Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales 24th Feb 2:15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Great win and many positives but our defence worries me. Some repressed memories of Argentinians bubbled to the surface there. Real love is honest.

If a team like England or even Scotland get the lion’s share of possession, how are we going to sustain, say, 60 minutes of defence given what happened today? Our main weapon against the other team scoring seems to be to hold onto the ball and not score ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If Paddy Jackson, Keatley or Carberry had missed eight points worth of kicks in the first half of a game, they'd be hung, drawn and quartered.

Also, that tap and go wasn't massively bright given the time and scoreline.

But Sexton was still our best player. The reason he has been so good for so long isn't because of his kicking game. Would much rather a Sexton with the odd ricket in his kicking game and what he adds on the pitch, than 1/2p, who is one of the best kickers I've ever seen, but is so so in open play. I know positions are different but the logic still followx

He absolutely wasn't our best player, sorry. Would have had Earls and Farrell ahead of him at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭IIGeminiII

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Great win and many positives but our defence worries me.

If a team like England or even Scotland get the lion’s share of possession, how are we going to sustain, say, 60 minutes of defence given what happened today? Our main weapon against the other team scoring seems to be to hold onto the ball and not score ourselves.

I'd rather score 5 tries and have to work on our defense, than score no tries and have to work on our attack. Plenty to think about for schmidt and farrell. Hopefully we tighten up and keep the other teams guessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

you will win the grand slam. its 2009 all over again, flattering to deceive but still getting over the line. infighting within the fans on the board, rub of the green with the refs. lots of flaws but opposition don't expose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If Paddy Jackson, Keatley or Carberry had missed eight points worth of kicks in the first half of a game, they'd be hung, drawn and quartered.

Also, that tap and go wasn't massively bright given the time and scoreline.

But Sexton was still our best player. The reason he has been so good for so long isn't because of his kicking game. Would much rather a Sexton with the odd ricket in his kicking game and what he adds on the pitch, than 1/2p, who is one of the best kickers I've ever seen, but is so so in open play. I know positions are different but the logic still followx

He absolutely wasn't our best player, sorry. Would have had Earls and Farrell ahead of him at least.
    Only Third best player, Jesus , he should have been shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

sxt wrote: »
    Statistics don't tell the full story. He misses straight forward kicks the likes happenny and Farrell would never miss, ever.
    Care to look at Farrell's performance in the Italian match?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

So Andrew Porter is an international standard tight head on his fifth appearance in the number 3 jersey. Incredible stuff really

• Administrators Posts: 53,481 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good performance. Great result. A real mixed bag from Ireland today. Wales found it pretty easy to create an overlap out wide. Do that against England and well get destroyed.

Sexton has an off day but meh, that’ll happen. He’ll have more of those as he gets older, it’s up to the other lads to start pushing him now.

Murray balls of steel to nail that kick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    So Andrew Porter is an international standard tight head on his fifth appearance in the number 3 jersey. Incredible stuff really

Especially given his age he's what? 21/22?

Ahm..the whole forum did during the game... revisionism doesn't count.
    Commentators and pundits were saying differently. So no, I don't think so. And no offence, but match threads are awlays full of knee jerk reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

you will win the grand slam. its 2009 all over again, flattering to deceive but still getting over the line. infighting within the fans on the board, rub of the green with the refs. lots of flaws but opposition don't expose them.
    Better than the opposition and wins the championship.
    Reminds me of 2014 and 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I love the 6Ns. I hate the internet during the 6Ns.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

IIGeminiII wrote: »
    Wut? Every kicker has an off day. I remember watching Halfpenny playing Scarlets last year and he couldn't kick a goal for Toulon to save his life. Sexton's goal kicking is one of the reasons he's so valuable ffs.

Not today - was clear in the warm up that he wasn't kicking well, was clear from the first kick. Clear from the captain's run. It is different having an off day and having an off day when there is a niggle that is known about. I'm comparing Sexton with Sexton and the best goalkickers ala Farrell.

Got the ball taken off him twice today as well when he went running into contact. Yes, did some things very well, played close to the gainline, released the outside guys, lovely crosskick for Earls at one stage, but knowing the guy he is, he would be disappointed in that performance

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

Refereeing wasn't good enough today.

