Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Shooting in Parkland, Florida

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

pilly wrote: »
    It's like saying we give up on crime because there's millions of criminals out there. Ridiculous logic.

You call a halt, you stop that figure growing and eventually the older generation die off.

You can't call a halt. Not unless the US Constitution is changed. And the people have to vote for that. And that won't happen any time soon.

Guns don't really go out of date. I shot a gun made in 1917 last week. It worked perfectly. You'll be waiting a long time for all 300,000,000 guns to be put out of action.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Amazing how the Aussies managed this on a smaller scale without a hell of a body count. As I told another poster earlier 1.5 million people shot dead on American soil since 1968. So what do you suggest carry on, nothing can be done so why try?

A lot of the US population think along the lines of Charleton Heston. He said he'd give up his gun when they prized it from his cold dead hand. They ain't for changing.

By the way, there are roughly as many guns in Oz now as there was before the ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

BattleCorp wrote:
    By the way, there are roughly as many guns in Oz now as there was before the ban.

How many mass shootings in Oz since Jan 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

BattleCorp wrote: »
    A couple of points.

People who are calling for gun control, what does that mean? Are you looking for all guns to be banned, some guns banned, only some people allowed guns or what?

If guns were banned in America today, what do you do about the +300,000,000 guns already in circulation? Time to get real. They can't be taken back from everybody. And if the Government tried, that'd lead to one he'll of a body count.
    Actually you are right, it sounds really hard. Probably shouldn't bother trying. What do you propose?

I'd work towards trying to implement these:
    -Implement background checks on sales of new and old weapons.
    -Require people to obtain a permit before they can legally buy a gun, like a driving licence.
    -Ban anyone with a history of domestic violence/mental illness from owning a gun.
    -Ban the sales of new rapid fire weapons all together, if you want a rapid fire gun then, as you say, there is already plenty in circulation to pick up.
    -Offer a buyback program for guns currently in circulation.

Nobody is claiming this would suddenly stop gun violence in the US but over time it would have an effect.
    Australia isnt the same as America...Im sure you copped that already.
    It's amazing that this point is always made by those resistant to gun control in the US. In any other circumstance the outlier country would look to those countries with results they want to achieve and try to adapt and implement their methods to their needs. But on this one issue it's "We have more gun violence than these countries that don't have gun violence so we have nothing to learn from them on reducing gun violence at all!"

Australia isnt the same as America...Im sure you copped that already.

You're right last mass shooting in Australia in 1996 35 murdered by a gunman . Government 9 days later in bi partisan support brought in restrictive gun laws and a buyback scheme. No mass shootings since of course I'm sure critics in the states at the time said it wouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's like saying we give up on crime because there's millions of criminals out there. Ridiculous logic.

You call a halt, you stop that figure growing and eventually the older generation die off.

You can't call a halt. Not unless the US Constitution is changed. And the people have to vote for that. And that won't happen any time soon.

Guns don't really go out of date. I shot a gun made in 1917 last week. It worked perfectly. You'll be waiting a long time for all 300,000,000 guns to be put out of action.

Offer 5,000 USD buy back per gun.A cost of 1.5 tr USD if all bought into the scheme.lets face it the dummies over there only respond to financial or food incentives and 1.5 tr would be a cheap fix to change the landscape of society.of course adha suffering,uneducated morons would never stand for such a scheme so if will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

You're right last mass shooting in Australia in 1996 35 murdered by a gunman . Government 9 days later in bi partisan support brought in restrictive gun laws and a buyback scheme. No mass shootings since of course I'm sure critics in the states at the time said it wouldn't work.

They have different histories and different mentalities.
    What works for Oz wont necessarily work for America.

Im not against stricter gun control by the way...I think its ridiculously easy to get guns in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Australia's banning of several categories of firearm probably has had no effect on shooting sprees.
    For instance, they effectively banned semi auto and pump action shotguns.
    Now unless the Aussie male is a special breed which is predisposed to use these particular firearms in an illegal manner, why ban these sporting shotguns?
    Here in Ireland there are thousands of pump action and tens of thousands of semi auto shotguns, all owned by regular guys and gals, and without problem.

The fact is, its more important to access the character of the prospective owner rather than the mechanical complexity of the actual firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

smurgen wrote: »
    Offer 5,000 USD buy back per gun.A cost of 1.5 tr USD if all bought into the scheme.lets face it the dummies over there only respond to financial or food incentives and 1.5 tr would be a cheap fix to change the landscape of society.of course adha suffering,uneducated morons would never stand for such a scheme so if will never happen.

5000 dollars per gun! Jeez if it were me I'd clear out the gun safe (except for the Fathers gun and the Grandfathers), put the 50,000 dollars in my ar5e pocket and head down to the gun shop and get the models I always wanted. And bank the 30,000 remaining!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

For compromise sake? It's how you pass bi-partisan legislation. The bill didn't go far enough for many from the pro gun-control lobby who thought Schumer was too soft on the issue.

I agree. But, again, it's a case of overreach. Folks can either get anything done at all, or they risk getting nothing done. And, in fairness, given that we've gone from 'mail order machineguns' to laws like 'types of ammunition not permitted', all in little individual steps, it seems that their best chance of success is those smaller steps. They'll probably get where the want to be eventually, more laws restricting firearms seem to be passed than those loosening the environment.
    If gun owners are genuinely serious about this they would support a little bit of compromise.

See above. "Compromise" usually seems to be more a case of "OK, we'll make the law more strict, but in the interest of compromise, we'll not make it as strict as we'd like." The compromise from the gun owner's perspective was "we don't want to make the law more strict, but in the interest of compromise, we'll make it more strict than we have it now."
    Also the "inconvenience" was considered necessary to ensure background checks were actually carried out. There is no point in closing loopholes in the system when you can just bypass it all together.

It would be no easier or harder to bypass. Instead of deciding to bypass the "on the spot" background check, all one has to do is decide to bypass the "go to the firearms dealer" background check. The method of police verification for both is identical: Pose to be a buyer and ensure that the process is followed. In one case, prosecute those who don't follow the on-the-spot process, in the other case, prosecute those who don't say "OK, let's drive to a dealer and pay him to do what we were going to do anyway".
    Again, the bill didn't actually propose a database, the NRA simply maintained it "could" lead to one.

What it did do was to mandate that records for all sales be maintained for inspection by the federal government for a minimum of 20 years. Is it a database? No. But the requirement was enough to sour some support.
    And anyway, Maryland's experiment involved cataloging gun casings and just because they tried it and it failed the whole idea of a database shouldn't be dismissed. And in Canada, Quebec has actually recently brought back the database.

And has their level of compliance been any better than the level of compliance Canada saw at the national level? Cases in point in the US: It was estimated that the number of persons with rifles requiring registration in CT and NY were 350,000 and about 1,000,000 respectively. Total compliance, 41,347 in CT, and 23,847 in NY. I believe CT's compliance rate was higher than Canada's, and NY's lower. That doesn't mean that there are 1.3million criminals now in NY and CT, mind. We're going through a similar registration period here in California. Our choice is "Register, or spend five minutes with a screwdriver and piece of plastic to make it look ugly". A whole hell of a lot of folks I know are going with the ugly route. I'm not sure what the law is supposed to achieve, but my State government is spending plenty of dollars implementing it. [ETA: The irony is that since the people who wrote the laws don't like guns and thus know little about them, the ugly weapons (known as featureless rifles) are actually more "dangerous" than the ones needing registration,]
    Guess who is not coming for you in your sleep? The US Government. And how many people are genuinely protected from 'gangs' by the fact they own a gun? It's partially a result of this paranoid mindset that leads to a populace swimming in guns and as a result gun violence.

No idea. How many folks have actually used a firearm in a defensive situation? that's a more answerable question, figures varying from over 100,000 a year to 6million a year, depending on which source you choose. (Obviously the higher figure comes from a pro-gun source). The last time the DoJ looked at the question was quite some time ago, in the Clinton era, they concluded more or less a million.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

BattleCorp wrote:

You have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Guns don't die off however.

I'm in favor of gun control, but the reality is you can't unfuc$%^ gun ownership with millions of them out there, how's the war on drugs going? You have a better chance of controlling drugs then guns in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

A lot of people claiming that any increase in legislation on guns would increase law breaking in terms of law breaking/ propensity to violence of American citizens. You must have a pretty low opinion of American citizens in general.

I can't imagine any other first world country having an issue with gun control if they had a history of it similar to the US. Is there something wrong with US citizens as human beings or is this just some bull**** excuse to avoid talking about a serious issue leaving kids dead in US schools?

If the former should the EU start blocking immigration from such an obviously violent group of people? If they are not so violent surely there must be a solution?

I keep hearing that crazy people will find a way to kill people but the vast majority that "find a way" are in the US.

The suggestion that US people are worse than other people is obviously silly so the US must look to their own legislation to bring them in line with first world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Christy42 wrote: »
    A lot of people claiming that any increase in legislation on guns would increase law breaking in terms of law breaking/ propensity to violence of American citizens. You must have a pretty low opinion of American citizens in general.

I can't imagine any other first world country having an issue with gun control if they had a history of it similar to the US. Is there something wrong with US citizens as human beings or is this just some bull**** excuse to avoid talking about a serious issue leaving kids dead in US schools?

If the former should the EU start blocking immigration from such an obviously violent group of people? If they are not so violent surely there must be a solution?

I keep hearing that crazy people will find a way to kill people but the vast majority that "find a way" are in the US.

The suggestion that US people are worse than other people is obviously silly so the US must look to their own legislation to bring them in line with first world countries.

The arguments are of course nonsense. Down the years we have had the same talking points:

* Americans are violent by nature
    * It's a racial diversity problem
    * It's a mental health issue
    * It's the video games/rock music

Fact is the countries with the most guns in circulation have the most gun deaths by and large.

4% of Americans own more than 50% of all guns in the country too so its really only a small group who hold sway over everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

See above. "Compromise" usually seems to be more a case of "OK, we'll make the law more strict, but in the interest of compromise, we'll not make it as strict as we'd like." The compromise from the gun owner's perspective was "we don't want to make the law more strict, but in the interest of compromise, we'll make it more strict than we have it now."
    Wait, I'm confused, I thought the majority of gun owners supported background checks? Coming to the table in agreement on that but not budging further is not compromise, it's the opposite.

It would be no easier or harder to bypass. Instead of deciding to bypass the "on the spot" background check, all one has to do is decide to bypass the "go to the firearms dealer" background check. The method of police verification for both is identical: Pose to be a buyer and ensure that the process is followed. In one case, prosecute those who don't follow the on-the-spot process, in the other case, prosecute those who don't say "OK, let's drive to a dealer and pay him to do what we were going to do anyway".
    Sorry I'm not really following this point and obviously don't know the ins and outs. But if there is a way to bypass the background checks than that is a fault in the system and not the idea itself? Work to improve the system.

What it did do was to mandate that records for all sales be maintained for inspection by the federal government for a minimum of 20 years. Is it a database? No. But the requirement was enough to sour some support.
    See this isn't really a very unreasonable mandate, and the fact that it soured support suggest those people weren't very committed to the cause to begin with. Again it's just feet dragging on a topic they claim to support.
    And has their level of compliance been any better than the level of compliance Canada saw at the national level? Cases in point in the US: It was estimated that the number of persons with rifles requiring registration in CT and NY were 350,000 and about 1,000,000 respectively. Total compliance, 41,347 in CT, and 23,847 in NY. I believe CT's compliance rate was higher than Canada's, and NY's lower. That doesn't mean that there are 1.3million criminals now in NY and CT, mind. We're going through a similar registration period here in California. Our choice is "Register, or spend five minutes with a screwdriver and piece of plastic to make it look ugly". A whole hell of a lot of folks I know are going with the ugly route. I'm not sure what the law is supposed to achieve, but my State government is spending plenty of dollars implementing it. [ETA: The irony is that since the people who wrote the laws don't like guns and thus know little about them, the ugly weapons (known as featureless rifles) are actually more "dangerous" than the ones needing registration,]
    Are we talking a database again? The bill in question didn't ask for a database so the point is moot. And for the record I'd only propose a database of new guns sold so no need to retroactively chase owners.
    No idea. How many folks have actually used a firearm in a defensive situation? that's a more answerable question, figures varying from over 100,000 a year to 6million a year, depending on which source you choose. (Obviously the higher figure comes from a pro-gun source). The last time the DoJ looked at the question was quite some time ago, in the Clinton era, they concluded more or less a million.
    As a hypothetical I'd be pretty confident that if all guns were removed from the hands of ordinary citizens, the lives saved from accidental deaths, domestic violence incidents and suicide would far outweigh those currently saved from defensive situations using guns.

Also what constitutes a "defensive situation"? I know the idea of confronting an intruder in your home is practically romanticised in the US but it's not always the safest or most sensible option. A Harverd study found that "The likelihood of injury when there was a self-defense gun use (10.9%) was basically identical to the likelihood of injury when the victim took no action at all (11.0%),"
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091743515001188

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭muppetshow1451

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The arguments are of course nonsense. Down the years we have had the same talking points:

* Americans are violent by nature
    * It's a racial diversity problem
    * It's a mental health issue
    * It's the video games/rock music

Fact is the countries with the most guns in circulation have the most gun deaths by and large.

4% of Americans own more than 50% of all guns in the country too so its really only a small group who hold sway over everyone else.

Somehow Switzerland doesnt fit in with that.

Wait, I'm confused, I thought the majority of gun owners supported background checks? Coming to the table in agreement on that but not budging further is not compromise, it's the opposite.

Oh, I see where you are coming from. From that perspective you are correct. From the perspective of the overall continuum of regulatory structure, however, any move towards one end inherently involves a move away from the other. Salami tactics, as it were, unless there is something coming back the other way as a quid pro quo: It's a bit like the DACA/Wall thing. Almost everyone wants the Dreamers to get DACA protections or extensions, but it's still being used as a bargaining chip because if it's just given away, what leverage is there for any movement the other direction? A compromise in this context would be the Firearms Owner Protection Act of 1986. Everybody gained something. Gun owners received immunity when traveling through anti-gun states. Anti-gun folks got a ban on the import or creation of new machine guns to private citizens, and prohibition all firearms on those convicted of domestic violence. Industry got a protectionist law requiring that a number of parts of all firearms sold be manufactured in the US. We have generally gotten away from that. I would expect that if Congress takes up another bill now, for example, that in order to get the improvements in the system, the giveaway the anti-gun folks will be asked for is National CCW reciprocity.
    Sorry I'm not really following this point and obviously don't know the ins and outs. But if there is a way to bypass the background checks than that is a fault in the system and not the idea itself? Work to improve the system.

I'm not sure I follow now. As it currently stands, a private party transaction sale can be a case of "I just met you at the range. You like my rifle, and offer me $500 for it. I take the money, hand you the rifle. We walk to our cars, drive away, and never see each other again." This is perfectly legal in many states, subject to criteria such as how many times you can do this, and there is no way for the ATF/DOJ etc to know that the transaction occurred. Same issue if it's a craigslist advert to meet in the Walmart shopping center, etc.

The voted-upon proposal mandates that when the decision to trade firearm for money is made, the two parties would then agree to drive to the local firearms dealer (during business hours) and conduct the transaction there, with the dealer doing the check, paperwork etc. There would be no way of knowing if the two parties failed to do this, no matter what the law says. Similarly, with the Coburn proposal, there would be no way of knowing that the two parties failed to check with NICS at the range/walmart lot etc. In both cases, non-compliance is purely at the discretion of the two parties involved, and enforcement can only happen if one of the two parties is an undercover police officer doing a random sting. Given this, there is additional disincentive to conduce the background check if you are forced to go somewhere else and then pay money, instead of simply providing the ability to do it yourself, immediately. (Or, in other words, there is more likely to be voluntary compliance with the low-impact method than the higher impact method).
    See this isn't really a very unreasonable mandate, and the fact that it soured support suggest those people weren't very committed to the cause to begin with. Again it's just feet dragging on a topic they claim to support.

You may not recognise much a distinction between the idea of a background check, and records-keeping, but it is quite a strong distinction in the minds of a lot of conservatives. They see absolutely no reason why supporting background checks should correlate with supporting records-keeping, folks can be totally supportive of the one and adamantly against the other.
    Are we talking a database again? The bill in question didn't ask for a database so the point is moot. And for the record I'd only propose a database of new guns sold so no need to retroactively chase owners.

In this case, yes. The point is to demonstrate the strong dislike that many firearms owners have for the concept, and the very strong level of distrust that they have that registration will not eventually lead to confiscation. Numbers of that level are not indications of 'whackjobs', it's indication that there is a very severe lack of understanding of concerns of a demographic of otherwise law-abiding and peaceful citizens. From NPR last week: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/31/581879702/in-new-york-gun-owners-balk-at-new-handgun-database

Anyone who took out a handgun license in New York before 2013 — the year the state passed a landmark gun control law — had to contact state police by Jan. 31 or risk criminal charges. That's caused a real backlash, particularly among rural gun owners, who don't entirely trust their state's intentions. [...] A lot of gun owners are angry. While they can agree that so-called "bad guys" shouldn't have access to weapons, some fear that New York is trying to turn them into those bad guys.

What good would a database of new guns sold only be? How about home manufactured firearms? (Not as rare as you might imagine. Blocks of partially machined aluminium are sold with jigs that you drill out in your workshop at home to create AR receivers. Example, https://www.80percentarms.com/products/easy-jig-gen-2-combined-ar-15-and-308-jig?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6YqhiLys2QIVD3R-Ch3QUgmcEAAYASAAEgIeXfD_BwE . To build my FAL, I borrowed my ex-inlaw’s machine shop. And the current level of 3D printing is such that printed firearms capable of surviving a few thousand rounds, enough for a mass murder or two, have been made and proven. That technology is only getting better over time).
    As a hypothetical I'd be pretty confident that if all guns were removed from the hands of ordinary citizens, the lives saved from accidental deaths, domestic violence incidents and suicide would far outweigh those currently saved from defensive situations using guns.

Also what constitutes a "defensive situation"? I know the idea of confronting an intruder in your home is practically romanticised in the US but it's not always the safest or most sensible option. A Harverd study found that "The likelihood of injury when there was a self-defense gun use (10.9%) was basically identical to the likelihood of injury when the victim took no action at all (11.0%),"
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091743515001188

It's a fair question to hypothesise, though involves counterfactuals. We know that in 2015, there were some 325 justifiable homicides by private citizens. CDC indicates that there were 461 accidental deaths by firearm. (Out of 136,000 accidental deaths by injury. We're very good at killing ourselves). So in terms of raw deaths caused, your immediate point is valid. However, a firearm need not be discharged to be effective in the self defense environment.

Quoting the CDC-sponsored study from 2013. http://www.ncdsv.org/images/IOM-NRC_Priorities-for-Research-to-reduce-the-threat-of-firearm-related-violence_2013.pdf

Defensive uses of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed (Cook and Ludwig, 1996; Kleck, 2001a). Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year (Kleck, 2001a), in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 (BJS, 2010). [...]A different issue is whether defensive uses of guns, however numerous or rare they may be, are effective in preventing injury to the gunwielding crime victim. Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was “used” by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.

Unfortunately, the article you cite seems to be behind a pay wall, so I can't offer an explanation as to why the two seem to be in contradiction to each other. Of course, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics, and one can often cite competing assessments at each other in these sorts of arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭degsie

Mr Trump has once again confirmed that this is a mental health issue, ONLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Somehow Switzerland doesnt fit in with that.

Yep, gun capital of Europe... while also being one of the most peaceful, non-violent countries on earth!

Careful with this line of debating... it can bring about some very uncomfortable truths, for people who are desperate to make this all about gun control. :P

The US of A has a very deep-rooted historical problem with violence and crime... that is primarily what needs to be focused on, and adequately tackled.

(Instead of the particular tools being chosen to commit said crimes!)

Yep, gun capital of Europe... while also being one of the most peaceful, non-violent countries on earth!

Careful with this line of debating... it can bring about some very uncomfortable truths, for people who are desperate to make this all about gun control. :P

The US of A has a very deep-rooted historical problem with violence and crime... that is primarily what needs to be focused on, and adequately tackled.

(Instead of the particular tools being chosen to commit said crimes!)

If I thought some people were more likely to commit violence I would still prefer they did not have guns during the rehab. Maybe we can go with both? Ban guns and deal with the historical issues. Gun laws can be relaxed again after that is fixed!

Seems far more sensible to deal with the issue short and long term. I agree the issue is more on America's weird relationship with guns and a massive distrust of authority but taking away the means would reduce the number of these cases/number of deaths. It won't happen but maybe a bit of a tightening in laws would not kill gun owners?

I see the FBI taking some flak for the warnings they for on this kid but what crime had he committed before this horrific attack? Could they have removed access from legal guns? That would seem sensible in these cases where there is strong suspicion someone might do something.

• Advertisement

Not a clue. I'm going to guess zero. Gun deaths are down in Oz, that's true.

There are two ways of looking at it. You can say the (sort of) gun ban resulted in a drop in gun deaths. That would back up the ban the guns side.

Or

You can say that the number of guns is now the same as before the (sort of) gun ban yet gun deaths are down so it mustn't have been the guns.

Not a clue. I'm going to guess zero. Gun deaths are down in Oz, that's true.

There are two ways of looking at it. You can say the (sort of) gun ban resulted in a drop in gun deaths. That would back up the ban the guns side.

Or

You can say that the number of guns is now the same as before the (sort of) gun ban yet gun deaths are down so it mustn't have been the guns.

Could it have related to the types of guns now in circulation or the people who make up the majority of the gun owners now? Have those stats shifted at all?

Of course it is always going to be tough to show correlation in legislation. In both the UK and Australia the gun laws were driven by the sheer horror that the people felt at these incidents. It is quite possible that this shift in the national psyche caused the reduction in firearms deaths. Americans have not reacted the same way to these incidents (indeed many parents of the Sandy Hook massacre have been hounded by conspiracy nuts which is a massively different reaction).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

degsie wrote: »
    Mr Trump has once again confirmed that this is a mental health issue, ONLY.

So did anyone ask him why he reversed an order that Obama made that stopped certain people with mental health conditions from buying guns?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    So did anyone ask him why he reversed an order that Obama made that stopped certain people with mental health conditions from buying guns?

Oddly, I can't seem to find a statement from him specifically on the matter, though as it was a law passed by congress, I'm sure some politicians have statements. The general gist is it removed firearms rights without due process or any evidence that they may pose a threat.

Here is the letter from ACLU asking the house to reverse the regulation.
    https://waysandmeans.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ACLU.pdf
    We oppose this rule because it advances and reinforces the harmful stereotype that people with mental disabilities, a vast and diverse group of citizens, are violent. There is no data to support a connection between the need for a representative payee to manage one’s Social Security disability benefits and a propensity toward gun violence[...]The rule includes no meaningful due process protections prior to the SSA’s transmittal of names to the NICS database

See also this Obama-appointed disability rights advocate.
    https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/2/6/14522132/gun-control-disabilities-republicans-nra-obama

But this time, I and my disability rights colleagues found myself in an unusual position: siding with the Republicans and, yes, the National Rifle Association. Because while congressional Democrats have been admirable allies to the disability community on the vast majority of issues, when it comes to gun violence, both parties use people with mental illness as props — in ways that don’t help public safety, and that put vulnerable people at risk. In this case, it was the Democrats that got the issue wrong.[...] Last December, the Social Security Administration issued a new regulation that had the dubious distinction of bringing together pro-gun groups, and disability and civil rights advocates — the latter including the ACLU and the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.

