Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's is the best game show we have/ have had?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Anyone remember sale of the century, with Nicolas Parsons?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Alicano wrote: »
    For me,
    Home grown : Where in the world. The Lyrics board. Secrets with Gerry Ryan. (not really a game show?)
    UK : Strike it lucky (Barrymore) Blankety Blank. Krypton Factor. Going for Gold (Jesus I loved that!) You Bet. +1 for Gladiators. And original Crystal Maze.. Bullseye was class too. "Settle in now settle down.. Plenty of time now plenty of time"

Was on this back in the day, won a bed for our troubles..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hot Milk and Pepper, presented by Brendan O'Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Cross Country Quiz

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The one with Velcro Girl

or Dave Fanning's one with yer man from Blind Tiger

• Advertisement

Dodge the Question, presented by Jonathan Philbin Bowman

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Frankie_Jaeger

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Bamboozled. Nothing to touch it in my opinion.
    Anyone for Wicked Wango Card ?

Is bamboozled the quiz from teletext?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Quicksilver obviously - "I'll have a 1p question, Bunny"

...stop the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Strike it lucky. Loved it, Michael Barrymore before the dead guy in the pool

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

I'll go with winning streak too.

Its a 30 minute slice of entertainment for the handful of people directly involved. No skill, no questions, just flipping coins to see if you won 4 grand or 5, a Toyota car or a holiday.

There is no entertainment for anyone outside the families playing the thing.

Nothing!

Mugatu_nothing.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,172 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

invicta wrote: »

"Tonight, from Norwich, its the quiz of the week"

how the hell do i still remember that after nearly 40 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

KF was Pure gold, dont make em like that any more.

krypton_factor.jpg?resize=620%2C465

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I haven't sat down and actually watched a game show in about 15 years

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The one with Velcro Girl

or Dave Fanning's one with yer man from Blind Tiger
    2phat, I think that was called.

Meanwhile, what about this game show.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone remember RTE's Play the Game?

A celebrity charades show with IIRC Ronan Collins hosting.

Ah the RTE mature women-a-thon, as it became over time.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2163/045.html

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2276/011.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

invicta wrote: »

Yes. Fast-moving, plenty of questions. It was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Strike it lucky. Loved it, Michael Barrymore before the dead guy in the pool

Strangely enough, Barrymore is a fully qualified lifeguard. He was a butlins redcoat and it would have been part of standard training. I think he was dealt a very unfair hand by the tabloids. A really funny guy. On topic, Where in the world with the lovely Theresa Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Strangely enough, Barrymore is a fully qualified lifeguard. He was a butlins redcoat and it would have been part of standard training. I think he was dealt a very unfair hand by the tabloids. A really funny guy. On topic, Where in the world with the lovely Theresa Lowe.

Didn't they find a lad floating in his swimming pool with an arse on him like the Jack Lynch tunnel?

Kevin Myers presented a quiz show called Challenging Times. Ireland's answer to University Challenge. The fúcker had more drink taken than most of the people watching it.

byte wrote: »
    2phat, I think that was called.

Meanwhile, what about this game show.. :pac:

Henry Kelly also presented a game show for RTÉ called Flashback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I liked Family Fortunes. The end part was always good although I don't like it with Vernon Kay.

Wrong thread but I inexplicably can't stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

This thread needs wayyyyyy more Catch Phrase!

Kevin Myers presented a quiz show called Challenging Times. Ireland's answer to University Challenge. The fúcker had more drink taken than most of the people watching it.

They did John, but after the media got their few pounds of flesh and an inquest was carried out he was cleared out he was cleared of any wrongdoing. In fairness, if it was a woman found in the pool in that state the police would probably have your good self high up on the list of 'persons of interest' :D
    Challenging times was great, my da God rest him loved it. What was the one with Bob Holness, blockbusters was it?
    'gimme an E please bob'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have a begrudging admiration for Deal or No Deal and the fact they dragged it out for 1 hour, 5 days a week.
    I have more than a begrudging admiration for the fella who would cut the show to just the box opening and Dealer conversations on YT an hour after the show. I think condensed it was at the 5 min total mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Challenging times was great, my da God rest him loved it. What was the one with Bob Holness, blockbusters was it?
    'gimme an E please bob'
    Yeah, I liked Blockbusters back in my teenage years. Did you know that Bob Holness was one of the people to play James Bond? It was a South African radio adaptation of Moonraker, in 1956.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The best game show by far is Come Dine With Me.
    I've been mulling it over and trying to convince myself that it's a game show, and it is.
    I could watch Come Dine With Me all day.

Yeah, I liked Blockbusters back in my teenage years. Did you know that Bob Holness was one of the people to play James Bond? It was a South African radio adaptation of Moonraker, in 1956.

Brilliant! I love drunken wisdom, I'll win many a pub bet with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Fifteen to One was the best quiz ever.

Its not the same with yer wan Sandi Toksvig though.

It's William G.Stewart all the way

Who wants to be a millionaire circa 1999 - 2002. I can remember when the rumour got out a few days beforehand that Judith Keppel would be the first person to win a million pounds and everyone was watching the night she was on. It was just massive leap up from the gameshows that were around a few years beforehand as far as prizes were concerned, and the fact it was a players raw knowledge that won them the prizes made it far more watchable than any other gameshow. Even the £250,000 prize just seemed like head-spinning money back then, never mind the two highest prizes.

We had our own version with Gay Byrne around 2001. I remember when I would watch it I had the feeling that, unlike in the uk version, the Irish version couldn't really afford big payouts (soooo "father ted-esque" and typical of Ireland of that era!) and so they would hope that only a few people would win big prizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

No mention of Play your Cards Right with Brucie?  Classic show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Didn't they find a lad floating in his swimming pool with an arse on him like the Jack Lynch tunnel?

I'm a fan of University Challenge but the RTE version was (predictably) awful. The set was cheap-looking, and Myers waffled far too much. The worst thing I saw was when a contestant didn't know what TCP/IP was. "If I could give you points for not knowing that, I would" said Myers, showing that he couldn't tell the difference between a critical piece of technology that enabled the creation of and still underpins the Internet, and some kind of online fad like Bebo.

Advertisement