miles fartlek. Actual: 7 miles easy, avg pace 9.19/m. Knee / quad felt mostly ok, and I was making sure I kept to easy pace. Was travelling for work so it was laps around a very dull industrial estate... needs must etc. Didn't have my foam roller with me (bit big for a suitcase :ermm:) so I used a glass in the room... not very comfortable but it was definitely doing something!

Weds 22nd March: Rest.

Thurs 23rd March
    Plan: Mile repeats. Actual: nothing as I was flying home.

Fri 24th March
    Plan: Rest. Actual: Thursday's session. Wasn't sure if it was a good idea given the quad situation, but I attempted it. Canned it after 2 of the mile repeats, as my head wasn't in it at all. Plus the quad was stiffening a little.. the mile repeats I did were 7.27 and 7.10, so I did push a fair bit. Did 7 miles total.

Sat 25th March
    Long run day! Plan was 16 easy on Sunday, but I did 18 easy instead!! Was a gorgeous morning for a run, did it with my brother again who'll be running with me on the day. Average pace was 9.08/m but that's skewed a little by the parkrun to finish and as usual, I lost the run of myself :silly: Knee / quad felt funny for the few miles but totally loosened out by the end. I was very stiff by Saturday evening though, so did even more stretching and rolling, and it seemed fine again by Sunday. Didn't do a recovery run though as I just thought I needed that rest for the leg. 

Total mileage: 32. Bit lower than other weeks recently but given the quad issues I don't see any harm, only good. 
    Back to the physio today at lunchtime to keep the loosening going well. 
    Had an extra boost too in checking the fundraising this morning: €4000!!!! No backing out of this marathon now...

That was an excellent long run and impressive that you could up the pace for parkrun at the end. What pace are you planning on doing the marathon at?

Brilliant work on the fundraising too.

Nearly taper time!!

I am thinking 8.55-9.00/m pace. I want to aim for 3.55 or thereabouts.. BUT at the same time I do want to enjoy it. The main reason for this is to fundraise and remember someone very special, so I don't want to be miserable by mile 20. Plenty to ponder on the next few weeks!

I am thinking 8.55-9.00/m pace. I want to aim for 3.55 or thereabouts.. BUT at the same time I do want to enjoy it. The main reason for this is to fundraise and remember someone very special, so I don't want to be miserable by mile 20. Plenty to ponder on the next few weeks!

Judging by your training paces you shouldn’t have a problem. I have the same attitude as you in terms of enjoying it. What got me on my first marathon last year was nutrition and fueling. I started struggling at around 19 miles and started walking at 21. I got handed a Mars Bar and at it and not long after I picked up again and had a nice strong finish. I’d been taking isogels every 45 mins on the advice of a friend but I needed them more often. In Dublin then, I took them every 30 mins and never ran out of steam.

Just don’t let yourself get carried away going too fast at the start. Let everybody else belt on past you and you’ll be passing them all out then in the second half. Save your energy as much as you can.

• Advertisement

Just don’t let yourself get carried away going too fast at the start. Let everybody else belt on past you and you’ll be passing them all out then in the second half. Save your energy as much as you can. 

Yeah, I'm generally ok with not letting that happen, plus my brother is running it with me so he should keep me on the straight and narrow too! Thanks for all the advice! Haven't fully decided on how often to take the gels yet, had been thinking every 50 mins or so but maybe that's too far apart. I don't want a tummy full of them either.

Yeah, I'm generally ok with not letting that happen, plus my brother is running it with me so he should keep me on the straight and narrow too! Thanks for all the advice! Haven't fully decided on how often to take the gels yet, had been thinking every 50 mins or so but maybe that's too far apart. I don't want a tummy full of them either.

Worth doing a practice run taking the gels to see how your tummy copes with them. High 5 Isogels are the only ones I can cope with on an ongoing basis. Others used start effecting my tummy after a couple of hours.

Realised last week was actually week 13, so a repeat title of week 14...!
    Week 14: Marathon Training
    Mon 2nd Apr: Nice rest day for a bank holiday. Lots of eating too. 

Tues 3rd Apr
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: 6 easy at avg pace 9.31/m. Delighted to have the bright evenings in the park back.
    Had returned to the physio at lunchtime that day to check all was still ok with the quads, and rub them out a bit more. All positive thankfully, once I keep rolling and stretching them well! 

Weds 4th Apr: Rest day, but a lovely yoga class at lunchtime.

Thurs 5th Apr
    Plan: 7 easy. Actual: 7 tempo. For whatever reason I was itching to run a bit steadier so I just allowed it and enjoyed it. Downside was my right quad was super tight again afterwards, but the rolling and stretching sorted it quick enough. Avg pace 8.51/m. 

Fri 5th Apr: rest day. Had planned for a yoga class at lunchtime but work got in the way unfortunately.

Sat 6th Apr
    Plan: 300s and 200s. Actual: 5 easy / steady. I ditched the speedwork given how tight my leg had been after the steady miles on Thursday, didn't think faster pace again would be nice. (Does it really take much persuasion to ditch a speed session though?!). Headed to Poppintree parkrun where my sister regularly runs, couple of handy miles beforehand and then ran steadier than intended while we chatted around parkrun. Lovely parkrun I have say, and the motivational crew near the start/finish area had me feeling like a professional athlete! Parkrun avg pace 8.31/m. Weirdly no tightness after these steady miles. 

Sun 7th Apr
    Plan: 18 easy. Actual: 18 easy! Second 18 miler, was way harder but I suspect the higher temps and eh also running up the Wicklow Way for a bit contributed to that! Just have to remind myself that I did it and it's normal (I guess) to be feeling tired at this point. Avg pace 10.10/m, and my leg wasn't as stiff as after last week's 18 miles. 

Total mileage: 36.3. Very happy with that.
    4 weeks to go! Insane. Next week is "the big one" i.e. 20 miles. I think I want to run 21 instead though just for my head, but let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Just rejoining the boards now and enjoyed reading your log - I loved your half marathon report and your improvements from last year are inspiring . Hope the rest of the marathon training goes well - sounds like your in for a nice race!

Second 18 miler, was way harder but I suspect the higher temps and eh also running up the Wicklow Way for a bit contributed to that!

Oh I'd say it might have alright :eek: :eek:

Well done on a great week, it's great to see that the leg niggle doesn't seem to be causing too much trouble now.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Just rejoining the boards now and enjoyed reading your log - I loved your half marathon report and your improvements from last year are inspiring . Hope the rest of the marathon training goes well - sounds like your in for a nice race!
    Thank you! I read your log quite a bit before starting my own, and in the lead up to my own sub-50 goal race!

Week 15: Marathon Training
    Mon 9th Apr: Yoga at lunchtime, no running.

Tues 10th Apr
    Plan: 6 steady. Actual: 1 easy, 5 steady, 1 easy. I was so tired for this and my legs felt heavy. Didn't think I'd manage the steady miles but attempted it from mile 2 and somehow found the energy. Did it solo thanks to stupid work stuff. Steady miles were 9.01, 8.40, 8.47, 8.52 and 8.12. 

Weds 11th Apr
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: 6 easy. Ran home from work, always enjoy that. Avg pace 9.33/m. Yoga at lunchtime also.

Thurs 12th Apr
    Plan: 2 x 3 MP, plus w/u and c/d. Actual: 3.6 easy. I did a warm up mile but as soon as I tried to push the pace a pain seared through my right knee again, but this time to the point where I was running with a limp. I stopped, cursed a little, stretched a little, and tried it again but no luck. Continued running easy pace for a bit until I felt good again but as soon as I tried to up the pace my leg was screaming no. It's my own fault. I'd run the previous two days but hadn't gone near the foam roller even though I know I'd had quad issues the last two weeks. Spent a lot of time on the foam roller and doing other stretches that night, and there was no pain by the time I finished.

