Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Achasanai wrote: »
    The local variations are crazy. I know D14 is a big place, but it's still crazy.

Insane, Curerntly in Clonskeagh and its fine snow grains with temp dropping, -0.5c. Its actually accumulating on recently cleared surfaces too.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Best weather forecast I’ve ever heard.

Now all I want is its summer equivalent around the end of May and to last 3/4 months. I don't think I'm the demanding type...............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

i feel like I'm reading reports from a different country for the last 2 days. I'm in Ashford in wicklow and have had nothing. School closed for 2 days, no snow, road clear, just a chilly breeze. It's hard not to feel a bit pissed off. Not sure if there is some sort of micro climate/welsh shadow at play. Now the red alert has been extended, is it just me or are these blanket alerts unsustainable? God be with the days you good make a call yourself! To those who have snow enjoy.....I'm not jealous......honest, I'lll probably wake up to a foot tomorrow which will quickly turn to slush before the kids can get out and enjoy it, hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I would hate to have freezing rain, it's an awful experience.

Gonzo wrote: »
    not sure what is falling out of the sky here, looks like freezing drizzle.

Yes it's very "rainy" - snoiceizly even. Not what I was expecting. I've had constant snow for the last 24 hours. While wind has picked up a bit, i've had horizontal or vertical or weird snow since yesterday. I don't see any difference since 4pm except snow flake levels greatly reduced and this slush stuff falling instead- Slush-puppie rain/snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Feckin hell, i just opened the front door to have a nosey out, there was easily 150mm of snow that accumulated against the door - which subsequently collapsed and fell inwards towards me, and made it quite difficult to get the door to lock again (the snow was interfering with the locking mechanism)

Seems to have melted now (the snow that was jammed in the door and door frame) allowing me to get the handle back into locking position.

What's it going to be like in the morning lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jaysus just saw footage of that tidal surge flooding the DART tracks, crazy stuff, shows how mad this even is that something like that can just pass you by.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Weather forum looking forward to a once In a lifetime weather event?
    Wait, I was alive in 1982, do you know something I don't? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Met eireann have firmly nailed their colours to the mast on the 6.01 forecast. Words like record breaking snow event were used. Obviously not the whole country but there was no uncertainty in the expected severity of the weather where it hits hardest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Allergan going for a third Botox plant, so don't want to be seen as closing and production being affected for the second time in months. We're being told to go in tomorrow, so hoping Westport gets off lightly for all the staff who are on the move in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

sdanseo wrote: »
    Surely these reports of rain must be freezing rain and will turn to snow?

One person saying all the snow has washed away. Trolling?

A mod saying all their snow in Dublin would be washed away by the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temp below freezing here again, dew points rising a bit too fast for comfort but still on the right side of marginal. Looks like there is some mixing in the air, i'm quite hopeful,
    for the first time all day snow amounts rising on the ground again here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

Snowing in Mallow light but snowing. A good start to a long night ahead.

I'm only a few miles away and still nothing here

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah that very fine stuff falling in D16. Definitely not rain. Probably more like micro hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Loughc wrote: »
    Still some lying but mostly melting away from the rain. Reckon it’ll be all gone by morning

All this lying snow...when will we have the truth.?

I'd get my coat only for the impending blizzard:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sdanseo wrote: »
    Surely these reports of rain must be freezing rain and will turn to snow?

One person saying all the snow has washed away. Trolling?

there are a good few rain reports so im not sure. I just took a look outside and it's like freezing drizzle, doesn't really look like proper snow that's falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Johann. wrote: »
    Likewise, I stepped out in it & it was very fine snow for me a few minutes ago.

That's what I experienced anyway.

I'm off the same road too and stuck my arm out - very fine ice/snow, windscreens of cars are dusted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Raining in north east Dub now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Definitely not rain in D7,had a patch of path cleared earlier and there is 5-10mm of new "growzel" lodged on it now and frozen on the windows.No thaw either and Phoenix Park back down to -1 from 0 earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just made a snowball from the stuff on the window ledge and it sticks together much better than the stuff we’ve been getting thus far. I presume that’s from the extra moisture in storm Emma. I’m in the d16 area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Here's a link to the ESB power outage map in case anyone need to check during the coming hours.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Help needed, how do I keep my sensor light on. Have tried hanging things out of it but they keep blowing away. I'm wearing away the floor walking to the switch to flick it on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Popped the head out and it's fine grains of snow but lots of it. It's changed from the 'dry' powder we had previously. It's more like our traditional 'wet' snow. First time in a long while that we had sideways snow in Wexford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mad hearing the rain reports when its still bucketing down snow in Newbridge

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

-0.6C

Moderate snow and drifting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah that very fine stuff falling in D16. Definitely not rain. Probably more like micro hail.

And it's accumulating too!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Feckin hell, i just opened the front door to have a nosey out, there was easily 150mm of snow that accumulated against the door - which subsequently collapsed and fell inwards towards me, and made it quite difficult to get the door to lock again (the snow was interfering with the locking mechanism)

Seems to have melted now (the snow that was jammed in the door and door frame) allowing me to get the handle back into locking position.

What's it going to be like in the morning lol

Had the same. Just take a brush and clean the door frame and the door and also the door itself from below. There could be a build-up of snow you can't see that's blocking the door from closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Been lightly snowing here in Cork City since around 6ish, its getting windier and the snow is starting to get ever so heavier now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Very light flakes falling in West Limerick now. Wind is picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

sideswipe wrote: »
    i feel like I'm reading reports from a different country for the last 2 days. I'm in Ashford in wicklow and have had nothing. School closed for 2 days, no snow, road clear, just a chilly breeze. It's hard not to feel a bit pissed off. Not sure if there is some sort of micro climate/welsh shadow at play. Now the red alert has been extended, is it just me or are these blanket alerts unsustainable? God be with the days you good make a call yourself! To those who have snow enjoy.....I'm not jealous......honest, I'lll probably wake up to a foot tomorrow which will quickly turn to slush before the kids can get out and enjoy it, hope I'm wrong.

You can still make a call yourself, you have just been informed that it could be very dangerous to carry on as usual.

Advertisement