Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Morning all

In Laois here and it doesn't look TOO bad (few cm) but it's still falling and I'd need to get to D18.

As the song goes.. Should I stay or should I go? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

My mistake what I thought was “black road” after a car was just a shadow of deeper snow tracks 5-7cm here in D9

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Red weather warning issued after heavy overnight snow http://jrnl.ie/3875859 red alert issued that means schools closed

Technically a red alert does not mean schools automatically close. Unless the minister closes them, it is up to the individual boards of management

See here

Ah thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

My poor kids just got up all excited to see snow, so disappointed they have to get ready and go to school......i did warn them that we live in cork lol

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

About 8 cm of powdery snow has fallen here so far in Tara, Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Can’t understand how Wexford/Waterford is still under a YELLOW warning given what has fallen overnight. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Actually yes now that I had a better look it's definitely more !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Blud wrote: »
    I see from another thread that a lot more is due today, which could be the explanation.

That said, if the warning is solely on what is now lying, it's nuts. And there's nowhere with 45cm of snow right now, that's completely baseless.

I understand that this thread is not representative of the population as it seems to be full of people just praying for a day off work, so I might not fit in here, but red warning this early seems very early. It completely dilutes what a ref warning should mean.

If the red warning only came into effect in the evening today, because there is more snow predicted during the day do you not think that would ruin the point of it because people would assume it’s okay this morning to go to work, school etc and then not be prepared for no option to get home? So people could be stranded miles from home - what then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just woke up to easily 7cm here in Blanch. Best day ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I still don’t see where a red warning is justified , it seems way over the top to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 EastCork2018

Paully D wrote: »
    Can’t understand how Wexford/Waterford is still under a YELLOW warning given what has fallen overnight. :eek:

Make that parts of Cork too, snow drifts in the estate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

BoatMad wrote: »
    I still don’t see where a red warning is justified , it seems way over the top to me
    Cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Was out for quick walk taking a few photos ...it’s dangerous out . A lot of back roads impassable.
    Still falling heavy here and visibility is very poor.
    Roads should improve once more traffic.
    Still freezing hard and windy.
    Up to 20-30 cm in places.
    Kildare/Laois border

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

I guarantee its more than 6 !

Actually now I takes better look it's definitely more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Between Youghal and Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

There's well over 20 cm in Newbridge, I'd say it's well justified considering the forecast was for 4 to 6 cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

I'm sure it's been asked many times but what's MT Cranium's backstory?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There is over 20CM of snow in some parts , roads and in particular paths in an absolute state

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I'm sure it's been asked many times but what's MT Cranium's backstory?

He posted in the technical thread about an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Status red is for 5 counties not everywhere, and considering the amount of snow being forecast for these counties up to noon Thursday I think it's very justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The Mig wrote: »
    Cop on

Sure temps a few degrees below zero , and mostly light accumulations of snow , that’s justifies a red warning , certainly not justified in south Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EastCork2018

Keeping people safe is taking seriously in this country now a days, thankfully. But each to their own as the man says.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Paully D wrote: »

And coming down heavy again... I work.for a private company, if you dont go in you wont get paid even if red warning issued we were told..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

About a foot in Ballymore eustace

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just woke up to easily 7cm here in Blanch. Best day ever!!!

Clonsilla here, just took the traditional approach of a peek under the blind rather than refreshing Boards and it was a childlike experience!

Happy snowfest everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

He posted in the technical thread about an hour ago.

I meant he's Canadian. How did he find boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winter Wonderland here in Naas this morning. Snow has stopped but for how long?

any chance of other counties being added to the red warning?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sure temps a few degrees below zero , and mostly light accumulations of snow , that’s justifies a red warning , certainly not justified in south Wicklow

Just because it isn't bad in your area doesn't mean its not justified , also its for whats to come ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Where abouts in Meath are You?

Im between Lobinstown and Slane, rathkenny area

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement