Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0205/938362-stripe-expansion/

Wasn't even aware that Stripe had offices in Dublin. Nevertheless, it's kind of disappointing that two lads from Limerick didn't establish their offices here, instead of opting for Dublin. Obviously, there are mitigating factors (shareholders influence, probable lack of suitable office space in Limerick at the moment), but it looks like a lost opportunity for the city..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Limerick has a lot of positives going for it, but I think we still have a long way to go before we're seen as an attractive place for this kind of company setting up here. It isn't just about the office space not being available. We don't have decent standard residential accommodation in the city centre either.

For the most part we don't have a very pleasant city centre, and when we try and fix this we over-complicate the solutions (O'Connell Street, William Street and the Quays being good examples of how not to go about things). A few simple tweaks would lead to a transformation of the city centre over time. Just stop through-traffic going along most city centre streets except primary arteries. That would fundamentally improve the streets and make them more appealing to invest in, to hang around, to live in. It wouldn't need millions from the EU. It's so simple, but the penny hasn't dropped with those that can make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Howleys quay has risible bollards but are rarely used. It's meant to be a shared space but is still primarily used by vehicles travelling well above the sign posted limit.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Howleys quay has risible bollards but are rarely used. It's meant to be a shared space but is still primarily used by vehicles travelling well above the sign posted limit.

Yep, Howley's Quay is an example of the Council trying to do something right, but just couldn't bring themselves to not allow cars on it. So, it's effectively still a roadway with hundreds of unsightly white bollards and very narrow footpaths that aren't much good for pedestrians or for businesses. There's no reason it couldn't be fixed by having those risable bollards raised more often than lowered.

zulutango wrote: »
    Yep, Howley's Quay is an example of the Council trying to do something right, but just couldn't bring themselves to not allow cars on it. So, it's effectively still a roadway with hundreds of unsightly white bollards and very narrow footpaths that aren't much good for pedestrians or for businesses. There's no reason it couldn't be fixed by having those risable bollards raised more often than lowered.
    Maybe if they were rised between 7pm and 7am and during certain times during the day much like the times Bedford rw etc are closed.

• Advertisement

That would be a start. I struggle to see why traffic is allowed down there at all. Cars could get to the multi-story on Harvey's Quay via Henry Street and Lower Shannon Street. Closing Howley's Quay to traffic could create a great space by the river for people to enjoy. Could put benches and landscaping there permanently. House could have an outdoor, covered seated area right by the river without cars whizzing by.

zulutango wrote: »
    That would be a start. I struggle to see why traffic is allowed down there at all. Cars could get to the multi-story on Harvey's Quay via Henry Street and Lower Shannon Street. Closing Howley's Quay to traffic could create a great space by the river for people to enjoy. Could put benches and landscaping there permanently. House could have an outdoor, covered seated area right by the river without cars whizzing by.
    It would definitely make it more attractive. Could you imagine summer time concerts under that awning down by the river if there was more space available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

It would definitely make it more attractive. Could you imagine summer time concerts under that awning down by the river if there was more space available

with a bag of dutch gold and a burrito....

Chalk it down! My teenage years were spent drinking Dutch Gold at the other side of the river on O'Callaghan Strand. There was no burritos in those days though. Simpler, more peaceful times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Lads what is the Manned times @ the tunnel Asking for a friend who was stuck behind someone who had only notes last nite. I thought it was manned till 22.00. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Pssstt. You know those new houses by the train station. The council forgot to put up parking restrictions outside the houses or in the parking spaces so for now technically it's free parking. No markings, other than yellow lines in the obvious places, no sign posts either.

If you'd park there of course.

Lads what is the Manned times @ the tunnel Asking for a friend who was stuck behind someone who had only notes last nite. I thought it was manned till 22.00. ??

Not unless there's something big on have i noticed manned booths.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Isn't the mainline N18 toll plaza manned 24h and the Clonmacken toll plaza only manned during heavy traffic periods? e.g. match at Thomond/Gaelic Grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Have they invested in contactless card payments yet?

Berty wrote: »
    Pssstt. You know those new houses by the train station. The council forgot to put up parking restrictions outside the houses or in the parking spaces so for now technically it's free parking. No markings, other than yellow lines in the obvious places, no sign posts either.

If you'd park there of course.

*Books 6 train trips for no reason*

Take that LCC!! :pac:

lads...anywhere in limerick i can walk in and print 190 pages.

marno21 wrote: »
    Isn't the mainline N18 toll plaza manned 24h and the Clonmacken toll plaza only manned during heavy traffic periods? e.g. match at Thomond/Gaelic Grounds

i dont know i have a tag dont even know what the left side looks like :D:D:D. i was just asking for work mate

It's an exciting day for Limerick as Nightflyers is launched (in Dublin :rolleyes:)

https://twitter.com/innovatelmk/status/961916700445888512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It's an exciting day for Limerick as Nightflyers is launched (in Dublin :rolleyes:)

https://twitter.com/innovatelmk/status/961916700445888512

Why was it launched in Dublin i wonder? Seems a bit random :confused:

• Advertisement

Just saw in the news that stripe are opening a new engineering hub in Dublin rather than their home town in spite of them saying Dublin is facing a housing crisis

Just saw in the news that stripe are opening a new engineering hub in Dublin rather than their home town in spite of them saying Dublin is facing a housing crisis

Despite what the media tell you there is a talent shortage in Limerick Its near impossible to get and retain skills here. Opening a engineering hub in limerick isnt much good if you have no engineers to fill it.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Despite what the media tell you there is a talent shortage in Limerick Its near impossible to get and retain skills here. Opening a engineering hub in limerick isnt much good if you have no engineers to fill it.

Alas wouldn't a hub attract the workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A good pal of mine would love to move down to Limerick but has to stay in Dublin as that is where the work is. He would move in the morning but there ia nothing to move to.

A good pal of mine would love to move down to Limerick but has to stay in Dublin as that is where the work is. He would move in the morning but there ia nothing to move to.

Exactly my point, if there's jobs here, people will relocate, you just have to look at the likes of Northern Trust and a few other employers

Lads calling around dooradoyle /raheen area in white 162 van doing the usual asking about do u want ur drive sealed crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

There was a break in last night in the Ard Aulin Estate in Mungret @ around half 9.

2 arrested, 2 got away. The neighbours alerted the Guards and they were on the scene in 5 mins. The house that was burgled had 2 cars parked outside but the theifs still had the balls to break into the place.

Just lettings people know to keep an eye out.

It is literally 5 days before u get send u back ur new drivers licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Liam Aherne will be missed on Limerick's Live.

• Advertisement

Is he moving to RTE?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement