Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What tv character freaked you out as a kid?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

beans wrote: »
    E.T. used to terrify me. I'd think he'd be hiding in my teddies, behind my curtains, looking all grey and gross like when he was sick.

He was my first boogeyman.

I remember sometime before the film was released I came upon a colour full page picture of him in one of the Sunday papers, I hadn't heard of of the film yet at this stage and I remember recoiling at the sight of him. I thought for a moment he was some kind of horribly deformed child.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The giants or whatever they were supposed to be in Fraggle Rock. Especially the one called Junior because of his freaky looking staring eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Giggernaut wrote: »
    I'd have to say "Darby o Gill and the little people" scared the bejaysus out of me when I was rugrat.
    Headless horseman and freaky leprechauns left me a quivering mess,thanks alot Disney!

Freaked me out as well. :)

I was talking about that film the other day and only realised it was Sean Connery who played Micheal.

Oh and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory scared me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not kids programmes, but those ads for safety warnings in a workplace, such as a man getting electrocuted; they used to make me cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

branie2 wrote: »
    Not kids programmes, but those ads for safety warnings in a workplace, such as a man getting electrocuted; they used to make me cry.
    Or the old ad where the little boy climbs a pylon to get a football or frisbee down and gets zapped :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The witch in Disneys Sleeping Beauty. I had nightmare for months. I still rate it as one of the scariest movies of all times for young kids

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Kinder egg humpty dumpty man. Wasn't scared of him as such but did find him kind of unsettling.

Anjelica Huston in The Witches and when Pinnochio starts turning into a donkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Jafar of Alladin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Zelda and Cystar from Terrahawks, I wasn't even that young either, just scary models! I didn't like Worzel Gummidge either, and lastly the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal.
    I shudder to remember any of them.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Anjelica Huston in The Witches and when Pinnochio starts turning into a donkey!

I agree that scene on Pinnochio was among the most disturbing things i saw as a kid in fact i was freaked out by a lot of the things in Disney films in general there was a surprising amount of darkness to them which make modern childrens TV pretty tame by comparison.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not a character as such, but there was one Dr. Who story called The Green Death (Jon Pertwee's last as The Doctor) and it had a load of these giant maggots in it. It was originally broadcast in 1973 when I was nearly 6, but we didn't get our first colour TV until I was about 8 so I presume I was about that age when I saw it. Whatever age I was, those maggots really put the sh*ts up me. I think it's the only time I can ever remember actually watching TV from behind the couch.

Mutant z wrote: »
    I agree that scene on Pinnochio was among the most disturbing things i saw as a kid in fact i was freaked out by a lot of the things in Disney films in general there was a surprising amount of darkness to them which make modern childrens TV pretty tame by comparison.

I just had a quick look at it again there and it's still scary af :/:D

Saw an old horror film when I was young where a mad woman (babysitter I think) chasing a little boy around a house. When she finally caught him she drowned him in the bath tub. I had horrible nightmares about it for ages.

I remember catching a bit of a film and all I can remember was there was an infectious disease and people were stuck on a train. Looked it up there and I think it may have been The Cassandra Crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I just remembered another movie moment that gave me nightmares as a kid...
    I have no idea how I even saw it - Might have been a video rented for me.

It was called the Adventures of Mark Twain and was a claymation movie about 3 kids helping Mark Twain find Haley's Comet.

In one scene they encountered death / the devil and he teaches them about love and loss.... I actually re-watched it and it is still deeply unsettling.. I don't know how anyone signed this off for children.

Here is the clip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhgLEkgO0yo

The twins from the Shining.
    Damien from the Omen.
    Danny Glick from Salems Lot.
    The children from Village of the Damned.
    Any evil or spooky children used to scare the absolute crap out of me.

My mother had the War Of The Worlds album. I loved the music but I was terrified of it and especially the pictures from the booklet.

Or the old ad where the little boy climbs a pylon to get a football or frisbee down and gets zapped :eek:

Not that one, the ads I saw had grown men

Not that one, the ads I saw had grown men

This one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

If anyone remembers Knightmare. That wizard with the grey hair and the red stripe through it freaked me out

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Incredible Hulk on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

Zaph wrote: »
    Not a character as such, but there was one Dr. Who story called The Green Death (Jon Pertwee's last as The Doctor) and it had a load of these giant maggots in it. It was originally broadcast in 1973 when I was nearly 6, but we didn't get our first colour TV until I was about 8 so I presume I was about that age when I saw it. Whatever age I was, those maggots really put the sh*ts up me. I think it's the only time I can ever remember actually watching TV from behind the couch.

It wasn't Pertwee's last, that was the next year's faintly similar sequel story Planet of the Spiders (about hyper-evolved giant telepathic talking super-spiders from the distant future controlling a depressed businessman who runs a meditation centre in rural England). A minor plot point in the Green Death involving the blue crystal of Metebelis 3 takes on more precedence in Planet.

Green Death is about maggots, though, giant maggots created by a pollution in an incredibly stereotyped Wales (a few years later, Tom Baker's Doctor visited a similarly caricatured Loch Ness in Terror of the Zygons, sadly no visit to Ireland...)

darkdubh wrote: »

something similar to it

something similar to it

This is a British PIF but RTE showed it with a different voiceover or else their own version which was a shot for shot remake but I'd say it was the former as this is exactly how I remember it bar the voiceover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A New Zealand kids show called 'Under the Mountain'.

It was shown on RTE and UTV.

Essentially... twins had to stop these awful slithering alien mud creatures from dominating the Earth.

When the mud creatures were out of their lair, they took human form and drove around in a hearse.. but they sweated profusely and began to decompose back to mud over time.

In their lair, they slithered around in tunnels like Rainbow Rapids.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

In their lair, they slithered around in tunnels like Rainbow Rapids.

ah I remember Rainbow Rapids! I must ask my mam because I'm not sure if I ever went to it or not. Definitely remember asking to go though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

A program called "Children of the Stones" and Commander Strax in Dr Who from the 1970s

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

A program called "Children of the Stones" and Commander Strax in Dr Who from the 1970s

Children of the Stones was brilliant. It was superbly made. Very eerie for a children's programme. Kinda like a teenage Wicker Man. If I recall, the Dad was Blake out of Blake's Seven.

Much in the vein of Chocky.

There was a creepy 90s show called Earthfasts, set on the Yorkshire moors.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CreativeSen

Worzel Gummidge....still freaks me out!

• Advertisement

Moondial

Elidor - four teenagers from Manchester trying to prevent evil characters from a parallel universe breaking through to our universe. One of them was dressed like The Gimp.

Terrahawks, especially Zelda

Quatermass (1978) with John Mills

Not Strax, but Styre or Linx, surely. Strax is a NuSeries Sontaran, not a Classic.

Watership Down :/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBck3xcUJc

And Animal Farm especially when Boxer is taken away and they realise he is going to the glue factory :(

Quatermass (1978) with John Mills
    Excellent, especially the Brexitesque future, and even features a young Brenda Fricker (in probably the last "young" role she played, at 33, was already playing the mothers of grown men in things like the Music Machine, but in Quatermass, her character is supposed in her twenties, young enough to be forced into the Planet People, the suicidal space-hippy sect)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Not Strax, but Styre or Linx, surely. Strax is a NuSeries Sontaran, not a Classic.

You are right , it was Styre...Strax sparked that memory in my brain...

Styre is still scary...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

The "them bones need calcium" dude off that add terrified me

Also the Siamese cats in lady and the tramp. Horrid yokes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Lorelli! wrote: »
    And Animal Farm especially when Boxer is taken away and they realise he is going to the glue factory :(

For me moreso the scene where the pigs begin transforming into men :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zelda and Cystar from Terrahawks,
    Terrahawks, especially Zelda

even scarier in eastenders

SNF20BIZQ-380_712940a.jpg

landscape-soaps-eastenders-linda-henry-1.jpg

A villian in the A-team in one episode who got into a fight with Hannibal, and I think he choked him.

• Advertisement

There's a radio documentary about the show with Stewart Lee on Monday
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n1rbx

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

The count from Sesame Street :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Any of the aliens in the 60s sci hi series the invaders,, black and white but scary for a kid like me then, looking at an old re run last year , still creepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I used to find the plasticine figurines in wallace and gromit and those kind of movies very frightening especially when they smiled
    botzxmd8vi601.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bagpuss scared the bejaysus out of me, even now the weird colour he was freaks me a little.

The giant in this episode of Wanderly Wagon. The special effects look laughable now but I was terrified of him everytime he'd appear out of the lake getting closer and closer. He makes his first appearance at 11.40.

• Advertisement

The owl in Tales Of Beatrix Potter which I saw when I was about three or four. The fox was a bit unsettling too but that fecking owl traumatised me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Aonghus McAnally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

And Mary Kingston she'd be roaring shouting at ya ya like you were a deaf 90 year old

The Gorn from Star Trek
    Star+Trek+TOS+Arena+Gorn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

8037e38a0c3fa74abbac42d25d5f32ed.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement