Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many weather warnings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Graham wrote: »
    joe40 wrote: »
    That is just silly. I am saying they are subject to the same forecasting regime with the same level of uncertainty. The Eastern part of northern Ireland was badly affected the western part much less so. this was reflected in their response.

I think you're agreeing, they had forecast different weather for different parts of the country.

Much like we did.

Sounds entirely appropriate.
    That is exactly my point, "they had forecast different weather for different parts of the country" The forecast I was reading from Met Eireann was totally different for Donegal and the NW in general from other parts so a coutry wide red warning was not needed. I'm not just talking about hindsight, I was literally reading the "forecast" on wed night from met eireann and then seeing a country wide red warning. The two did not tally at all.
    I'm no risk taker nor do I subscribe to the notion of nanny state taking over but in this instance I think they were wrong. The the main damage in my opinion is undermining the warning system. Orange warning will be ignored if they're not upgraded. That is not how these things should work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Genuine question for those complaining. Had the forecast taken a turn they weren't anticipating (entirely possible) and badly effected the area you live in. Would you still be complaining about the red warning?

Why do personal anecdotes matter with regards to the question of appropriate weather warnings?

There is lots of snow outside my window and it is still snowing here right now, but so what? Doesn't change the bigger picture of how appropriate warnings were all week and in what areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

Why do personal anecdotes matter with regards to the question of appropriate weather warnings?

There is lots of snow outside my window and it is still snowing here right now, but so what? Doesn't change the bigger picture of how appropriate warnings were all week and in what areas.
    The poster was saying the warnings were appropriate because met was not certain that they were not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Genuine question for those complaining. Had the forecast taken a turn they weren't anticipating (entirely possible) and badly effected the area you live in. Would you still be complaining about the red warning?

First Im not complaining per se ... The only thing I try to argue is the blanket red level warning ...

You base your warning on a forecast .. And you are not gonna bring a town to a standstill with a red warning 24 hours prior to what your own forecast is telling you .... That is ridiculous and will get people not adhering to red level warnings in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

weisses wrote: »
    The weather in Kerry is not the same as in Wicklow just because we are on the same land mass so should Kerry be subject to the same warnings that are in place in Wicklow ?

Its a warning not a forecast.

If they were dropping an atomic bomb in Roscrea and fallout was expected to blow towards Dublin based on the wind forecast, you wouldnt want a warning for Clare in case the weather changed so?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its a warning not a forecast.

If they were dropping an atomic bomb in Roscrea and fallout was expected to blow towards Dublin based on the wind forecast, you wouldnt want a warning for Clare in case the weather changed so?

Your post is not making any sense .... sorry

That is exactly my point, "they had forecast different weather for different parts of the country" The forecast I was reading from Met Eireann was totally different for Donegal and the NW in general from other parts so a coutry wide red warning was not needed. I'm not just talking about hindsight, I was literally reading the "forecast" on wed night from met eireann and then seeing a country wide red warning. The two did not tally at all.
    I'm no risk taker nor do I subscribe to the notion of nanny state taking over but in this instance I think they were wrong. The the main damage in my opinion is undermining the warning system. Orange warning will be ignored if they're not upgraded. That is not how these things should work

Yes. It was forecast that it would jot be too bad. They know these models are not 100% accurate and prepared accordingly. This time they got it right.

A forecast is what we think will happen. A warning is a warning that something may happen. Aka the above scenario should be read as we don't think it will be too bad (the forecast) but we know there is a decent probability of it being bad (the warning).

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Hold on, before this you were saying we were a weak generation because we won't just "get on with it" and go to school and be on the roads but now you're saying sure no ones gonna walk in this weather for a bit of fun? I'm not really sure what your point and stance here is on all fronts. I'm sorry you feel isolated, but there is always a solution. And trust me, if my town is an indicator of anything people will almost definitely have a few drinks and the craic in this weather.

I was speaking for many people , as you can see by my use of the word “we”.
    I also said I’m fit and able , many people are not and were not able to spend the last few days with friends eating and drinking and having the craic !

