Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defecting from Church

Options
  • 12-03-2018 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Given the Catholic church no longer allow formal defection, would it be possible to register placeholder organisation/religion to allow you to "convert" to that, thereby leaving the Catholic church.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Given the Catholic church no longer allow formal defection, would it be possible to register placeholder organisation/religion to allow you to "convert" to that, thereby leaving that Catholic church.

Where would you be registering this new religion?
    You’re not registered anywhere as a Catholic, so nothing to deregister from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Well that's what I was wondering about...
    Maybe register with the charities authority as a pseudo charity/religious org.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

splinter65 wrote: »
    You’re not registered anywhere as a Catholic, so nothing to deregister from.

Is this true? I thought that baptismal records where some form of register. Wasn't there a thing a few years back of people removing their names from this?

Given the Catholic church no longer allow formal defection.. .

Is this true too??

Well that's what I was wondering about...
    Maybe register with the charities authority as a pseudo charity/religious org.

But if you want to leave the RCC then just don’t go anymore.
    If you want to register a charity here’s the deal.
    http://www.wheel.ie/support/forming-your-charity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is this true? I thought that baptismal records where some form of register. Wasn't there a thing a few years back of people removing their names from this?

GDPR test case!

One of the things I thought were a problem about deregistering back then was that you may not be able to be buried locally? Have I been misinformed?

Is this true too??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_act_of_defection_from_the_Catholic_Church

"In late August 2010, the Holy See confirmed that it was no longer possible to defect formally from the Catholic Church."

GDPR test case!

What?

GDPR test case!

Interesting angle. Force the Church to remove all personal data on you....

• Advertisement

But if you want to leave the RCC then just don’t go anymore.
    If you want to register a charity here’s the deal.
    http://www.wheel.ie/support/forming-your-charity

I don't wish to be included in their headcount.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_act_of_defection_from_the_Catholic_Church

"In late August 2010, the Holy See confirmed that it was no longer possible to defect formally from the Catholic Church."

Thanks, I missed that at the time. My mind must have been on more worldly things.

In every parish there is a register where a record is kept of Catholic sacraments including baptism.
    If you were baptized then there is a record of it there.
    As it is impossible to pretend that something that did happen, DIDNT happen, then it’s pointless removing an entry from the register.
    You can’t rewrite history and decide that you weren’t baptized after all.

What?

Ah I see! Have they digitised the records :)?

There isn’t a headcount.

In every parish there is a register where a record is kept of Catholic sacraments including baptism.
    As it is impossible to pretend that something that did happen, DIDNT happen, then it’s pointless removing an entry from the register.

I agree. I've never been too bothered about it personally.

But I replied to this thread because I'm curious about to the procedure if one did decide to formally remove themselves from the books. I spoke to someone recently who did just that.

So OP, say you needed to convert formally to... Say, Judaism, because of marriage or whatever.

Can you then request a removal of your name from the register? Even though its not formally allowed? Interesting question.

I don't have an answer. Sorry about invading the thread without an answer for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Can you then request a removal of your name from the register? Even though its not formally allowed? Interesting question.
    What register? I used to be looking for ways to formally defect in the past but realized I was making an assumption that there was a formal register. We've been debating this for years but there's ever been any evidence of a current members register existing. Defecting in the past meant a note was added to the record of your baptism saying that you stated you wished to defect, but nothin was removed.

If you want to keep out of their numbers the best way is to not put down Catholic when the census comes around again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you are not attending mass, and you don't enter your religion as catholic in the census, you are not counted as catholic in any contemporary headcount. your baptism is a historical record and not used to determine levels of catholicism today.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    What register? I used to be looking for ways to formally defect in the past but realized I was making an assumption that there was a formal register. We've been debating this for years but there's ever been any evidence of a current members register existing. Defecting in the past meant a note was added to the record of your baptism saying that you stated you wished to defect, but nothin was removed.

If you want to keep out of their numbers the best way is to not put down Catholic when the census comes around again.

Totally agree with second paragraph.

I guess what I mean by register is the baptismal record.

if you are not attending mass, and you don't enter your religion as catholic in the census, you are not counted as catholic in any contemporary headcount. your baptism is a historical record and not used to determine levels of catholicism today.

But, can someone be refused burial? In a local graveyard?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the church owns the graveyard, i don't see why not. they could refuse burial in that sense based on simple lack of attendance too, i guess.

Or is that fearmongering. I heard it said a few years back.

Sorry again OP for hijacking.

if the church owns the graveyard, i don't see why not. they could refuse burial in that sense based on simple lack of attendance too, i guess.

Which is fair enough. But, with lack of alternatives, it's not something I would like my loved ones to be facing, had I just died yesterday.

Do they look through the books and say, nope.. IgCorcaigh is not here, no funeral allowed?

I'd like to know in advance.

why would you want to both leave the church and be buried in a catholic graveyard? is that not having your cake and eating it?

Ti's a bit. But how many graveyards are around the place that are not Catholic?

Bloody hell, they get you when you're born, and they want the death as well. Weirdos the lot of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Someone else forced me to be baptised before I could roll over never mind understand the implications of it. You can't enter another person into a contract without their consent so why should it be kept as a record that I'm a Catholic when as soon as I was old enough and discovered that all religion is just bad fairy tales I stopped attending Mass and even when I did attend Mass or pray it was when made to by other people.

I have decided I'm not baptised as I don't practice or believe their BS, therefore I don't recognise what was done why I wasn't even a toddler.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    why should it be kept as a record that I'm a Catholic
    it's a record that you were baptised. it's not a record that you *are* a catholic.

Advertisement