• Administrators Posts: 53,481 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also Ulster Rugby I hope you took a serious redner after the man of the match was announced today you bunch of incompetent tits.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Stheno wrote: »
    Especially given his age he's what? 21/22?

Isn't he a tighthead that formally was a loosehead, harder to move that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No, sorry, you are incorrect...do look at the game again.

So tell me where he had a bad game apart from the tee? You still can’t answer that because it didn’t happen. His pass for Stockdales first, cleaning up Murray getting isolated in the build up to Healy’s try, his go forward there created the try. Support for Leavys try. Kicking from hand including his restarts all to notch. Basically you either need to go to spec savers, rewatch the game or are full of it.

That said for an international 10 to miss those kicks is unforgivable, but that doesn’t equate to a bad game.

He ran over a Welsh player (a half back that does that!) to take us to the line for Healys try as well. He was immense today barring the kicking, which we can all agree was appalling.

I had the two voices in the head going when I saw that, one cheering and the other chiding. It’s nerve-wracking watching him in contact.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    Also Ulster Rugby I hope you took a serious render after the man of the match was announced today you bunch of incompetent tits.

Dont tell me Farrell moved to Munster from Ulster?

Not today - was clear in the warm up that he wasn't kicking well, was clear from the first kick. Clear from the captain's run. It is different having an off day and having an off day when there is a niggle that is known about. I'm comparing Sexton with Sexton and the best goalkickers ala Farrell.

Got the ball taken off him twice today as well when he went running into contact. Yes, did some things very well, played close to the gainline, released the outside guys, lovely crosskick for Earls at one stage, but knowing the guy he is, he would be disappointed in that performance
    Yeah, that's fair. Hope whatever the niggle is will be sorted in two weeks. We've had too many 'nearly there' injuries that never resolved in time. Furlong and Henderson being a case in point.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    So tell me where he had a bad game apart from the tee? You still can’t answer that because it didn’t happen. His pass for Stockdales first, cleaning up Murray getting isolated in the build up to Healy’s try, his go forward there created the try. Support for Leavys try. Kicking from hand including his restarts all to notch. Basically you either need to go to spec savers, rewatch the game or are full of it.

That said for an international 10 to miss those kicks is unforgivable, but that doesn’t equate to a bad game.

that restart for Farrell to catch was measured to perfection! Superb kick

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yep

Also Ulster Rugby I hope you took a serious render after the man of the match was announced today you bunch of incompetent tits.

I guess there was a lot of centre talent there a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cowboy848

Just dropped in to see the comments. Some are toxic. It's depressing stuff. People oh so predictably trying to get the boot in to certain players. It never ends does it?

Bit like the online campaign against Matt O Conner at Leinster.

What goes around comes back around.

Went from Ulster to Grenoble in 2014 and then to Munster in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

As long as McFadden doesn't see another minute, that'd be fantastic.

Good performance. Great result. A real mixed bag from Ireland today. Wales found it pretty easy to create an overlap out wide. Do that against England and well get destroyed.

Sexton has an off day but meh, that’ll happen. He’ll have more of those as he gets older, it’s up to the other lads to start pushing him now.

Murray balls of steel to nail that kick.

Overall, they dominated in the collisions and matched a very good pack at scrum-time. I thought we might have problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Cowboy848 wrote: »
    Bit like the online campaign against Matt O Conner at Leinster.

What goes around comes back around.
    So that's what this is, an online campaign?.At leaast you being honest I suppose if a bit sad
    You think Matt O;Conner lost his job because of an online campaign?
    Think again and get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

For people comparing Sexton, Farrell and Halfpenny:

Stats for the last 6 years in 6 nations,

Halfpenny 83.7% (108 out of 129)
    Sexton 80.6% (83 out of 103)
    Farrell 77.8% (112 out of 144)

Sexton is one of the best place-kickers in the competition, just have off days as does every kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cowboy848

You think Matt O;Conner lost his job because of an online campaign?
    Think again and get a grip

Even Tony Ward and other journalists agreed that the pressure came from online trolls until it was insurmountable. I’m not alone in knowing this was the case

Advertisement