Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tv character freaked you out as a kid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

The count from Sesame Street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭corks finest

Any of the aliens in the 60s sci hi series the invaders,, black and white but scary for a kid like me then, looking at an old re run last year , still creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I used to find the plasticine figurines in wallace and gromit and those kind of movies very frightening especially when they smiled
    botzxmd8vi601.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bagpuss scared the bejaysus out of me, even now the weird colour he was freaks me a little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The giant in this episode of Wanderly Wagon. The special effects look laughable now but I was terrified of him everytime he'd appear out of the lake getting closer and closer. He makes his first appearance at 11.40.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The owl in Tales Of Beatrix Potter which I saw when I was about three or four. The fox was a bit unsettling too but that fecking owl traumatised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Aonghus McAnally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭smilerf

And Mary Kingston she'd be roaring shouting at ya ya like you were a deaf 90 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Gorn from Star Trek
    Star+Trek+TOS+Arena+Gorn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

8037e38a0c3fa74abbac42d25d5f32ed.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I used to find the opening sequence of HR Puffinstuff unsettling when the boat changes and the sky goes dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was scared sh1tless of bagpuss

• Registered Users Posts: 24,216 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The banshee from Darby O Gill... Not that I'm of that vintage like..I just watched it as a child

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Gargamel from the smurfs..... I was scared of any baldys I met as a child!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

The witches in Hocus Pocus and when they changed their face shapes in Beetlejuice!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Everyone and everything in Angela Anaconda. That "animation" style is some freaky s#it!

Timmy Mallet 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Not a character exactly but anyone remember the Kit Kat ad in the 80's with the angel and the devil? When the elevator would open up and he would turn to shout "shaddup" to the screams in the fire pit! Oh my God, I was terrified. Was so afraid of going to hell, it gave me nightmares.
    Didn't help that my teacher at the time was a religious nut so our school day was a non stop mass.
    Traumatizing really......

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

The incredible hulk scared the life out of me,i always thought he would jump out of the tele and in to the room 🙈

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Not a character exactly but anyone remember the Kit Kat ad in the 80's with the angel and the devil? When the elevator would open up and he would turn to shout "shaddup" to the screams in the fire pit! Oh my God, I was terrified. Was so afraid of going to hell, it gave me nightmares.
    Didn't help that my teacher at the time was a religious nut so our school day was a non stop mass.

I found it really funny but my nan used to be a bit freaked out by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

40 Coats

These things in Stingray, the main bad guys minions

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQEDOTr7tFYEtirtUgfrxS97ppMQcKKEwNTeNnuilgKnUu87Lo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

lawred2 wrote: »
    The banshee from Darby O Gill... Not that I'm of that vintage like..I just watched it as a child
    Yes and the death coach that came out of the sky. Also when the horse got possessed and his eyes glowed.

Michael Myers gave me nightmares on and off for a few years. I still can't watch Halloween without getting the willies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭George White

GaGa21 wrote: »

Was that the one with Ken Campbell (British alternative theatre/comedy titan, the annoying flat-capped/cravatted pal of Basil's in Fawlty Towers - The Anniversary), one of a series, I believe, with the Ballina, Mayo-born actor P.G. Stephens (not Quentin Crisp as commonly believed, but the essayer of various Irish types in UK TV, the priest in the Only Fools Miracle of Peckham ep with the leaky roof in the church) as the angel?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mQESvoyHjQ

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Was that the one with Ken Campbell (British alternative theatre/comedy titan, the annoying flat-capped/cravatted pal of Basil's in Fawlty Towers - The Anniversary), one of a series, I believe, with the Ballina, Mayo-born actor P.G. Stephens (not Quentin Crisp as commonly believed, but the essayer of various Irish types in UK TV, the priest in the Only Fools Miracle of Peckham ep with the leaky roof in the church) as the angel?

Yes, yes it was.
    Thanks for the reminder! Not so scary now but terrifying at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mQESvoyHjQ

Ken Campbell was also in Derek Jarman's The Tempest. I re-watched Letter to Brezhnev recently for the first time in nearly 30 years and he pops up in a small part as a reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

wakka12 wrote: »
    I used to find the plasticine figurines in wallace and gromit and those kind of movies very frightening especially when they smiled
    botzxmd8vi601.jpg

Well you ain't seen nothing yet. Prepare yourself for Lenny Henry's live action Wallace And Grommit sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

I recall hiding behind the sofa when Bill Bixby as Dr David Banner turned into The Incredible Hulk - the sight of the green fella running towards the camera was terrifying to my young self. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Hulk_(1978_TV_series)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Chris Packham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭black & white

The Daleks from late '60's, I was fairly young but used to run and hide when they came on.

Advertisement