I’ve very elderly neighbors who were terrified to leave their house and I’ve checked on them every day . Many people do not have a “solution “ and become very isolated . I’ve called on them every day , walked their dog and cleared their drive this morning . Someday you will realize there is not always a solution to isolation for older people . The red alert frightened many people , here where I live it shut down everything completely for these 3days .....and it wasn’t completely necessary.

I have to say you confuse me more with each post. I said there is always a solution, you disagree and say youve been back from elderly neighbors. Don't you see that in that example you are the solution? People like yourself doing good deeds are the solution. Further to the point, its reasons like this that the red warnings have been put in place, imagine had those elderly people gone out and attempted to clear their driveway themselves? You keep saying it's not necessary then follow it with a statement or story that suggests it was in fact necessary!

Christy42 wrote: »
    Yes. It was forecast that it would jot be too bad. They know these models are not 100% accurate and prepared accordingly. This time they got it right.

A forecast is what we think will happen. A warning is a warning that something may happen. Aka the above scenario should be read as we don't think it will be too bad (the forecast) but we know there is a decent probability of it being bad (the warning).

That is not a criteria to go red warned country wide

Christy42 wrote: »

That is what I understand orange warnings to mean. In a 24 hr period the forecasts are very accurate. At eleven o clock on wed night the possibility of extreme, life threatening weather in Donegal on Thursday was very limited. Snow showers are not extreme life threatening events. I would accept red warning on fri when storm and snow combined but this was not going to happen in the North west on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No ......it just makes people more and more dependent on Nanny State ,Social Media, Government, Media outlets for how to get up our of bed and live their lives !

Maybe this is the generation that had been created by an over reliance on social media ?? And it’s probably an argument for another day , but if you keep spoon feeding people they will never stand on their own two feet and become independent adults able to think for themselves . I think it’s already too late for many people . (And apologies for going off topic :))
    Well good for you ! I live alone . Many of us have been isolated without anyone for these last few days , no family or friends around at all, nobody will go decide to come over for a few drinks and the craic in this weather ! We don’t all live on streets or in towns .
    It’s not an enjoyable experience for many people , it’s totally isolating .

I’m ok cos I am fit and able to walk and get outside .. I did yesterday and I’m heading out again now , but it’s still lonely. And curfews and red alerts that close an entire country down rather than regions only make that harder as everyone operates from place of fear.

I’ve very elderly neighbors who were terrified to leave their house and I’ve checked on them every day . Many people do not have a “solution “ and become very isolated . .

I agree with you on the top post, but I would not apply that logic to weather in Ireland. From people surfing in storm Ophelia to the few who did get stranded in this more recent event, it's easy to see some people are not wise enough to the dangers of meteorological events here, possibly because Ireland is normally such a relatively safe place, weather wise.

As to the second post, it's well and good for you when you didn't have to go to work.
    I live in a rural area too (old renovated house, before the one-off housing dig is whipped out again), and when weather conditions deteriorate, I still feel under pressure to go to work.

I make a judgement call of course, but you know what, I am so glad of the red warning absolving me from making that call. I have a family to take care of, and since I'm a diligent worker I would be torn between feeling the need to slide down the hill with a possibility I may crash my invaluable car, or that I couldn't get back up in the evening after work, and staying at home at the risk of my employer disbelieving or disregarding my motives.
    And that's even without considering the possibility I could break a leg or be otherwise injured in an accident in bad weather, and then be incapacitated and house bound for heaven knows how long.

As regards your third post, I shudder to think what would have happened to the elderly people I know if they had chanced taking the car down to town, had there not been a red warning. And they might have, had they not been warned that this was a serious event.

I do agree that the Red warnings may need to be applied more regionally in some situations, but I was following the evolution yesterday and can understand how there was a real possibility all and any county in Ireland could have been affected, making it a tough but necessary call.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

GreeBo wrote: »
    If the schools etc are closed they dont need to salt/grit those roads.

Made it hell for my neighbour who is a doctor & had to go out.

You base your warning on a forecast .. And you are not gonna bring a town to a standstill with a red warning 24 hours prior to what your own forecast is telling you .... That is ridiculous and will get people not adhering to red level warnings in the future

So it really isn't. The point of my question was to see are you basing your opinion off of risk assessment or hindsight? It's easy for anyone to criticise after the fact...but it defeats the purpose of what a warning is. The idea is, is that they have as you stated, forecasted and issued a warning 24 hours in advance right, so this is the crucial part, they only have an idea of what happens in those next 24 hours with multiple possibilities and variations on those ideas. Also bear in mind, while they can try their best to forecast, it can change, winds could change directions and different areas are hit worse than thought. This isn't the UK, it's not like we're talking about say the difference between Newcastle and Southampton, we're talking more like 50km. Very small distance for a storm like this to change direction and hit. That's the point of the warning. The warning is there to say "We think this is what will happen...but there is a RISK that this will change and this could happen, so we are WARNING you that this is a real possibility". It's unfair to then turn around afterwards and say "one of the possibilities didn't happen, you're useless".

That is what I understand orange warnings to mean. In a 24 hr period the forecasts are very accurate. At eleven o clock on wed night the possibility of extreme, life threatening weather in Donegal on Thursday was very limited. Snow showers are not extreme life threatening events. I would accept red warning on fri when storm and snow combined but this was not going to happen in the North west on Thursday.

Nope. https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

Had it hit Donegal it would have required a red warning. In no way was an Orange warning appropriate for anywhere in the country. An Orange warning implies minor impact. It has nothing to do with the probability of the event occurring in a given location and everything to do to with the severity of the event.
    Indeed now that they are sure these areas will not be as badly hit as may have been they have been downgraded to Orange. Unsure when that happened.
    http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Again this is not a you may get as badly hit as Dublin. This is a you may be affected but it won't be as bad as Dublin which they are evidentially more confident of now.

As for 24 hour forecasts, didn't they get the timing of the storm wrong or am I mistaken? I thought it arrived later than expected.

So it really isn't. The point of my question was to see are you basing your opinion off of risk assessment or hindsight? It's easy for anyone to criticise after the fact...but it defeats the purpose of what a warning is. The idea is, is that they have as you stated, forecasted and issued a warning 24 hours in advance right, so this is the crucial part, they only have an idea of what happens in those next 24 hours with multiple possibilities and variations on those ideas. Also bear in mind, while they can try their best to forecast, it can change, winds could change directions and different areas are hit worse than thought. This isn't the UK, it's not like we're talking about say the difference between Newcastle and Southampton, we're talking more like 50km. Very small distance for a storm like this to change direction and hit. That's the point of the warning. The warning is there to say "We think this is what will happen...but there is a RISK that this will change and this could happen, so we are WARNING you that this is a real possibility". It's unfair to then turn around afterwards and say "one of the possibilities didn't happen, you're useless".

Let me try to summerize this

When various parts/areas of the population are more affected by the red warning then the event itself then there is something wrong

And No a storm doesn't race 24 hours ahead 24 hours prior to the forecast ... weather can be unpredictable but there are limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

On Wednesday, every weather model had me seeing no snow from Emma to 1 to 3cm worst case scenario and not until the early house of Friday. I also had no chance of showers up to it.

At 11pm Wednesday Met eireann released a red warning for my county, I kept checking models and it keep downgrading my snow chances, a trace worst case scenario. Still everywhere shut yesterday with no snow on ground and no chance of any snow for the day at all, and no chance of evening seeing anything falling until after midnight.

At midnight warning was reduced to an orange. 25 hours of a red warning and no snow. Schools and most places closed today and for what. Absolutely nothing not a single flake. Dropping a red warning that never was at midnight just messed people for another day with work etc.

I would completely understand if the weather models were showing heavy snow my for location and by an act of god they got it wrong BUT it never did at ANY stage. Absolute joke.

-25 hours of red warning and no snow
    -No weather model ever indicated any snow for here
    -dropping it at midnight when they knew earlier they could have and not f people for another day, they just wanted to save face yesterday.

25 red snow warning and not one weather model showed it to begin with. They need to revamp their warning system it's a total joke.

Let me try to summerize this

When various parts/areas of the population are more affected by the red warning then the event itself then there is something wrong

And No a storm doesn't race 24 hours ahead 24 hours prior to the forecast ... weather can be unpredictable but there are limits

Minority parts of the population. Majority have been effected by the event itself. Therefore there is something right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

On Wednesday, every weather model had me seeing no snow from Emma to 1 to 3cm worst case scenario and not until the early house of Friday. I also had no chance of showers up to it.

At 11pm Wednesday Met eireann released a red warning for my county, I kept checking models and it keep downgrading my snow chances, a trace worst case scenario. Still everywhere shut yesterday with no snow on ground and no chance of any snow for the day at all, and no chance of evening seeing anything falling until after midnight.

At midnight warning was reduced to an orange. 25 hours of a red warning and no snow. Schools and most places closed today and for what. Absolutely nothing not a single flake. Dropping a red warning that never was at midnight just messed people for another day with work etc.

I would completely understand if the weather models were showing heavy snow my for location and by an act of god they got it wrong BUT it never did at ANY stage. Absolute joke.

-dropping it at midnight when they knew earlier they could have and not f people for another day, they just wanted to save face yesterday.

25 red snow warning and not one weather model showed it to begin with. They need to revamp their warning system it's a total joke.

Funny post, we're totally snowed in here in the Burren and probably 89% of the landmass of Ireland...

Do you think I give a toss about work Ammm nooooo making memories here.

Wrong way around. The red warning is in case their model is wrong and "by act of God" you did get heavy snow when none had been forecast. Mostly because it would not have taken an act of god for any part of the country to have received large amounts of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

To those people trying to pretend that no weather models were indicating red levels of snow/ice in all parts of the country, you're either lying or bluffing, but either way you're wrong:

arpegeuk-45-38-0_mqc4.png

The above map shows Red level snowfall for everywhere in Ireland (potentially Sligo would have been Orange, but marginal).

• Advertisement

Oh the ARPEGE is a well-regarded model with good accuracy and results over this winter season, before you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

MJohnston wrote: »
    To those people trying to pretend that no weather models were indicating red levels of snow/ice in all parts of the country, you're either lying or bluffing, but either way you're wrong:

The above map shows Red level snowfall for everywhere in Ireland (potentially Sligo would have been Orange, but marginal).
    most of Donegal apart from the orange dot which looks like errigal is green or blue. Ukmo didn't issue a red for ni

100 people in a factory not getting paid today because of this in my town.

If there was even a small chance of significant snow in the north west why was this not on the forecast.
    How can Met eireann issue a red warning for an area when their "own forecast" isn't predicting particularly bad weather for that area. I fully accept weather is unpredictable but snow showers do not merit red warnings. If they did Met eireann have missed out on a few red warnings where I live this year so far.
    The Snow combined with Storm emma is a different thing altogether but that is not the issue for me. It is the red warning at 11.00 pm Wed which effectively closed the country on Thursday.
    I know Met eireann, and the government have to speak with one voice any mixed messages would be disastrous but I wonder what is been said at private meetings now.
    Northern Ireland functioned for the last 2 days, the parts of Ireland in the same geographic region did not. I don't think NI authorities are irresponsible, I think the government here was too quick to give a countrywide red alert, a bit of regional awareness was needed

most of Donegal apart from the orange dot which looks like errigal is green or blue. Ukmo didn't issue a red for ni

100 people in a factory not getting paid today because of this in my town.

Nope, coastal Donegal is shown as receiving red warning levels of snow too - and to be clear that did happen, I have photos from my cousins up in Falcarragh who had to ski to the shops. But, whether or not it happened, it was shown to happen on this model and others.

Additionally, take a look at that massive patch of snow out at sea just to the north of Donegal - that was moving east-to-west and had the potential to shift slightly south which would have dumped snow on lots of the north Donegal coast (which I believe did happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Nope, coastal Donegal is shown as receiving red warning levels of snow too - and to be clear that did happen, I have photos from my cousins up in Falcarragh who had to ski to the shops. But, whether or not it happened, it was shown to happen on this model and others.

