Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales 24th Feb 2:15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Realistically we can expect to win both games by 5 points. We are slightly better than both teams.

That's what I want, the slam and not a bonus point championship. And I want to see how we react in a high pressure game in Twickenham, that's as close to a world cup scenario as we can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Realistically we can expect to win both games by 5 points. We are slightly better than both teams.

That's what I want, the slam and not a bonus point championship. And I want to see how we react in a high pressure game in Twickenham, that's as close to a world cup scenario as we can get.

If we already have the title wrapped up then englands mindset wont be the same which dilutes that scenario though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Personally, I think mcfadden should be nowhere near the squad. Similarly kearney is done for my money..not sure who should be there instead but it's time to move him on. Not convinced on Aki at all either tbh but thats my opinion

The positives are well mentioned already but farrell, earls and stock dale stood out for me. I thought we were poor at times, particularly in the first half but a wins a win,. Good game to watch but we were far from great imo

tototoe wrote: »
    Personally, I think mcfadden should be nowhere near the squad. Similarly kearney is done for my money..not sure who should be there instead but it's time to move him on. Not convinced on Aki at all either tbh but thats my opinion

The positives are well mentioned already but farrell, earls and stock dale stood out for me. I thought we were poor at times, particularly in the first half but a wins a win,. Good game to watch but we were far from great imo
    The thing about Kearney though is I'm not confident in any other Irish player cover the entire backfield when we play a 13 man defence, I think he is there to stay for now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Unfortunately an awful lot of posters are suggesting exactly that. Complete rubbish of course.

Thankfully I avoided reading such nonsense - missed a few kicks - he is human - and then sometimes Superhuman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

letowski wrote: »
    Genuine case for Earls the best winger in Europe.

I dont think there is. But finally he is truly international level. Joe has been the saving of his career. He was correctly left out in Joe's early days. But has improved superbly since Joe started to work on him. Quite an indictment of the other coaches he has worked with. But great to see the player he has now become.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Stander has had his Weetabix - new man today.

Mmmmm. No need to be saying those kind of things. What sport is this - curling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

What a game, very shaky start then an absolute stormer for about an hour then we let Wales back into it.

I thought Sexton's tap & go was a crazy decision, we needed those 3 points, thankfully at the very next opportunity we took them.

Porter, Earls, Ryan and Farrell were my top performers.

I thought Toner and McFadden (for his cameo) let the game pass them by a bit.

Again in a tight game Joe shows zero faith in his backup half backs which is a concern.

Player Ratings are in :

Kearney - 7. Couple of slight miscues, but invaluable with so many inexperienced players in the mix. Defensive mixups are happening with the newbies in the mix, but his presence keeps them to a minimum.

Earlsie - 8. Is now at his peak, the time wasted trying to turn himself into a 13 a distant memory. A very complete player now.

Farrell - 9. Excellent. Looks like he has been playing international rugby for 50 caps. Or if he had a Henshaw disguise on, people would have been lauding how Henshaw is now so at home in international rugby. Henshaw and Ringrose, will be battling it out for a future in a green shirt beside him. Aki now surplus to needs and his time as a stopgap done.

Aki - 5. Took his try well. But otherwise, the less said, the better.

Stockdale - 6. Hard to crib about 2 tries from a man just finding his feet. Completely at fault for a Welsh try, but he is the business, and Joe time will fix that kind of positioning error, and a fine career as an international wing looks likely.

Sexton - 9. Kicks excluded. 4 with the boot. And we will give him the benefit of the doubt that there was an underlying injury issue affecting him from the tee. Otherwise, world class. The difference between the teams.

Murray - 8. Solid if less eyecatching performance than others of late. He is such a solid player now, he is at a terrific average performance level.

Healy - 8. Is the phrase of the season - 'Healy is back'.

Best - 6. Adequate. Workmanlike. Deserving of his spot still, but the highmileage is starting to show.

