Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    where will you put the reservoirs?
    Lough Ree.. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

South of Clonown might be a suitable location for Reservoirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

No need for reservoirs... Lough Ree is the answer

Lets assume 100% of water supply for the greater Dublin area comes from Lough Ree. Now you can take whatever figure you want from page 14 of the report linked below but i'm going with a total long term 'production requirement' for the greater Dublin area of 840 million litres per day (for ease of maths!)
    http://www.watersupplyproject.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Vol-3_WSP-Economic-Needs-Report.pdf

Lough Ree is 105 km2 thus equals 105,000,000 metres squared. 1 mm of water spread over a square metre equals 1 litre and so if there was zero in-flow into the lake on a given day (impossible ... there is always ground water flowing in even during the recent dry spell), then the water supply to Dublin would require ~8mm off the lake.
    To put it another way, greater Dublin area longer terms water needs (which assumes no fixing of leaks and other daft assumptions) would be comfortably met by 10 inches of water from the lake per month. If in the recent incredibly dry spell, would it have been news if the lake had dropped another 10 inches ? Of course not.

Of course the reality is ultimately (in years to come) that poorly informed local interests will ensure that hundreds and hundreds of millions of tax payers money will be spent diverting flood water into a new reservoir built in cut-away ex Bord na Mona bogs

One final stat ... the average long term flow rate at Athlone is 8,467,200,000 litres per day. Based on a long term 'production need' for the greater Dublin area of 840 million litres (and that also assumes that Lough Ree would be the only supply ... which wouldn't have to be the case, i.e.: existing reservoirs could surely continue to be used), then that equals just under 10% of the average long term flow rate in Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

blast06 wrote: »
    No need for reservoirs... Lough Ree is the answer

Lets assume 100% of water supply for the greater Dublin area comes from Lough Ree. Now you can take whatever figure you want from page 14 of the report linked below but i'm going with a total long term 'production requirement' for the greater Dublin area of 840 million litres per day (for ease of maths!)
    http://www.watersupplyproject.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Vol-3_WSP-Economic-Needs-Report.pdf

Lough Ree is 105 km2 thus equals 105,000,000 metres squared. 1 mm of water spread over a square metre equals 1 litre and so if there was zero in-flow into the lake on a given day (impossible ... there is always ground water flowing in even during the recent dry spell), then the water supply to Dublin would require ~8mm off the lake.
    To put it another way, greater Dublin area longer terms water needs (which assumes no fixing of leaks and other daft assumptions) would be comfortably met by 10 inches of water from the lake per month. If in the recent incredibly dry spell, would it have been news if the lake had dropped another 10 inches ? Of course not.

Of course the reality is ultimately (in years to come) that poorly informed local interests will ensure that hundreds and hundreds of millions of tax payers money will be spent diverting flood water into a new reservoir built in cut-away ex Bord na Mona bogs

One final stat ... the average long term flow rate at Athlone is 8,467,200,000 litres per days. Based on a long term production need of 840 million litres, then that equals just under 10% of the average long term flow rate in Athlone.
    the ESB already back up the water as far as Ballyleague every winter
    anymore water and the farmland in the southern end of the lake will be flooded

drive up the northern end of the lake
    it is very low at the moment

the ESB already back up the water as far as Ballyleague every winter
    anymore water and the farmland in the southern end of the lake will be flooded

drive up the northern end of the lake
    it is very low at the moment

So you're suggesting another few inches of a drop would make the entire project unfeasible ?
    The data i have detailed shows imo that the lake does not need to be further backed up to theoretically supply the greater Dublin area with 100% of its water.
    Where i said 10" per month off the lake, in reality it would be a lot less given continued used of other reservoirs (you can't just have 1 - you need a backup to deal with natural disaster, terrorist action, etc), more controlled flow of the river in Athlone if required, etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

where will you put the reservoirs?

One step at a time I haven't thought that through yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

Athlone could do with bringing in more American etc companies to bring more jobs for the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Steven81 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea opposite Supervalue in Monksland the equipment there, seems a silly place to have them on the main road, never see anyone use them.

It's be interesting to know how much they cost to be installed. I've seen them in use twice since they were put in (proper use not children playing on them) and I pass them a few times a day. They are in a terrible location beside a busy road and with no rain/wind protection. It's not like we live in California here and have the weather to enjoy open air gyms!

O Neill's pub. 2 questions...

1) Insurance scam?
    2) Why not replaced yet?

At the time I remember something about one of the bar staff causing the fire by leaving a portable heater turned on to prevent the pipes freezing in the basement/store which also had gas cylinders in there and the insurance company refusing to pay out. Could have been nonsense, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭flowerbattle

cena wrote: »
    Athlone could do with bringing in more American etc companies to bring more jobs for the town

Or encouraging local business so don't depend on foreign jobs that can easily go!

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »

and then when the yanks move to another country, the town is fricked

and then when the yanks move to another country, the town is fricked

Yes, that's the attitude .... lets ensure we get no foreign direct investment in the town so that we don't end up 'fricked' in future if they ever decide to move on.

Lets definitely not think along the lines of embracing any FDI we get and having a outward looking, open, adaptable work force who are hungry to achieve and move their company up the food ladder of the relevant multi-national to make the Athlone 'branch' business critical and strategic to the multi-national.

Yes, definitely no FDI .... such a pity you weren't there to influence Ericsson 40 years ago when they came to Athlone so as to ensure we wouldn't be 'fricked' if they ever leave

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

whyulittle wrote: »

Portlaoise acting as part of Dublin's hinterland.

https://twitter.com/2ha_magazine/status/847054488951275521
    Interesting- Westmeath is effectively split into two sphere's of influence- the west of the county is dominated by Athlone's Red, while the east (Mullingar/Kinnegad/Killucan etc) by Dublin's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

room_149 wrote: »
    Interesting- Westmeath is effectively split into two sphere's of influence- the west of the county is dominated by Athlone's Red, while the east (Mullingar/Kinnegad/Killucan etc) by Dublin's Green.

Also interesting to note Athlone's commuters come from Roscommon, Ballinasloe, Tullamore, Birr, Clara and Ballymahon - but very few from Longford or Mullingar despite their proximity. Probably has a lot to do with the state of the roads from Longford and Mullingar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Also interesting to note Athlone's commuters come from Roscommon, Ballinasloe, Tullamore, Birr, Clara and Ballymahon - but very few from Longford or Mullingar despite their proximity. Probably has a lot to do with the state of the roads from Longford and Mullingar.

The road to and from Longford isn't too bad. As for Mullingar, you could always take the motorway all the way.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    The road to and from Longford isn't too bad. As for Mullingar, you could always take the motorway all the way.

The road is not too bad as far as Ballymahon but after that the up through Kenagh isn't great. Its driveable, but not a commute I'd like to be doing every day, especially in winter. Mullingar by motorway is fine all right but it's a very round about way of getting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Mullingar's roughly the same distance from Dublin as Portlaoise so that's a key factor too I'd assume, also the rail link isn't too bad for commuters. Though it's not as quite fast as the Portloaise to Hueston service. In saying that, the Mullingar service hits more central city locations -Drumcondra, Connolly, Docklands, Pearse etc

Some interesting CSO census 2016 population data by electoral divisions (these are what they use when creating the official population stats for an area)

http://airomaps.nuim.ie/id/Census_2016/P2_PopDist/

Athlone Urban
    East - 4382
    West - 3260

Athlone Rural
    East - 7560
    West - 4978
    Total: 20180

Nearby areas I'd consider as partly in Athlone from the map / would be in the hinterland of the town
    Moydrum - 2922
    Crannagh - 1171
    Thomastown - 736
    Tubbrit - 689

What this really shows is that the official town boundary needs to be extended to incorporate all areas which are effectively part of the urban area today and with the rural hinterland now stretching into surrounding areas such as Moydrum and Crannagh in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Really nice picture on the front of the westmeath this week of the proposed new cycle/pedestrian bridge.

Would be a great boon to the town if it ever gets built.

If it was combined with a boardwalk it would be a great new amenity for Athlone.

Cant see the paper, is it a pedestrian bridge over the river?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Football club got broken into again yesterday...thats 3 on my watch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That's awful, as if the club isn't struggling enough already?!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I hope there were no match fixing files stolen ;-)

wouldn't be surprised if it was done by criminals connected to betting rings

I'd be shocked if the club was keeping files and documents relating to illegal match fixing on site.

It'll be interesting to see if the Club will be saved from itself or left to crash and burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

It'll be interesting to see if the Club will be saved from itself or left to crash and burn.

FAI will never kick them out tbh. First Division already tiny. Divil a word about the investigations in the past while

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

FAI will never kick them out tbh. First Division already tiny. Divil a word about the investigations in the past while

FAI are going to get a kick in the backside from the Internation Centre for Sport Security if the article on the times.co.uk is to be believed.

Article is worth a read.

Anyone looking forward to the Triathlon this year. Not participating, but I might just head into town for the after hours celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is it on this year?

Advertisement