Oddly, I can't seem to find a statement from him specifically on the matter, though as it was a law passed by congress, I'm sure some politicians have statements. The general gist is it removed firearms rights without due process or any evidence that they may pose a threat.

Here is the letter from ACLU asking the house to reverse the regulation.
    https://waysandmeans.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ACLU.pdf
    We oppose this rule because it advances and reinforces the harmful stereotype that people with mental disabilities, a vast and diverse group of citizens, are violent. There is no data to support a connection between the need for a representative payee to manage one’s Social Security disability benefits and a propensity toward gun violence[...]The rule includes no meaningful due process protections prior to the SSA’s transmittal of names to the NICS database

See also this Obama-appointed disability rights advocate.
    https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/2/6/14522132/gun-control-disabilities-republicans-nra-obama

But this time, I and my disability rights colleagues found myself in an unusual position: siding with the Republicans and, yes, the National Rifle Association. Because while congressional Democrats have been admirable allies to the disability community on the vast majority of issues, when it comes to gun violence, both parties use people with mental illness as props — in ways that don’t help public safety, and that put vulnerable people at risk. In this case, it was the Democrats that got the issue wrong.[...] Last December, the Social Security Administration issued a new regulation that had the dubious distinction of bringing together pro-gun groups, and disability and civil rights advocates — the latter including the ACLU and the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.

Except Donald Trump has specifically gone against these view points by saying it is a mental health issue. The main point of them seems to be the singling out of those with mental health issues as opposed to specific rights themselves. Trump on the other hand singled out mental illness specifically as the reason for this attack.

Trump needs (well he doesn't need, not enough people care) to take some action. If he thinks it is a mental health issue then funding should be increased in this area and policies made to combat the issue. Instead it is just fighting against any sort of change to very real problem that are leaving children dead. Without a serious attempt to take actions that they think will solve the issue they are just cowards defending their funders.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Except Donald Trump has specifically gone against these view points by saying it is a mental health issue. The main point of them seems to be the singling out of those with mental health issues as opposed to specific rights themselves. Trump on the other hand singled out mental illness specifically as the reason for this attack.

Trump needs (well he doesn't need, not enough people care) to take some action. If he thinks it is a mental health issue then funding should be increased in this area and policies made to combat the issue. Instead it is just fighting against any sort of change to very real problem that are leaving children dead. Without a serious attempt to take actions that they think will solve the issue they are just cowards defending their funders.

It is a mental health issue. Normal people who own guns don't go shooting up schools.

There are semi auto rifles in lots of countries and they don't have the problems that the US has.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Boomtown Rats had a Number 1 hit back in 1979 about a School Shooting with I don't like Mondays.

And he can see no reasons 'cause there are no reasons
    What reason do you need to die, die

40 years later and what's changed ?

40 years later and what's changed ?

The number of dead kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It is a mental health issue. Normal people who own guns don't go shooting up schools.

There are semi auto rifles in lots of countries and they don't have the problems that the US has.

I'd say it's a mental health and guns issue. There are plenty of people with mental health issues in other countries too but they don't have the same problems as the US.

• Advertisement

So then why did Trump reverse Obama's legislation? Why is he letting people he feels are dangerous run around with guns? Why is Trump (or the Republicans) not promising legislation with regards to this?

People are disagreeing on what the fundamental cause is but it feels like only one side has attempted to fix the issue. All I have seen from Republicans is just repeated (successful) attempts to ignore these attacks.

Oh and other countries have mental health issues as well so surely by your logic it is not a mental health issue as they don't have the problems the US has?

Advertisement