Porter - 7. Well Wow Wow Wu Wa! In the context of a young player, recent convert to TH, thrown into the deep end with big boots to fill, all credit to the man. Respect.

Toner - 6. Mixed bag. Solid outing, but Henderson will displace him again for the last two games. Maul skill was yielded the good for his team today though, and he is a master at it.

Ryan - 7. Big game. Big talent. Took an other step up the ladder today, and is delivering. This man was born to international rugby. Getting better with every minute he plays.

O'Mahony - 6. Decent work rate. May have left a little in the dressing room but not much, and kudos for getting the best out of his abilities. Leavy has passed him at this stage, and while he certainly doesnt let the side down, a higher level player in SOB will be needed for the England game.

Stander - 8. Reports of his demise were premature. Back to his bullocking best. A lot of important go forward ball came from him and he was close to playing Total Rugby in the manner of Parisse. Ireland needed him today, and he delivered, overpowering a potentially troublesome Wales back row.

Leavy - 7. Deserved to be selected. But exceeded expectation and is a serious contender for a post-Heaslip settling of the new Ireland backrow. Not the finished product. A few mistakes excusable by inexperience. But will get even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Just dropped in to see the comments. Some are toxic. It's depressing stuff. People oh so predictably trying to get the boot in to certain players. It never ends does it?
    Came in to read about a great win in a game that many predicted we'd lose but instead people are moaning. Sports to enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought we had more knowledgeable posters on here. I've read people saying Sexton played poorly yet in the opening 20 minutes he threw a lovely flat, wide pass for Stockdale's try, dummied a pass in his own 22 to make an outside break that brought play to the Welsh half.

I thought he was the best player on the pitch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    Again in a tight game Joe shows zero faith in his backup half backs which is a concern.

Is it a concern though? I can't imagine any coach would look to haul either Murray or Sexton off after 60/65 minutes. They're the fulcrum of that team. We're in trouble if either of them get injured and I don't think that changes if either Marmion or Carbery get a material amount of pitch time off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

So impressed with Farrell today. Seemed to make yards with every ball he got. Great to have an option at 13! Well deserved MOTM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Some great performances out there. The amount of possession we had against Wales was impressive. My only fear would be 6 easy trys against us in two games. The way Scotland are playing might give us more trouble than any of the previous 3. Think we are the better team and actually don’t think we’ve played to our best yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

A part of me thinks we'll have this won after the Scotland game.

A huge part of me is hoping that England will have an outside shot in the final game. If they need chase after a bonus point win, it might just work in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Clegg wrote: »
    I thought we had more knowledgeable posters on here. I've read people saying Sexton played poorly yet in the opening 20 minutes he threw a lovely flat, wide pass for Stockdale's try, dummied a pass in his own 22 to make an outside break that brought play to the Welsh half.

I thought he was the best player on the pitch today.

Had Sexton not missed the 10 points it would have gone down as one of his best games in an Ireland shirt. He was brilliant today. You could see he was disappointed in his performance after the game. Earls excellent too. A couple of guys could have taken MOM. Farrell was deserving of it too. Playing as he did as a relative newbie probably shaded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Gidea wrote: »
    For people comparing Sexton, Farrell and Halfpenny:

Stats for the last 6 years in 6 nations,

Halfpenny 83.7% (108 out of 129)
    Sexton 80.6% (83 out of 103)
    Farrell 77.8% (112 out of 144)

Sexton is one of the best place-kickers in the competition, just have off days as does every kicker.

I’m surprised it’s so close. Halfpenny’s kicks were beautiful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jaysus, there isn't a team I hate losing to more than Wales so I am delighted we beat them.

Sexton was immense everywhere but the tee, Earls was everywhere - so glad he is delivering on his potential - could feel aggrieved he wasn't man of the match today except Farrell was so bloody brilliant. Scrum held up nicely, Porter put in a proper shift. Leavy is something else, love watching him play.

But you can see that dominating possesion and territory are primary execution is secondary and is easier to fix over time? I think as fans we get too caught up in the highs and lows of victories and defeat , obviously but this team appear to have a consistent plan to ultimate elevation of our level as a rugby nation, the result remains to be seen but all I can ask as a fan is a coherent strategy toward our goal which I see clear as day and this is not just about Joe Schmidt. It's about regional coaches employed to develop the game in areas that do not normally provide talent to the upper end of our game, it's about traditional strength areas being aligned with our national strategy both at schools/youth and professional level. We can be a great rugby country, we have the advantage of competing in few international sports and I think our culture lends itself to rugby. It's easier for me to make this statement now, being a nobody and after a victory. I will still believe this if we lose to Scotland. We have great leadership here, sometimes we might think noone sees the bigger picture but the evidence suggests to me that they do. Like any people, ego will drive them when they need it and hinder them (in terms of some media altercation) when they lack the experience simply. They have the right strategy, they have the right people mainly, from an organisational perspective I think Irish rugby is set up for success. We are lucky fans

Some ref just needs to bin Biggar for his whinging

https://twitter.com/WalesRugby/status/967666725377445888

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Player Ratings are in :

Kearney - 7. Couple of slight miscues, but invaluable with so many inexperienced players in the mix. Defensive mixups are happening with the newbies in the mix, but his presence keeps them to a minimum.

Earlsie - 8. Is now at his peak, the time wasted trying to turn himself into a 13 a distant memory. A very complete player now.

Farrell - 9. Excellent. Looks like he has been playing international rugby for 50 caps. Or if he had a Henshaw disguise on, people would have been lauding how Henshaw is now so at home in international rugby. Henshaw and Ringrose, will be battling it out for a future in a green shirt beside him. Aki now surplus to needs and his time as a stopgap done.

Aki - 5. Took his try well. But otherwise, the less said, the better.

Stockdale - 6. Hard to crib about 2 tries from a man just finding his feet. Completely at fault for a Welsh try, but he is the business, and Joe time will fix that kind of positioning error, and a fine career as an international wing looks likely.

Sexton - 9. Kicks excluded. 4 with the boot. And we will give him the benefit of the doubt that there was an underlying injury issue affecting him from the tee. Otherwise, world class. The difference between the teams.

Murray - 8. Solid if less eyecatching performance than others of late. He is such a solid player now, he is at a terrific average performance level.

Healy - 8. Is the phrase of the season - 'Healy is back'.

Best - 6. Adequate. Workmanlike. Deserving of his spot still, but the highmileage is starting to show.

Porter - 7. Well Wow Wow Wu Wa! In the context of a young player, recent convert to TH, thrown into the deep end with big boots to fill, all credit to the man. Respect.

Toner - 6. Mixed bag. Solid outing, but Henderson will displace him again for the last two games. Maul skill was yielded the good for his team today though, and he is a master at it.

Ryan - 7. Big game. Big talent. Took an other step up the ladder today, and is delivering. This man was born to international rugby. Getting better with every minute he plays.

O'Mahony - 6. Decent work rate. May have left a little in the dressing room but not much, and kudos for getting the best out of his abilities. Leavy has passed him at this stage, and while he certainly doesnt let the side down, a higher level player in SOB will be needed for the England game.

Stander - 8. Reports of his demise were premature. Back to his bullocking best. A lot of important go forward ball came from him and he was close to playing Total Rugby in the manner of Parisse. Ireland needed him today, and he delivered, overpowering a potentially troublesome Wales back row.

Leavy - 7. Deserved to be selected. But exceeded expectation and is a serious contender for a post-Heaslip settling of the new Ireland backrow. Not the finished product. A few mistakes excusable by inexperience. But will get even better.

Got to disagree about POM in particular. He was outstanding yesterday. The only reason Ireland got on top of Wales was because we had quick ball, and you only get quick ball if your back row are dominating at the ruck, driving mauls and securing the ball for the scrum half.

Ireland were 99% effective at the ruck. Ridiculous statistic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A part of me thinks we'll have this won after the Scotland game.