Additionally, take a look at that massive patch of snow out at sea just to the north of Donegal - that was moving east-to-west and had the potential to shift slightly south which would have dumped snow on lots of the north Donegal coast (which I believe did happen).

apologies i never knew 10cm of snow now warranted a red weather warning i stand corrected

had that a few times this year already up here

apologies i never knew 10cm of snow now warranted a red weather warning i stand corrected

had that a few times this year already up here

8cm is enough for a red warning:
    http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

In fact, the wording doesn't even suggest that 8cm fall is necessary, just 8cm of accumulation - so if there was 5cm on the ground already, another 3cm would be potentially be enough to trigger it.

I've said it before, there's a valid argument to be made about changing the warning level criteria (and ME are already in the process of looking at this), but in this case those criteria certainly looked to be potentially met in various forecast charts over most of the country at the time when the country-wide red warning was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Evelyn Cusack, specifically said on RTE news that the red alert for Donegal was initiated because of the temperatures and the wind chill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

arpegeuk-45-38-0_mqc4.png

Isloated parts of North donegal had snow from streamers all week, nothing of consequence was expected there from Emma. Here's the subsequent runs and they kept the red and your ss was worst case scenario from long ago red over errigal. Even Gaoth probably the most knowledgeable poster on boards said he couldn't understand the national Red was nonsense for the north west. I could post numerous other ss of models showing it not evening reaching the north west. They kept a red for no reason and yesterday Emma if she hit the north west wouldn't have happened until after midnight yet everywhere was closed all day with no snow on the ground and none forecast to fall that day. But lets not let facts get in the way of constant met eireann circle jerk. No one or no thing is above criticism, a red warning for 25 hours, wait until midnight to remove it, when they knew earlier in the day it wasn't needed, they even said it on the radio but still kept. Completely shambolic.

Isloated parts of North donegal had snow from streamers all week, nothing of consequence was expected there from Emma. Here's the subsequent runs and they kept the red and your ss was worst case scenario from long ago red over errigal. Even Gaoth probably the most knowledgeable poster on boards said he couldn't understand the national Red was nonsense for the north west. I could post numerous other ss of models showing it not evening reaching the north west. They kept a red for no reason and yesterday Emma if she hit the north west wouldn't have happened until after midnight yet everywhere was closed all day with no snow on the ground and none forecast to fall that day. But lets not let facts get in the way of constant met eireann circle jerk. No one or no thing is above criticism, a red warning for 25 hours, wait until midnight to remove it, when they knew earlier in the day it wasn't needed, they even said it on the radio but still kept. Completely shambolic.

I'll restate the facts - that ARPEGE run is from 0Z yesterday and shows levels of snowfall in Donegal that would trigger a red warning by themselves (without any lying snowfall - which there was). Here's a frame from the 6Z WRF model from yesterday showing the same:

nmm_uk1-45-36-4_rgb7.png

The HIRLAM 6Z from yesterday also shows a red level over most of the country:

hirlamuk-45-32-0_hhu5.png

And I'll repeat this is without considering already accumulated lying snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Jesus. Are things so bad in this country that, if anything outside the "norm" occurs in the weather arena, we need to be cuddled, cradled, schooled and spoken to as if all common sense has disappeared from our greater population.

Back in 1982, we had a disastrous time but we just got on with it. Listening to the radio on various stations it was hilarious listening to the likes of Connor Faulkner and folks like him explaining to folks what not to do in bad weather. It was like listening to a 3rd class road safety lesson by the local garda.

What happened to folks common sense. This rubbish of "Elderly afraid to leave their houses". Eh What? The reason we didn't leave our houses was because idiots we aint.

Now, Regarding this total red warning, for us In the West, (Mayo and Roscommon), it was completely farcical. Not a flake on the roads, bone dry, no wind, yet every school, Bank, PO, supermarket and chemist closed.

I hear people complaining about a Nanny state, well, I think little heed will be paid to overexaggerated warnings going forward. If people do not have the common sense, life experience, or wherewithal to keep safe in bad weather situations, well It's their problem. Off you go, But do not treat the rest of us like fupping eejits!

Advertisement