Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Match Thread; Cheetahs versus Connacht

Options
  • 03-03-2018 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭

Live on Sky Sports Action 5:35PM. Cheap viewing for non Sky Sports subscribers for the game is available https://www.nowtv.com/ie/watch-sky-sports-online

CHEETAHS: C Blommetjies; C Barry, F Venter (capt), N Lee, L Obi; N Marais, Z Mkhabela; O Nche, T van Jaarsveld, J Coetzee; J Basson, R Hugo; P Schoeman, H Venter, U Cassiem. Replacements: J du Toit, C Marais, T Botha, R Bernardo, O Mohoje, T Meyer, F Zeilinga, S Maxano.

CONNACHT: T O’Halloran; C Kelleher, E Griffin, P Ahki, M Healy; J Carty, C Blade; D Buckley, T McCartney, F Bealham; U Dillane, J Cannon; S O’Brien, J Butler, J Muldoon. Replacements: S Delahunt, D Coulson, D Roberston McCoy, G Thornbury, E Masterson, J Mitchell, C Ronaldson, N Adeolokun.

Referee: S Berry (South Africa)

Preview. With most of the weekend Pro 14 matches cancelled, all eyes are on Toyota Stadium this evening for those of us who need a fix of domestic football. Keane's men may well be up against it in the hard first of their two African games, a tour that isn't helped with enforced absences of Aki and Marmion. That said, Dillane is included in the starting 15 while the recall of Pita into the centre along with a strong full back line will offer support for a strong counter attack in what should be an open game.

For the hosts, a poor tour to Scotland and Wales has left them floundering in what was considered to be the softer of the two P14 pools. That aside, strong home results have seen to it that they are still placed third in the table. A win here is crucial should they have any hope of overtaking Munster in second place in the pool, and it is a result that the bookies are going with as well. I'm inclined to agree with them, but my bread filled gut says that it will be closed than 1/4 odds would suggest. I say 38-29 to the home team.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Good ol' Connaught

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Sorry that would have annoyed the hell out of me Connacht are the rugby team Connaught are the province

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Good ol' Connaught

father-ted.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Expecting a record high attendance in the Free State Stadium today with as many as 60 Connacht fans braving mother nature boosting it to a bumper capacity 200 punter crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Looking forward to this match still getting only 2 minutes of a mention on the Irish rugby podcasts :pac:

Should be good game, would have liked Niyi to start over Kelleher and no Tom Farrell is a shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Live on Sky Sports Action 5:35PM. Cheap viewing for non Sky Sports subscribers for the game is available https://www.nowtv.com/ie/watch-sky-sports-online

CHEETAHS: C Blommetjies; C Barry, F Venter (capt), N Lee, L Obi; N Marais, Z Mkhabela; O Nche, T van Jaarsveld, J Coetzee; J Basson, R Hugo; P Schoeman, H Venter, U Cassiem. Replacements: J du Toit, C Marais, T Botha, R Bernardo, O Mohoje, T Meyer, F Zeilinga, S Maxano.

CONNACHT: T O’Halloran; C Kelleher, E Griffin, P Ahki, M Healy; J Carty, C Blade; D Buckley, T McCartney, F Bealham; U Dillane, J Cannon; S O’Brien, J Butler, J Muldoon. Replacements: S Delahunt, D Coulson, D Roberston McCoy, G Thornbury, E Masterson, J Mitchell, C Ronaldson, N Adeolokun.

Referee: S Berry (South Africa)

Preview. With most of the weekend Pro 14 matches cancelled, all eyes are on Toyota Stadium this evening for those of us who need a fix of domestic football. Keane's men may well be up against it in the hard first of their two African games, a tour that isn't helped with enforced absences of Aki and Marmion. That said, Dillane is included in the starting 15 while the recall of Pita into the centre along with a strong full back line will offer support for a strong counter attack in what should be an open game.

For the hosts, a poor tour to Scotland and Wales has left them floundering in what was considered to be the softer of the two P14 pools. That aside, strong home results have seen to it that they are still placed third in the table. A win here is crucial should they have any hope of overtaking Munster in second place in the pool, and it is a result that the bookies are going with as well. I'm inclined to agree with them, but my bread filled gut says that it will be closed than 1/4 odds would suggest. I say 38-29 to the home team.

Sorry, this is the only game Connacht are playing on African soil this season. We played the Kings in Galway, and seeing as they are in the other conference, we won't be playing them again. Thanks for the write up though. Connacht abú.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sorry that would have annoyed the hell out of me Connacht are the rugby team Connaught are the province

Sorry, that would have annoyed the hell out of me. Connacht are is the rugby team, and the province. Connaught are is the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Expecting a record high attendance in the Free State Stadium today with as many as 60 Connacht fans braving mother nature boosting it to a bumper capacity 200 punter crowd.

Cheetahs have a higher average attendance than Connacht this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It's being shown live on Sky Sports @ 5.30.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Cheetahs have a higher average attendance than Connacht this season.

Must be padding the numbers because you could easily fit everybody there in the College Road end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Oh christ - not a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Poor start from blade bad knock on and asleep there for the try

Connacht are getting minced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

10-0 after 10 minutes. Cheetahs are playing some nice stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Great to see the line out functioning well again...

Cheetahs playing high tempo offloading game, with the altitude we'll struggle to live with it for 60, never mind 80

We've been giving our chasers no hope at restarts all season. Cheetahs easily get it straight to that Venter lad and he sucks in defenders so handy.

Blade and Ahki did brilliantly there

Ah that was well worked - good try for Healy. That's more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Didn't realise at first viewing but Blade was very poor that try.

Great move to get us back in it. 23rd try from Matt in Super Rugby apparently! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

vienne86 wrote: »
    Ah that was well worked - good try for Healy. That's more like it.

Lovely move well worked try

Nicely worked try!

Lovely try there, more nice play from TOH. Blade is very good in space today, holds the defense really nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

We've been giving our chasers no hope at restarts all season. Cheetahs easily get it straight to that Venter lad and he sucks in defenders so handy.

I’d say a lot of it is getting used to the ball flying further with the altitude

That was absolutely horrible. Knee bent completely backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Very nasty injury on the replay. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Healy in again.

Oh yes! Another lovely try for Healy.

That left wing is doing great stuff. This is the best Ahki has been so far in attack.

Doing far better than I thought they would so far.

• Advertisement

Another lovely try for my favourite team! that are playing this weekend

Advertisement