Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas out of season 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Isn't time a mad thing altogether!? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Went for a walk this evening and I seen two wreaths still up, fairy lights on a garden bush and a lit up garland in the window of one of the houses in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Posy wrote: »
    Isn't time a mad thing altogether!? :D

It's like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Out running last night & spotted a house with lights still up in the garden & bushes... Maybe they're a Nov-Jan kinda family, that or they just like external multicoloured lights all year round
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

DvB wrote: »
    Out running last night & spotted a house with lights still up in the garden & bushes... Maybe they're a Nov-Jan kinda family, that or they just like external multicoloured lights all year round

I have those solar-powered string lights in my back yard. I'm delighted & surprised to say they lit up over Winter!

It might be that with the lights you saw but I'm more inclined to think that they are Christmas lights ;)

Also anyone from Orthodox countries would leave their decorations up 'til late January, so that could be another reason for seeing them.

• Advertisement

I have those solar-powered string lights in my back yard. I'm delighted & surprised to say they lit up over Winter!

It might be that with the lights you saw but I'm more inclined to think that they are Christmas lights ;)

Also anyone from Orthodox countries would leave their decorations up 'til late January, so that could be another reason for seeing them.

It seems they're a November to January crimbo family, running by their house last night & they had all the lights taken down... I wont lie I was a little bit disappointed as seeing them made me smile, reminding me of crimbo.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Anybody when the three Wise Men or Magi got to the stable? My crib shows them waiting at a customs' desk in Judea

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The family stone is on TV3 tonight at 10.30. Great family Christmas movie.

Strange scheduling by TV3 but I’m not complaining :)

Saw a Christmas wreath on a front door yesterday :D Looked a little bit battered but made me smile all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I still see decorations up in many places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This probably doesn't count, but I saw a brussels sprout on the footpath today. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

:D

This probably doesn't count, but I saw a brussels sprout on the footpath today. :D

It's your very own Christmas Calling!

The recent cold snap is certainly is very festive, all we need now is some Christmas Lights.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Does it count as "out of season" if the neighbours still have their Christmas wreath on their front door?!

miamee wrote: »
    Does it count as "out of season" if the neighbours still have their Christmas wreath on their front door?!

It probably goes against what most in here would believe but IMO Christmas stuff still up in February is definitely out of season.

I'll always stick by my opinion that dragging the season out simply dilutes the enjoyment, keeping it short makes it more special IMO & in a time where old values mean less & less as time goes by I want to hold on to Christmas being the best time of year & something special for as long as possible.

Never got the Nov 1st to as along as possible approach, though to be fair, each to their own and whilst it wouldn't be for me if it cheers them up & lifts spirits, go for it!!

It probably goes against what most in here would believe but IMO Christmas stuff still up in February is definitely out of season.

I think the fact that this thread was started on January 8th disproves that theory!

I think the fact that this thread was started on January 8th disproves that theory!

lol... was trying to tread carefully, didnt want to offend any of the lovely folk in here is all:D

miamee wrote: »

Yes it very much counts! :)

Anything outside of Oct-Early Jan is definitely out of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Only Fools and Horses Christmas special was on last night and not as well known but an episode of Brooklyn Nine Nine was a Christmas one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Christmas FM training courses for 2018!

https://radiotraining.ie/upcoming-dublin-radio-training/

• Advertisement

Tin of Quality Street in the office today! :D Bye bye diet! :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I'll always stick by my opinion that dragging the season out simply dilutes the enjoyment, keeping it short makes it more special IMO & in a time where old values mean less & less as time goes by I want to hold on to Christmas being the best time of year & something special for as long as possible.

Never got the Nov 1st to as along as possible approach, though to be fair, each to their own and whilst it wouldn't be for me if it cheers them up & lifts spirits, go for it!!

If one is to follow church teachings, Christmas lasts until early February with Candlemass. For most, Christmas is December and early January. I have seen Christmas decorations left up/forgotten about all year. The important thing is the spirit of Christmas is kept all year.

The next big day is St Patrick's Day and with the pubs gone so bad, I treat it like Christmas these days. Nice meal, lovely wine.

Okay so it’s technically not Christmas, but we were in Homesense last week and we saw these. I had to physically remove my husband from the shop because he kept loudly declaring that they are ‘just leftover Christmas decorations.’ :D

442056.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Wheres homesense?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Wheres homesense?

Cork and Blanchardtown. They are basically a home wares TKMaxx!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Okay so it’s technically not Christmas, but we were in Homesense last week and we saw these. I had to physically remove my husband from the shop because he kept loudly declaring that they are ‘just leftover Christmas decorations.’ :D

442056.jpeg

I work in the Cork one :)

Tell your husband we're sorry but we don't know what comes in :D:pac::pac:

Must go up to Blanchardstown for a nosey so. Was planning on making my own wreath or getting inspiration for one:)

Gregory Porter singing the Christmas song on BBC radio 2 right now !!

He said he lights the fire in July and sticks on Nat King Cole. He's one of us:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The neighbour's Christmas Wreath is still there! At this stage, they must be keeping it for next Christmas :pac:

442919.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement