Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M40 motorway redesignation and demand management system [works ongoing]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This one will be interesting. Presumably M28 west? Even with those weird junctions at Douglas? Delighted this will happen, but intriguing now that they are sticking M's on the N40, whether chunks of the N25 and N22 (at 120kmh already) will get blues.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This one will be interesting. Presumably M28 west? Even with those weird junctions at Douglas? Delighted this will happen, but intriguing now that they are sticking M's on the N40, whether chunks of the N25 and N22 (at 120kmh already) will get blues.
    I had the same though with the N22. Surely they won't have a 120km/h all purpose DC running into a 100km/h motorway.

I think the whole N40 will become M with Dunkettle getting upgraded

Its possible, I guess, with whats there at the moment. No local access anywhere. Some of the junctions leave a lot to be desired (Douglas) but I can see no reason why it can't. There are no inescapable junctions to cause problems (like the Kilkenny link road did with the M9)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Good. I think this lends credence that the NRR might be on the drawing board.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Good. I think this lends credence that the NRR might be on the drawing board.
    It appears to be reactivated also.

• Advertisement

One other item, there was discussion on the N28 thread about requiring the new M28 to be all purpose between the R610 and the N40 due to the lack of alternative access from Douglas to the N40.

If the N40 in its entirety is to be motorway reclassified this requirement is no longer relevant - and in fact it raises another issue, that the N28 from the R610 to the M40 will have to be motorway, upgrade or no upgrade. There's a second issue in that traffic coming from Carrigaline over Carrs Hill cannot exit the N28 south of the existing Carrs Hill interchange.

So regardless of whether the N28 upgrade gets rejected or not, the N28 between Carrs Hill and the M40 would have to be motorway classified.

Funny that when you hear all the anti-motorway guff and the spiel that a "dual carriageway" would be fine. Even if the M28 doesn't get approved you'll have an basically an elongated motorway sliproad down Carrs Hill that would be an "M28".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I am all for the M28, just to rule that thought out while I ask this question but what is the logical decision in making the N40, the M40?
    Is it just to stop tractors and cyclists from using it?
    I cannot imagine that the speed limit can be increased to the usual 120 km.

kub wrote: »
    I am all for the M28, just to rule that thought out while I ask this question but what is the logical decision in making the N40, the M40?
    Is it just to stop tractors and cyclists from using it?
    I cannot imagine that the speed limit can be increased to the usual 120 km.

The same question can be asked, why is the M50 not the N50.

Tractors and cyclists cause havoc on the N40 and are the primary cause of rolling traffic jams.

Tractors and cyclists, also to stop inappropriate development. In theory you can apply for planning permission for direct access for a house onto the N40 as it stands. The various groups can complain all they like but the county council could theoretically approve it.

With a motorway, its not possible legally. All roads that could be reclassified a motorway, IMO should be.

Speed limit will likely remain 100kmh like most of the M50. I can't imagine 120kmh being put anywhere along it TBH.

Tractors and cyclists, also to stop inappropriate development. In theory you can apply for planning permission for direct access for a house onto the N40 as it stands. The various groups can complain all they like but the county council could theoretically approve it.

With a motorway, its not possible legally. All roads that could be reclassified a motorway, IMO should be.

Speed limit will likely remain 100kmh like most of the M50. I can't imagine 120kmh being put anywhere along it TBH.

Part of the current N40 has a 120kph limit between junctions 1 and 2. This would likely be maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How will access to Vernon Mount be provided?

How will access to Vernon Mount be provided?

That junction is within the lower speed limit area isn't it ?

Perhaps TII burned it down last year to ensure it's not an issue? :D

Vernon mount is on the slip road to the Kinsale Road roundabout. Just stick the "End of motorway" sign where the entrance to Vernon Mount comes off the sliproad. Done!

Vernon mount is on the slip road to the Kinsale Road roundabout. Just stick the "End of motorway" sign where the entrance to Vernon Mount comes off the sliproad. Done!

Still, it would mean that Vernon Mount is only accessible by Motorway which is a big problem.

Where was the entrance to Vernon Mount before the SRR was built? On the old Kinsale Road?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tractors and cyclists cause havoc on the N40 and are the primary cause of rolling traffic jams.

What?! Highly doubtful, can you justify this claim?

Still, it would mean that Vernon Mount is only accessible by Motorway which is a big problem.

Where was the entrance to Vernon Mount before the SRR was built? On the old Kinsale Road?

You are bringing me back now, I remember, old enough to do that and young enough not to ;).

As you pass the old dump on the South Link, there is another road to the left, a narrow one with a bad surface, with a caravan at the end of it ?

Well that used to be the road that you took to get to Vernon Mount, that road went across the Link Road and across what is now the Park & Ride car park and onto the Kinsale Road, breaking out approx opposite the Centra shop.

You are bringing me back now, I remember, old enough to do that and young enough not to ;).

As you pass the old dump on the South Link, there is another road to the left, a narrow one with a bad surface, with a caravan at the end of it ?

Well that used to be the road that you took to get to Vernon Mount, that road went across the Link Road and across what is now the Park & Ride car park and onto the Kinsale Road, breaking out approx opposite the Centra shop.

The old road for getting to Vernon Mount is visible on Google Satellite view, you can see where the old route ran parallel to what is now the N40 and it's severed just east of the Kinsale Road Roundabout. The road out of Vernon Mount was realigned along the westbound carriageway to terminate on the westbound J6 offramp.

There is a housing estate close enough to the Vernon Mount access road where a gated entrance could be put. Does Vernon Mount generate much traffic? The existing entrance is fairly useless as well
    spacetweek wrote: »
    What?! Highly doubtful, can you justify this claim?

I can't prove it but I can back it up. I've met tractors on the N40 and they cause havoc due to traffic having to slow from 100/120km/h down to 20-30km/h in heavy flow.

Cyclists I haven't encountered but there was a cyclist killed on the N40/N22 dual carriageway (120km/h) section last year cycling across an off ramp in difficult visibility conditions. When it was built with the at grade roundabouts and traffic calming was one thing but the 2018 N40 is no place for anything other than motorised vehicular traffic. It's far too dangerous and busy for cyclists, pedestrians and agri vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

JCB heading ballincollig direction at 5.20pm today caused havoc from bloomfield interchange to kinsale road slip, long queues behind him, oblivious.

al2009 wrote: »
    JCB heading ballincollig direction at 5.20pm today caused havoc from bloomfield interchange to kinsale road slip, long queues behind him, oblivious.

Constantly happening. Traffic is so heavy, cars stuck behind simply can’t pull out. Very dangerous.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    The old road for getting to Vernon Mount is visible on Google Satellite view, you can see where the old route ran parallel to what is now the N40 and it's severed just east of the Kinsale Road Roundabout. The road out of Vernon Mount was realigned along the westbound carriageway to terminate on the westbound J6 offramp.

Well spotted Marno, i don't remember the borreens being as straight as those white lines :)

Nothing that we don’t already know but good to see politicians pushing for the NRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Constantly happening. Traffic is so heavy, cars stuck behind simply can’t pull out. Very dangerous.

A Teleporter heading towards the Tunnel Wednesday morning at 7am around Togher in the middle lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Has there been any update on when we can expect to see the blue signs go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

ASAP... Almost hit a cyclist wearing dark clothes and riding his bike on the N40 just after the Togher exit heading east on a rainy Friday evening. No hard shoulder there and he was wearing his earphones. Absolute death wish.

Has there been any update on when we can expect to see the blue signs go up?

Don’t think there’s been anything more than a note showing funding.

Does anyone know how long it takes for a redesignation. This road badly needs it.

It should be in late 2018/early 2019. I'd imagine there will be a public consultation during which the anti-motorway fruitcake wagon will be out in their droves.

marno21 wrote: »
    It should be in late 2018/early 2019. I'd imagine there will be a public consultation during which the anti-motorway fruitcake wagon will be out in their droves.

They’ll find it difficult to find reasons to object if TII want to push this through.

I think that this move is reactionary by TII with Cork City and County Councils looking for additional access to the SRR. Most recently with additional junctions at Mahon.

• Advertisement

They’ll find it difficult to find reasons to object if TII want to push this through.

I think that this move is reactionary by TII with Cork City and County Councils looking for additional access to the SRR. Most recently with additional junctions at Mahon.
    TII will push this through alright, they are fully entitled to. It's the objections that will delay it though.

Any objections to this will show how baseless the objections actually are. This isn't going to affect anyone outside the N40 mainline in any way except for learner drivers, cyclists and pedestrians which really shouldn't be there in the first place.

Having cyclists cycling across offramps and onramps on the 120km/h N22 Balincollig bypass is lunacy when there should be sufficient cycling facilities on the R608 through Ballincollig. There is no need whatsoever to be on the (hopefully soon to be M22) N22.

Advertisement