Fri 13th Apr: Rest day.

Sat 14th Apr
    Plan: 6 easy. Actual: 2 easy, and a parkrun with easy to steady pace.. Having spent more time Friday night stretching and rolling, my leg felt great on Saturday morning again. I did try keep it easy for parkrun, but into mile 2 of it I just picked up the pace and then decided to go for negative miles. It felt great though, and was a smashing morning. Avg pace on parkrun was 8.25/m.

Sun 15th Apr
    Plan: 20 easy. Actual: 21 easy!! Whoop! So happy to have done it and didn't really lose pace at all, averaged at 9.49 which I think is a sensible pace?! The weather was rotten this morning, but to be honest I think I would pick that over being too hot! Took 3 gels (miles 7, 13 and 18), may not have needed the 3rd really but wanted to at least have tried more than 2 gels in a training run before the big day. Knee / quad was a little stiff at the start but overall fine. I can't get over how tired I have been all day though, been pretty useless for anything since! Forced myself on to the foam roller anyway.

Total miles: 43.1. Tired, but feeling good.

I think I'll book a physio trip again this week just to be safe re the quad, would certainly be no harm. I really need to decide on my planned MP too.. I'd had 8.55-9.00 in mind, but my brother reckons I can aim for 8.40 given my Mullingar half time... decisions, decisions.

Well done - especially on the 21 miles.

I’d definitely go for physio soon just to get a final check and rub down and make sure everything is in ship shape. It’s a confidence boost too.

I sit and play with paces and calculations for hours - bit nerdy that way :-) Anyway, I’d be inclined to say I think you should be conservative for the first 13 miles if not 16 or even upto 20 and do your 8:57 that will give you a 3:55. If you are upto it after that you can pick it up slightly then. Maybe aim for a negative split? As you said yourself before you want to enjoy this one and it is your first marathon - you will learn so much from it that you can then put towards you next marathon which you can kill.

I sit and play with paces and calculations for hours - bit nerdy that way :-) Anyway, I’d be inclined to say I think you should be conservative for the first 13 miles if not 16 or even upto 20 and do your 8:57 that will give you a 3:55. If you are upto it after that you can pick it up slightly then. Maybe aim for a negative split? As you said yourself before you want to enjoy this one and it is your first marathon - you will learn so much from it that you can then put towards you next marathon which you can kill.
    Yeah you're right, been thinking and it does seem nicer to head out at the 8.55-9.00 pace and see how I'm feeling halfway. Even if I can't pick it up but just maintain pace, I'd still be sub 4 hours. 
    Next marathon - I told my mother I'd only do the one :p she thinks they're too extreme!

• Advertisement

Yeah you're right, been thinking and it does seem nicer to head out at the 8.55-9.00 pace and see how I'm feeling halfway. Even if I can't pick it up but just maintain pace, I'd still be sub 4 hours. 
    Next marathon - I told my mother I'd only do the one :p she thinks they're too extreme!

Ha ha - I was only doing one last year too and learned so much from it that I had to do DCM and then Clonakilty just happened to be on and then it seemed a shame to not do Cork and Dublin again this year and sure Clonakilty will be on again :D I think you do Dublin ;)

If you want, you can look at my pacing for Dublin. I’d a 7 minute negative split which is way too much and I obviously had more in me but I wasn’t confident to go out any faster. I was a lot slower than you intend but I started at a 4:40 pace but did 4:20. Just picked it up every 10km or so. I’d a paceband telling me what to do and pretty much stuck to it getting a few seconds ahead each mile. Just shows how much you can pick up in the 2nd half or the last 10km if you conserve your energy. I always remember somebody saying a marathon is 2 halves - the first 20 miles and the last 6.

Advertisement