A huge part of me is hoping that England will have an outside shot in the final game. If they need chase after a bonus point win, it might just work in our favour.
    We will If we win we can’t be beat as we have got enough bonus points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

ted1 wrote: »
    We will If we win we can’t be beat as we have got enough bonus points

Assuming a 4 point win against Scotland, England would have to pick up 5 points in both matches for them to beat us outright. So there is a possibility, albeit a small one...

Akrasia wrote: »
    Got to disagree about POM in particular. He was outstanding yesterday. The only reason Ireland got on top of Wales was because we had quick ball, and you only get quick ball if your back row are dominating at the ruck, driving mauls and securing the ball for the scrum half.

Ireland were 99% effective at the ruck. Ridiculous statistic

Have just watched the game back. Hard To find fault with any player really. Poor moments/decisions at times but overall a very good performance from the starting XV.

Stander and Healy going route one when Earls was in 40 yards of space really annoyed me. Stander also made a few other poor decisions but otherwise was his best game at #8 IMO.

Conan was 100% at fault for the last Wales try. If he just stayed in the line it probably wouldnt have happened, at least not so easily. We have a major defensive flaw between 13 channel and wing. It gets exposed too easily too quickly

I pray James Ryan stays healthy. He just doesn't go backwards with ball in hand.

Earls going off was only downside. Calf muscle/cramp was the issue. Hopefully just cramp as it happened after he chased down Steff Evans.

Wayne Barnes is ref for Scotland match. Think that suits us oddly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not sure why Barnes reffing would suit us. He’s a good ref, but tends to pick some aspect of the game and totally focus on it. There’s no knowing in advance what that will be though. In the past we’ve had difficulty reacting to his interpretation, so until the day, it’s hard to see that he will suit us or not.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not sure why Barnes reffing would suit us. He’s a good ref, but tends to pick some aspect of the game and totally focus on it. There’s no knowing in advance what that will be though. In the past we’ve had difficulty reacting to his interpretation, so until the day, it’s hard to see that he will suit us or not.

He tends to not like competition on the floor. Scotland were let away with a lot by Nigel. That wont happen with Barnes. Our ruck work will also be 10 times better then Englands was yesterday.

That could starve scotland of the quick ball they crave and we will also try and make it a very set piece orientated game too.

Ireland's team are just more (rugby) intelligent then England.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    He tends to not like competition on the floor. Scotland were let away with a lot by Nigel. That wont happen with Barnes. Our ruck work will also be 10 times better then Englands was yesterday.

That could starve scotland of the quick ball they crave and we will also try and make it a very set piece orientated game too.

Ireland's team are just more (rugby) intelligent then England.
    Yeah, Scotland got some turnovers that were illegal imo. Guys with their knees on the tackled player should be a penalty against rather than a penalty for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I still don't think Stander is anywhere near the dynamic ball carrier he was prior to picking up that ankle injury in the European 1/4 finals last year.

His work rate remains huge, but I'd say his average yardage per carry is way down on what it was (when everyone had him as an absolute shoo-in for the lions test team).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Very happy with that win! Had been worried all week once the word on Furlong and Henderson came through.

Considering the list of injured players we had for that game, we now see that we have real depth behind the usual first XV.

My stand out players were Sexton, Earls, Farrell and Leavy. Special mention also required for Andrew Porter who has the made the switch to international TH look easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Saw on Twitter:

Wales have conceded 4 tries or more in the 6N 7 times. Last time was 2006 to England. 4 times to same, 3 times to Ireland.

With Garland in charge Wales have conceded 3 tries in the 6N 5 times. 3 times to Ireland including the last time, 5 years ago.

Stands 11-7 in the head to head in six nations games.

Yet it was repeatedly said Wales were our bogey team and have our number.

Interestingly yesterday was irelands narrowest home victory over Wales in the 6/5N since 1990. We either lose or beat them well.

Advertisement