Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would you check out the car sharing websites available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Would you check out the car sharing websites available?

Thanks i did. Just trying other avenues online and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I still see ads for recruiting in Athlone.

I still see ads for recruiting in Athlone.

Me too. Removal of deadwood still can be done in parallel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Small number I believe. Athlone plan is to grow the centre as it's R&D focused which is currently immune to what is being planned according to reports. 600 gone in Italy though so Ireland has got off relatively lightly

What in the name of all that is holy is the point of the traffic lights as you turn for the town centre coming from crescent towards railway station? Ive never seen a need for that set. Can anyone enlighten me?

What in the name of all that is holy is the point of the traffic lights as you turn for the town centre coming from crescent towards railway station? Ive never seen a need for that set. Can anyone enlighten me?
    The council met a good salesman!
    Plus, their traffic engineer only trained on the section that involves installing traffic lights, they don't seem to know that there are other types of junction out there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well they were possibly shoved in there in anticipation of the proposed road through the Bus Eireann land, if it ever goes through. I do agree it doesn't make sense at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Are they the one's as you come out of the ATC car park beside St Francis Terrace? I never noticed them before until a few months ago but my passenger said they have always been there [since the shopping centre was built]

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Are they the one's as you come out of the ATC car park beside St Francis Terrace? I never noticed them before until a few months ago but my passenger said they have always been there [since the shopping centre was built]

Aye, the worse part is that they've been kept. A simple stop sign or pedestrian crossing would have sorted this crap. 10 years FFS

Aye, the worse part is that they've been kept. A simple stop sign or pedestrian crossing would have sorted this crap. 10 years FFS
    I'm more scared that I've driven through them for the past 10 years and not noticed them!! I always look ahead to the lights at t-junction where the road comes down from the train station and heads into the crescent junction.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm more scared that I've driven through them for the past 10 years and not noticed them!! I always look ahead to the lights at t-junction where the road comes down from the train station and heads into the crescent junction.

Well they only come into play where your going the opposite way i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Wash house road I think its called.

It goes along by AIT from Cyprus Gardens to the roundabout near smiths toys.

Anyway yesterday I was unfortunate enough to be behind a bus picking up students going westbound on that road, when another bus came from the opposite direction and also stopped to pick students eastbound. Both buses just STOPPED!!!!!! completely blocking the road in both directions while people trundled on and off.

now come on lads sure you cant be at that

surely something has to be done about this ludicrous situation

That sums up Athlone traffic management quite well*, they seem to be quite happy to make driving in the town as painful as possible.

*having two bus stops directly opposite each other where the traffic is completely stopped when two buses arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah it's ridiculous, the bus stop going towards Garrycastle should be in off the road, I know it'd mean taking the wall away and a bit of work moving the footpath, but it causes big tailbacks in the evening time.

martin1 wrote: »
    Wash house road I think its called.

It goes along by AIT from Cyprus Gardens to the roundabout near smiths toys.

Anyway yesterday I was unfortunate enough to be behind a bus picking up students going westbound on that road, when another bus came from the opposite direction and also stopped to pick students eastbound. Both buses just STOPPED!!!!!! completely blocking the road in both directions while people trundled on and off.

now come on lads sure you cant be at that

surely something has to be done about this ludicrous situation

It's a longish road, they could at least stagger the bus stops, move one closer to the roundabout near Lidl, the other nearer to the main college campus side gate.
    But the chances of two buses being at the stops at the same time? I'm in the college 3 times a week: 2 evenings and one morning and I've never seen a bus at both stops at the same time - maybe I'm just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Mad thing is, there's a bus shelter on campus that buses can access by turning into the campus at the Willow Park roundabout, follow the road (the kart track it was called when it was first built) to the back and pick up the students from there.
    Originally the car park directly in front of the Hospitality building was lined out to be a mini bus station but it never got used.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

I have an appointment in Athlone on Wednesday around Midday, due to work comitments i need the phone and cant send it away. Can anyone recomend somewhere that could repair it while in Athlone. Its an Iphone 6 that needs a charging port and more than likely a battery. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I have an appointment in Athlone on Wednesday around Midday, due to work comitments i need the phone and cant send it away. Can anyone recomend somewhere that could repair it while in Athlone. Its an Iphone 6 that needs a charging port and more than likely a battery. Thanks

Wireless / Fixmyi opposite Dunnes Stores. Only place I’d leave a phone to be repaired. Have used the others and wouldn’t recommend them.

• Advertisement

I've looked at the one way system plan and actually am starting to warm to it.

With the expanded bus services combined with the extra space allowed for cyclists through the one way, this is good for all concerned. There's always going to be those who want to park outside Eddie Rockets types who will object, but the area concerned is a 5 minute walk if they want to park and walk onward.

Next step for me is to get Texas centre converted to apartments and car parks and generally get more people living in and around town.

These things work well given adjustment time. We have 6 exits on the N6 to use to get closer to whatever area of town we want to head to if the car is needed.

Next step for me is to get Texas centre converted to apartments and car parks and generally get more people living in and around town.

Agree about trying to get more people living in town. If you look at population stats going back, there are almost 2,000 fewer people living in the 2 town centre ED's on either side of the river in 2016 compared to 1981. There's plenty of space for it and the demand would appear to be there again.

Lovely weather we've been having.

I see the one way system is a disaster already, traffic lights out of action at the crescent. Not looking forward to going through town monday morning.

Agree about trying to get more people living in town. If you look at population stats going back, there are almost 2,000 fewer people living in the 2 town centre ED's on either side of the river in 2016 compared to 1981. There's plenty of space for it and the demand would appear to be there again.

I just seen that part of the Texas building was sold recently - the bit up near St. Mary's that was to be duplex houses.

Hopefully it will be finished off soon, its an awful eyesore there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Looking forward to an effectual announcement for Athlone regarding the national planning framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I just seen that part of the Texas building was sold recently - the bit up near St. Mary's that was to be duplex houses.

Hopefully it will be finished off soon, its an awful eyesore there at the moment.

According to the Westmeath, it was the main shopping centre part that was sold - the multi-storey and the part facing onto St. Mary's Place wasn't sold.

whyulittle wrote: »
    According to the Westmeath, it was the main shopping centre part that was sold - the multi-storey and the part facing onto St. Mary's Place wasn't sold.

This is the section of the building i meant.

441819.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Obviously different sales so; the shopping centre part was sold for ~€2.3 million to Bennett Construction.

• Advertisement

I'd say they broke them up into different lots to try sell them. Its a bit of a shambles down there so with sales going through, hopefully we will see some work done soon.

Wonder what Bennetts are going doing? Was there anything in the paper about it?

Advertisement