Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT Awards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Always a big song and dance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

eviltwin wrote: »
    Maybe it's a generational thing. If you're young you've probably grown up with homosexuality being normal and acceptable even celebrated. Awards like this seem pointless. I grew up in the 80's when it was a different time, a gay man beaten to death in Dublin just for being gay and his killers walking free, young men dying alone of Aids because they had been disowned by their family, rampant homophobia......a lot of people took huge risks personally and professionally being open about their sexuality or being allies to the movement. I don't think there is anything wrong with some acknowledgement of that.

If the awards are going to older campaigners or anyone who took personal or professional risks or actually worked to improve peoples situations, I don't see anything wrong. But when I see things like this mentioned it's always much younger people who are involved and talking about it. To me it comes across as celebration of something that should be simply accepted and unremarkable-the celebration of someones' sexual persuasion in its own right, for its own sake, just seems unnecessary and bizarre to me. As someone said, a song and dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Awards dear? For LGBT people and their allies dear?

HOW VERY DARE THEY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

You mean the "not a member of a minority group that had to fight for equal human rights" day? Just pick any day in the calender year - apart from March 17th - should work.

while I don't care about an awards ceremony or a special day/week/month.

comments like yours annoy me , the idea that a white hetro male doesn't face discrimination is pure ignorance.

You clearly never spent time or had any experience with family court either here or the Uk.

comments like yours annoy me , the idea that a white hetro male doesn't face discrimination is pure ignorance.

You clearly never spent time or had any experience with family court either here or the Uk.

That’s not for being a White hetro Male tho- that’s for being a separated father

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

That’s not for being a White hetro Male tho- that’s for being a separated father

the vast majority in ireland are white and it's definitely a hetro thing the making babies thing.

what I mean is , you can't claim that there is white male hetro privilege when they lose out systemically with an organ of the state.
    not some private business like a baker but a function of the state.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I thought G & T go well together?

BLT is a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

BLT is a classic

Big Lesbian Threesome ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

My queer sister and her partner don't like the T. They don't like being tagged with them, completely different things.

Really? And they identify as queer?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Big Lesbian Threesome ?

Lesbians Give Better Tongue

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

TERFs are seemingly a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You mean the "not a member of a minority group that had to fight for equal human rights" day? Just pick any day in the calender year - apart from March 17th - should work.

You need to take the quote in context.

But in answer to your questions: no, but I have had elsewhere. The idea that Irish/British people discriminate is not a surprise to me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Big Lesbian Threesome ?

Just how big are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Probably TERF's. Bloody awful people, and absolute hypocrites too.

the vast majority in ireland are white and it's definitely a hetro thing the making babies thing.

what I mean is , you can't claim that there is white male hetro privilege when they lose out systemically with an organ of the state.
    not some private business like a baker but a function of the state.

Unmarried fathers have a right to guardianship in this county, but I’m sure you knew that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What's the difference between queer and gay?
    If you're straight and use the word 'queer', you run the risk of being burned at the stake by the offence-seekers.

Just ask Martin O' Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

What's the difference between queer and gay?

Anyway it's fair enough. The whole 'lgbt' thing is kind of a forced collective identity when you think about it. You probably have loads of gays who despise lesbians and transgenders who hate men.

I was thinking about that too when someone mentioned TERFs a few posts back.

It would surely be possible for someone to be a Radical Feminist and a lesbian and transphobic.

So how do they fit into the collective? If they are a lesbian then they fall under the LGBTQ+ umbrella but if they are against trans people and some of the people coming in under the "+" then they can't exactly be excommunicated, can they?

If you're gay, you're gay and that's it. It's not like it can be taken away. So even if you hate feminists and have a bad attitude towards trans people and think that "two spirit" is a load of nonsense the LGBTQ+ community is still going to try and speak for you.

Is it possible to be "L" but also not be part of "LGBT"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So who one the gayest newcomer in a supporting role award?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    If you're straight and use the word 'queer', you run the risk of being burned at the stake by the offence-seekers.

Just ask Martin O' Neill.

When you use it in a derogatory manner expect it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Originally Posted by Its Snowing

The whole 'lgbt' thing is kind of a forced collective identity when you think about it. You probably have loads of gays who despise lesbians and transgenders who hate men.

I don't care for the term LGBT 'community' as if we all live in some kind of exclusive world or society of our own. I'm not part of a LGBT community I'm part of the LGBT demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I see LBGT history month is starting to become a thing. I swear, I actually think there are some people who prefer to be marginalized and are not happy unless they are being shunned by society.

It's only cool when it's not fully accepted, remember. There's no mileage in mainstream. A lot of LGBTQ people, especially the older ones, hate that there's no struggle in announcing a non-straight sexuality now. The standard reaction to someone announcing that they're LGBTQ is 'uh huh, and...?' There's no currency or uniqueness in it any more.

The lobby groups have succeeded, and that's great. Problem is, they exceeded their own expectations.

On a side note, two long standing lesbians of my acquaintance recently got married. To men. Said they couldn't stand being with women, the bickering was horrible.

Now they now how we suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Probably TERF's. Bloody awful people, and absolute hypocrites too.

Maybe but some certainly have a few good points imo and I don't agree that they can be reduced to ''awful people''.
    Womens' positions in politics being given to men who have not transitioned, have no experience of an womens' issues whatsoever, and don't appear to have womens' best interests at heart. Lily Madigan springs to mind. Not to mention how strange it was to appoint someone so incredibly immature and young to the job.

The bullying insistence on the supposed right of non natal women who haven't transitioned, to enter and use girls changing rooms, is another valid concern.

So called TERFS voice concerns around the use of hormones and chest bindings for young people. A sensible objection imo.

I'd say Lily Madigan is a bloody awful person, and so are a few like him who want to intimidate people into letting them invade womens spaces.

Some truth in the joke that says TERF = Tells Everyone Real Facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't care for the term LGBT 'community' as if we all live in some kind of exclusive world or society of our own. I'm not part of a LGBT community I'm part of the LGBT demographic.

Yeah I don't feel like I am part of any community. I'm bi and I'm married to a woman, most of my friends are straight, have some that are bi and some that are gay. I've been asked if I feel different when me and my wife are out with a straight couple and it baffles me, no, I don't feel any different nor do they treat us any differently. We're couples, that's about it.

I am an LGBT Human Rights campaigner and I definitely identify with a gay community.

Being part of the struggle for Rights has bound us together.

Some people feel less of an identity- that’s fine

TERFs are seemingly a thing.

But can a TERF identify as Queer? That just makes no sense at all

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

AllForIt wrote: »

I’m the same.
    I’ve nothing to to with the LGBT community despite being gay.

Maybe but some certainly have a few good points imo and I don't agree that they can be reduced to ''awful people''.
    Womens' positions in politics being given to men who have not transitioned, have no experience of an womens' issues whatsoever, and don't appear to have womens' best interests at heart. Lily Madigan springs to mind. Not to mention how strange it was to appoint someone so incredibly immature and young to the job.

The bullying insistence on the supposed right of non natal women who haven't transitioned, to enter and use girls changing rooms, is another valid concern.

So called TERFS voice concerns around the use of hormones and chest bindings for young people. A sensible objection imo.

I'd say Lily Madigan is a bloody awful person, and so are a few like him who want to intimidate people into letting them invade womens spaces.

Some truth in the joke that says TERF = Tells Everyone Real Facts.

I dont think I have read any good points from TERFs ever. It tends to be transphobia dressed up as "common sense". I have never met any TERFs but any that I have across online are in most cases bullies with an extreme transphobic agenda full of hatred.

The idea of Lily Madigan "invading" womens spaces is laughable. She has been welcomed into them and it is only an extreme minority that wants to bully her out.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Unmarried fathers have a right to guardianship in this county, but I’m sure you knew that

They dont unless certain prerequisites are met specifically they must live with the mother for at least one year and three months with the newborn

Otherwise if there is no consent by the mother the unmarried father has to apply to the district court

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

John Inman would get my vote. I dont think any LGBT person has ever topped him, although Lieutenant Gruber in Allo Allo made a good run at it.

Advertisement